Jarvis Christian College Top Questions

Preston

The advice I would give myself if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior would be to become a better test taker. I always had good grades in school, because of all the homework and busy work, and I would do okay on the tests, but not always great. No matter how much I studied, I just was not a good test taker, I didn't have those test taking skills and the correct studying methods. Tests are extremely important in college, you may have multiple classes throughout your college career that are only tests, I learned that the hard way. It has made making good grades in college a lot harder for me than I ever imagined it would be. I always thought it would be the same as high school, making good grades by doing all my work and then doing alright on the tests. College proved me wrong and it is definitely an uphill battle I have been fighting going through my college career, but I have gained ground and continue to improve.

Titcie

Make sure that you get your finacial aiid out the way first. Go to a school that offers your major. Dont let issues at home stop you from pursuing your dreams. Last be not least always stay true to yourself and dont ever change for no one unless you're changing for good.

Autumn

I would tell my high school slef that you should've took more initiative and found more schools to look at besides the ones the school provided information for.

Demetrius

Well I am a college athlete and I was also a high school athlete. One thing I would advise myself is that I absolutely have to focus on my grades before anything else. I would tell myself to work hard as far as school work because things are only going to get harder if you don't. Another reason grades are so important is that you can receive scholarship money for you GPA. Any college student knows that scholarships are everything. Nobody wants to pay a whole bunch of loans back so whenever you are able to receive a scholarship you hop on it. That's another thing I would have told myself when it comes to scholarships. Apply for as many as you can because you will always need them. I wish I could have told myself to get on that my whole senior year just in case my grades weren't all the way there. Even being an athlete you can't just depend on that because not all schools give student athletes scholarship money.

Tijah

I would tell my high school self, never give up. College isn't all of what you think. You have continue to work hard. You're independent, so you have to know how to support and provide for yourself. Don't think everything and anything will be handed to you. You have to work for what you want. Make sure that you start applying and getting ready for college early; don't wait til the last minute. Apply for as many scholarships aas possible. Most of all you are your own problem and you must be your own solution. It doesn't get easy after high school.

taylor

I would advice myself to develop more efficient student habits, to stay focused on the ciriculums we used throughout the many years of school edcation. Take education seriously, and become more organized in the routines and completions of my coursework. Make short term sacrafices for long term success make adult like decsions. Prep for the real world workplace and life.

Leslie

Four years of your life is a short period of time to focus and do your best when you consider that it will affect the rest of your life. It is imperative that when you graduate that you have given 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. In the long run, the return on your investment will quadruple and it will set the stage for all things to come. And lastly, when you make day to day decisions, remember to be uplifting and positive in social as well as academic situations. You will find that if you hold yourself in high esteem, your friends will follow.

Katie

The advice I would give myself if I could go back to my senior year in high school, would be a better note taker. I did not realize that note taking would be such a big contributor to understanding the class. I know how to take notes from the book, but listening to a teacher lecture and taking notes in the meantime is something that I wish I worked on.

Eric

Dear Eric, I am you in 2011. You got a lot going on in your life right now, huh? I want you to know that I love you. You'll get through all of this, I know its a lot. Take your time, there is no rush to find all the answers. Find a good therapist to help with all the family stuff right now. Take some time to travel the world before going to college, go to Bali, Kauai, and Europe for a couple of years if you can. Wait to have kids until your at least 35. You're parents can't help you with tuition costs so apply for as many scholarships as you can so you can go to the U of A like you want, then check out CIIS for their Integral Counseling graduate program. I know Danielle crushed your heart. It will take a while but you will meet other women that love you deeply and that you love too. When you go to college, take the courses that really inspire you, with the teachers that really get you. You learn best in those environments. Learn speedreading too, it really comes in handy.

Penisher

Before I went off to college I told myself then not to get caught up in any drama. I wasn't about drama in high school but I knew that in college it would be a whole different environment. So if I could go back and talk to myself I would tell myself the exact thing again. I would also tell myself that when times get rough with school work just keep on pushing and the award will come in the long run.

Nancy

I learned a lot from college the most important thing I learned was independence. I learned that I was a very independent women, who was going through marriage problems with a one year old I needed to support. After being in college for a few months I knew I was on the right track. I learned that I need to push myself to be better for myself and my son. He was going to look up to me in the future and I didn't want to let him down. It has been valuable to attened because now I don't have to depend on anyone, and I know that when I graduate that I'm going to have a very successful career ahead of me. I'm very glad that I decided to attend. It has taught me knowledge, friendship and most importantly who I am. I wouldn't take it back for anything and I'm glad that I decided to go to college and taking to road less traveled for teen moms. I believe that I'm going to go far in life and nothing will stop me or be in my way. I will make it.

april

My college experience has been a great experience for me. I am very greatful to be able to attend college and receive an education. I have also met great people, friendship that will last forever. The teachers that I have , was able to help me understand what it takes to be all you can be in their class, as well as giving one on one help if needed. I learned how to get involved more with people that are different from me, I began learning how to do research in writting skills. I am still learning knew things that will help me become a better student for as learning how to become a better writer and more.

Levietta

The one thing that I would tell myself would be that I need to be more open-minded. The reason I would say this is because in high school I played varsity sports and was very popular and knew everybody but when I went to college I had to start all over again and make new friends and I think the transition would have been smoother if I was more open to who I talked toand what clubs I showed interest in.

nicole

The best advice i can give to parents and students who are trying to find the right college to attend, is to tour the top five schools of your choice before making a decision. A decision like this is very important to your future; it depicts where you may be 10- 15 years from now. Take into consideration many factors, such as the population, the area and its surroundings, the different degrees and divisions that they offer,cost and etc. Also if the school of your choice is a little more expensive than what you could affford ,still chose that school because it will only make your college experience ten times better.

Kendra

One important key is visitation. A college can market itself a different way in the brochure or website that may not properly reflect its true environment, whether intentional or not. It's always good to get a "feel" for where you'll be at for a year. I cannot stress this enough. Secondly, stay ahead. When planning for college, make sure that at the beginning of your senior year you map out all deadlines you'll need. Buy a planner to visualize these dates. This avoids surprises and regret in the end. But it doesn't stop there! Continue on even while in college...here's why. As life takes its twists and turns, the college student, is not exempt.Unexpected things may happen. It is important to always have at least two extra options to whatever you plan to do, as "back-up'. Maybe you suddenly have to transfer due to insufficient funds, or a death in the family occurs, requiring you to educate yourself locally-whatever it may be, it's good to be ready. Lastly, pace yourself. Establish a good GPA and don't over-commit to extra-curricular activities. Remember, school first, then outtings.

ARZELIA

Make sure you do finacial aid and scholarships to make it easier to pay for schooling. Find out if its a party school or not because most party school are harder to focus, and pick a environment that you would be more comfortable staying.

Breia

Finding the right college is all about picking the college that works for you. Make sure before picking a college that you have actually ( NOT VIRTUALLY) visited the college of your choice. If there is some type of program where you can stay in one of the dorms and actually get a taste of what the campus is like then take advantage of that oppurtunity. always talk to about 5 different students from various races and various status, i.e freshman, junior, senoir.