Jefferson State Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Jefferson State Community College

Chelle

The people in financial aid return calls every now and then.

De'Asia

It was okay. Wouldn't recommend anyone to go there.

Anna

Jeff State is a perfect community college with great staff and a diverse group of students. The cafeteria food is beyond amazing with a great variety of food. One of my favorite things about this school is the class size. I do not feel overwhelmed by the amount of students in my classes.

Desiree'

They are some good teachers here and there, and then there are wacky ones. There is faculty that has no clue what is going on in their own school, and there are some that are knowledgeable. It is like a happy medium: not really satisfied but not really upset.

Alix

I attend the campus located in Pell City, AL. Housing isn't an option with it being a community college. Overall the faculty is amazing and go out of their way to help you (at least in the nursing department). The library staff have always been extremely helpful in finding anything I need! I love the Pell City campus and plan to finish out my degree there.

Mallory

I truly enjoy going to school at Jefferson State. I was a little wary about going to a community college, but I am just so happy that I decided to attend this school. The professors are there because they want to be, all of the professors I have had truly love the subject they teach. This is so important because it excites and encourages the students to be attentive in class. Class sizes are normally around 20-30 people, which was advantageous because we received the one-on-one attention from the professor when we needed it.

Kenlee

I think that Jefferson State Community College is a great stepping stone to starting out ones college career. Since it is a community college, you are able to get all of your general ed classes out of the way before having to spend the money of going to a 4 year university!

Alexander

Jefferson State Community College is a great college to get your credit hours that you need as a freshman or sophomore for a cheap price. I've had pretty good professors and In class conversations, but there's nothing more past that. If you want an education that is modest, I would attend here.

Trenton

It is not meant to be a social experience at a community college. The idea is to get an associate degree or get general courses over with for a cheaper price. After you take the courses you transfer to a university. This college does exactly what it is meant to do. The teachers and programs are good but there isn't much of a student life.

Alyssa

Jefferson State is great academically, but falls short when it comes to providing the "college experience." Not many extracurricular activities are offered, the only source of food available comes from two vending machines, and the Chilton-Clanton specifically does not offer as many classes as the other campuses. The campus police are very helpful and there is always at least one officer at the school.

Wahab

It is the cheapest route to go especially when you need education and money. The first year is definitely worth it just grind for what you do. Do not mess around because this is the perfect opportunity for people who are from different countries, on a budget, and on strive for success.

Alecie

I have been going to Jeff State since I graduated highschool and ever since I have been here it has been a.few ups an downs, at first its was the financial aid office if I could change one thing about my Jeff state experience it would be the financial aide office it's unorganized to me but I digress. Jefferson State is an amazing to attend its very diverse and you meet unlike people and become friends the workload isn't to hectic and I've only met three teachers that we sent hands on with there students but overall I would recommend Jeff State to anyone

Siera

I think it is a great and cost effective school for those looking to get an education and not spend the money they would at a University. This school works well with those who have a 9-5 business schedule and they help accommodate where they can. Overall It is a great school. I do however wish there was more opportunity for financial support, whether that be through extra sports or internal affairs, but they still do a good job of keeping it affordable.

Kirsten

There are multiple Jeff State campuses. I attend one of the (definitely) smaller campuses. The class sizes are small, and the teachers are pretty great about getting to know their students. I have had classes where I have learned a great amount, and others that I have felt like no matter how hard I tried, I had no clue what was going on academics wise in class. Everyone is pretty nice and the environment is always uplifting.

carla

A decent educational institution. The majority of my professors have been strong, helpful educators who are willing to work with and for their students and provide quality education and career advice, and while I feel the campus lacks a strong feeling of community it is a good option for students who are working their way through school and need a more flexible class schedule.

aarin

I love the quality of education I receive here. I have been a student on and off for about 3 years and value the educators at Jeff State. The educators make you feel comfortable to the point that I can reach out to them if I have a question. I also love the classroom environment and the discussions we have.

Joseph

I honestly enjoy Jeff State. It’s great because it is not too big or too small. The classes I have been apart have been highly enjoyable and engaging. The professors are amazing as well. They do a great job of respecting all students and each students opinions.

Riley

Jefferson State is the place that feels like home, but a get away to a big city. I came from the country and grew up on a farm, so with the smaller environment it feels homey, but with where it is located, you feel so far away. It is definitely a great place to go if you want to get away, but don’t think you are so sure about it once you do. I enjoy the campus and not having a far walk from class to class. Along with my fellow student body and my awesome, understanding professors. Jefferson State is a great place to be. Too bad it is only a two year college. I would love to be here for four!

