James Madison University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for James Madison University

Calista

I love attending James Madison University. Everyone that goes here is very welcoming and friendly. I have also had really great professors who push me to succeed. They hold regular office hours, and are all easily successful. There is plenty of opportunities for students on campus to get involved and there truly is a club for everyone.

I love it here. It's definitely weird during COVID times as there as fewer opportunities for students and everything is virtual. But I just have to remember that everywhere is like this right now, unfortunately. I wish there were more opportunities that aren't virtual bceause I hate that my computer that to be plugged in 24/7.

Paris

James Madison University is an amazing place to further your education! The school is full of supportive staff and professors. The dining halls are also amazing. Regardless of your major, you will feel at home at JMU with full assurance that you are getting the best possible education. Go Dukes!

Christina

I've been wanting to go this school since I first saw the Marching Royal Dukes in the seventh grade, and I've been hyping up the school in my mind. I was worried that I would over-hype it and be disappointed when I got there. I moved in last year for my first day of marching band camp, and I immediately knew it was the best choice I could've made.

James Madison University is an incredible University and I wish that everyone thinking about college would go and visit because they will be amazed at what they see. The school spirit there is what truly drew me in. I love all of the activities they have to offer. Every single person who goes there can find atlas one club on campus they would enjoy.

Mena

James Madison University is the best university in the world. It is the friendliest campus you could imagine. Our community here is so tight knit. We value our school and our school pride. Everyone here loves going to James Madison University and is not afraid to show it off. There is always something to do and always a group of friends to make. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Diana

James Madison, a place where doors are open for you. Seriously, that is our things, we open doors for people. If you see someone walking a couple minutes behind you, you have this feeling in you that you must wait and open the door for the. Its built in us now. You'll never go to a school that love themselves and everyone around them. It weird, and annoying at times but trust me you'll love it.

Madison

Welcome to the land of opportunity! Here at James Madison University, everyone is welcome. From the first moment I stepped on campus as i was touring colleges, I knew JMU was the place that I wanted to call home for the next four years of my life.

Christina

James Madison University was not the first college on my list, but the moment I stepped foot on campus for an open house, I fell in love and currently am a freshman at JMU. The campus is beautiful, but it does not stop there. Academics were my priority when choosing a college and one important reason I ended up touring JMU. The professors care about their students and genuinely want to see them to succeed. The students and professors are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. They have an abundance of school spirit which shows through not only on game day, but also in the many events on campus. JMU has a large presence in the small college town of Harrisonburg. JMU attire can be found not only in the bookstore but also the local Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond. Coming from New Hampshire, not knowing anyone, I was paranoid that I would not make friends easily and be afraid to get involved on campus and within the community. James Madison University has hundreds of student run clubs and organizations. I joined a few clubs and met friends that I will have for life; all my fears melted away. JMU exudes such a welcoming and happy brilliance that gives it a feeling of home. It is where I found my true home and would recommend to anyone looking for a school with amazing professors, exciting school spirit, and accepting students that bleed purple and gold.

I transferred to JMU halfway through my sophomore year from my local community college. Once I got here, I immediately found a community that accepted me wholeheartedly. I found a great new home, great friends, great experiences and groups to be involved in, and a great new major. I've gotten jobs here on campus that have been incredibly fulfilling, and found my dream major and a future career path that truly excites me. We call JMU "the happiest place on Earth" for a reason, so come here and find your place in the world!

Brianna

James Madison is a great school because I really do feel comfortable here especially when walking home from work at night. My professors are by far the best in their fields and they break things down for me to understand completely all I have to do is visit them in their office hours. I cannot miss out on talking about the on campus living experience . The dorm life is very good especially for upper class students. I transferred in so I cannot talk about freshman living but every on campus dorm is absolutely beautiful and in a convenient place where you will always be in the center of everything . The dorms are large enough where I did not feel cramped or uncomfortable with my roommate. James Madison pairs you with the roommate they think you will get along with very well because you complete a survey on what you lie and don't like and you also mention your study habits. Overall James Madison is a great school if you love sports, a great learning atmosphere, clean and state of the art facilities this is the place for you.

