Irvine Valley College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Irvine Valley College

Ziyah

I believe that Irvine Valley college is a great junior college to go to if you want a student wants to figure out what field they will like to pursue. The community is great, professors are attentive, and the academics are mainly good. However, it would be nice if there were more programs for the arts, particularly film. The arts program is fairly minimal, and although you can take a lot more art courses at IVC's sister-school, Saddleback college, it is definitely inconvenient due to the distance. Overall, my experience at Irvine Valley College has be pretty good.

Katrina-Marie

I have enjoyed my experience and I like that there are several opportunities to make your time at IVC worthwhile and memorable as long as you seek those opportunities. The food could be better and facilities could be renovated since some are outdated, but the biggest issue that should be prioritized is providing more parking.

Irina

My overall opinion of Irvine Valley College is that is is a very good place to decide your major or go in with the hope to transfer. The Campus feals very relaxed and has a nice campus atmosphere. All of my professors so far have been very understanding and admirable people. I would recommend Irvine Valley College for sure.

Natalie

It's a community college; not a 4-year university. The expectations for a CC are very different than those for a 4-year. That being said, the academic opportunities are pretty decent for a CC; you can enroll in a research course or ask the STEM professors who teach here if they are performing any research themselves since most of them also teach at other 4-years while teaching at IVC. The class sizes are typically pretty small, usually ranging between 25-75 students (75 is usually lower division GEs and math courses). The prof's here also are required to have weekly office hours, so there's always an opportunity to speak with a prof one-on-one if you need to. A lot of the profs are also great about replying quickly to emails (like within a couple days, max-- usually). When choosing your professors, make sure to consult rate my professor or other students whom you personally know have had that professor. Keep in mind, as with any site that requires reviews, the ratings for professors won't be very consistent and the reviews are based on personal experiences. I found this out the hard way when I mistakenly took the "best" bio prof my 2nd semester and discovered she was also the most difficult because of how much detail she wanted us to understand. That was one of the only B's I've gotten while at IVC, and I had to study my butt off to even earn that. Same thing with organic chemistry--I barely got a B this last semester and I chose to again take the "best" o-chem prof, who again turned out to be the most difficult. I'll be taking him again this next semester, but now, my expectations for his teaching style and tests are in check. So basically, take rate my professor ratings with a heavy grain of salt. Experiences from previous students whom you're already acquainted with would be more reliable. The campus itself is a bit dated looking, since many of the buildings are red-brick. The grass and landscaping around the campus itself is beautiful and well-maintained though. You'll find random sculptures around campus too, which shows off the school's slight appreciation for the arts. The newer organic chemistry labs in the B200s are also gorgeous and well stocked; nearly every student has their own fume hood to work under. The labs are in near-pristine condition and they all have smart boards in them. The newer buildings, like the performing arts center, the life sciences building, and business and technology building are all very up-to-date, well-maintained, and contemporary. They all have overhead projectors installed and many of them have full-length whiteboards across one or two walls. The life science building is probably my personal favorite, since it has two levels with a gorgeous view of the campus on the 2nd level, with a little sitting area to study. It also has a modern architectural design; glass walls, wood decor and awnings, and spacious interiors. The main lecture hall in the LSB is also similar to amphitheater seating, but with tables instead of individual desk chairs. However, the social scene at IVC is nearly non-existent. Unless you have friends already going here, or you happen to meet people in a class and hit it off with each other, it's incredibly hard to hang out with people outside of class. You'll probably end up becoming best friends with the people in your study group (but only for the remainder of the semester). If you want to join a club or organization, there are plenty to choose from, but many of their meeting times often conflicted with my class schedule (this could obviously vary from student to student, but for me, it was nearly impossible finding time to attend a meeting). There is also absolutely no Greek life here since it's a CC. There's an honor society, Phi Theta Kappa, and a psychology honor society, Psi Beta, but these are the only two Greek-sounding organizations you'll find affiliated with the campus. So if you plan on being invited to parties while you're here, you'll be sadly disappointed. If there are parties that take place, there's a 95% chance you won't hear anything about them unless you happen to know the person hosting it personally (as in, they're not just another classmate). Other than that, the good luck finding a social life if you don't already know anyone or if you're shy (sad, but true). There's always opportunities to get involved with the school though--either through the student government, work-study, ASIVC, or possibly through the job listing that's posted nearly every semester for the student design team. I think there's also an opportunity for students to TA classes if they contact the professor directly. Either way, IVC is a good school for academics--which is what it's meant for in the first place. Learn how to work around the registration system (and find the loopholes that get your priority registration) and you're good to go with getting the classes you need to transfer in a timely manner. I didn't learn how to work around the loopholes until my 3rd semester, and that basically caused me to stay an extra semester. I ended up witching my major, so ultimately it didn't make a difference, but being blocked from enrolling in classes because they're already full was the cause of many anxiety attacks and stressful days. I'm glad I went here, even if the social scene kind of destroyed the possibility of a college social life for the first 3 years of my college experience, because I saved so much on tuition and also because it was conveniently located for me. I also met a couple of my now-best friends in my organic chemistry class, and still stay in touch with a few other people from previous classes. Looking forward to transferring in the fall though :)

