Mount Pleasant, IA
Iowa Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Iowa Wesleyan University

Heather

All of my fellow classmates who are getting their education degree are taking their classes and grades very seriously as hard working students.

I would love to have the opportunity to go back and have a little chat with myself during my senior year at Fairfield High School back in 1994. I would have been 16 years younger and not as mature and wise as I am today. I would have two things to discuss with myself. Take all of my classes in high school seriously. I know I was a B average student. It would not have taken too much more effort to be an A student. The next talk with myself would be about waiting to start a family. If I knew 16 years ago that I would be going back to college at age 34, I would not have dreamed I would have a husband, three children and a home to take care of. It would have been so much easier to focus on my college career only instead of waiting to try and juggle three things at once. It makes life a huge challenge. It is wonderful to have a family, don't get me wrong. I wish I would have made different choices about my college career and family years ago. It would have made life much easier.

To be a student at Iowa Wesleyan College you do not need to have a particular degree in mind. They offer a wide variety of classes to begin your college career with them. This is a great four year institution to get your undergraduate degree. The student must be very serious about their college career and grades. The professors are very highly qualified to be teaching the classes. They expect the best from each of their students.

Laura

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would say have fun. You are only a college student once. I would advise myself to stay on campus in the dorms my freshmen year. I believe living in the dorms is one part of college life I didn't get to experience. If I would have lived on campus my freshmen year, I could have still had my boyfriend and participated in more activities. I would also advise myself to get involved as much as possible. My freshmen year I was active in a soriety and participated in a couple of activies a week. Now, that I am out of my soriety, married, and starting a family I hardly ever go to extracurricular activities. I would suggest staying involved and making long lasting friends. Don't get me wrong, I love the life I currently have, but I have missed out on part of college life that many experience.

I wish I was aware of all the activies that were available on this campus. I hadn't realized that there are activities going on all the time. Some of the activities include movie night, bingo night, dances, and etc. Our student body is very active. I also wish I would have known that living on campus makes a difference. If you live on campus it is easier to make friends and participate in all the activities that the college offers.

The worst thing about my school is the availability of parking for commuter students. I drive thirty miles to school and usually have to park off campus. I pay the same amount for my schooling as residential students yet, there are only twenty to thirty parking spaces available to commuter students. I find it upsetting that they reserve parking spots for residential students , but not for commuters. In reality, commuters need the parking because they are driving there everyday. I find it frustrating when I see residential students parking in the only spots available for commuters.

Madeline

Iowa Wesleyan College has two or so strong departments (Music and Nursing) where students can do great things, but most of the other students believe it is too small and choose to drink as often as possible.

You will be lonely. It is difficult to find friends who have the same goals and beliefs that you do because you believe in "Serious Fun" meaning you do not enjoy getting slobering drunk and skipping class. You are a good student who has amazing potential and great goals. Don't give up. Keep pushing to be your best and make friends with your professors, they will be the people that can help you the most. You will struggle financially because dad was unemployed for so long, but don't let it worry you to the point where you forget about your personal health. Take every good opportunity you get, the money needed will find a way. Call home often and stay close to those who make you feel your best. Chin up.

A student should attend this school if they want a close enviroment with strong student/professor relationships, if they know they want to excel in Music or Nursing, or feel like they want time to explore majors in a community college feel of a 4-year university.

Wendy

very quiet and calm. this school offers a wide range of diversity with students from more than 40 countries. includes many extra curricular activites and on campus activities to get involved in. Iowa Wesleyan college is a small friendly community.

As a college Student and young Professional Woman I am proud to be able to say that I have learned more than I ever thought I would learn in the Five years I have been a college Student. However, looking back now I am able to join the number of people who often wish they knew back then what I know now. Therefore the advice that I would give myself about the transition from high school life to College is that you are responsible for yourself. Although teachers take daily attendace, nobody is forcing you to attend college and I am only sitting in that seat each day because I choose to so it is my responsibilty to attend class on time and get the work done. Although I have encountered many caring professors nobody is able to carry you through this rewarding process but yourself. Expanding on my advice I would also enlighten myself on how important it is to stay true to the values my parents worked so hard to instill in me and not to follow the crowd. Just because it seems like everyones doing something not everybody is and its not always right.

anyone who does not keep an open mind

Michelle

Big enough to be culturally diverse, yet small enough to care for each student individually.

If I could return to my former-self and offer advice, I'd tell me to be more extroverted and less self-centered. The life before you (me) is mixed up, unpredictible and heart-wrenching at times, so be flexible, be centered in God, and don't try to control things that are out of your control. I would also suggest that through the hard times, the times when your (my) heart is breaking, rely on your friends and allow yourself time to grieve and cry. And as a voice of encouragement, you (I) am very resilient and will make it through. Listen to God, listen to Mom, and everything will work out. Don't worry about loosing the friends you (I) had in high school, because the ones in the college world are more honest, more open, more compassionate, and will teach you far great things than those you've grown up with. And home, no matter how small and insignificant it seems now, will always be home. You will return there many times. Use it to refocus, reconnect, and plan your attack. Good luck, and God's speed. P.S. be nicer to Mom and Dad.

