Louisville, KY
Jefferson Community and Technical College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Jefferson Community and Technical College

Colin

This is a good place to get your general undergraduate studies done. Do your work, and move on.

You've always been pretty good at making transitions, the college transition won't be unscaleable but you'll need to be careful. Is now really the best time to do this? Is there anything else you want to do? College doesn't need to happen directly after high school, and in many cases it shouldn't. I have travelled the whole country and seen much of Europe since last we met, and returned to college at 28 with a sharp focus and specific goals. I have seen friends get degrees that have nothing to do with who they are because they jumped blindly into college after high school. Can you specifically name what you want to do after college and why? Are you sure you aren't looking for the college experience implanted in your head from movies? I wish somebody asked me these questions, and I wish I had been honest with myself regarding my plans after high school. Your transition into college doesn't have to be from high school, it can be from anything at any time. You'll be far more likely to succeed if you know what you're fighting for.

In general, no one that is not going to do their work shouldn't pay to go to any school. That is true here as well.

leigh

Jefferson Community and Technical College has been lackluster in acedemic challenge and in instructor ability.

I don't think this question is applicable.

If I had the ability to return to my high school self, acedemically I would tell myself to follow my heart, to follow my gut instead of doing the smart thing and getting a degree with good job outlook, follow your dream and attend school for your passion. My dream has always been to challenge myself acedemically in the field of history, so that one day I may achieve a master's degree or PhD. I have always been very passionate about history and want to work for a museum someday in artifact restoration or research. I want to make a difference in the world, and impact the lives of others through knowledge of our past and knowledge of cultures. On a more personal level, I would tell myself that things do get better, and to never lose the part of me that looks for the silver lining in life. Stay positive because good things are coming your way!

Kelli

My classmates at JCTC are varied depending on the classes - from wild and outgoing, to meek and mild, its never dull.

My advice to me, as a high schooler, would be to keep your chin up, you love college. While writing essays and studying hours for an exam might not be a piece of cake, there are so many more challenges awaiting you. Don't ever forget that highschool is simply a stepping stone to where you want to be in life. Make sure to keep your grades up, and focus on that 30 ACT score. Without a doubt, with enough effort, you can do it.

JCTC is a smaller non expensive option for people who really want to get great basics.

I was under so much stress throughout my senior year of high school. I had a part-time job and was cranking out scholarship applications so that I could afford to go to my dream school. In the end, I could not afford to go to that school. I instead enrolled in a 2-year community college. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself the following: We are living in tough economic times, and many students have to forfeit their dreams and accept that you do not always get what you want. Right now, while you are still in high school, spend time with your friends and enjoy every moment that you can. Do not stress so much over all of these applications or think that you are a failure if you do not get to attend your favorite school. You are still working to obtain an education and a better future. College life is not glamorous, and it involves hard work and studying. But in the end, if you put your mind to it, you will achieve your goals and end up where you want to be.

I consider the ease of picking a class schedule to be the best thing about my school. You are able to take morning classes, afternoon classes, evening classes, weekend classes, or online classes. This works out extremely well for me because I have a busy work schedule, as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the timing of some of the functions. I do not really feel like I get to participate in some of the traditional activities that most college students get to enjoy. I think some of this has to do with my job, as some of the activities and meetings I would like to attend take place during the day, while I am at work.

Amelia

Jefferson Community and Technical College is a valuable starting ground for eventual transfer into a larger University because of the variety of general education classes, the avid attempt to keep classes transferable, and the affordablility of the education.

I felt I prepared myself academically for college, however I feel I've learned so much more about my personal self since my arrival to college life. I was so academically goal oriented I forgot to make friends. You might consider that I was fortunate enough to move out of state where I had to make all new friends and not come into a place with a potentially stiffled reputation. I was able to create an improved self through my observations of my past high school experiences. I am now creating friendships and not putting limitations on who is "worthy" to be a friend. Everyone is given a kind gesture of friendship. As the years progress through college I realize that some friends will stray and some will need our close connection to stay on track. I hope to continue to develop both academically and emotionally in order to become a well-rounded and perceptive adult.

The worst thing about Jefferson Community and Technical College is the support system for students with a problematic professor; one is asked to first bring forth all complaints to the professor himself, possibly irreparably ruining the relationship between professor and student and potentially damaging the student's grade.

Jo'Nel

My school was, in my mind, the top contender for my selection. The main reason I chose to attend JCTC is because of all the programs they offer. The main program that caught my attention was the ULTRA program. Which is a program that allows students the opportunity to transfer to the University of Louisville after either recieving 24 credits or after two years. Another thing that drew me to my school was all of the on campus help. Everyone is so eager to help you through the processes. It was a blessing to have such people around.