Vanessa

Irvine Valley College was the first experience I ever had with higher education. My first semester was rather challenging, because I felt I didn't have the classes I needed in order to finish two years of lower division classes efficiently. I learned shortly thereafter that people learn at different paces, and I would actually be finished with enough units to transfer so long as I took a summer class. I had a two terrible english and math professors, unfortunately, in areas where the building blocks of education were vital; these were classes where I had to teach myself to teach myself. I met people along the line who illuminated a yearning and desire for research, development and further education. I saw close friends turn into study buddies and professors turn into mentors. IVC is a large part of what defines my academic structure, as well as my future.

Delband

Campus is a safe environment, but we can have some extra events some times. faculty are mostly professional but there are some of them which do not care about students ways of living or the fact that most students here are intentional students, and in some cases communication and studying in another language can be hard and more time consuming.

Irvine Valley College is overall a great school to go to if you're looking for a place that excels in just about everything. I enjoy the quiet environment that it provides for students, whether it's outside or inside one of the student facilities. The college has a set of passionate, enthusiastic, and professors that are willing to do their best to prepare our students for their futures. They're genuinely caring about our education and our needs, which you don't usually get in other institutions. The college is located near an area in Irvine where there are shopping centers and places to eat in every direction which is very convenient for the indecisive college student. There's a lot more I can say about the college, but to keep it short, it's a great institution and you won't regret attending this college for your higher educational needs. Not to mention, we also have a great music department here! (This is the bragging of a music student)

Jan Nathaniel

Great school, many people in this city shun going to community college to start, but I think it's a great stepping stone to higher education. Saving money should be a concern, not having a "brand name" college on your resume. For me personally, community college was the start of saving money for the long haul of becoming a doctor. With the inevitably large debt, towering over my future as a doctor, this step is the biggest step in keeping up with the bills. At first, I was a bit frustrated that I couldn't get into the school I aimed for, regretful of not going to university. But after being in Irvine Valley College, it really goes to show just how much money I’ve been saving my parents. Comparing unit prices, forty-six dollars per unit is nothing compares to the two hundred or so dollars per unit at UCI, my target school and soon to be transferring to school. Along with this, I’ve managed to get a few scholarships here and there at IVC, most notably a one thousand dollar one from IVC itself. After all those bigger steps, some small steps I’ve taken include working for a little bit, as mentioned in my job portion of the application. Another “job” is my work as a pianist at Mount Calvary Lutheran Church in Cypress. I earn about one hundred and fifty dollars each Sunday, playing hymns. This job was, and is much more agreeable than martial arts job, and this one has been going on for a couple years now, playing a Sunday every month or two. Some of the other steps on a very basic level include not eating out as often, making a budget with the money I do earn, helping my parents pay for groceries and small purchases. All of these work together to minimize money troubles now, in view of the later debts to come from medical school. I have IVC to thank for my future career.

