Jackson, MS
Jackson State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Jackson State University

Marlina

My classmates are students striving for their goals. We all have one thing in common and that is to obtain our education.

Jackson State is best know for the Sonic Boom, also known as the band.

As a high school senior having a better inside peek at the collge life I would tell myself make this year count, continue to push forward, and make sure you do all you can to be prepared for ACT test. I would say you need to make this year count because it shows what you have learned through high school. Even though your high school journey is over, keep challenging yourself. Preparation can never be overrated. Continue to push forward because obstacles will come. When you make it through the obstacles it truly makes you stronger to endure whatever lies ahead. "Believe in yourself Marlina, and never doubt", is what I could hear myself saying. Teachers constantly said ACT is important. I never realized until now. Listen to the teachers they know best, and they are here to help. Last but now least, I would have to say follow your first mind.

Jasmine

The student at Jackson State are very helpful

The student at Jackson State are very helpful

When going to college you are there for one goal that is to graduate in your particular field of interest. While in college strive to be the best you can be. Do the best you can in all class and whenever you are struggling with any course always get help immediately. Also try to find friends that have the same outlook on life as you have concerning education and those that are perusing the same field as you are so that you are able to study together. Make sure you attend all classes, because those who attend class are more than likely to pass than those who don’t attend class. Just have fun and enjoy your college life and always remember to do the right thing.

I wish I would have known what major I really wanted to persue in

Bria

Jackson State is in need of a make-over.

Jackson State is in need of a make-over.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself "you are going to encounter numerous obstacles and not to lose who you really are, amongst the hustle and bustle". I would tell myself to be patient, goal-oriented, and have good organizational skills. I would weigh the pros and cons of my major to make sure this is what I want to do, along with the guidiance of my advisor and professors. I would tell myself not to get discouraged, when one door closes another will open. I would tell my future-self to talk to my professors when ever I did not understand something, or I felt I did not do the quality of work I know I am capable of doing. Most of all, I would tell myself all things I want to do is possible, if I focus and put my mind to it and that I am going to make some mistakes but they will be worth learning from.

The most frustrating thing about Jackson State is, personally, I think it needs some updating. The website is hard to navigate and doesn't go into a well enough description of the majors offered. At transfer orientation, I did not like how they had already made up our schedules, nor did they inform us when and where to get our IDs made. Some of the adminorstrators, financial aid advisors, etc., tend to have bad attitudes.

priscilla

As a young woman, married with a child, looking back on it all, I wish I would have completed my college degree fresh out of high school. I was never worried about my college career because I knew I would eventually finish and have a job as an educator because it has been my dream to serve others and enrich young lives with knowledge of the future. As an eighteen year old child, I wish I could explain how truly important it was to make school my number one priority. Now, I am working, definitely not at my dream job, taking care of a little one, getting my education back on track all while maintaining a healthy, loving relationship with my husband. My life would be much easier to waking up and traveling to a job I loved and was proud of. Although now I am working very hard to maintain balance in my life between everything on my plate; I live my life with no regrets looking forward to what the future has in store for me.

Jacoby

What is unique about Jackson State University compared to other schools i considered is that it was the only HBCU.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to spend the next four years in a junior college pursuing certificates in Welding and Collision Repair. I would tell myself to take more time to contemplate my career choices to prevent myself from having to repay multiple school loans. I would make the most of my caring, compassionate demeanor, and goal-oriented determination to focus on a career in Social Work because I truly enjoy interacting with and helping people from all walks of life. I would concentrate on maintaining high academic achievements so that I could broaden my chances of receiving scholarships and grants to defer or prevent massive financial repayments after college. In return for receiving these funds, I would give back to the community by volunteering my time and/or resources after graduation. While going back to talk to myself during my senior year in high school would have made some things easier in my life, doing so would have thwarted my life experiences and perhaps, prevented me from experiencing the things I have experienced and prevented me from being the person I am today.

A person that shouldn't attend this college is someone who is closed minded, racist, or prejudice agiainist minorities.

LaCorie

I like it at times, but it is dangerous if you don't watch your back.

I like it at times, but it is dangerous if you don't watch your back.

The students at JSU are nice for the most part.

The academics are just as they are at any school. The teachers are willing to help if you ask.

The stereo type at Jackson State is that Greek is everything.

Brittannica

The classmates that I most affiliate with are geniunely focused on there work but know how to have fun as well.

Coming straight out of high school, I was nervous yet excited. I was entering into an entirely new phase of my life and I had no idea what to expect. I knew that I would have freedom that I had never had before. Freedom required lots of responsibility. Now that I am an upcoming junior in college, I have learned so much about myself as well as others. I would now be able to tell my high school self that college is full of choices, both good and bad. You must decide which choices you make; parents are no longer there to tell you what you can and cannot do. If you choose to party all night and miss you 8 o’ clock class, it’s your choice. No one will suffer from it but you. You are simply wasting your time and money. Discipline, I have learned, is also a key component in college. Being disciplined will get you very far. Simply making wise choices will make your college career a success. And I must say that there is peer pressure all around but ultimately you are the only one in charge of you.

The most frustrating thing about Jackson State University is the fact that some of the staff members seem to not care about the students. I feel as if they work for the school and must interact with students, they could at least seem to care about how the students feel. If the staff would put themselves in the place of the students, they would probably treat the students a little better than they do.

Percy

My father instilled in me the values of going to college and receiving a promising education. Throughout my matriculation in college, I have been awarded some amazing opportunities and even gain strength from times of adversity. I have always pride myself in being involved on campus, interacting with my instructors, servicing the community, and maintaining high scholastics. But my greatest honor of achievement is not the positions I have held or the prestigious accolades that I have obtained, but the impact that I have been blessed to have made on so many lives. Attending college has been very fulfilling to me because it has allowed me to not only pursue greater strides of achievement but use my experience to inspire others. Every opportunity on campus that I have partaken in has played a vital role in allowing me to meet a unique individual each day. Upon conversing with each individual, I have been able to assist, encourage, and even leave a lasting impression on others whom I have not yet had the privilege to meet. Through this experience I have received a great education and most of all a greater purpose in life to truly inspire others.

Tonisha

Jackson State University is a campus of traditional, hardworking, and selfless productivity. Therefore, this campus is known best for its famous marching band. Our marching band has been dubbed "The Sonic Boom of the South". This band is committed to percision, grace, and entertainment that will move your soul and warm your heart.

There has been one very important facet I have learned that has made the college experience all worth while, I learned how to live. Before my duration at Jackson State University, my avenue to a more gainful future and a diverse social path seemed to be on a road to no where. Upon enrolling, I met some of the most diligent people that the South has to offer. I also encountered professors that have a compassion for their careers and students beyond belief, and campus leaders that are more than encouraging. Beautifully bound and gracefully giving, Jackson State University is more than a college, it is a home. There is a reason why Jackson State University is the "bridge to a brighter tommorrow". The very fiber of compassion resides in all Jacksonians, and for that this experience has been more than valuable, it has been simply irreplaceable.

There are so many positive aspects of Jackson State University. However, with the good must come something bad. The worst thing about Jackson State University is the openess of the campus. Because there has been so many new buildings incorporated into this great campus, it makes it somewhat difficult for students to be mobile, especially those who may be physically disable.

Jackson State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.