Mount Pleasant, IA
Iowa Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Iowa Wesleyan University

Daniel

There are many things that I wish I had known before I came to Iowa Wesleyan College. I however would of been happy with one and that is I wish I could of known that choosing a college is more difficult than everyone thinks. While in high school I knew I was going to college and pushed off serious searching until it was late. This mistake makes me realize that in choosing a college, you need to choose a college similar to yourself and that is what I wish I knew before I went to Iowa Wesleyan College.

The worst thing about Iowa Wesleyan College is that the college has nothing around it to keep the students occupied when class hours are over. You just go to class, do your homework, and go to your dorm or a friends dorm until you're bored there as well. The only other thing that you could do is if you had a car and enough money for gas is go to Iowa City. This is the worst thing about Iowa Wesleyan College in my eyes.

Knowing what I know now about college life, now that I have experienced the difference between college and high school. Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself in my final year in high school I would say, "you need to take your time, relax, you will make many new friends, college is very similar, and the only difference is that you are totally responsible having the power to choose what you want to achieve while in college." This isn't much I would tell myself and some of it seems that it may put pressure on my high school self, but only I would know what to say to myself in the past. high school was fun and it will be in my memory forever, my friends, family, and coaches. College it is just another step to my dreams, and I will enjoy every minute of it as I did in high school.

College is an experience that you will never forget. Keep an open mind because you never know who you may meet or what types of new things you may do. Concentrate on all tasks at hand, but also remember to make the most of your time and all of your experiences. Some people aren't able to attend college due to family, personal or financial reasons. You are fortunate enough to be able to get an outstanding education, don't take a single minute of it for granted.

They have a great extended learning program, which enables me to attend school in the evenings and online.

Drake

To go back in time would be great, but I do not wish I could go back. The reason is because if it was not for my action in high school, i would not have join the Army Guard. I am now a Aircraft Electrican. I chose to go to school when I got back from Iraq. The most important thing is that I met the future wife of mine. There is no good way to prepare for college life. You just have to take it one day at a time. If I had to talk to myself I would have said to apply myself more in school.

A person who is willing to work hard and focus on their studies and then play. A person who wants a degree. Someone that does honest work and doesn't cheat.

Someone that does not have work ethic or the motivation to do their work. People who come here to party. Students that skip class all the time and not willing to learn anything. Also, students that cheat.

Nathan

Given the opportunity to advise myself on the transitions from high school to college life, I would focus primarily on balance. There are so many new experiences and freedoms associated with college life, and exeriencing as many new opportunites can help you discover yourself and expose your full potentials, and yet at the same time, those same experiences can sometimes overshadow studies and the learning aspect of college. College is a fresh start for many, and with thousands of new people to meet and hundreds of clubs, athletics, fraternities, sororities, parties and everything else, classwork can easily get forgotten in the rush of experiences being aimed at you. Another form of balance is being financially savvy with the money available to you. Decisions on living on campus, transportation, buying used or new books, food allowances, daily living expenses, paying for classes in loans or trying to work. These are all things to think about prior to committing to a college, as well as the type of lifestyle lived once there. Everything has a cost, and balancing necessities and desires can help you from incurring financial strains that end up adversely effecting grades and the college experience as a whole.

Esther

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and reflect on my high school senior years, I would write out or map out my educational plan and career plan. For the past years, I have been working fulltime and going to school, but I wish I had the funds I would have solely focus on my education and then worry about work after obtaining my degree. I feel like all those years of working minimum wage jobs was a completed waste of my time. If I were a high school senior again, I would take a lot of advanced placement courses and that will give me more college credit hours. High school senior years , is a time to start thinking what it is you want to do in life. For a poor kid like me it was a time to get out and find work. I should have applied for scholarships, grants and see what finanical assistance I could get to complete my degree. It is also important to get excellent grades so you can get into good schools. The advice I would give myself would be to focus and achieve my degree and my career goal.

My classmates are mostly from Iowa. Most of them have never been exposed to other cultures. A lot of them attended high school in very small towns surrounding Mount Pleasant, IA, where Iowa Wesleyan College is located. A lot of my classmates reside in school housing. We have a few that are from Illinois and Missouri. We have one from California and one from New Jersey.

My classmates range from young, single people to adult learners with families and full-time jobs to deal with on top of classes and homework.

The campus is small and comfortable; the drive to get there is reasonable as a commuter student; the college offers an array of ways to obtain your degree includingon site classes, day and evening classes, on-line courses and mutiple campus sites for evening students.