Tayler

I love James Madison University. It feels like a home away from home. The extra curricular activities are abundant, as well as sports and rec teams. The students are eager to learn and have fun while doing so. The professors care about their classes and have accessible office hours where they are willing to help students who need it. The campus life is awesome!

JMU is a place I have called home ever since I visited in my Junior year in HS. The people are so open and friendly and everyone is just overwhelmingly over the above average side on the attractive factor. There is always something going on during the weekend and the food is amazing. The only downside I would say is the fact that the academics sometimes don't seem like they are really being taught up to par. Other than that, I love JMU.

Brent

It is a great school located in the scenic Shenandoah Valley. You cannot walk around on campus without seeing at least five people donning purple and gold attire! The community and student body is welcoming to new students and there are always friendly people to meet if you just make the effort. Amazing facilities such as Upark and UREC exist for those with an athletic taste, and there is usually a concert or stage performance happening over at the beautiful Forbes Center for the Performing Arts for those who love music, theatre, and dance. It has only been my first year as a transfer student but I am opportunistic as to my future here at JMU. Go Dukes!

We have to work hard for our grades but we also have opportunities to play even harder. The campus has gorgeous scenery, a variety of food, and the teachers are always willing to provide extra help. Main campus is about a mile walk from east campus but the bus system is amazing and free for students. The Madison community looks out for one another and a fellow Duke will always hold the door for you. Start wearing purple!

Rodrigo

While JMU is no Ivy League or anywhere near, you can definitely find some good conversation if you look for it. The Honors College is a great place to start, as Honors kids play hard, but work harder. Everyone is pretty friendly, if not super friendly, and you can meet so many good people. Some dorm halls are terrible, but others are amazing, its just a "you got lucky" situation if you got a good dorm but tbh, no matter where you live, you end up loving it because of the people. The food is so good, not like home, but it is nothing to complain about whereas other colleges get like middle school cafeteria food. Lastly, the campus is so pretty and once you get used to it and walk it a few times, it becomes smaller than it seems.

Amy

I absolutely loved my college experience at JMU. Harrisonburg, VA is a small town and without the university there wouldn't be much there. However, that has created a close-knit community of students and faculty who work and play well together. There are a million different clubs and greek life is fairly popular (not a requirement to meet people, most students are super friendly), so I never felt like I was bored or didn't have something fun to look forward to. I really enjoyed my classes and felt like I actually learned something in each course. My professors were accessible and usually pretty helpful (I have one particular MATH 220 professor in mind who was not at all helpful, others were great). Overall, I would give anything to go back and relive my JMU days and when I meet prospective students I always encourage them to apply.

Ellen

The community is what makes JMU feel welcoming and safe. The academics are underrated and the business college is definitely one of the best for undergraduates. The students are very healthy and active as we have the best and cleanest recreation facility. The food is better than any fast food restaurant. There are so many healthy yet delicious options that cater to all dietary preferences, which is important to me as a vegetarian. It is big enough but not too big that it is overwhelming. It's the perfect size to have a community feel. People always hold doors open for each other, its a JMU tradition. The only negative is the dog food smell present during rainy days. However, everything else like the beautiful mountain view and scenery makes up for that. I would recommend anyone to come here.

Danielle

Amazing people and a great atmosphere. Going here was by far the best choice I've made thus far

Jarena

It is an absolutely incredible school and I truly recommend it for its amazing campus, fantastic people, earning a wonderful education, and to have the best experience of your life. I am very pleased with my decision to come to this school. What really drew me in was the home-y feeling I felt ever since I got onto this campus.

Mariya

I'll cut to the chase, JMU serves. It offers students the best and a wide variety of services. There's a writing center, a tutoring center, and career/internship center. JMU provides these services because they are invested in their students. The opportunities are there, the help is there, a practice interview is there. All the students have to do is use the services and opportunities that the university offers. Success after four years is made possible for all students that put in the effort.

Bethany

It's a great university that provides its students with a fun and enriching experience while they earn their degrees. There are plenty of extracurricular activities that students can be involved in, which help them make great friends and have memorable experiences. Most of the professors and classes are excellent, and students are encouraged to succeed.

Abby

Becoming a Duke was one of the best decisions I have ever made in life. I absolutely love this school. The people are all so friendly inside and outside of the classroom. All of the academic buildings are so nice and up to date. There is so much to do in Harrisonburg and so many community organizations and companies that JMU is involved with that I never get bored!

abigail

James Madison University is an all around great school. It feels like home when I am there and I am sad when I have to leave.

