Mount Pleasant, IA
Iowa Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Iowa Wesleyan University

Whitney

I would tell myself, you are fixing to be on your own now. You have the chance to do it right this one time, so let's not fool around, pay attention, and get to working. You are going to need education to be successful in life, and it all starts here in your high school classroom. This is practice you will need to know in college, so do what you have to do to get where you want to go. Listen in class and no clowining around, do your work and stop being lazy, most importantly, pay attention to every detail the teacher says and learn from it. In the long run if you do what I'm telling you, it wil pay off and you will be happy.

Serina

If I were able to go back to my senior year and talking to myself about the college life I would definantly give myself advice. I would remind myself that I will be the one paying for my college and I should go into the field that interests me the most. Getting scholarships to play sports in college is like a commitment. Knowing this you need to remember that your education comes first; because it's the most important. Your goinginto a different sceen, one that your not used to and you need to stay who you are. Changing into who your friends want you to be is just something else you have to worry about on top of school and sports; you don't need that. College is going to be differennt, your going to be away from your family and on your own for the first time. Your going to have to remind youself constantly that you need to stay focused. You're the first out of your family to attend college. You're expected to do well, and most of all you don't want to let down your future, you hold your future in your hands.

I enjoy the smallness of the campus. It's big enough for you to know your in college, but small enough so that the college life is not so over whelming. The campus being smaller is an easier way to stay focused. The classes aren't too packed that your a number to the professors, they know your names when you walk through the door; your not a number. You are able to make that adjustment from high school to a 4 year, then on to a University if you chose to.

The worst thing about my college, is the snow. When it snows here it makes it harder to walk on the sidewalks to get to class. Our maintenance shovel the sidewalks and salt them down, but it freezes over night, so in the morning while were walking to school they're slippery. It's possible for a student to slip and hurt themselves, which isn't good.

Alexander

Learn to study; it is the most important thing to do in college. All the times in high school when all you had to do was listen to a teacher talk and copy word for word what they wrote down, and never went back once you were done. Those days are over. Professors will not give you everything you need to know, the learning is up to you. Professors will lecture for hours and you are expected to write down the key points and go back later in you text books and put things together between your teacher and what the book has to say. It has been said that for every hour of class you have in college you need 3-4 hours of study time, this may seem like a lot but it is an important thing for you to do, without it you will struggle in almost every class you take. Also take it easy in the beginning and don?t try to rush through college. If you try to take to many credits the first semester of freshman year and you are nowhere near ready for the pace of college and it gets to be overwhelming.

The best thing about my school is the small town and small campus atmosphere; it gives students a greater sense of belonging. For one thing, unlike most big schools all of our professors are willing to help students and know us by our names not by some number system. I don?t know of one teacher on the campus of Iowa Wesleyan that isn?t willing to help a student when they ask. This makes college life easier for the students and builds the relationship of professors and students making college life more enjoyable.

Everyone should attend high school, for no one but themselves. In today?s society it is hard to find any employer that is willing to hire somebody that doesn?t have a high school diploma or GED. And if they do well in high school that will get them into college, which in the long run will get them a better job. But only people with the drive to do well should attend high school to make it to college. While everyone needs high school to get somewhere in life, it is the first step in a very long journey.

Drake

If I could go back in time and give myself advice on what I know now, it would be to learn how to study the right way. Back in high school it wasn't hard to study. Usually, your teacher would tell you question for question what would be on the test, so all I would do is study and focus mainly on those questions and memorize them. Not in college. I quickly learned that in college, you must study, and you must study everything from your books and notes. Your instuctor in college might tell you some of the stuff that will be on the test, but when it comes down to it, you must have read the chapters and done the work assigned. I believe that if I would of learned to study in high school the college way, I would of been better off, and wouldn't of had to learn the correct way in college in my first semester.

I wish I would of known more about the school's traditions and what activities go on here. Right now there isn't too many events or activities being organized, but very soon, I hope to change that and get myself and my fellow students involved and bring back traditions and create new ones.

