Indianapolis, IN
Ivy Tech Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ivy Tech Community College

Tamela

The advice that I would give my high school self, would be to not give up before starting the college experience. When I was in high school, I had the chance to enter the Groups Program at Indiana University, which is a program for first generation college bound students. I attended the weekend college visit at IU and realized that I was academically unprepared and too scared to enter the program. I didn’t talk to anyone about how I felt, nor did I reach out to my guidance counselor, who was the person that recommended me to the program. Had I not given into my insecurities and addressed my concerns to my guidance counselor or someone involved in the program, I would have had a different college experience and possibly, a different life. I later found out that I was more prepared for the rigors of the college experience than I realized. Also, I found out that the courses that I didn’t have, could have been rectified, by taking remedial courses. Remember to always tap into the resources available, such as advisors, student mentors, instructors, and even graduates, when faced with problems. Never let insecurities kill your opportunities!

The best thing about Ivy Tech is that it give students a good start in vocational pursuits. It offers certificates as well as degrees which is very good for most students. It also allows you to springboard into an university. Most of all, the cost is just right. You get good value in terms of cost compared to most schools.

The thing that is frustrating is that they eliminated all student services at the Lawrence campus on Saturday. Having the financial aid, bursar, and academic advising available at the Lawrence campus really helped students that work during the weekdays. If I need to do something adminstratively, I will have to go the North Meridian Campus, which is very hard to do because of traffic.

DELICIA

I really like my school. I think that it has been an excellent experience thus far and I am excited about completing my education here and obtaining my degree.

I don't really know of any stereotypes so this question isn't one that I can really answer. I know that in Indianapolis there are a couple of campuses and the one closer to downtown is in surrounded by an "unfavorable" neighborhood.

Thomas Diep

The classmates that I personally have at ivy tech can be best described as, older, rough minded, insecure, tired, and what I can only assume through experience, powerful.

Time to have the talk. *Portal opens. Tom2 appears infront of Tom1's eyes* Tom1: "No. Way." Tom2: "Yup, definitely happenin'." Tom1: "Assuming you're future me. You came here to selfishly benefit yourself in the future, rather than fixing real world problems." Tom2: "Well, mom tried to make me do something nice, but I just ended up causing world war four" Tom1: "Classi- wait, four?!" Tom2: "Not important. Our conversation's restricted to a hundred-seventy-three words. After that? The end. Your silence? Basically imperative. Not mine-you, but like, you." Tom1: "Okay wait, so -" Tom2: "tut-tut-shh" *intense pause* "Alright, eighty-seven words left?! Challenge accepted! Hey! Past me! Get your act together! You gotta make your senior year filled with total exuberance, so you're feelin' good for college! What are you wearing?! Dammit! Why did I look like as if Bruno Mars and Taylor Lautner had a bady?! Listen, new wardrobe, be more social, study, drop the girl, IvyTech freshman year, transfer to a university after, then you'll be fine. Oh an- " Tom1: Wait! That's already my plan!" Tom2: *laughs* "I know. I just really wanted to go back in ti-" Fin.

The best characteristic I admire about my school is the program itself. Students at Ivy tech are able to test the waters of college life. What's also great is you can attend for a much more affordable cost. It's a great way to get your general educational courses out of the way for when, or if, you choose to transfer, you'll be good and set to move forward.

Briana

If I could go back to my senior year of high school and knowing that what I know now about college. I would find and appy for as much of any scholarship opportunites that is available. One the wekedns in high school. Just dedicate your whole weekend to searching and applying for scholarships because college is vey expensive and FASFA does not qualify for everybody. Also you only get so limited money to you evry year when you are in college.

The best thing about Ivy tch Community College is that it makes time for your schedlue and very easy to manage all your scholl work as well.

A person that want to attend Ivy tech should be dedicate to their work and also be able to give back to their comunity as well.

Adriana

Ivy Tech is a stepping stone in the right direction to reaching your ultimate educational goal.

If I were to go back to my senior year I would tell myself that things will get better, and that you are strong enough to make it through working those late nights as well as studying. I would tell myself that senioritis is not a real thing, and that I need to stop procrastinating on your studies. Also I would explain that community college is a great way to go for your first few years, economically speaking. I would warn myself that you need to keep my head up and continue to focus on studies. The transition between High School and College was easy for you, is what I would say, and it is not much different form what you are already doing. The only thing that I could possibly warn you about is parties. Stay away from them. If you actually listen to me you will save yourself several nights of tears, pain and worry. Please, do not go to parties. Just because I know you probably will anyways, dont set down your drink. Dont let men bring you drinks. They may not be as sweet as you think. Please, dont go to parties.

Honestly the worst thing about Ivy Tech Community College is that there is not really many options for anything. You have to choose options based on the few limited resources. This is really only due to having little funding.

Tracy

Honestly, I stood staring at myself in the mirror, putting on those last final touches and adjusting my cap and gown. My mother called and I looked away, just for a minute. Blink...from cap and gown to wedding gown. Blink. Blink. I was walking around campus, rocking my baby bump, crashing classes and buying expensive text books. Third blinks a charm...baby two, three and four. A class here, a class there. Thank God, no one is ever too old for school. I've gone from manual class crashing to on-line wait lists. Hell, I can even take a class from the comfort of my bed. When I glance back, this forty-one year old women is looking at me. Wow! Where had the time gone. She says to me...."start now and try to finish before the respnsibilities of life and career take hold. Transfer only if you must. The process can be mind boggling so, find a mentor who has been to your school and let them guide you. Quarter systems rule and above all...student loans are the devil (in my Waterboy voice), stay away from them if you can".

Bailey

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school, I think i would tell myself to create a habit of not procrastinating. I have a bad habit of waiting until the last minute to do something, and when it takes a lot of time to complete i get really bored. This causes me to do things poorly. So, i would tell myself to get on top of things early and keep it that way.

I wish someone would have told me how much different the responsibility is in college. In high school I had teachers who were constantly reminding me when my assignments were due, and when tests were. However, in college, it is completely up to the student to keep track of assignments, tests, projects, etc. The responsibility level is raised, and that was something that I was not completely aware of. That is what I wish i would have been prepared for.

The only thing that I can really brag about as far as my school is that I hardly ever have any homework. Other than studying for tests and writing papers, teachers did not assign us homework to do during the week. THAT is what I can brag about.

Sariah

I would tell myself to apply to as many colleges as I can. It doesn't matter if you don't get into some. I would tell myself to study long and hard for the SAT's and take the ACT's, and to also take advantage of CLEP test. When it comes to actually going to classes, and studying, I would tell myself to go to every class, to not get distracted while studying and to set up a steady study regimen for myself weekly.

Katie

I would tell myself to enjoy high school as much as possible, to make more friends, join clubs, even play a sport. I feel like I should have been more open to the entire "high school experiance." I would also explain how scholarships are so important, although my counselor tried to urge me to sign up for them, I did not. Now I have almost $30,000 in debt, it may be worth it to be in school, but scholarships would have gone a long way as well. Now I struggle month to month paying for school as well as all my other bills. Even though I cannot realistically go back in time, I am doing my best to attain any and every scholarship possible, to help lighten the financial burden. I am the only one paying for my education, and even though I just lost my job, I am determined to do whatever it takes to reach my education goals.

Ivy Tech Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.