Mount Pleasant, IA

Iowa Wesleyan University

« See more reviews of Iowa Wesleyan University

Given the opportunity to advise myself on the transitions from high school to college life, I would focus primarily on balance. There are so many new experiences and freedoms associated with college life, and exeriencing as many new opportunites can help you discover yourself and expose your full potentials, and yet at the same time, those same experiences can sometimes overshadow studies and the learning aspect of college. College is a fresh start for many, and with thousands of new people to meet and hundreds of clubs, athletics, fraternities, sororities, parties and everything else, classwork can easily get forgotten in the rush of experiences being aimed at you. Another form of balance is being financially savvy with the money available to you. Decisions on living on campus, transportation, buying used or new books, food allowances, daily living expenses, paying for classes in loans or trying to work. These are all things to think about prior to committing to a college, as well as the type of lifestyle lived once there. Everything has a cost, and balancing necessities and desires can help you from incurring financial strains that end up adversely effecting grades and the college experience as a whole.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it is socially acceptable to go to a junior college. I would tell myself to go to Parkland College because my high school did not adequately prepare me for university-level coursework. Going to this school would have made my college transition academically easier. It would also prepare me more socially because it would force me to branch out with people, rather than just look to my roommate in my dorm. Furthermore, I would tell myself that drinking is not as important/fun as everyone says it is and that iit's not "part of the college experience." I would not let myself feel less fun, less attractive, or less entertaining for not getting drunk with everyone. I would also tell myself not to look for affirmation from men, like most women did in high school, and continue in college, as this leads most women into relationships that are destined to fail. Knowing this would make my transition to a college women would have saved me heartache, lonliness, and pain. However, I am a better woman because of it.

Hello Janet, I would like for you to take some time to listen to me. I have some information you may want to hear about related to your future college experience. I recommend that you really focus on your grades and making sure they are excellent as this is something that can open many opportunities to receive a scholarship and mark you eligible to earn a grant. Start looking into SAT testing dates it is very important that you take your test soon so that you can show your score in your applications towards colleges and universities of your choice. If you are undecided in what university or college you would like to attend or undecided in what career path to take, talkt to your high school counselor or Career Services advisor. They will gladly help you with helpful information that will help you in your decision. Do not procrastinate and wait until the last minute to begin your application process. Be sure to fill out your FAFSA as soon as you graduate and to apply for CalGrants. If you plan on looking for loans carefully look into interests and what will work for you. Good Luck.See you soon.

As soon as my year started as a senior, i would be searching for the college of my dreams, practicing for the ACT, setting up campus tours , and speaking to college coaches about there atlhltics programs. Most importantly, i'll be asking the schools a whole lot of questions. How many students attend this college? What are the featured majors and minors that you offer? How much does it cost to attent your college? What is the majority race in the city or state of the college? Do you have any organzations for students, and if so how many? What are the requirements that need to be met in order for me to attend this college? Do you have any types of scholarships, if so what kinds and how much are they worth? What is your percentage of deaths on the campus, in the city or state? Do you have free totouring? How big are your dorms? How many men/women attend off campus? Do you have campus police, if so what time do they began and end there dudies? Whats the percentage of dropouts, the percentage of rapes, and the percentage that get a degree. Did they go there?

If I could go back and become a high school senior again, here are some things I would tell myself, if I fail to plan, I plan to fail. I should have prepared myself for college. It takes alot of planning to make the college experience successful. Applying to schools, applying for scholarships, writing essays. These are things that should happen long before a student becomes a senior. It's difficult in college when you have to be concerned with finances. When you don't have many options financially, you should be looking for every opportunity to fill that gap. It will make the college experience more productive if you don't have the burden of finding ways to pay for housing, books, and food. When all of your basic needs are met, you are able to focus on excelling in your studies. I think it would have made me a better student, if I had planned in advance for the things I would need to be successful in college. If I had applied myself more in high school, I would have been more prepared for college life, and the financing it takes to attend college.

KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS!!!! As an athlete I concentrated hard on developing my skills and body, and although I still receved good grades in high school I didn't apply myself like I could and should have. Future Self (FS): "Hello you handsome devil. I have been sent back in time to help you realize your full potential as a person. You have an oppurtunity to be better, do better, and make everyone around you proud to be associated with you." High School Me (HS): Dude, why are you wasting your time talking to me? You need to start selling those time machines and rake in the cash!!!" FS: "Just listen. Trust me; education is the key. Knowledge is the key to success. For example I saw you working hard lifting weights earlier. Do less reps at a slower pace on your sqauts and you'll get stronger as well as gain more mass." HS: "You do know your stuff huh? So whats the catch? Is this some kind of deal?" FS: "No not at all... All I wanted to do is to help you realize that if you apply yourself harder in school, your potential is limitless..."

Life isn't about what you know, but who you know. As long as people are on your side, you can accomplish things that you may have never thought were possible. All the talk about college parties are true. They happen on the weekends, and kids tend to do things that they may not have done if they were not in the condition that they were in at that time, but that does not make them bad people. They still understand what is right and what is wrong, even if they may not remember where they are. Always be yourself. People respect the fact that you are willing to be yourself and strive for your own goals. When you have a problem, there are plenty of people to talk to. Problems will arise, but you will have many friends to talk to about them. Faculty and staff can also help, because they are interested in your success as a person. The final thing to remember is family. Friends will come and go, but your family will always be the backbone of your success. It is important to stay in touch with your family, because they are your biggest fans.

As a college Student and young Professional Woman I am proud to be able to say that I have learned more than I ever thought I would learn in the Five years I have been a college Student. However, looking back now I am able to join the number of people who often wish they knew back then what I know now. Therefore the advice that I would give myself about the transition from high school life to College is that you are responsible for yourself. Although teachers take daily attendace, nobody is forcing you to attend college and I am only sitting in that seat each day because I choose to so it is my responsibilty to attend class on time and get the work done. Although I have encountered many caring professors nobody is able to carry you through this rewarding process but yourself. Expanding on my advice I would also enlighten myself on how important it is to stay true to the values my parents worked so hard to instill in me and not to follow the crowd. Just because it seems like everyones doing something not everybody is and its not always right.

I learned the hard way you have to be outgoing. When you first move, you're on your own and this is a challenge for many. My first advice would be to participate in as many activities as you can. Friendships make the transition to college easier and more enjoyable. College is a time for exploration and growing so my advice is to enjoy it! Also, make sure you know what you want to do in life first. If you have an idea, go for it. So many seniors, (myself included) felt that after high school, you have to attend college but if you aren't sure what you want to do with your life, take time and think about it. Once you have an idea, even if it's a year after high school, make the decision to attend college. By carefully evaluating your life and goals, you aren't throwing away valuable time and money on something that isn't right for you. Lastly, always trust your first instincts. If a situation or place doesn't seem right, then choose something else. Be open to new ideas. You know yourself best so always believe in yourself.

If I could return to my former-self and offer advice, I'd tell me to be more extroverted and less self-centered. The life before you (me) is mixed up, unpredictible and heart-wrenching at times, so be flexible, be centered in God, and don't try to control things that are out of your control. I would also suggest that through the hard times, the times when your (my) heart is breaking, rely on your friends and allow yourself time to grieve and cry. And as a voice of encouragement, you (I) am very resilient and will make it through. Listen to God, listen to Mom, and everything will work out. Don't worry about loosing the friends you (I) had in high school, because the ones in the college world are more honest, more open, more compassionate, and will teach you far great things than those you've grown up with. And home, no matter how small and insignificant it seems now, will always be home. You will return there many times. Use it to refocus, reconnect, and plan your attack. Good luck, and God's speed. P.S. be nicer to Mom and Dad.