John C Calhoun State Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for John C Calhoun State Community College

Rachael

Calhoun is a great college that's affordable and very well made. They have a variety of different classes and activities everyday. The campus is really nice and in a great location that is easy to access. I would defiantly recommend this school to anyone who is trying to save money and is a first timer.

Paris

I think that Calhoun Community College provides a solid foundation for those that are looking to simply get their foot in the door on the college experience; that is for those who plan to take their education up a notch by continuing on at a 4-year institution. For others who simply want to learn more about a topic or those that have returned to earn a higher degree, Calhoun is a place of flexibility and reliability. What you put into it is what you get out of it. In every school there are "bad teachers", good/decent teachers, and great teachers and regardless of their aptitude to do their job, it is up to you to decide what environment/teaching style fits you best and I believe that Calhoun offers you the opportunity to do that. A plus that I'd like to add is that getting in contact with advisors within a realistic amount of time has been very possible for me; especially if I have a specific advisor that I like to meet with.

Morgan

I believe Calhoun Community College is a great community college and an even better route for students to go financially. While many are against community colleges, I believe it is a great way to go because students get to establish responsibility and prepare themselves before attending a university. Calhoun is very organized, the staff and teachers are more than happy to assist you, and finding your destination in the school is super easy.

Adilene

Calhoun, in my opinion, is a great place to figure to what you want to do with your life. Many people go into college not necessarily knowing what they want to major in or if they even want to pursue higher education. Calhoun gives you a taste of what a college is like and lets you explore several options before you transfer out to a 4-year university. Not only that, but the staff truly cares about the students and do almost anything to help them out. They provide us with several chances to speak with other college admissions' staff, and even help us meet with employers. I might add that we recently received a Math and Sciences building this year on the Huntsville Campus; it is filled with state of the art technology and several commodities for students. In conclusion, Calhoun is a great college to be at because they truly provide everything they can for students.

Bailey

No on campus housing. No on campus dining. I have no idea if there are any clubs or not. Nothing is ever said about any extracurricular activities. I feel like I'm back in high school. I just go to class and go home. I'm just counting down the days until I transfer from here.

Kassie

It is a very nice Community College, I would recommend it for anyone interested in a 2 year education. They have well trained instructors who are interested in your success and will work with you one-on-one to help you access your goals. The students I share the halls with are accepting and friendly for an easy social life.

Michele

I love Calhoun Community College. They offer a wide variety of classes and majors at incredibly affordable prices, which is great for single moms like me. The atmosphere is, and always has been, relaxed but engaged. The staff and teachers are knowledgeable and always ready to help.

Denait

It's my first year at Calhoun and I have to say, it's great. The school size is a decent amount and not overwhelming at all! The teachers have more free roam over the students if they need it, because there aren't 25 thousand plus students. Classes aren't overly full unless it's required for all the student, which means you have a comfortable class size.

Caroline

Calhoun Community College is an alright school. The professors are usually available. The students seem friendly enough but most wouldn't go out of their way to meet someone new. I am okay with just going through the motions but it'd be better if more professors encouraged discussion between students during classes.

As a student coming from a family who all has attended major universities I never thought I would enjoy a small community college . Calhoun Community College has proved itself to be very student oriented. I looked forward to attending every single one of my classes day or night. They make sure all students are safe on campus with security guards rotating in the halls and quad. With every club activity they make sure every student is included and welcomed to interact. I would not trade my college for anything . I love attending Calhoun Community College.

Lexis

This is a great community college. Most of the professors genuinely care about their students. The staff is extremely helpful. The advisors try their very best to help each student reach their goals and pursue their desired career field as well as pointing them in the right direction. I am informed regularly about the events happening on campus as well as general information. There are plenty of buildings that offer specific resources for each and every student while they study. An overall great college and I would recommend it to everyone.

Jamie

I have taken a wide variety of classes at Calhoun, in class, online and hybrid courses. I have been pleased with all three types of options. Help is available if you need it. I have enjoyed the small campus size. overall I have had a very good experience at Calhoun Community College.

Patrick

My overall opinion of Calhoun Community College is that it's a great school to go to for those whose budgets are tight or their high school grades weren't the best. This school is a very accessible option and is used often by students as a starting point to transfer from. Keep in mind that I have only attended the Huntsville Campus and so I don't know much about the available housing and stuff on the main campus.

Katelyn

The professors are amazing. they are always available if you have a question or need something explained more. The administration, however, is a nightmare. They're so hard to work with. They are getting rid of a lot of technical programs and seem to be pretty disorganized.