I would have to say the lack of students getting involved in things around campus and the community. I plan on changing that though. I'm really trying to strive for my fellow Iowa Wesleyan students to get involved, and try and get what they want out of college. I believe if you can get one person involved, another will follow, and hopefully after that, more people will follow and make their college life exciting!

Deandra

Iowa Wesleyan can best be described as a muti-cultural environment mainly occupied by students on an athletic or art scholarships. The campus is primarily international students from around the world making our campus one of the most cultural oriented campuses in Iowa. Being on an athletic scholarship myself makes it a welcoming environment to know that the teachers are there to help you and are understanding when it comes to making up class abstances due to sports. The one-on-one attention provided by teachers creates a warm and helpful environment.

Going back in time and warning myself of all the wrong choices I have made over the past four years could have saved me a lot of heartache that I have surpased over the years. Although, now that I look back on everything I have accomplished I would not be where I am today without making those mistakes that taught me a lot about myself and allowed me to grow into the graduating athletic scholarship student I am today. I would certainly assure my past-self to be open too experiencing new things and learning more than judging. There's a world of different people out there and ignorance is not a way to go about living one's life. The stories and advices I could provide myself with would shock a lot of people, but I would not want to deprive myself of going through all those expereiences because in the end it made me what I am today. Generally I would simply assure my past-self to enjoy life, be yourself, and make good choices that you feel are right in the moment. College is about living and learning, do not forget that lesson.

Due to the small class numbers and teachers knowing you by name and not a number,this creates a high school like environment which allows the teachers to be more involved in your college life experience than one may like. Although, that is not entirely frustrating because most times the close nit classes allows for a better understanding in subjects and allows for extra credit opportunities. There are always two sides of any argument; generally speaking Iowa Wesleyan is a great school to further one's education.

Clinton

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to focus more on my school work then on atheltics. I have learned in college that athletics are important for scholarship purposes, but academics are what will lead you to the future that you want. Personally for me in high school, I had family issues that kept me from completing my homework on time and to the best of my ability. College has showed me that homework is the key to succeeding and making good grades. The main thing I would tell myself as a high school senior is to complete and turn in ALL homework on time, because both in college and later on in life, turning in your work on time is very crucial to success.

A small, but caring school that gives each student an equal oppotunity to express themselves in their chosen major.

Someone who is looking for a bigger university. Basically anyone who wants to go to school to party and have a good time should not go to school here. This school is for someone who wants to succeed in their given major and get their degree.

emanuel

What makes my school unique from other schools? What makes my school unique from other schools is the warm feeling in the social life, everything basic things are close to campus and the social and ethnical diversity in school.

One advice that i would pesonally give to the parents and students is obviously go to the college visit days. There is a large percent of students that drop out of college or transfer at their freshman year because they personally dont know how the college is. They need to get oriented about school activities, facilities, dorms, schedules,programs, community, etc. Making a good choice will make college an experience for life.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of help from sources in the school(staff,teachers and tutors)for science majors, The poor quality of food in the cafeteria and the lack of good lab equpiment.

Amber

They are all really nice and everyone gets along well

They are all really nice and everyone gets along well

I would tell them dont go to a school just because your friends go there, pick where you going to get the best education and get the degree you need. Dont worry about anything but your school work and do it to the best of your ability.

Kendra

Your education is very important, but do not forget about your social life, make sure you find a college that is going to suit you socially and academically. If you are from a very large city, you probably would not be happy with a small private college in a small town, you will get bored very easliy because there will not be much to do. Also make sure the other students have similar intrests as you, the best way to do this is plan an overnight visit to a college you are interested in, if you a not a big drinker and everyone there drinks, you proabably are not going to have a lot of fun.

The worst thing about the school is probably either the food in the dining hall or the lack of communication between commuting students and student life.

Iowa Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.