Irvine, CA
Irvine Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Irvine Valley College

Erin

IVC is known as being a very prestigious community college in California.

IVC is known as being a very prestigious community college in California.

If I could go back I would tell myself that although it may be hard, I will get through community college. I would encourage myself to work hard and perservere when school got tough. Although I had trying times, my time so far at college has been a huge growing experience and I would not want to lose what I have found in this time.

My advice to prospective students would be to work as hard as you can to get all general education done as quickly as possible. It can be difficult to get involved socially but I encourage future students to meet new people and talk to people as much as they can. If you can do those things your time at IVC will be very beneficial ;ike mine was.

karen

When I was considering going here during my senior year of high school, I dreaded the idea. While everyone else was going off to big name colleges and making new friends, dorming, partying and getting the full "college experience", I was stuck at home, commuting to a college where I neither knew anybody or desired to know anybody- I thought everyone here would fit under the following categories: "didn't work hard enough in high school", "don't know what the hell they're doing", "drug addicts", and the list goes on. However, I quickly discovered that, if you figure your shit out early (find out where you want to transfer and make sure you get the classes you need to do that), and you're serious and focus on making good grades, it can actually be an enjoyable experience. And I've made a few good friends along the way in my classes- you can always find people with the same goals as you. Also, it feels like a second shot at getting into the top colleges. The colleges I got into during my senior year were not the ones I wanted ideally, and this is my chance to really make top grades, and also very important- figure out what I want to major in. Another tip: Get involved with the honors program. I also applied for financial aid and got my tuition fee waived! And I didn't even think I would get any... Try to do student government. You'll get priority registration (VERYYY HELPFUL during registration!!!) and being a commissioner doesn't take up too much time. One thing I'd change would definitely be the extracurricular programs. I understand that IVC is centered around academics, but there just isn't enough effort being put into student life/organizations. Oh, did I mention I'm saving $100,000 by waiting 2 years to transfer?

Uhh this is IVC we're talking about. There IS no student life whatsoever. Unfortunately, people are here just to show up for class to get credit.

Alot of kids are here to save money on college and on track to better colleges than the ones they were accepted to in high school. I am one of them. So you won't see alot of very financially privileged kids here (they would've already gone to a state college with their parents' money, duh). Some kids are also here because for some reason or other they weren't doing well at their college or they didn't like it there. Personally, I haven't seen alot of LGBT kids. There are very few. IVC is pretty racially diverse, but by quick judgment I think the majority are Caucasians, Asians and Persians. It's really a mixed bag. There are some strange people and there are mostly completely normal people. Especially during night classes there are sometimes middle-aged adults with full-time jobs taking classes, so you might be taking a class with someone who's 60 years old. It's pretty interesting. Most of the students are from around Irvine of course since this is a cc. Since alot of the students are foreign, there tends to be a lot of racially divided groups. However I think this is because of differences in cultural backgrounds and not necessarily racial issues.

You can't beat the academics at IVC (community college-wise). The professors care about their students (well...most of them!) and will always be available for help during office hours... Take advantage of them! They can help boost your grade and it will be a good thing that the prof knows you by name. As long as you put in the work, everything should be good. Like I said earlier, some students don't know what the heck they're doing, i.e., they'll be sitting in class staring at their iPad or something. It depends on what class you're taking. Right now, the majority of my Bio 1 class is made up of them. But my Honors Writing 2 class is full of intelligent students who are definitely competent. Don't let other students' behaviors affect yours! If I didn't study in my Bio class like the rest of them, I would undoubtedly be failing this semester. Class participation varies class to class as does studying. Depends on how academically rigorous the class is. The harder classes are usually being taken by people who know they can handle it, and so they participate and ask questions because they are invested in the class. The easier classes are being taken by mostly people who are just getting the credit and cruising through the semester, i.e., not participating unless they are required to.

Community college can be an extension of high school at times. You get a lot of people who don't know what the heck they're doing, people who are just there because they don't know where else to go after high school. But you also get a lot of smart, serious students looking for a quality but affordable education and wanting to transfer to a "real college" (aka me). At IVC there is a good amount of the latter, and we have a pretty high transfer rate to UCs.

Erin

The worst thing at Irvine Valley College is perhaps petitioning into courses. However, this is a major problem with most of California's schools, that is why I am looking to transfer to a school in Virginia. At Irvine Valley School and many other public schools in California, students run into the problem of attempt to crash or get into a course that they need to graduate that is already full. My advice is not to wait to register for classes and know what classes you need for your major!

