Birmingham, AL
Jefferson State Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Jefferson State Community College

Christie

My classmates are a diverse group of students. I love being at a community college because it opens the door for many types of students from young to old. You can learn many things from such a diverse group of people. I love learning life lesions from people who have already done the college deal, and have stories to share wanting to tell you from experience how to handle all the stress and changes involved in college.

I choose my current college for the smaller classrooms. The large learning setting never felt right to me. I wanted a smaller area to feel more comfortable in my surroundings and meeting new friends. The ability to walk into a classroom of twenty people versus one hundred people makes me feel more comfortable. I enjoy laid back class discussions more than large drones of people who do not want to mingle with their peers.

Of course I?d want to tell myself the road to the future is hard. Realistically I would inform myself less important things, than school and how difficult it?ll be I would tell myself lighten up. Enjoy your life stop trying to push everyone around you away. Life?s hard to life if you do it alone. It is even harder when you push them all away on purpose. Yes, people will turn on you and sometimes it will be rough but experiences are worth it. You will make lifelong friends if you just let them past your walls.

Alyson

My school is best known for accepting almost anyone, and allowing everyone to gain an education in order to further their life and career. Jefferson State Community College is known as a great transition for students who are fresh out of high school, and it is also great for older adults who are striving to come back to school to expand their education.

RING! RING! The classroom doors open and all seniors rush to the gym for the first pep rally of the year. The last year ever of high school and my mind lingers nowhere in the perimeter of the classroom. A year and a half later, I sit reminiscing on the immaturity of my thought process of my senior year. Assuming that I could go back to my first day of my senior year and give advice to myself, I would have plenty to say. I would advise myself to focus on school a little more than the cute boy sitting behind me in science. Education is a precious gift that should be valued. I would beg myself to see that it is important to work hard in everything I do. I would also remind myself that nothing worthwhile is easy or free. It takes hard work to reach the goals that we treasure most. I would also advise taking the ACT, SAT and financial aid processes seriously. Growing up is intimidating. Learning to study hard and have help from adults is something that I would repeatedly remind myself of during my senior year. Lastly, work hard, but have fun!

Before coming to Jefferson State Community College, I wish I had known that the classes are just as hard as any four year University.

Kirstie

If I were a High School senior again, I would make certain that I applied for many colleges and many scholarships and not procrastinate. I highly suggest not procrastinating on homework or doing well on the SAT and ACT either. Look into High School extra-curricular programs as they DO help colleges make decisions for your acceptance. A college education is very expensive and having the money is the most important thing, making sure that you are funded for college will help you not stress as much while you are attending college and that WILL make it easier to achieve good grades. Know that moving far-away from home to attend college can be very emotional and can affect your decision to attend a full 4 years; so, be willing to be away from home for very extensive amounts of time. Don't take going to college as a joke, it is crucial to prepare and apply for, I would even suggest getting ready for college your junior year of High School; if I could go back in time, I would.

Lorraine

SLOW DOWN. Take time to really try to grasp the information that is offered in each course. Sometimes you will learn more about life than the course, but there are an infinite number of learning opportunities. Listen, not only to the instructor but also to the other people in the class. Take the time to really understand your assignments and complete them to the best of your ability. Do not settle for a C, when you can push a little harder and make an A. Use this time to not only learn about academics, but also to learn about people. Why do they behave the way they do? How can you develop and grow into the best possible person that you can be?

Jeff State is good for anyone. It is affordable and they have several campuses. They also have a variety of majors along with a varied teaching staff. If a person is looking for a two year degree, he can complete it at Jeff State. If he is interested in continuing his education he can transfer to a four year college.

It is convenient and they do have highly qualified instructors.

Merryn

I was excited to move away to college and ready to be away from my family and classmates. I chose a school that was 4 hours away. I looked at the good side of the school. It was an hour from the beach. I was jazzed to go. However, I didn't talk to students who attended that school. Once I received a scholarship, I was set. That was a major mistake on my part. Three weeks into the semester, I was drowning. I had to take 17 credits or lose my scholarship.I'm not a very outgoing person. I stayed isolated in my dorm room for 2 weeks before I was allowed to come home. Once I came back, I took the rest of the semester off then started at community college. I had wasted time and money because I didn?t look at all sides of the school. Now that I?m ready to transfer to a school that I am really ready to attend, I can't afford a full year of schooling. I am frantically searching for scholarships to cover the money that I squandered since I made an ill-informed decision 2 years ago.

I think that the best thing about my school is that people come from all over the surrounding counties. They attend their classes and go back to their lives. There isn't too much of a college life vibe. It's very much like a business.