Looking back on my first year of college, the most useful advice that I could give myself is to have focus, but don't stress. To learn to live life to the fullest. There are many struggles that will sometimes get you down but through it all you have to learn how to bounce back and rise in the face of adversity. The transformation from high school senior to college freshman was a scary but welcomed change. I've learned that in order to be successful in college you have to work on your time management skills, because in the end they could possibly be your down fall, believe me, I know how you are. Another thing that I needs to be addressed is taking care of yourself. The hustle and bussle of going to college can often draw you in and you'll tend to forget about what's really important, like taking care of yourself. School is important, but what good is going to be if you can't even show up to class because your sick all the time. Though sometimes demanding, the college experience is everything you ever dreamed it could be, maybe even more.

I think the main thing that I could have prepared myself for better, is the expectations. The educators in college have much higher standards. Some are more willing to compromise than others, but it's never to the point where you can slack off. I think the reason they are so aggressive is because they know that high school was kind of a light precursor to the challenges that college brings. College is on a whole other level from high school in every way. There is a lot more freedom, but with that freedom comes responsibility.

At JCC your treated as an adult not as a crazy teenager that finally got away from their parents. The other schools I considered were more interested in showing me what a fun time I would have at their college. At JCC they lay out a plan for you to get a degree and progress to a four year university if you want.

Relax. Don't worry about deciding on a major or the best school everything is going to be just fine as long as you rely on the Father.

I wish I had known that the Professers were helpful and that if you need help their willing to give it.

Alexis

If I could go back in time to my High School senior-self, I'd tell myself how the transition from high school to college isn't as scary as I had made it out to be. Yes, things are extremely different but just takes a while to adjust . Major things that are different is that going to college is an experience of choice rather than something you have to do. In college, no one will be there to monitor your progress, or get you to class on time. College is a time to express your independence, but also a time to grow up (mature) and take on more adult responsibilities. Your hand will not be held during the process of a college level education, you are learning how to take care of yourself by the time you are out "in the real world" and pursue the goals you have for your desired lifestyle. Successful tips I'd give to my senior-self would be to always pay attention in classes and put in the hard work and not play around. Due to grades and performance I could've earned scholarships to help me along in my journey through college .

I would say the best quality about myself woule be the fact that I try to get along with everyone. I find myself turing an uncomfortable situation into an enjoyble one. When meeting new people I am never shy to start a conversation and be warm and gentle towards them. I feel that anyone can be a friend; I like to interact with new people as well when they're new and try to make them feel welcome. I mean its always nice to meet new people when going to a new school, new job or new place of residence.

Something I wish I had known before attending my school is that the hours put into study time are very long. If I knew this I could have prepared myself with the extreme work load and have better management of my time. My classes are in the evening and seem to take up most of my day, when I need to balance my work schedule as well. Juggling work, school and study time while trying to maintain my personal life is stressful. I would like to find a way to organize everything, which I feel I'm doing better at.

Bethany

A lot of high school seniors stress about college. Thoughts become overwhelmed with, "What am I going to do for the rest of my life?" Looking back on myself as a senior, I would tell myself that a high school diploma does not mean that I need to have a finalized map of my life right then and there. The first couple years of college are designed to gradually figure out plans for the future. My biggest advise would be to explore all the different options.

The worst thing about JCTCS is that some people see it as an "easy" school because it is a community college. JCTCS requires the same amount of work that goes into a degree at a four year college. Community college is a way to choose a degree and begin working towards a suitable career.

My advice for someone trying to decide wheter JCTCS is right for them, should first ask themselves if they are willing to work hard. JCTCS is the first step to achieving a degree in the desired field. Students who start out at community college have a higher chance in succeeding when they get to a university. Hard work in college is essential in the process towards a successful career.

The unique thing about Jefferson Community and Technical College is the cost of tuition. Most 4 year college students pay double or triple what i pay to take basically the same classes.

Having the chance to go back and speak to myself as a senior in high school would make a big difference. I would tell myself to care about my grades more because in college thats what mattered, not my social life. Also I would have told myself that college is a lot harder than i thought it would be, but can be made easy with studying and keeping up.

I would consider the small class sizes the best thing about my school. The small class sizes help students get more one on one time with the instructors thus helping them excel in school. I learn a lot more easily when instructors have the time to help me.

Jefferson Community and Technical College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.