If I were to go back in time with the knowledge I had now, I would advise myself to stay away from California public schools and know what four-year school I am planning on transferring to so I can take the necessary courses for my program of study there. I would want to insist that I be more aware of what schools I plan on transferring to so I can effectively plan my college career. I would also like to be more active in the student clubs and organizations on campus. These social activities provide an outstanding opportunity to get to know other students on campus from all walks of life. I would have liked to be more active socially on campus than I have been, and also perhaps get the opportunity to study abroad in my major and visit other countries. This amazing opportunity would give me insight into how other people live their lives and would help me broaden my horizons. It woul also aid me in becoming a more successful, knowledgeable, and well-rounded teacher education student.

The most frustrating thing about Irvine Valley College is the parking situation. This is no surprise as most public schools in California are overcrowded, underfunded, and did not plan for such a large student population upon building the school. While Irvine Valley College is attempting to open up more dirt lots around its campus, parking definitely remains a serious issue, and unfortunately can cause a student to be very late for his or her classes. My advice is to get to school at least thirty minutes before your class to find a parking spot. Don't wait!

Hasnu

My biggest insecurity in life was probably actually becoming independent and facing the world alone. My whole life I had depended on my parents. Coming to college and living on campus put me in forcible situations where I really had no one to look to other than myself. Whether it was doing laundry or figuring out my school's transit system, I learned to be quick, aware, and proactive. Aside from my attempt to master the art of independence, it was mostly the little things that made a big difference in my experience. Meeting all kinds of people from around the world, being part of an enthusiastic community, and creating long-lasting memories is what college has given me. I have also learned about the goodness of people that is still quite prevalent in the world. Being a freshman, I did not own a car, and living a country away from my parents did not make things any easier. But I never noticed the hardships that came with not having that essential because of the kindness shown by my friends. The most important lesson that I have learned is that learning does not need to be confined to a classroom.

The worst thing about my school would most likely be the lack of community. The campus seems to be individual-based.

Bridget

I feel like my school has a very up to date internet interface. I hear friends complain about online classes or assignments all the time because their schools website isn't very well set up or supported while I've never had a single issue with my schools website. It always works, up to date, and extremely user friendly. The professors use it often to keep us updaed on class assignments and notes, it is an excellent tool.

Have a plan! Utilize the schools academic cousnelors! The first time around I just picked any class that sounded fun or easy, I had no structure, goal or plan, and I ended up wasting a lot of time and a lot of my parents money on classes that are not going to help me with anything in life. It became overwhelming to feel like I would never finish school and I eventually just have up. Now I have a goal, I know what classes I need and when I need to take them, so I can feel and see the accomplishment as I'm going along. I talk to a counselor every semester to make sure the prgress I'm making is in the right direction, that I'm not wasting my time taking classes I don't need or that I won't be able to transfer later on. Being able to go to college is a privilege a lot of peple don't have, so I would definitely beg my younger self to appreciat a lot more and make the most of it.

The options for when classes are available. It's hard to work full time and make everything all fit together in a manageable way. A lot of the classes I'm enrolled in where only offered at one specific time, so aside from it being hard to work my schedule so i could fit every class i needed in to it, almost every single one of my classes is over filled and there are students sitting on the floor while they hope someone will drop the class so they can have a seat.

That Irvine Valley college really cares about thier students. When i graduated from high school i was scard out of my mind about college. When i got to IVC the teachers and counselors sriously did and still do everything possible to make sure I and the other students do well in life. Seriously IVC is like having a very supportive family and learning with your best friend. Its great!

If I could go back in time i would tell myself "Brittany even though the world out in front of you looks scary and unobtainable, have faith in yourself and always put in 110% in everything you do." Major peice of advice I would tell myself that registating for classes on time is really super important. I learned the hard way and i had to petition for almost all of my classes my first year in college., that was really stressful. Also whenever its time for scholarships DON'T WAIT TO DO THEM!!! The greatest thing to do is fill out as many scholarships as possible because it will keep me away from student loans. College is alot of work all those cute sugary thoughts, NO! destroy them. There's no way around the work but remember that their is a balance between school life and my life. You don't have to sacrifice my social life for my school life and vice versa. Just remember college is a learning experience. Never take any lesson for granted, you aren't gaureented a second chance at learning a life lesson and having a chance to better yourself for the future.