Any person who wants to have a higher education and doesn't have enough time or money for a four year intitution. should attend this school. These people want to better themselves or to start preparing for a new career.

Manley

Jefferson State is knowed for its high standereds when it comes to education. All my life I have heard of the teachers at Jefferson State have been the toughest aswell as the best teachers anyone ever had. Now that I have experanced this for myself I too will state that Jefferson State has the best teachers of any college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior I would tell myself to reall relax about college. Teachers have toled me all my life that college is almost impossiable to get into. This had caused me to worrrie that I mite not beable to attend because of my parents income being very low. I would tell myself that it will all turn out fine. There is all ways a way to attend college if a person really wants to. Also I would tell myself yes, college is very challanging, but don't worrie you will have more time to complete my assigments and will be pushed to become a great student. Finally I would tell myself that I will enjoy the experiance of meeting new friends at college. Since I came from a high school of about 500 students I knew everyone, but now at college I have pleanty of people to meet and learn from.

The worst thing about Jefferson State is that it isn't a four year college. If it was a four year school I could afford to attend it because it is very close to my home. Since it is not I will need to transfer to another college and most likly have to move closer so I can afford to pay for my education.

Griffin

High school is just a stepping stone into life. People make such a big deal about high school and ones social stature. I have learned now that this is completely irrelevant. I was so focused about where I stand in the social order in high school I lost focus on what really matters. I would tell myself to better prepare myself for college by learning better study habits, and focusing on important issues in life like money mangement and self efficientcy. I would tell myself to do better in the area of time management, as this proves to be one of my biggest faults in college. This is not to say one should not have a good time in high school. There is nothing more important than to make good, honest friends. My final message is that it does not matter if you were team captain of the football team in high school, its irrelevant in college. The people that you laughed at in high school, will be your boss in the near future!

Jefferson State is a melting pit when it comes to cultural backgrounds. The people and admins at this school are friendly and want to see you do your best. I must say that anyone could attend this school as long as they are willing to work, pay attention in class and be punctual. The atmosphere is typically laid back, but the work can sometimes be rigorous. One must study hard and keep a clean head to do well at this community college.

The most frustrating part of Jefferson State is that there is no cafeteria! There is no where to go to relax, or get something to eat. I wish they would be open to the idea of installing a cafe somewhere on campus. This would better kids mental health along with their social well-being.

Brandi

I graduated high school in 1995 and only completed a year of community college before dropping out. I have just recently returned at 31 years of age. If I could revisit my 18-year old self I would advise myself that the transition to college life is a lot easier at 18 than at 31. The reasons I did not go away to college and summerse myself in that life because at that age I was scared. However I have learned that the value of an education earned in those years supercedes the sacrifices it takes if waiting til one is older. After ten years experience in the corporate world, I have learned that having a degree presents itself with better opportunities than without. Also, when I was 18 I didn't have a house payment, utilities payments and a 40-hour work week to contend with on top of attending class and studying. I would explain all this to myself and give the encouragement that I needed at that time to overcome the fears and worries that held me back from completing a four-year degree.

I wish I would have known about more scholarships being offered, the resources that Jeffstate offers for new students and any work-study programs I may have qualified for. When I enrolled I had little guidance and access to what the college offers.

Savannah

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that life is work. In order to make a good life for yourself, it takes a lot of dedication. I would tell myself that the transition from high school to college will be easier if you work hard and study now. I would also tell myself, that there are more important obligations out there beyond video games and the Internet. A good nights sleep is an important part of being successful and procrastination is the enemy. I would say, the hardest part of work is getting started on it. Most importantly, I would tell myself the fulfillment of doing well is a powerful feeling.

The best thing about my school is the convenience. Attending a two your community college helps those of us who cannot afford to go straight to a four year university. My school helps me get through all those required core classes at a more economical price. After receiving my associates degree, I will be able to move on to a four year university for my major.

I wish I had known that life in school does not get easier. Instead, it only gets tougher. College takes a lot of hard work and responsibility, especially when you work a full time job. I wish I would have known that you sacrifice a lot of your time and you must aquire a lot of self discipline. Most of all, I wish I would have known the satisfaction, confidence, and self worth that I have gained from attending college. I have come to realize that college is a nessessity in creating a better future for myself.

Alyssa

I would tell myself to be at least half way sure on what major I would like to follow. Also, be determined to get an A in every class, do not slack on any work or tests. Strive to be the top of my class!

I wish I had been 100% sure on my major when I came to college my 1st semester. I took a few classes I did not even need.

Any person should love Jeff State Community College. The teachers are wonderful, the curriculum is great, and the campuses are beautiful.

Jefferson State Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.