Emma

Going to this school will make you never want to leave. There is a reason why Harrisonburg is called the "friendly city". The four years you spend here will be the happiest time of your life. Your peers, professors, and advisors will make you want to strive for your goals. On top of your academic life, you will have the opportunity to have a social life to make the friends you keep for the rest of your life.

Michele

I think James Madison University is an excellent institution where students can thrive and take that next big step to success. There are plenty of opportunities for everybody to get involved at JMU and really fall in love with something that they would want to do for the rest of their lives.

david

Just wondering how many students have been accused of cheating on a paper and really didn't please be honest with your answer since your answer will and could affect another persons out come.

Olivia

I think it is a very inviting community. A lot of people are extremely friendly, the food is fantastic, and the dorms are really nice! Whenever I am walking around the campus I always feel safe. Sports games are super fun to go to, especially football games. The recreation center is absolutely amazing too!

Christina

Overall, I love this school because it feels comfortable to me. I love the way the campus looks and despite the lack of diversity, the people are some of the best I have ever met.

Olivia

I love my school! This was the only college that I felt that I could make a home. I have made some great friends and have become a part of two phenomenal programs (The Marching Royal Dukes and the JMU Pep Band). The professors are nice and the classes are interesting. And of course, we have the most beautiful campus and the best food ever!

Abby

James Madison University is the place to be if you love friendly people, a great learning environment, and teachers who care about you. It's not only a great place to learn, but also has a fantastic sporting atmosphere! I am on the cheerleading team and the football game experiences are unforgettable and exhilarating! I would definitely recommend JMU to anyone who wants a well rounded school.

Sophia

James Madison is an excellent college, the TRUE University of Virginia! JMU has high end facilities and a beautiful campus that is equally supported academically, home to a variety of undergraduate majors. Clubs and student activities have given me the opportunity to make a large school feel small like home. I speak for myself and most of the students here at James Madison when I say I wouldn't want to attend college anywhere else.

Paige

As an out of state student, I was nervous to be four hours away from home and a large university but James Madison made it an easy adjustment. Everyone is so polite and easy to engage in conversation. It is a known thing that we will always hold the door for one another. The last three years have been nothing but optimistic. I have made friends that I know I will have a relationship forever. The campus is gorgeous and continues to grow! Academically, JMU is challenging, encouraging and sets you up to succeed your full potential for the future. I have never been so happy with the choice I made to come to this school. It truly was the best years of my life.

Sharon

I give my James Madison experience a 5 star rating. I love being a Duke. As an intended nursing major, I have had to work extremely hard these first 3 semesters to earn a spot in the 90 seat college of nursing. I hear in 3 weeks if I got in. JMU football is championship caliber, ESPN College Gameday has come to our school 2 times in last three years! That day is my favorite memory so far. I am a student ambassador running weekly tours and I am a proud member of Zeta Tau Alpha. GO Dukes!

Sydney

The people are amazing, genuinely interested in your well being and ability to achieve not only on campus but off campus as well. The class sizes are bigger when it comes to the general education courses, but once it is narrowed down to your major classes the average is 15; the professors are extremely attentive and helpful- either outside or inside office hours. Overall the campus is gorgeous, and nothing beats hanging on the quad after a long class with lunch from the food trucks as dogs run all around you! I love James Madison and would recommend becoming a Duke to anyone and everyone!

Camden

I loved my time at James Madison University. The classes were interesting and rigorous. Most of my professors were excellent and always willing to help. My favorite part about JMU is the community. Everyone is friendly and there is a place for everyone here. I miss it so much!

Sofia

JMU is such an incredible school. There is definitely something for everyone, and there is a feeling of genuine kindness all around campus. Plus, JMU provides several options, from academics to food to clubs. However, there are a few things it can improve on, such as, acknowledgement of minority groups that attend this school. I know that sometimes people part of these groups feel out of place since the majority of the school is Caucasian, and at times it's hard to find someone they relate to.