Valeria

I decided to go here for their Honors Program. It provides me with a curriculum that is enriched, small classes, and a secluded place to study with motivated students like myself. I am beyond grateful that the Honor Program exists to help high achieving students reach their goal. It presents the means for which to continue a higher education and it is up to the person to take the challenge. For me, it is as if it was created for me and it is what I look forward in a school.

Irvine Valley College is a very nice college, it is not only the one with the best transfer rates from Orange County, but also it has a variety of courses to fit a variety of schedules, the faculty is very well prepared and the students are very nice.

Kaila

Irvine Valley College is a great institution to transfer to a four year university. However, of you are looking for an active campus, you must search elsewhere. The teachers are great and try to help you succeed. There are numerous clubs to join as well. The food is good as well. They have a nice variety of dishes and they taste pretty good. Some of the food is overpriced though. All in all, Irvine Valley College is a good school to transfer from.

Good schoo, I've loved most of my classes. Peaceful environment. There is not a ton of stuff directly around the school though, but nothing is too far. One issue I have is that the counselors are no good. However, the teachers are wonderful, the school is conducive for learning, and the transfer program is helpful.

Gabriela

Irvine Valley College is very great. Everything about just the enviorment is good and makes you want to attened every day to class. Trust me not a lot of other former college students say that about there college. It is also number one is OC and number two in state to be transfers thats what you want to hear when you go into a college wanting to transfer to a university. IVC is a place for hope and dreams so this is why i love my college.

Layla

Irvine Valley College is a great community college to attend if you are planning to transfer. The academics are great but the social life is definitely lacking because it is a community college, many people are just trying to get their classes out of the way and trasfer as quick as they can so making friends is a little tough. Also I would recommend doing your own research about your transfer plan and classes you have to take rather than relying on the counselors.

Ryan

The rumors and reputation community colleges face made me skeptical as I graduated high school and embarked on my journey at Irvine Valley College. I was unsure of the types of people I would be around, whether the professors would be caring and responsive, as well as the overall difficulty for transferring to a highly ranked four-year institution. It was soon after entering IVC that I realized why we had the number 1 transfer rate in Orange County and California. Providing a welcoming environment with faculty which desires the success of their students, Irvine Valley College provided me an opportunity that is unlikely to be found elsewhere. With small class sizes allowing students to receive the attention they need to do well in their studies, professors have the ability to build strong connections with their students. Being part of the Honors Program, I was given the rigor and competitive edge necessary to ensure my success once transferring. Through class discussions, research assignments, and various projects, students are expected to strive further while pursuing their education, thereby enhancing the time spent at such an institution. The courses required to graduate with honors recognition made students develop strong communication skills with their professors and peers. Warmhearted professors and faculty provide students limitless opportunities in and out of the classroom. By providing a friendly attitude which makes it easier to communicate with professors, students learn a valuable skill necessary for transferring. These communication skills help the students when they are interested in asking for an internship or becoming a Teacher Assistant, for example. With the professor’s encouragement, students are pushed toward seeking more in their education and building a lifelong friendship and relationship which might lead to research projects or critical letters of recommendation. Irvine Valley College has given myself many benefits that I would not have expected of receiving if attending any other institution. I now feel well prepared to take on whatever the world has to offer particularly once transferring to a reputable four-year university. The overall skill set IVC establishes for its students not only prepares them for transfer, but provides long lasting insight on how to take on whatever the future has to offer.

Brianna

I am currently going to be graduating in the honors program and am very impressed by how helpful and reliable professors and honors counselor's are. They have helped me grow into a more intellectual and mature individual and made classes enjoyable and motivating.

Aisha

Personally, I feel that Irvine Valley College has provided me with the tools to adapt in a college setting. The smaller class sizes have allowed me to form better relationships with my professors as well as learn more effectively. This school has prepared me for the better.

