Mount Pleasant, IA
Iowa Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Iowa Wesleyan University

Drake

To go back in time would be great, but I do not wish I could go back. The reason is because if it was not for my action in high school, i would not have join the Army Guard. I am now a Aircraft Electrican. I chose to go to school when I got back from Iraq. The most important thing is that I met the future wife of mine. There is no good way to prepare for college life. You just have to take it one day at a time. If I had to talk to myself I would have said to apply myself more in school.

A person who is willing to work hard and focus on their studies and then play. A person who wants a degree. Someone that does honest work and doesn't cheat.

Someone that does not have work ethic or the motivation to do their work. People who come here to party. Students that skip class all the time and not willing to learn anything. Also, students that cheat.

Nathan

Given the opportunity to advise myself on the transitions from high school to college life, I would focus primarily on balance. There are so many new experiences and freedoms associated with college life, and exeriencing as many new opportunites can help you discover yourself and expose your full potentials, and yet at the same time, those same experiences can sometimes overshadow studies and the learning aspect of college. College is a fresh start for many, and with thousands of new people to meet and hundreds of clubs, athletics, fraternities, sororities, parties and everything else, classwork can easily get forgotten in the rush of experiences being aimed at you. Another form of balance is being financially savvy with the money available to you. Decisions on living on campus, transportation, buying used or new books, food allowances, daily living expenses, paying for classes in loans or trying to work. These are all things to think about prior to committing to a college, as well as the type of lifestyle lived once there. Everything has a cost, and balancing necessities and desires can help you from incurring financial strains that end up adversely effecting grades and the college experience as a whole.

Esther

My classmates are mostly from Iowa. Most of them have never been exposed to other cultures. A lot of them attended high school in very small towns surrounding Mount Pleasant, IA, where Iowa Wesleyan College is located. A lot of my classmates reside in school housing. We have a few that are from Illinois and Missouri. We have one from California and one from New Jersey.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and reflect on my high school senior years, I would write out or map out my educational plan and career plan. For the past years, I have been working fulltime and going to school, but I wish I had the funds I would have solely focus on my education and then worry about work after obtaining my degree. I feel like all those years of working minimum wage jobs was a completed waste of my time. If I were a high school senior again, I would take a lot of advanced placement courses and that will give me more college credit hours. High school senior years , is a time to start thinking what it is you want to do in life. For a poor kid like me it was a time to get out and find work. I should have applied for scholarships, grants and see what finanical assistance I could get to complete my degree. It is also important to get excellent grades so you can get into good schools. The advice I would give myself would be to focus and achieve my degree and my career goal.

My classmates range from young, single people to adult learners with families and full-time jobs to deal with on top of classes and homework.

The campus is small and comfortable; the drive to get there is reasonable as a commuter student; the college offers an array of ways to obtain your degree includingon site classes, day and evening classes, on-line courses and mutiple campus sites for evening students.

If I could go back and give my high school self some real advice about college, I would tell myself that life is waiting for you. Pursue your education now! Don't rush to start living like a grown-up and sell yourself short on your real dreams for a degree and a career. College may be hard, it may seem like it takes forever to get through, you may feel like you already did all the studying and tests and papers you can take in high school, but it does not compare with working a job you don't love. It does not compare to the difficulties of trying to be a wife, a mother, and working full-time all while taking classes and doing homework. It is much harder to do it this way. It takes much longer to do it this way. Pursue the highest level of education you can while you are young, knowledge is fresh at your finger tips, and you can give it your all without selling anyone or any part of your life short. It will be worth it in the long run!

Justin

My classmates are very diverse and very interesting.

My classmates are very diverse and very interesting.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself during my senior year of High School, I would tell myself a lot of things. The most important bit of information I would tell myself is to make sure I go to college with an open mind. I would tell myself to clear my head of all the ideas and assumptions I have made over the years of what college is and make sure I go there with a clear head ready to figure out for myself what college is really all about. Another bit of information I would tell myself to make the transition easier is to come in to school with a positive attitude. Don't come in thinking, "Okay, great another four years of school." Come in thinking that these are going to be the best four years of your life and that what you do here determines where you will be in the future. I would tell myself to make sure to take everything very seriously right from the start because if you don't, you will only make the college experience worse for yourself.

Someone who seeks an urban environment, large student population, a lot to do outside of class, a good dorm, and a modernized institution should not attend this school.