Calista

I was accepted into the class of 2023 and I have to say, I have never been more excited to go to a school in my entire life. Every time I step foot on that campus people are always greeting me with smiles, holding the door, and providing very useful information. The professors I have met were very knowledgeable in their field of study and were able to give me tips and tricks for high school as well! The campus itself is so beautiful! JMU is simply one of a kind and I can not wait to become apart of such a big welcoming family! Go Dukes!

Caitlin

I really love James Madison University. It's the perfect size for me and I couldn't have asked for a better school. I got put in the worst dorms: no air conditioning and away from everything but the football stadium. But I also made the best of friends because of that; we work well together and help each other out with homework. I also love the classes I have chosen, they are definitely more difficult than high school, but the challenge is nice and the professors are always willing to help when they are free.

I love James Madison University and I believe that anyone can succeed here. They push you to learn and explore your interests, as well as ensuring that you receive a well-rounded education. There are so many opportunities for extracurricular activities and attending sports events, as well as opportunities for tutoring and receiving a great education.

Matthew

James Madison provides a strong and safe environment where students are able to fully make use of the many facilities that the school has to offer. The community around JMU is very friendly and willing to help students find interests and a place where they can fit in on campus.

Richard

James Madison University was the best choice I've ever made! There is a perfect balance between social life and academics and students really thrive here; in and out of the classroom. I have found my greatest friends here and found my passion: community service and giving back to those less fortunate. JMU has some many options and opportunities for all types of people! Anyone would be lucky to be here!

Emma

I absolutely love my school. I have met friends for life and have been provided with so many opportunities through study abroad and other organizations. My professors have been fantastic and are always available for helping us out. The biology professors in particular have been extremely helpful.

Zachary

I love this school, and I am proud to call it my home. We have tradition, and meaning. We hold doors open for people, say hello, participate in the community, and try to better ourselves as Individuals everyday. The teachers are always available if you need help, and want to see you as a student succeed. James Madison University was my top choice, and comping to the end of my first year it still is. I have found friends that will last me a life time. I have made memories that will never be forgot, and I cannot wait to see what the next year brings. so Ill end this with a brief saying that we love here on campus. Go Dukes !!!

B.b.j

INCREDIBLE! The town is known as the friendly city, and there couldn't be a more accurate statement. Everyone is kind, teachers are wonderful and always work with you, and the food is amazing. There are so many choices and different places to eat, that you wont get tired of their food!

James Madison University has the unique ability of making you feel at home, no matter how far away you live. As a student who moved from Southern California, I can honestly say that attending JMU has been one of the best decisions of my live so far. I can feel myself growing as a person with each and every class session and extracurricular activity. JMU has pushed me to get involved and be a better version of myself. There's a reason JMU is called the happiest place on earth...

Jordan

James Madison University is a very well rounded school , with great academic programs, including a very prestigious business school. The sports at JMU are on the rise, as the football team has recently won national titles, and other sports teams such as soccer compete at a high level with outstanding results. The food at JMU is outstanding, rated by many sites as top 10 in the entire country. The facilities which include the university recreational center seems brand new and is full of activities for students, from weight rooms, to basketball courts, to rock climbing and even swimming, JMU's campus is beautiful and large, but with the great bus system it makes it easy to get around. Greek life is encouraged but is not a huge thing on campus. There is a sorority row, but no frat row. The campus is safe, and the dorms are secure, only allowing entrance to those who live there and any guests they have. The professors at JMU by the most part are easy to reach and are great at teaching classes, but of course with any school there are exceptions. JMU is constantly expanding, from new dorms, to a large extension of the school of business, and a new convocation center. All in all JMU is a great school and is growing rapidly.

Grace

It looks really nice but heard a lot about how they're big into partying. The food was pretty good and the campus is nice. The walk across campus is pretty far so probably won't schedule classes back to back but its really nice. There were lots of hills so it will be a leg workout.

James Madison University is a great school they really do what they can to help their student succeed here, so they will go on to have great careers. The only thing I would want as a current student is more parking options closer to campus for students.

Christina

James Madison University is a very various college. You go on one end of the campus and you have some of the most musically and art inclined people in the world, and then you go to the other side of campus and there's all these math and science majors. The campus is like a big family, and the extra curricular activities offered have changed me for the better and helped me develop as a person.

Take our Scholarship Match Quiz!