Katlyn

Jefferson State Community College is good for a 2 year degree, but nothing more.

joci

JSCC is the best! The admin, the professors, the students are all so nice. Getting involved in campus activities makes you life long friends!

Marcia

Pretty good school. Hard to get in contact with Financial Aid over the phone. Teachers are very dependable and caring. They usually respond to emails promptly. I wish they had a basketball team or some type of sports team. Overall good school and they are very accommodating to your needs.

Lisa

Jefferson State Community College in the Birmingham, Alabama area is a great community college with many great opportunities. They have different health science options, such as nursing and respiratory therapy. They have a wide variety of other study options from culinary, welding to just the basics and transferring to another university. Another benefit to Jeff State is the financial side of things. It costs much less per credit hour than a four-year institution costs per credit hour. Also, Jeff State and the local Universities in the area work well together. So, it is a plus to get the basics at Jeff State cheaper and then transfer to another college to finish a degree. Jefferson State also offers Fast Track programs. These programs require a short amount of time to complete. These programs prepare the student for employment at the completion of the specific program. Other programs are preparatory courses, that prepare a student to certify for a certain job. Some of these programs include: Clinical Medical Assistant Prep, Dental Assistant, Scrum, Full Stack Web Development with PHP, Commercial Carpentry, Paralegal, etc. This college also offers many online or distance learning classes, as well as, evening classes to meet the needs of the students. These classes follow the same schedule as the regular classes. I appreciate this college and its facility. The teachers are great. Most professors are available anytime for help. They want their students to succeed. The class size is usually small which allows for one on one help. Great place!

Kearney

Jefferson State Community College can best be described as obtuse. You are ultimately getting what you pay for: no frills education. Its all crunch, with no fluff. This is not necessarily a criticism, however. While Jeff State does have some issues, I have personally find my experience to be adequate for what I want to do in starting a career in Nursing. If you are willing to do the legwork, and dig through the crap, you can find a lot of good in this community college. To start with the bad: this is not a school that coddles its students, or lends a helping hand. If you want something from Jeff State, you need to take the initiative yourself. The paperwork is considerable, the instructions generally contradictory, and you will get two different answers to the same question depending on what department you ask. If you need something, from financial assistance, to guidance, you have to find it for yourself. This isn't to say that finding help is impossible, but you have to put in the work. You have to find the answers you need by digging through the student portal, by doing searches on the website, and perhaps most importantly, by just talking to the right people. Most of my answers came from a combination of extensive browsing of the student portal, with a follow up phone call (or two) to verify what I had seen. It's a pain, and takes up time, but you're not here for convenience; you're paying for the education. Now for the good; I have found that the classes at Jeff State are a good buy. Much like the rest of the college, they're not fancy affairs. These classes are there to impart knowledge on you, and that's it. But the professors have been good so far; I've only encountered one class that I thought had a professor that wasn't doing their job. Most of the teachers I have actively liked, and have done a good job at teaching whatever class I was in. I only had one instructor that I truly didn't care for, but he was also very knowledgeable; as much as I might have disliked him personally, I found his class extremely informative and useful I suppose the thing to take away from this review is that Jefferson State Community College is a business that sells a product, and that product is solid. It may not have the ease of access or customer service of other institutions of higher learning, but the education you will receive is well worth the price tag.

Jefferson State College was established on May 3, 1963 as the first students enrolled into the school on September 1965. The school has multiple campuses in Alabama. I am currently enrolled at Jefferson State Community College in center point. Throughout the year I have attended Jeff state, I had to adjust to various new things from classes to finding my way around a new environment. But after the adjustment, I found myself enjoying my time on campus as I made use of the library and ordering food at the campus deli. If I have to give a review of my school, I would say that Jefferson community college is a good place to learn the basics of college life and what you need to know for the future.

Terence

It is a cheaper place for me to start my college journey. I take general education courses in order to transfer to a four-year university. This gives me the experience in the college system, so I hope this experience can help me take on attending a four-year university in a new level.

I personally think that Jeff State is a great option for people who don't know what they want to major in or want some time at home before they move away to a 4 year college. The class size is perfect for students who need one on one help and they have plenty of tutoring opportunities around campus.