If I could go back and give my high school self some real advice about college, I would tell myself that life is waiting for you. Pursue your education now! Don't rush to start living like a grown-up and sell yourself short on your real dreams for a degree and a career. College may be hard, it may seem like it takes forever to get through, you may feel like you already did all the studying and tests and papers you can take in high school, but it does not compare with working a job you don't love. It does not compare to the difficulties of trying to be a wife, a mother, and working full-time all while taking classes and doing homework. It is much harder to do it this way. It takes much longer to do it this way. Pursue the highest level of education you can while you are young, knowledge is fresh at your finger tips, and you can give it your all without selling anyone or any part of your life short. It will be worth it in the long run!

Justin

My classmates are very diverse and very interesting.

My classmates are very diverse and very interesting.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself during my senior year of High School, I would tell myself a lot of things. The most important bit of information I would tell myself is to make sure I go to college with an open mind. I would tell myself to clear my head of all the ideas and assumptions I have made over the years of what college is and make sure I go there with a clear head ready to figure out for myself what college is really all about. Another bit of information I would tell myself to make the transition easier is to come in to school with a positive attitude. Don't come in thinking, "Okay, great another four years of school." Come in thinking that these are going to be the best four years of your life and that what you do here determines where you will be in the future. I would tell myself to make sure to take everything very seriously right from the start because if you don't, you will only make the college experience worse for yourself.

Someone who seeks an urban environment, large student population, a lot to do outside of class, a good dorm, and a modernized institution should not attend this school.

Yvonne

I love Iowa Wesleyan College because you are not just a "number" at this school. The faculty wants to ensure your success, educationally and beyond graduation. They have an office especially for career placement after graduation and the student inbox is utilized to let us know about new job opportunities as they become available.

I would tell myself that I am capable of being college student and that the only person that could stop me from fulfilling my goals is ME. Believing in myself would be key to my success. Once I did that, the sky would be the limit. Working hard reaps great benefits. In college, the end result is not just a degree but preparation for a career that will pay great dividends. You get as much out of college as you put in. If you slack on studies, not only does your grades show it, but it makes it more difficult for you to get through the coursework ahead. Discipline is crucial to staying on track. This is a good trait to learn as it is applicable to developing good work habits. Accountability is learned in college as well. You are to come up with your own original ideas and produce work from your own intellect. College is an exciting opportunity. You will be actually working toward a goal (a degree) that will substantially influence the course of your life. Remain focused on the prize that awaits you.

Iowa Wesleyan College campus has the "small-town" feel and you feel right at home when you are there. The campus is beautiful and there are many historic buildings of interest to admire. They have many grants and other programs to help you pay for college so that much of it doesn't need to be paid out-of-pocket. This is a big plus for students having difficulty financing their education at other colleges or universities. I qualified for more financial at IWC then my local junior college.

Mark

The ability to take all my classes at night , allowing me to work during the day. This was untill my student teaching and that had to be done during the day. It was great the teachers were teachers with real experience in what they were teaching as most were teachers during the days, teaching about teaching in our classes at night. so real world experience. It also allowed me as a non-traditional student to work and support my family while getting a quality education.

How helpful and caring the entire staff at IWC are and wish I would have started a long time ago.

Tell myself the story of how it is to be the age I am now just finishing my BA degree, and starting work on other endorsements. How much better my life over all would/will be finishing my degree and doing what I knew all along was my passion, to teach. Not wait so long in life to finish, so that I am starting over at my age rather than looking back at a satifiying career and thinking of retirement in a few years. Try to emphasize how much better life is or would be if I had done this many years ago. That no I don't regret my choices but feel that making wiser choices sooner would leave me in a much better position than I am in at this juncture of my life.

Regina

The staff is nice and always willing to help in any way possible.

The staff is nice and always willing to help in any way possible.

To observe several options before making a decision what your major is. Try to imagine what your life will be in fifteen years and concider what job would best fit you. Also, explore all of your options-for example, tour several colleges and/or Universities and speak to the administrators. Along with speaking to your high school counselor about all of your options, speak with someone in the field you plan to major in since many people do not realize exactly what the jobs entitle. Set your goals high and commit to making college your main priority.

That I can only miss 2 times, then my grade goes down without a doctors excuse. This is especially hard for me because I am a single mother of 3 small children and they get sick and it is hard to find a sitter for a sick child.

Iowa Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.