Judith

I love it. So far my college experience has been nothing but great! Everyone is so friendly the students, the staff, and teachers. Teachers are always available when you need them and they are easy to contact too. Everything about this campus it great. What's not to love it's smoke free and clean.

Susan

Good classes, but many are impacted. Clean, big campus. People don't tend to hang around campus, they just go to class and then leave (but this is true of most community colleges, I've been told). Parking can be really rough, so get there early. Professors are available during their office hours most times. I've been to a couple concerts by the orchestra and wind ensemble, and they are really great! I know a handful of people who go to school at Saddleback College, IVC's sister school, but come to IVC for the orchestra.

Cristina

Irvine Valley College is a great community college. Most students there are looking to transfer to a university eventually so students are not disruptive in class, as we all are trying to get in and get out without wasting our time. The facilities and professors are wonderful tools for all of us students who are commuting and looking for a space to focus on our educational goals and obtain guidance when we need it. Overall, I believe it is a perfect place to complete two years of general education before transferring to a four-year university.

Bryanna

Irvine Valley College has an exceptional learning environment due to the friendliness of both professors and peers. This college gives students the opportunity to express who they are because of the atmosphere they feel safe in. I have found out who I am and what my life aspirations are by going to Irvine Valley.

Litzi

Irvine valley college is a great school the campous is really nice and big. The classes are also nice there’s not much students in one class I like how the classes look from the inside. Irvine valley college has a higher teansfer rate and it has mostly every major and the clubs are nice.

Courtney

IVC is the best community college for transferring students in the state of California. That's a fact from the state, but it's also true when you're there. Professors really care, and can give you good connections. A lot of professors are from UC-Irvine, which many students also attend. This makes it so you can have good relationships with professors since you might come in contact with them again. The campus is 100% clean, the surrounding area is 100% clean, and there's loads of shops and great housing options. It's a great 2 year campus and it's also a sister school of the larger Saddleback College, which students from IVC are also welcome to register for those classes during the same registration window.

Fatima

My experience is that Irvine Valley College has a lot of dedicated staff who are ready to help their students at any time. I like that many of the humanities classes and honors classes are small so it allows for greater interaction with students and the instructor. The honors classes are great because they are challenging but the instructor provides plenty of assistance. Programs like TAG, TAP, and UCI "Honors to Honors" are great for those wanting to transfer to UC schools. Although there are not as many extracurriculars as a university, I've participated in ASG, diversity & equity programs, and Psi Beta and enjoyed making many friends there. I've also heard our MUN and Speech & Debate programs are highly ranked. The few complaints I do have however are that IVC does not offer any ethnic studies classes, and not many art, gender studies, and social science classes. Additionally, there are no calculus-based statistics classes and not many high level math classes offered over the summer.

Kyra

It's one of the best Community Colleges in the California system. They also are the second in the state with high transfer rates to 4-year universities. They have tons of resources to help you get into a University of California and California State schools.

Muhammad

This is an incredible college. It is truly the opportunity of a lifetime to be involved with such a wonderful school system. I have never felt so valued; from their teachers to their staff. Irvine Valley College is truly a cut above competing community colleges. They let you know that they actually care about your wellness. This college has greats arts, business, language and athletics programs, among many others. With priority transfer to UCI, it's almost silly not to go here if you're looking for great value and quality of life! Make the choice to switch over; trust me. The city is gorgeous, very safe and so impeccable in it's cleanliness. Dozens of great restaurants and retail stores nearby as well! I'm never going anywhere else for community college!

Leon

I love this college. I feel like Irvine Valley College is the best community college available in the whole United States. They offer a lot of classes and everyone attending the college wants to transfer to a university which pushes me to try harder in class.

