Birmingham, AL
Jefferson State Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Jefferson State Community College

Maegan

My school is a great institution to start off at when it comes to adjusting to a higher education and needing to save on student loan debts.

My classmates are a vast variety from recent high school graduates starting the next chapter in their lives to full time parents going back to school to create a better life for their families.

The advice I would gove my highschool self about college life and making the transition would to be to actually go through with following your dreams as opposed to going along with where you were pressured into going. My origin intent for college was to study at the University of Montevallo where I felt like I would truly discovered what I wanted to be and would be able to mature into the adult I knew I was inevitably becoming. Due to financial set backs and the pressure from my parents to stay at home and save money on student loan debt, I made the decision to stay behind and do as I was advised. It was my own fault; I have no one else to blame but myself. I would advise my past self to work harder on getting scholarships. Now I actively volunteer and do things for my community to give myself a better chance at scholarship opportunities. I am finally taking control of my own life: i should have done this in high school.

Anna

My classmates are very diverse, coming from many different backgrounds, political views, religious views, and walks of life.

I would tell myself not to worry so much. College is a lot more fun and interesting than people make it sound. Yes, it can be stressful, and it is a lot of hard work, but it is more than worth it. You will learn a lot about yourself as a person. Your views on some things will change, and that's okay. You will meet a lot of different people, some of whom will challenge you and others who will become amazing friends. You will have some incredible, unforgettable teachers who will help you learn, who will shape your views, and teach you things about life beyond just what's in your textbooks. However, you will also have some teachers that aren't so great, but it's okay, you'll still pass thier classes. Just work hard, and you'll make it. Don't be afraid to try new things. Don't pass up opportunities because they scare you. If you say yes, you just might find that it will be one of the best decisions you've ever made. Start studying for Scholars Bowl now, please. You might could've helped me earn more tropies that way!

A person who is not interested in learning.

Mary

I would tell myself to forget about the boy and stay in college! I would tell myself to quit procrastinating and get my application in on time to the school of my choice, University of Florida. Though I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time, I regret not staying in school and experiencing college life. The classes, friends, football games, etc. I am pretty sure my life would be totally different had I stayed in college. I might have been able to begin my dream career earlier in life. I might be financial secure by now. But, instead, I am 31 years old and I don't have much to show for my accomplishments. Which is one of the reasons I am back in school. I want to set a positive example for my daughter as well as gain knowledge that will help me in my real estate career. For me, it's no so much about money, but instead it's about knowledge and education. I never want to stop learning. Being educated and always learning something new is what keeps life interesting; otherwise, life gets stale and mundane, and I don't want that.

it's super flexible, so I can do it around my busy schedule.

it's online, so it's hard to stay focused & get my work done. No interaction

Tynikia

What I have got out of my college experience is that I am actually learning information that is in the course that I am in and hope to take a different approach once I receive my degree. I am currently taking classes online because I am a single mother that wants the best for my child. I would like to get a degree in a field that I am already in so that I can take care of myself and my child. I want the best for her and I want her to be proud of me for going back to school after 10 years. I also want to show her that having an education does matter in the world today if you want to make it.

Michele

Supporting of the working adult or parent returning to college.

Supporting of the working adult or parent returning to college.

My school offers curriculum offered by many more expensive universities, the schedule is more condusive of a parent or working adult. Programs are accelerated and classroom sizes are small enough to allow for one on one assistance when needed. Non intimidating for adults returning to school that have not been in a classroom for 20+ years.

Since returning to school in January 2010 I have found my college experience to be very enjoyable. I had been considering a return to school for many years, and felt that now with my children older and almost ready to start college themselves was a good time for me to do so. Although intimidated initially and not at all sure what to expect, I have found that the years of experience I have gained whether from work, family, friends, or society has allowed me to be more prepared as a student. Meeting other adults just like me returning to college after a long absence and building friendships. The value in returning to college serves two purposes for me: first, I am continuing my education because that is what I wanted to do, not only will it provide me with growth but also the advantages to be successful professionally; second, I want to be an example for my children, as they get ready to enter college, to show them that if one wants something bad enough and with hard work and dedication one will achieve.

Miranda

I do not find anything unique about the community college I attend that I have compared to other schools I have considered.

I would tell myself that even though its my last year of high school, it is the time to work even harder and not goof off like I did. I should have looked more into scholarships, because I make good grades, I just didn't apply for scholarships that I know I could have gotten. I would tell myself that I need to make better study habits, because in college, that is all you do. Another thing I would tell myself, which is the most important, I need to stop focusing so much on the present, and want I want now, but more on the future. The only thing I need to focus on in the present, is what I want to make of my future.

There are a couple of frustrating things at the community college I attend. One would be the fact that most things are done in an unorganized fashion and the lack of directions given at the school. Another would be that WiFi is not enabled in the buildings, and its very difficult to do research on your home laptop.

don't let yourself date! boys only will bring you down, and distract you from your goal.

Jefferson State keeps a good amount of teachers that are just there to collect a paycheck. I have had a few teachers that give me attitude if I have a question and only give handouts reading off of a projector and not even really teaching.

Anyone who does not want to pay an excessive tuition amount for the prestige of a school when they can pay a fourth of the amount each semester and get the same, if not a better education in most programs.

LIndsey

A place to get yourself together and prepare you for the University of your choice for the future. They are also known for their amazing nursing program and offer free GED classes to people who want them.

There are so many important things to worry about in high school, even though you don't realize it. The future comes fast once you graduate. You need to be preparing yourself for the long road ahead. Life is fun, but it is not always easy. College has so much more freedom, but also, it is a place where every move you make counts! College will be some of the best years of your life, but do not go in to it thinking it is going to be a party. Be ready to be the best you can be. Be ready to make time for yourself and your studies. Be ready to make something out of yourself. Don't let the freedom get to you, you still have a responsibility to pass your classes! Have fun, but be smart.

Someone who is not interested in bettering themselves of their future!

Corbin

First of all Past-Me, enjoy your final year of High School. You will definitely miss some of your friends! Secondly Past-Me, do NOT procrastinate on anything! It will make your life miserable before it makes it incredible. Trust me. It is NOT worth it! Thirdly Past-Me, make some new friends early! There are hundred of people in the Jeff State student body who are fun and entertaining. Most of these students are willing to help you with anything you ask, not to mention that some of them are pretty wild. They will make your life more fun and adapt you to a life that you have not previously known! That is all that I can tell you, Past-Me. Oh, except for one other thing - watch out for Mrs. Bailey. She's a doozey! Good luck and best wishes, and have fun touching that wall!

For me, it is the location. I live about an hour away from the campus I attend. Other than that, there is nothing bad about the school at Jeff State. The students are friendly and every teacher that I have had are serious about their jobs and their willingness to teach us, the students.

I tell them that it is an affordable school and that the schedules are easy to work with. It is also a fantastic stepping stone to a major university and the most affordable option.

Christy

They actually offered my program.

They actually offered my program.

I did not go to college right after high school. I thought it was a waste of money. I would go back and explain to myself how many opportunities I would be missing in the future due to my lack of a college education. I would talk about how knowledge is something than can never be taken away from you. I would convince myself that going to college was very much in my best interest,

They maintain small class sizes. I think this is important because you receive more individual attention from the instructors. It's also easier to get to know your classmates.

Jefferson State Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.