Yvonne

I would tell myself that I am capable of being college student and that the only person that could stop me from fulfilling my goals is ME. Believing in myself would be key to my success. Once I did that, the sky would be the limit. Working hard reaps great benefits. In college, the end result is not just a degree but preparation for a career that will pay great dividends. You get as much out of college as you put in. If you slack on studies, not only does your grades show it, but it makes it more difficult for you to get through the coursework ahead. Discipline is crucial to staying on track. This is a good trait to learn as it is applicable to developing good work habits. Accountability is learned in college as well. You are to come up with your own original ideas and produce work from your own intellect. College is an exciting opportunity. You will be actually working toward a goal (a degree) that will substantially influence the course of your life. Remain focused on the prize that awaits you.

I love Iowa Wesleyan College because you are not just a "number" at this school. The faculty wants to ensure your success, educationally and beyond graduation. They have an office especially for career placement after graduation and the student inbox is utilized to let us know about new job opportunities as they become available.

Iowa Wesleyan College campus has the "small-town" feel and you feel right at home when you are there. The campus is beautiful and there are many historic buildings of interest to admire. They have many grants and other programs to help you pay for college so that much of it doesn't need to be paid out-of-pocket. This is a big plus for students having difficulty financing their education at other colleges or universities. I qualified for more financial at IWC then my local junior college.

Mark

Tell myself the story of how it is to be the age I am now just finishing my BA degree, and starting work on other endorsements. How much better my life over all would/will be finishing my degree and doing what I knew all along was my passion, to teach. Not wait so long in life to finish, so that I am starting over at my age rather than looking back at a satifiying career and thinking of retirement in a few years. Try to emphasize how much better life is or would be if I had done this many years ago. That no I don't regret my choices but feel that making wiser choices sooner would leave me in a much better position than I am in at this juncture of my life.

The ability to take all my classes at night , allowing me to work during the day. This was untill my student teaching and that had to be done during the day. It was great the teachers were teachers with real experience in what they were teaching as most were teachers during the days, teaching about teaching in our classes at night. so real world experience. It also allowed me as a non-traditional student to work and support my family while getting a quality education.

How helpful and caring the entire staff at IWC are and wish I would have started a long time ago.

Regina

To observe several options before making a decision what your major is. Try to imagine what your life will be in fifteen years and concider what job would best fit you. Also, explore all of your options-for example, tour several colleges and/or Universities and speak to the administrators. Along with speaking to your high school counselor about all of your options, speak with someone in the field you plan to major in since many people do not realize exactly what the jobs entitle. Set your goals high and commit to making college your main priority.

The staff is nice and always willing to help in any way possible.

That I can only miss 2 times, then my grade goes down without a doctors excuse. This is especially hard for me because I am a single mother of 3 small children and they get sick and it is hard to find a sitter for a sick child.

Stevie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say to myself, "Okay Stevie you need to start getting into gear for college. You need to try your hardest while in college right off the bat. If you start trying your best right away and don't slack off, it will all seem like a breeze. Don't let yourself fall behind. Get things done, such as home work, as soon as possible so that there can be time for other things that you may choose to do. Remember Stevie College comes first. Don't let the fun things distract you before your school work is done. Don't get me wrong, you still need to get out and have fun but not too much fun. Now on a different note, although you will be trying hard to do well in classes, you need to keep your own mental and physical health in good shape. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. If you are feeling down talk to a friend of a counselor; don't keep it bottled up. Remember listen to your heart.

I consider the best thing about my school to be the size. It is small enough that you can get the help and attention you to in classes. It is also small enough that you can make a difference by joining in clubs and sports teams without having to compete for spots. However it is large enough that you feel like there are enough students to make you feel like you are on a diverse campus, with just the right amount of familiar faces and unfamilar faces.

I think that knid of person that shouldn't attend this school is one that has grew up in of lived in for a long time, in a big city. I feel that the students here from big cities seem to feel cooped up and that there is nothing to do in this small Iowa town of Mount Pleasant. But on the other hand sometimes it is good to move to a new place so that you can have a well rounded expierence of the world and other places you may not be used to.

Mandy

Iowa Wesleyan is supportive and flexible; perfect for a non-traditional student.

If I could go back in time and advise myself as a high school senior, I would begin by telling myself not to be in such a hurry to move out on my own. I would assure myself that by staying at home I wouldn't be restricted in life as I once thought, but actually leaving so many more opprotunities available to me. I would recommend taking a variety of classes and having an open mind when exploring future career possibilities. I would suggest focusing on math, because it was the one area I have always struggled with and a skill that is necessary through school. I would let myself know about the value of getting involved in school activities and volunteer work. Finally I would remind myself to enjoy this time and get through it when you are young, because it is one of the few times in your life once you're an adult that you can focus so much of your time on yourself. Your future will happen whether or not you are actively involved in the process.

I mostly brag about the various locations and night hours that allow me to work full time and continue towards my degree.

Iowa Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.