Irvine, CA
Irvine Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Irvine Valley College

Judith

I love it. So far my college experience has been nothing but great! Everyone is so friendly the students, the staff, and teachers. Teachers are always available when you need them and they are easy to contact too. Everything about this campus it great. What's not to love it's smoke free and clean.

Fatima

My experience is that Irvine Valley College has a lot of dedicated staff who are ready to help their students at any time. I like that many of the humanities classes and honors classes are small so it allows for greater interaction with students and the instructor. The honors classes are great because they are challenging but the instructor provides plenty of assistance. Programs like TAG, TAP, and UCI "Honors to Honors" are great for those wanting to transfer to UC schools. Although there are not as many extracurriculars as a university, I've participated in ASG, diversity & equity programs, and Psi Beta and enjoyed making many friends there. I've also heard our MUN and Speech & Debate programs are highly ranked. The few complaints I do have however are that IVC does not offer any ethnic studies classes, and not many art, gender studies, and social science classes. Additionally, there are no calculus-based statistics classes and not many high level math classes offered over the summer.

Parinaz

As a new foreign student arriving to the United States for the first time, picking the right college as the first social and academic experience seemed to be so critical, a deciding factor about my future in this country. Intensive research was carried out by my father and I on appraising different community colleges and their surrounding environment as to make sure the quality of the education and the security of the environment for optimal results. Irvine Valley College and the city of Irvine as one collective community caught our attention as the right place to start my academic and social life with peace of mind, where I could foster and further discover where I would be heading to, meaning my future major and jobs. Indeed visiting the Irvine Valley College for the first time was a delight. It was quite a pleasant experience for an international student who has never had the academic experience nor the cultural experience in U.S. to start his or her academic life. The treatment received from the administration staff was quite assuring of the quality educational environment of the college. The helpfulness and the behavior was so calming that it immediately helped me to overcome my fears and start off my college with a high spirit and self-confidence. I feel that Irvine Valley College has the positive and supportive system for just any local or foreign student to grow on, and reach appropriate level of maturity for successfully passing through junior and senior years. After taking my assessment tests on mathematics and English, different counselors assisted me to set up my plan for my college journey which I think is quite crucial to stay on the right track. Moreover, going through he Laser Week as part of Irvine Valley orientation program was just the thing I needed to break the mental barrier as a form of fear which was self-created and imposed upon myself. The program was just the right remedy as it mitigated my anxiety while becoming more and more familiar with the college system and environment throughout the week. It gave me the chance not only to get to know the college programs and regulations but also meeting new people with diversity of culture and race. Needless to say, other supportive programs such as various workshops including financial support system, transferring system, and cultural diversity systems helped me to get a good grip of the available services. As for the first semester, which I think is the most important semester for any student, I received tremendous support from the consolers and the teachers. I really appreciate the diligent selection of the teachers done by Irvine Valley College. My professors truly helped me during the semester to make the necessary and noticeable progress in the subject matters, having good comprehension of the materials being taught. Note worthy of an example would be my calculus class; I can say with absolute certainty that professor Gupta’s mathematics’ class was the most effective class I have ever taken in my life. This class has helped me to develop my analytical skills which I was not aware of having; I no longer had to memorize everything as the professor successfully taught me the underlying fundamental principles of mathematics. Besides the excellent professors, Irvine Valley College provides other great modern facilities such as library, tutoring center, transfer and career center, math and English center, various sciences laboratory, EOPS, LAC, and others that students can take advantages of for improving and developing their skills. College security is also a point that I would like to highlight as Irvine Valley Campus policy has provided. One could say that having a secured educational environment is something that should not be taken for granted as it gives students the peace of mind for enjoying their lives at campus.

Delband

Campus is a safe environment, but we can have some extra events some times. faculty are mostly professional but there are some of them which do not care about students ways of living or the fact that most students here are intentional students, and in some cases communication and studying in another language can be hard and more time consuming.

Irina

My overall opinion of Irvine Valley College is that is is a very good place to decide your major or go in with the hope to transfer. The Campus feals very relaxed and has a nice campus atmosphere. All of my professors so far have been very understanding and admirable people. I would recommend Irvine Valley College for sure.

Irvine Valley College is a very nice college, it is not only the one with the best transfer rates from Orange County, but also it has a variety of courses to fit a variety of schedules, the faculty is very well prepared and the students are very nice.

Valeria

I decided to go here for their Honors Program. It provides me with a curriculum that is enriched, small classes, and a secluded place to study with motivated students like myself. I am beyond grateful that the Honor Program exists to help high achieving students reach their goal. It presents the means for which to continue a higher education and it is up to the person to take the challenge. For me, it is as if it was created for me and it is what I look forward in a school.