Since my college prides itself in being the best. Thats exactly what the teachers give, their very best. This is fustrating because that means most of the classses are way harder than if you were to go to another community college. But the knowledge you obtain is amazing [good thing]. Thats the only fustrating factor i can think of.

Kassandra

If I had the opportunity to go back time to the days I was a high school student embarking on graduation and college I would tell myself to take my time and get informed. As a kid in high school you don't have a great idea of what really is exected in college, no one ever tells you that no one is going to be very helpful unless you help yourself first. I would tell my younger self to anticiate change because life gets a bit odd especially in your first year when you are forming your roll as a student and individual. I would also tell myself to remember to find time for yourself, it is important to relax and be refreshed when you feel overwhelmed with reading multiple texts and writing papers. Remember procrastination make it harder. This time that you have in school will be hard but the reward of challenging yourself is worth it. And when you feel like giving up remember why you are doing this and the goals you have set forth. You'll be fine and have fun along the way...... well some of the time.

There really is not a kind of person who shouldn't attend a community college like IVC unless the person doesn't want to continue there education. Know that with any college you will be expected to do work, real critical thinking, if a person is not willing to do the work don't go to college.

I like the transfer rate IVC has and I love the EOPS department.

Kara

Kara, put down that television remote. Walk over to the laptop-the same one that has endured multiple falls, water spills, and held together by scotch tape- and look over your college choices. Scrutinize every single last nugget of financial aid information, housing options, and scholarships. Then walk away. Two weeks later, after musing and pondering and other -ings that you never did before jumping into the rest of your life, make a decision. Know that you can be proud in the fact that your stubborness has yielded you some headaches and waterworks, but that you are going to come out okay.You're not going to be a failure, or make your parents regret filling your head with fanciful ideas of education and making something of yourself, because you are going to do it in your own way and at your own ambitious pace.No, College Kara doesn't know if a pace can be ambitious, but since I have more education than you it is best not to challenge me. Really. No, I am your elder, technically. Ahem. Stay true to yourself and commit this mantra to memory: I will schedule classes after noon.

There is a beautiful concept behind community colleges, and that's accessibility. IVC provides this and more, and I love that I get to meet people from(corny as it sounds) all walks of life. I've met businesswomen looking for a career change, grandfathers looking to fill the time, and students fresh out of high school and assuming the responsibilities of a job and school. There are no generalizations that can be made about a campus so diverse and yet so cohesive and proud.

Out of state tuition. As a military brat, I moved to California from Florida. Seeing my classmates paying $20 a unit while I was forking over $120 was chipping away at my sanity for awhile, but now that I am a resident I am faring a bit better. It is still better than paying so much for the same general education requirements that four year university students are taking-my wallet thanks me.

sherif

My school has new, upscale facilities and many resources available to help its students their educational goals

If i was back in school, i would have wanted to learn more about different careers out there, opportunites in the different feilds and what schools are best for the intended major. I would have liked to learn more about how to live responsably in college financialy and health wise. How to choose my new living situation, how to apply for scholerships and loans. Where to get books from. And how important it is to ask about all the resources available to us by the colleges.

I wish i have learned more about all the programs offered to students to help them with tuition and living expenses. Also all the programs offered by the government to help students get better grades in classes. Housing offered by school or around school with price ranges. Different options for buying books. All financial aid and loans deadlines.

Leah

Irvine Valley College has many great Administration of Justice courses, and the professors have experience in the field. There are also many on-line courses offered, which is set up in an easy to maneuver and understand way on the web.

To myself as a Senior in high school: You have worked hard and earned good grades through high school. You can get into many different universities. Do not apply to only one, it limits your possibilities. The Cal State system is very impacted and you may not get into the school you want, so apply to many! While community college is a great alternative to a University, you may benefit from going away for school. The temptation to work harder at your part-time job than you do in school is one you must be aware of. While it may feel you have more independence and power, working will only get you so far. A college degree will get you much farther, and is absolutely necessary. Putting off school will only mean you will need to re-arrange your life in the future in order to accomodate attendance at school, and you will not be in classes with peers, rather those much younger than you.

The worst thing about my school is the parking. The school's population has grown, while the parking has not.

Irvine Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.