Mount Pleasant, IA
Iowa Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Iowa Wesleyan University

Renee

The Extended Learning Program is the most unique aspect of my school. Classes are offered so that I can get most of my education in or near my hometown so that I do not have to leave my life behind. Let's face it, education is important to me, but it is not as important as my kids, husband and job. If it was not for the Extended Learning Program, I would not be finishing up my education at this point in my life.

Life is unpredictable! Have a plan! Decide what you want to do when you grow up! If you are still undecided, take all of your general education classes first! Go to a community college first! Do not take more in student loans than your tuition, fees and books cost you! Even if you feel lonely, stick it out because it can only get better! Think with your brain, not your heart! Always go to class. If you just show up for a class, you will do 100% better than staying at home in bed! Study, study, study! Try not to procrastinate! Never give up! Stay focused! Smile and stay positive! Have fun and take some risks! Make friends, they make the rough times better! Life will never be like "the good old days" when you were a child! The biggest advice I can give is to flexible because you never know what life is going to throw at you!

When I am discussing school to my friends, I want them to realize that I am getting a quality education and it is a lot of hard work. I am not just paying for my dipolma, I am definately earning it. My instructors realize that my classmates and I are busy adults who have families, work, and are trying to better ourselves with a higher education, but they still expect us to earn our grades by showing up for class and doing our work. When I am done with school I will know that I earned my degree.

Iowa Wesleyan College is best known for its small class sizes and great campus community. The class sizes are small and great for getting one on one attention. All my professors know me by name and they actually care about each and every student. The most I have had in one class has been about 25 students, however majority of my classes have less than 15 students. The campus is also very nice. It's not a huge campus so that makes it easier to get to your classes on time and its also less confusing.

The most unique thing about Iowa Wesleyan College compared to other schools is that it is a small college compared to a huge university. All the other schools I considered were huge universities that would have more students in one general education class than I have in my prospective graduating class here at IWC. This is unique because practically everyone knows everybody and I love that. You can walk from one class to another and say, "Hi," to practically everyone in the hallway.

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self advice about college life and making the transition, I would most likely tell myself to not be so stressed and just go with the flow. During the summer before moving 2 hours away from home to go to college I was a nervous wreck. I was stressed about every little thing; getting all the cute stuff for my dorm, how I was going to get my books, what if I didn't make any friends, etc. However, now after making that transition I know it wasn't as scary as I assumed it was going to be. We had three days of orientation that told me everything I needed to know and there were so many upper classmen ready and eager to help me with all my questions. And all of the freshman were in the same boat, so we all seemed to ban together and I made friends within the first hour of being there! I know if I would have told myself this when I was a senior, I would have been able to chill out and relax during my last summer before college.

zhihui

College life is a transition of our lives. We will become mature and forward-looking. During the study I can understand what I want and what I need. 1. Spend more time to communicate with others and listen to others' ideas and suggetions. Do the best to be a nice person to everyone around you. 2. Work hard. If I want to go to graduate school to continue my study and pursue my dream, I need to word hard and get a high GPA. 3. Service learing and intenship is very important in college life, it will improve your life skills, and teach yoau how to have a kind, and an accomodating heart. So whenever you have free time. do this.

All the people whoever have their own dream and want to pursue it through the college education.

I think my college is good. We have beautiful campus, though it is small. We have nice teachers and classmates. This little city is very good for study and do educational things, because there is not too much people and cars. It's quite and can make students have a good mood to study.

Brian

At our college, our professors are always there for you. They go out of there way to introduce you to schools that you may continue your education at to obtain a masters or doctorate. The people here are friendly, and if they cannot help you, they will find the person that can help you and get back to you. It is a small enough campus, where you will get to know everyone. Personally, they are helping me prepare for my graduate work, and have introduced me to different programs that I may consider going into in the future.

Life isn't about what you know, but who you know. As long as people are on your side, you can accomplish things that you may have never thought were possible. All the talk about college parties are true. They happen on the weekends, and kids tend to do things that they may not have done if they were not in the condition that they were in at that time, but that does not make them bad people. They still understand what is right and what is wrong, even if they may not remember where they are. Always be yourself. People respect the fact that you are willing to be yourself and strive for your own goals. When you have a problem, there are plenty of people to talk to. Problems will arise, but you will have many friends to talk to about them. Faculty and staff can also help, because they are interested in your success as a person. The final thing to remember is family. Friends will come and go, but your family will always be the backbone of your success. It is important to stay in touch with your family, because they are your biggest fans.

Our food is very repetitive. Once you learn the schedule, then it doesn't seem to taste as good. However, our student government is working hard to change that. Our school does not have its own personal rec-center, but the president is considering adding it into his plan for the college. The dorms are not flashy like some of the bigger public schools, but they allow for you to be yourself. It takes a little extra work to make it a true home away from home, but you get to express yourself however you want to.