Colton

I would recommend Calhoun to anyone. The atmosphere is centered on learning, but teachers make a point to be engaging and fun. I enjoy classes and always feel adequately prepared by teachers. The teachers are fun and personable. Most students are excited to be in school at Calhoun.

Lilly

It is a small community. Very helpful staff. But it is a huge blimp in the middle of spaces. There is nothing even close to the school other than a unique gas station filled with workers, and a Subway that becomes filled like time square when it is lunch time. I mean i no its health but what if I wanted some fries. Let me be me and have some fries. The classrooms are so clean you could eat off the floor.

The School is kinda small which I enjoy. You can walk to any building from the central parking lot. There have been a few professors that seem to be there only for a check but most of them are there to help the student in any way they can. I would recommend Calhoun to all first time students.

Daniel

nice community college. The staff usually are very helpful and friendly. professors keep regular office hours. the college itself is a nice size. you can park in one parking lot and virtually be able to get to all of your classes. the campus is very well kept and the facilities are very nice.

Helen

John C Calhoun State Community College is a great school to start off after high school. The advisers are nice, understanding our choice, giving guidance of transferring and information about their own school. Teachers are great and well respected. Without Calhoun, I would not know where to begin my journey of becoming an adult and understanding the world.

Shelly

This was an amazing school and I am privileged to have attended. The campus is absolutely beautiful with brand new building directly adjacent to the Space and Rocket Science Center in Huntsville, AL. The material I learned throughout this course enabled me to have deeper knowledge in other areas of science and enhanced my medical skills for my work as an Esthetician. We are taught exactly how the blood is to be filtered through a Hemodialysis machine and we are also taught about solutes and solvents, etc. Leaving this course one can easily jump into the workforce enjoying a satisfying career in the medical field

Alysiah

Calhoun Community College is a great two year university to attend if you are looking to save money. The staff is great and all of my teachers have been of my liking. The courses have been relatively easy and the students are all very friendly also.

Rebecca

I have been attending Calhoun Community College for several years now. Although I have been attending through online classes, I do visit the school time to time to take exams and sometimes to visit my professors if I have any questions regarding my assignments. If you are too busy and can’t attend school physically, I would highly recommend taking online classes. The teachers online are incredibly understanding and give you time to finish your assignments. I would recommend going to Calhoun Community College because it is much more affordable than other schools and it’s the perfect two-year school to study at to get your associates degree. Whenever I visit Calhoun, I am usually greeted by other students and faculty with a kind and warm welcome. They are willing to help if you are lost or have a quick question. One thing I have noticed while attending here is that all the teacher’s show one thing in common: they want their students to succeed. Yes, that may be a thing for all teachers but there are teachers that say those words but do not show that compassion. Here, every teacher I have had so far shows their desire to help each student succeed. If a student has trouble with their classes, they’ll go to them right away and discuss with them how they can help fix their grades. The advisers here are also very helpful. When you are in a crisis with what to do for the next big step, they can solve your problems in a matter of minutes. If you are unsure with what you want to work towards, Calhoun Community College will help you figure it out in no time.

Alexandra

The staff at Calhoun Community College is very helpful. The advisers are willing and able to help you no matter what the problem is. The professors i have had have been helpful in making sure I get the most out of the class and make good grades. The food could be better but for a small campus it is okay.

Miriam

I have been a student at John C Calhoun State Community College for about two years now. I am doing my prerequisites at Calhoun and then transferring over to The University of Alabama in Birmingham. Calhoun allows me to work with my work schedule and I am able to afford to pay for classes. It is taking me longer to finish my prerequisites as I do not have the money to fully enroll as a full time college student. Calhoun allows you to have more one to one interaction with your instructor as classes are smaller. Calhoun also offers tutoring to help you succeed in your classes. Calhoun makes you feel like you are at home and not just an institute. It gives you the opportunity to interact with other people with their various activities throughout the campus.

Jacqueline

John C Calhoun is the Community college my older sister graduated from and I will be attending there in the fall, the campus is a sight to see, the students there look like nice people, and the college is clean. I think Calhoun is a very nice college to go to.

Ci'Ana

John C Calhoun State Community College is a very good community college. They have multiple resources that helps you succeed in any area of study. The campus is very friendly and diverse. People take their work seriously, and they like to reach-out to each other. It is not super easy, but it is not super hard. As long as you follow the teacher's syllabus, you are destined to be great. Also, the teachers connect real life scenarios to their lectures, and it helps you tie everything together.

Dominique

Good start to the college life. they are helpful. and want you to succeed, its a good beginning to the college life. small classrooms only about 30 people ( from my experience) they helped me get my classes sorted for me to transfer as many classes as possible to my 4 year.