John

To any LGBTQ+ student considering going here: Be warned. This campus is bafflingly full of people who think you’re less human and deserve less rights than others. You need only go so far as the Laser Café to hear men playing card games and talking about how ‘gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry because they’re unnatural’ or the library to hear about ‘maybe if we sent all the (removed) to jail they wouldn’t be able to attack regular people and I mean, it seems like they’d love it there, ya know?’. In the classrooms you will hear such gems are ‘Trans people are disgusting, how the hell do we allow this as Americans!’ and ‘if we say it’s okay to be gay, what’s next? Saying cocaine is safe and healthy?’. The demographic of this area of Irvine is heavily religious and while there are decent ones who think gay people should be treated like any other person I can count on two hands the number of times I’ve heard LGBTQ people referred to as ‘abominations’ on campus despite having only been here 2 semesters. If you do come, I advise you to stay in the closet. It’s not safe and it’s not welcoming – and I say this as someone who hasn’t told anyone or advertised my sexuality through any noticeable tells (such as a rainbow pin or shirt) that I’m aware of.

Amaya

I enjoy IVC because it provided me various opportunities to grow as a student and person. Such as Homecoming Queen (where I received a $1000 scholarship), Student Government (Senator of Humanities), campus tour guide and so many more. When I first came to IVC I was extremely shy and introverted, but IVC had too many opportunities for me not to take one. What I like most about the school is the professors because they are very personable and they're passionate about what they do. I always found learning in school a challenge because I'm a visual learner but in many of my classes there were field trips that helped me understand the curriculum. A downside to IVC is the lack of parking the campus has but what school doesn't have this isue. Also the cafeteria has the worst food. It's only good to buy snacks. Luckily IVC is in the middle of five shopping centers so there's plenty of restaurants to choose from that are less than 10 minutes away. Something special about IVC is that they truly try to help students make their college education experience affordable, so they offer a lot of free tutoring opportunities, laptop loans for a semster, free bus passes or parking permits. If you're looking for an inexpensive but quality education Irvine Valley College is the place for you!

Ian

While it is frustrating that I cannot study my major here, which is computer science, because our curriculum falters in that department, it makes up for with good math classes, clean facilities, and educated teachers. Although Saddleback has better equipment, I feel it is cleaner and safer here than it is there and it is a better commute.

Even at the end of a six-year-long path to graduate from Irvine Valley College, when it came time to leave at the end of the spring semester, I didn't want to. I have thoroughly enjoyed every class, appreciated all of the professors and their hard work, I have learned so much in my time here. The counselors are something to speak on, they help whoever, whenever and to whatever degree you need help to. All of the counselors I have interacted with have been majorly helpful, patient, kind, and ENCOURAGING! I would and do recommend everyone to go to IVC if they're not exactly sure what they want to do yet, because lets face it, very rarely do we at 18 years old. They are exceptional at helping you pick your classes for your transfer and degree. I love IVC!

