James Madison University Top Questions

Hailey

I think that we definitely have a large party scene here, and that is our stereotype. There is no denying that. However, a large portion of the student body does not drink or party and there is a lot more to our school. We place HUGE emphasis on community service and I don't think we get enough credit for that. And everyone is kind. I haven't met a mean or rude person here.

Lee

Slightly

Nando

Most of the students are drunk on the weekends, the campus is 65{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} female and I have seen much hooking up here. So yes, there are PARTIALLY true.

typically

Yes all three are correct.

Almost all of them. We are a heavily white, upper-class population but the college is working on recruiting more minorities. We are a heavy drinking and party school even though the campus is dry. Yes, the alcohol is mostly free at parties and the parties always rock. We do have a buch of social fraternities and sororities but we have so many more devoted to business, particular majors, music, and service. While there are times you wonder how someone made it into JMU, most of our students are incredibly bright although they may not always act the most mature. We are well known for our band and music programs and our marching band has performed all over Europe several times. And yes, our mascot can take yours in a fight.

Jody

Not entirely

not sure

jamie

No not really

-While the school definitely has more girls than boys (60{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} girls, 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} boys), JMU is trying to change that ratio by admitting more boys than girls in each freshman class. -It is true that many girls seem to wear polos and have blonde hair. The style aroun

Somewhat, there are a lot of girls and most of them seem/act like they are very privilaged. JMU is trying to broden its demographics, but it often seems as if we only have caucasian students.

Yes and no. They apply to some people, but not others.

JMU is not just a big party school. Yes, like any other college there are parties on the weekends; however, there is so much more to do than just party. Students attend plays and musical performances for free and there is a free student lounge called Taylor Down Under where students can get coffee, hand out, and listen to live music or poetry. Students also attend sporting events for free and there is a movie theater on campus that only costs 2.00. There is so much more to do than just go out and party.

Megeen

These stereotypes are not accurate at all. 1.) Even though the weekends do offer a plethora of places to binge drink and party there is plenty of other things to do. For instance, campus plans many activities and events on the weekends such as concerts, film showings at the movie theatre on campus, fundraisers, speakers etc. this is a great way not only to maybe stay out of trouble but also to extend friendships across the extremely friendly student body.

Reese

They are not accurate.

-We do throw awesome parties -and the girls here are gorgeous, but with so many they better be -I don't believe the third stereotype. I did not apply to either Tech or UVA, however i am from out of state. i know in state ppl that are her for our music p

kyle

to some degree

jessie

I think so

Gene

Yes. <--That's a period.

Somewhat

No

Jack

There are those sorority girls who seem like cookie cutter copies of each other, but the student body is really pretty diverse in terms of ideas and world views. The party school reputation is probably well deserved, but from what I see its not all that much worse here than any other state school in terms of drinking.

This stereotype is have true. Our minority population is small, but JMU is working on increasing it everyday. Everyone fits it somewhere.

The school is a very big party school. Unless mommy and daddy float you lots of money, have fun trying to find things to do that are cheap and do not involve drinking. As for the "hot" girls, it depends what you classify as hot. If you like girls that gob on make-up and fake-bake then yes, this is the place for you. Also the lack of non-monagamous relationships is pretty high, and loose morals are rampant

The stereotypes are fairly accurate, but there really is no 'typical' JMU student. While it can seem that the students blend together, each has their own story that makes them unique. We are an extremely active campus and we reach out for many causes. We work to expand the JMU-bubble that has been created in the past. We take service trips, welcome the community, and try to make a difference. JMU may be a party school, but it still has a conscious. We take our parties seriously, but not as much as the rest of our lives.

Abbey

See above.

We may have parties almost daily but that doesnt mean we go out that much. Some do but it catches up to them.

The stereotype is accurate, but there is so much more to the school than anyone can give in a single statement. To answer the question: James Madison throws way better parties than any other school in Virginia, and the school is somewhere near seventy percent hot females.

1) Is fairly accurate, but I wouldn't classify it as being much more of a party school than most other colleges. Sure, we pride ourself in our partying but most colleges have their parties as well. 2) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and from what I've heard, most guys see beauty in JMU girls. 3) We are not a very racially diverse campus, but there are initiatives at work to branch out and try to make the student body more diverse.

1. You will find pareties at any college. Yes, JMU is notorious for thier "block parties" but every school has their "legendary" party spot at a specific time of the year. A lot of students go out, but most will find that parties are filled with more Freshman. Genearlly upper classman can be spotted at Highlawn or the Pub. 2. Lets be honest there is a lot of pretty girls on campus. Guys, the odds are in your favor.

I mean yes, our beer is free and we have great parties, but that isn't what JMU is all about. We are not very diverse according to race, but as a community of students we are diverse in our own ways.

allie

no. every university has parties, and JMU has a great academic program

Carolyn

somewhat

Quinn

They are overly generalized to be accurate

Tessa

- I think the party school rep it not as big as people think. There's so much else to do and it's easy to stay away from the parties -JMU students are hardworking. There's always people studying in the library and on the quad..even on saturdays -Everyon

-we don't all have STD's, most of us don't -any school is a party school, our parties are just better :) but there are plenty of things to do if you don't drink -the highway has zero effects on my life -we don't

some, it is somewhat of a party school, there are a lot of girls, most parties do not charge you for beer, we are very spirited, there are lots of preppy girls, we do not have the highest STD rate

I know a lot of people who do not own a single item of North Face, I also know girls who don't wear Uggs, don't go tanning, and don't own Vera Bradley. However, a large majority of the population does. JMU students know how to party, however, we also know how to study, make the grades, and we're here because we were chosen because of our academics.

I personally believe that stereotype that both of the stereotypes I mentioned are false. JMU students are diverse in a number of ways - ethnically/culturally and different interests/hobbies. While JMU and most college campuses have parties on the weekends, there's always something to do that doesn't involve drinking. For instance, the movie theater on campus has shows on weekend nights, and usually there's a club or organization having an event, so there's definitely more to do than just party.