The class sizes. They are small and conducive to individualized learning. The professors are educated and see me as a person and not just another student or face in the crowd. I can go to them with questions and they always find time to help sort out the answers.

William

Take a break before starting back to school. Don't attend a community college, start out at a private college like Berry or ITT Tech. Go as far as you can why you still have the time. It will be too hard to work a full time job and go to school full time. Take advantage of the free time that you have.

I could transfer my LPN licence here and be done with my BSN in about 21 months. That was the main reason I came here. The class sizes are small and the professors are available to help with questions. The campus is small and you don't have to go very far to get to your next class, even if it is in another building. The president of the school knows a lot of the students by name, I thought that was really nice.

Mandy, I know this isn't how you planned it, getting your GED when everyone else you know is graduating... but hey, not everything goes exactly as planned. You can still be ANYTHING you want and don't let anyone tell you differently. It'll be hard, don't get me wrong, but it's worht it. Remember what your goals are and stay focused. You'll had plenty of time to have fun when you're done with college and less worries about financing those excursions. It won't be easy, getting use to going to classes, and time management will be something you'll need to work on. But by the time you've been in school awhile you'll get the hang of it. Do your best, and since you didn't learn it in high school, learn how to study. Even if your best gets you a B in the class, you tried and gave it 100%. Lastly, don't be afraid to fail. Nobodies perfect, as we're both aware, and it's not the end of the world. At the time it may feel like it, but I promise, you'll live! Love- Me

THe worst thing about Iowa Wesleyan College is the meal plans. If you live on campus you can't get a meal plan less than 12 meals a week. If you live in ST hall you have to have a 15meal/week meal plan. In the nursing program I don't use anywhere near that. The meal times are also very short. Hot breakfast is only served from 7:30am-8am. If you have an 8am class you have to rush. The campus is small so that helps a little.

Krystal

IWC is a small, private college in iowa, where you recieve a more one on one education.

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself, I would tell myself to wake up. I would tell myself about the struggles of college. I would tell myself to study and take pride in my school work. I would also tell myself to be more involved with my school and community. I know i missed out on so many great opportunities that I will never get back such as, sports, fundraisers,plays,band, and even academics. I look at my classmates and all the fun they had in high school and i wish i could take back my years there. I would also advise myself to actually do homework and study for tests and not just slid by barely passing my classes. I could have studied hard and got good grades and even posssibly got scholarships for college. I now know how expensivie college is and how much hose scholarships would have helped me.

The worst thing about IWC is the parking situation. The school is set up more for residential students.

Holly

Iowa Wesleyan College is a very diverse college with not only the students but the faculty as well, it establishes great work ethic and enforces learning the importance of volunteering and giving back to your community.

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would have all sorts of advice! First of all, I would talk about finances. I would advise myself to start applying for scholarships as early as my second or third year of High School. Also related, I would advise myself to start saving my money right away as it will be needed throughout college. Next, I would advise to myself to really look into my college choices and apply to each one that I have interest in and to make campus visits to each one of them. Campus visits really help students get a feel for everything about the school like campus life, academic life, and so on. Never settle for a college. Make sure you like the school as a whole and always stay focused!

The worst thing about my school is the cost of tution. With Iowa Wesleyan College being a private school, tution is much higher and at times I don't feel like I get my full learning potential from the school.

Daniel

Knowing what I know now about college life, now that I have experienced the difference between college and high school. Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself in my final year in high school I would say, "you need to take your time, relax, you will make many new friends, college is very similar, and the only difference is that you are totally responsible having the power to choose what you want to achieve while in college." This isn't much I would tell myself and some of it seems that it may put pressure on my high school self, but only I would know what to say to myself in the past. high school was fun and it will be in my memory forever, my friends, family, and coaches. College it is just another step to my dreams, and I will enjoy every minute of it as I did in high school.

There are many things that I wish I had known before I came to Iowa Wesleyan College. I however would of been happy with one and that is I wish I could of known that choosing a college is more difficult than everyone thinks. While in high school I knew I was going to college and pushed off serious searching until it was late. This mistake makes me realize that in choosing a college, you need to choose a college similar to yourself and that is what I wish I knew before I went to Iowa Wesleyan College.

The worst thing about Iowa Wesleyan College is that the college has nothing around it to keep the students occupied when class hours are over. You just go to class, do your homework, and go to your dorm or a friends dorm until you're bored there as well. The only other thing that you could do is if you had a car and enough money for gas is go to Iowa City. This is the worst thing about Iowa Wesleyan College in my eyes.

Iowa Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.