Kati

My nursing classmate are most white middle class very conservative individuals, while my classmates outside of my major are very diverse but not serious about school and care more about athletics.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it is socially acceptable to go to a junior college. I would tell myself to go to Parkland College because my high school did not adequately prepare me for university-level coursework. Going to this school would have made my college transition academically easier. It would also prepare me more socially because it would force me to branch out with people, rather than just look to my roommate in my dorm. Furthermore, I would tell myself that drinking is not as important/fun as everyone says it is and that iit's not "part of the college experience." I would not let myself feel less fun, less attractive, or less entertaining for not getting drunk with everyone. I would also tell myself not to look for affirmation from men, like most women did in high school, and continue in college, as this leads most women into relationships that are destined to fail. Knowing this would make my transition to a college women would have saved me heartache, lonliness, and pain. However, I am a better woman because of it.

The best thing about my school is that it is small enough so that I am not distracted from my studies and can get around extremely easily, also, my professors are very accomodating and helpful.

I would probably tell myself to take a year off to really find myself and to really decide what it is that you want to do in life. I love school, but I went straight to college after graduation and within the first two years was burnt out. I would also tell myself that yes college is fun; but, if you really want to get the most out of your college education than you better make sure that you are fully ready to accept the responsibility. College is not like highschool, you pay for your classes and the professors do not force you to attend classes or even to turn in your assignments. But guess what, whether you do what you are supposed to or not, you still have to pay for the classes you signed up for; even if you fail or just decide to change your major half way through your second year. My next bit of advice to myself would be to get everything you can out of the classes you take, don't just do what you have to so you can get a C, the A is always more rewarding.

One of the best things about this school is the small class sizes and the support of faculty. They are always willing to help you when needed, all you have to do is ask. Class sizes are typical under 25, the average is normally around 15. The only classes that are large are the ones that are required by all programs and they still hardly ever go over 30.

About the only type of people that shouldn't attend this school would be atheists. This is a private relgious school and a relgion class is required of all students to graduate.

Blake

KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS!!!! As an athlete I concentrated hard on developing my skills and body, and although I still receved good grades in high school I didn't apply myself like I could and should have. Future Self (FS): "Hello you handsome devil. I have been sent back in time to help you realize your full potential as a person. You have an oppurtunity to be better, do better, and make everyone around you proud to be associated with you." High School Me (HS): Dude, why are you wasting your time talking to me? You need to start selling those time machines and rake in the cash!!!" FS: "Just listen. Trust me; education is the key. Knowledge is the key to success. For example I saw you working hard lifting weights earlier. Do less reps at a slower pace on your sqauts and you'll get stronger as well as gain more mass." HS: "You do know your stuff huh? So whats the catch? Is this some kind of deal?" FS: "No not at all... All I wanted to do is to help you realize that if you apply yourself harder in school, your potential is limitless..."

I wish I knew more about the rural kind of environment. I am from quite a large city and the town Iowa Wesleyan is in is home to approxiamately 10,000. I experienced a little bit of culture shock coming here, but the small town atmosphere and friendliness definitely made me feel welcome. Also I didn't know about the multiculturalism of the campus. It is said to be one of the most multicultural schools in Iowa and it is easy to see why. I love meeting students from around the world who share the different viewpoints openly and proudly.

The worst thing about my current school is that it has lost a lot of it's luster that was associated with it in previous years. I am currently doing a project within the school in association with a few professors to help bring back the times when Iowa Wesleyan was considered one of the best schools in the country. It's a shame that a lot of current students don't understand the significance some of the schools alumni have had on the world; such as Belle Mansfield, James Van Allen and Peggy Whitson.

Davis

My classmates are friendly, intelligent, helpful and always come to class prepared and ready to be involved.

First of all, I would love to go back to being a high school senior. I would take high school more seriously. High school, for the most part is simple, and that causes students to enter college unprepared. I would try to further push myself intellectually because college is all about critical thinking. I would have skipped the parties and the late nights and instead studied and started thinking about what I wanted to do with my life. Entering college I had no idea what I wanted to be, I just always knew I was going to college to play sports. But you can't play sports forever and I would have to get a job and career sooner or later. Start looking and studying about different colleges early. Learn about what you are looking for in a college and make your choice based off of those things. College and growing up comes much faster than you think. You can't be young forever. Build relationships with your teachers and peers. Get your priorities straight. Everyday could be your last. Good luck kid!

A student looking for a larger public university setting with thousands of students. Mount Pleasant has a population of around 8,000 and IWC has a population of around 800. If the student is looking for the "movie" college experience, this is not the place for you. If you are from the south and you love the warm weather, this is not the place for you. You have to be prepared to work, this is not an easy school. You will be challened intellectually every day. So come with your coats and thinking caps!

devon

IF I COULD GO BACK IN TIME AND TELL MYSELF ABOUT THE TRANSITION TO COLLEGE I WOULD HAVE TOLD MYSELF TO PRACTICE STUDYING SKILLS BETTER. I WOULD'VE ALSO TOLD MYSELF TO BE READY TO SEE A NEW ENVIRONMENT BECAUSE THERE ARE NE PEOPLE OF ALL DIFFERENT KINDS IN COLLEGE. I'LL TELL MYSELF THAT COLLEGE MOVES MUCH FASTER THAN HIGHSCHOOL AND BE READY FOR THE SPEED OF THE INSTRUCTORS PACE. ALSO TO BE READY TO MEET NEW PEOPLE AND BE MORE OF A PROFESSIONAL IN PUBLIC.

the best thing about iowa wesleyan college are the instructors and staff they really care about how we feel and about the students passing the course

a person who can deal with a compact area

Iowa Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.