Natalie
last semester (of 6) at IVC as a premed student

last semester (of 6) at IVC as a premed student

It's a community college; not a 4-year university. The expectations for a CC are very different than those for a 4-year. That being said, the academic opportunities are pretty decent for a CC; you can enroll in a research course or ask the STEM professors who teach here if they are performing any research themselves since most of them also teach at other 4-years while teaching at IVC. The class sizes are typically pretty small, usually ranging between 25-75 students (75 is usually lower division GEs and math courses). The prof's here also are required to have weekly office hours, so there's always an opportunity to speak with a prof one-on-one if you need to. A lot of the profs are also great about replying quickly to emails (like within a couple days, max-- usually). When choosing your professors, make sure to consult rate my professor or other students whom you personally know have had that professor. Keep in mind, as with any site that requires reviews, the ratings for professors won't be very consistent and the reviews are based on personal experiences. I found this out the hard way when I mistakenly took the "best" bio prof my 2nd semester and discovered she was also the most difficult because of how much detail she wanted us to understand. That was one of the only B's I've gotten while at IVC, and I had to study my butt off to even earn that. Same thing with organic chemistry--I barely got a B this last semester and I chose to again take the "best" o-chem prof, who again turned out to be the most difficult. I'll be taking him again this next semester, but now, my expectations for his teaching style and tests are in check. So basically, take rate my professor ratings with a heavy grain of salt. Experiences from previous students whom you're already acquainted with would be more reliable. The campus itself is a bit dated looking, since many of the buildings are red-brick. The grass and landscaping around the campus itself is beautiful and well-maintained though. You'll find random sculptures around campus too, which shows off the school's slight appreciation for the arts. The newer organic chemistry labs in the B200s are also gorgeous and well stocked; nearly every student has their own fume hood to work under. The labs are in near-pristine condition and they all have smart boards in them. The newer buildings, like the performing arts center, the life sciences building, and business and technology building are all very up-to-date, well-maintained, and contemporary. They all have overhead projectors installed and many of them have full-length whiteboards across one or two walls. The life science building is probably my personal favorite, since it has two levels with a gorgeous view of the campus on the 2nd level, with a little sitting area to study. It also has a modern architectural design; glass walls, wood decor and awnings, and spacious interiors. The main lecture hall in the LSB is also similar to amphitheater seating, but with tables instead of individual desk chairs. However, the social scene at IVC is nearly non-existent. Unless you have friends already going here, or you happen to meet people in a class and hit it off with each other, it's incredibly hard to hang out with people outside of class. You'll probably end up becoming best friends with the people in your study group (but only for the remainder of the semester). If you want to join a club or organization, there are plenty to choose from, but many of their meeting times often conflicted with my class schedule (this could obviously vary from student to student, but for me, it was nearly impossible finding time to attend a meeting). There is also absolutely no Greek life here since it's a CC. There's an honor society, Phi Theta Kappa, and a psychology honor society, Psi Beta, but these are the only two Greek-sounding organizations you'll find affiliated with the campus. So if you plan on being invited to parties while you're here, you'll be sadly disappointed. If there are parties that take place, there's a 95% chance you won't hear anything about them unless you happen to know the person hosting it personally (as in, they're not just another classmate). Other than that, the good luck finding a social life if you don't already know anyone or if you're shy (sad, but true). There's always opportunities to get involved with the school though--either through the student government, work-study, ASIVC, or possibly through the job listing that's posted nearly every semester for the student design team. I think there's also an opportunity for students to TA classes if they contact the professor directly. Either way, IVC is a good school for academics--which is what it's meant for in the first place. Learn how to work around the registration system (and find the loopholes that get your priority registration) and you're good to go with getting the classes you need to transfer in a timely manner. I didn't learn how to work around the loopholes until my 3rd semester, and that basically caused me to stay an extra semester. I ended up witching my major, so ultimately it didn't make a difference, but being blocked from enrolling in classes because they're already full was the cause of many anxiety attacks and stressful days. I'm glad I went here, even if the social scene kind of destroyed the possibility of a college social life for the first 3 years of my college experience, because I saved so much on tuition and also because it was conveniently located for me. I also met a couple of my now-best friends in my organic chemistry class, and still stay in touch with a few other people from previous classes. Looking forward to transferring in the fall though :)

Valerie

I actually graduated high school early as a Junior, and since freshman year of high school I was taking college courses at Irvine Valley College. So when I did graduate high school early, I was aleady a sophmore in college. Thinking back, if I did not take college courses already, the most important advice I could ever give myself was to work hard and excel at everything. I would tell myself that in the end it all pays off. College is not a hard transition. In fact, it is very easy, as long as you work hard. I would explain to myself that no matter what I do, to never give up. The only thing that can ever hurt me, is giving up non myself. As long as I strive to be my best then I will succeed in whatever I want to do. To this day I use this advice.

The best thing about the school I attend is the diversity of people. This is because I get to interact with people who have different values and opinions from me. I find this exciting and interesting because it is a way of exploring other cultures and ethnicities. I am able to communicate freely with anybody on campus, and it very inspiring to do so.

I think everybody should have a chance to attend this school. It is a chance to change your perspective on the world and focus on your future and career. It is very time consuming, but worth it.

Chase

The faculty is highly recommended for a community college. Most of the professors are fabulous.

I dislike the lack of financial aid available. The fafsa does a poor job of a family's EFC when it comes to this school, since there is an extremely high cost of living that is not taken into account.

Irvine Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.