Parinaz

As a new foreign student arriving to the United States for the first time, picking the right college as the first social and academic experience seemed to be so critical, a deciding factor about my future in this country. Intensive research was carried out by my father and I on appraising different community colleges and their surrounding environment as to make sure the quality of the education and the security of the environment for optimal results. Irvine Valley College and the city of Irvine as one collective community caught our attention as the right place to start my academic and social life with peace of mind, where I could foster and further discover where I would be heading to, meaning my future major and jobs. Indeed visiting the Irvine Valley College for the first time was a delight. It was quite a pleasant experience for an international student who has never had the academic experience nor the cultural experience in U.S. to start his or her academic life. The treatment received from the administration staff was quite assuring of the quality educational environment of the college. The helpfulness and the behavior was so calming that it immediately helped me to overcome my fears and start off my college with a high spirit and self-confidence. I feel that Irvine Valley College has the positive and supportive system for just any local or foreign student to grow on, and reach appropriate level of maturity for successfully passing through junior and senior years. After taking my assessment tests on mathematics and English, different counselors assisted me to set up my plan for my college journey which I think is quite crucial to stay on the right track. Moreover, going through he Laser Week as part of Irvine Valley orientation program was just the thing I needed to break the mental barrier as a form of fear which was self-created and imposed upon myself. The program was just the right remedy as it mitigated my anxiety while becoming more and more familiar with the college system and environment throughout the week. It gave me the chance not only to get to know the college programs and regulations but also meeting new people with diversity of culture and race. Needless to say, other supportive programs such as various workshops including financial support system, transferring system, and cultural diversity systems helped me to get a good grip of the available services. As for the first semester, which I think is the most important semester for any student, I received tremendous support from the consolers and the teachers. I really appreciate the diligent selection of the teachers done by Irvine Valley College. My professors truly helped me during the semester to make the necessary and noticeable progress in the subject matters, having good comprehension of the materials being taught. Note worthy of an example would be my calculus class; I can say with absolute certainty that professor Gupta’s mathematics’ class was the most effective class I have ever taken in my life. This class has helped me to develop my analytical skills which I was not aware of having; I no longer had to memorize everything as the professor successfully taught me the underlying fundamental principles of mathematics. Besides the excellent professors, Irvine Valley College provides other great modern facilities such as library, tutoring center, transfer and career center, math and English center, various sciences laboratory, EOPS, LAC, and others that students can take advantages of for improving and developing their skills. College security is also a point that I would like to highlight as Irvine Valley Campus policy has provided. One could say that having a secured educational environment is something that should not be taken for granted as it gives students the peace of mind for enjoying their lives at campus.

Areeba

y

Collette

Irvine Valley College is definitely a well-rounded school and the professors truly do care about your education and succeeding onto greater things in life. The LGBT+ Community is treated tremendously equal like everyone else.

Adriana

Irvine Valley College was never in the books for me. However, after attending an out of state college and realizing it was not my fit, I soon realized IVC would be my next step. I started my second semester of freshman year at IVC. I soon found out that the professors were very caring. They went out of their way to help you and make sure you had everything you needed. However, I felt the opposite of the counseling center. I went in three times with the same question regarding my classes and each time I left confused. I then learned of the student activity center and they were much more help than the counseling center was. Overall, the campus, people, food, and location of the campus is great. Like everything else in life, it has good and bad things.

N

it's a good space to develop and learn and professors are generally nice. there's a lot of greenery and it's a nice area. there's a no smoke policy and a couple of gender neutral bathrooms; IVC is really big on inconclusiveness and representation so if you belong to any minority group there'll be something for you there.

Albert

I think it's a great community college that offers a lot of resources to students. However, it takes effort on the student's part in order to see the type of support and resources Irvine Valley College offers.

Melissa

Prior to attending Irvine Valley College, I had low expectations seeing as it is a community college. I can easily say that this college exceeded my expectations, the professors really do want to see the students succeed and are willing to go out of their way to do so. I would whole heartedly recommend Irvine Valley College to all graduating high school students.

Nikhole

Irvine Valley College provides a great learning environment for all students and is equipped with wonderful resources to accommodate all students. Professors and faculty on this campus are accessible and prioritize their students' needs and always have their best interests in mind. This community college provides a great deal of support for students, as well as a clean and safe campus.

Matilde

Irvine Valley College is a amazing school to attend! From hundreds of programs, clubs, and students there is always something exciting on campus. Irvine Valley College provides astounding programs and resources such as the transfer center, EOPS, library workshops, and many more. Students life is awesome at Irvine Valley College from clubs ranging from chess to sign language there is always a club to join. A beautiful campus filled with nature, open spaces, modern buildings, amazing staff no wonder IVC is ranked #1 in transfers among all community colleges in California. There is so much more life at Irvine Valley College that words just can't speak so consider attending Irvine Valley College as your college to transfer from! Thank you for considering!

Luis

I believe Irvine Valley College has a great environment for students to learn. I have not attended yet but I have gone to orientation for the college for the GAP 4+1 program. I received a tour of the campus and it left me with a good feeling that I will be attending there for the future to come. I believe Irvine Valley College will provideba great experience for me.