University Heights, OH
John Carroll University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend John Carroll University

Ruthie

John Carroll University is a good school. Each department has their own plus and minus; just like any other University would. Overall, I really enjoy Carroll. The cafe food is awful, but that is the only majorly bad thing that I could say about the school. The business school is amazing and their teachers are awesome. They have been in their fields for years and know what they are talking about.

Marija

I love my school! I am a commuter, and love that I can still feel a part of the community even though I don't live on campus. My professors are great and are always available, and I know that I am getting a great education from a wonderful private institution!

I love John Carroll. I think it is a beautiful place and it is very safe. I do pay a lot of money to go here though and that is pretty hard for me because I am paying for college alone, but they do provide a lot of scholarship opportunities.

Ryan

If I had to go back in time, I would make sure that I used all the resources available. I would not take anything for granite and realize the opportunity that attending an institution like John Carroll is an honor. I would also tell myself to be prepared to work hard and study on a regular basis. Finally, I would tell myself to take time to relax and enjoy the college experience. We are only in college for a short period of time and it goes quick. I would also tell myself to surround yourself with the right group of people and enjoy the memories and friendships that you have.

I think the core needs to change and the amount of credits to graduate should be reduced. We should not have to take three philosophy courses, First Year Seminar, and two religion courses. The core needs to be reduced so that students can focus on their major classes.

I brag about how I will get a great job after graduation. I am confident by having a degree from John Carroll and making the right connections with others who attended the university, I will land a great job.

Thomas

The advice I would give myself, would be more valuable than anything I could learn now: apply for scholarships, retake the ACT, and study until exhaustion. While you may be prepared academically, you are not prepared financially, and the transition will be more difficult with a commute. Be wary of the programs that are given to students from your school district, they will also be invaluable for college life, and college academics. You know your full potential, reach it.

I consider the size of the classes, and the overall size of the school to be the best thing about John Carroll. It allows for a close-knit environment, that is radically different from the more open-ended environment of state schools. Once one is immersed in the environment of the school, they may find themselves in long-lasting relationships with fellow students, faculty, and even those who live in close proximity to the school. It is veery rare for a university, and quite invaluable in life.

I wish I had known more about the diversity of my school before I attended. While there is a lot of emphasis placed on the school's diversity, in actuality there is almost none. Conservative, White and Catholic is the majority, athletes and social drinkers fill the dorm rooms as well as the classrooms. It is not an environment that suits me as a person, and knowing beforehand would have been very helpful.

Tatyana

THey push volunteerism hard !!! Evryone does service at some point before they graduate.

THere is no advice, I went through a culture shock when I got to college and you can't warn any one about that, they just have to experience it.

As a student of color, a lot of times I feel like my voice is not heard on campus. The saff works very hard to try to accomodate studens , but they ussually are working for the ajority and no the specific problems that bother minorities.

Janay

After being awarded Life Christain Academy 2013 Salutatorian, I should have just applied to many colleges and scholarships. Not knowing that you need more than just a high school dipolma to be successful made me hit the ground hard. It's hard look for employment that you would enjoy doing with just a dipolma. After high school, education isn't free at all. It's best to stop procrastinating and go ahead and further your education. I waited nine months to decide that i want to go back to school and that was too long but it wasn't my season either. I'd planned to be in the military by now but unfortunately things didn't go as planned. As of now I've enrolled into Atlanta Technical College to be a certified Pharmacy Assistant and EMT/Fire Fighter. Now I choose to turn my dreams into reality. Due to my career goals, this will take up to two to three years to become certified because of the Fall, Spring and Summer Semester and believe it or not I am willing to do whatever it takes to make this journey a success.

Christelle

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to venture into college with an open mind. I would tell myself not to be intimidated by the loneliness I would feel in a city I just moved to, the challenges my thoughts would face from tough professors, or my changing perspective of myself and my field of study. I would remind my twelth-grade self that meeting people like myself—individuals that want to do well for their communities, families, and selves—were friends worth waiting for because they would provide motivation, support, help, and clarity in moments of chaos. I would tell my high school self that the tougher the teacher, the more I would grow, and no matter how weird I, or my changing major turned out to be, my passion for education and love and talent for mathematics would persevere.

There is a strong atmosphere of service toward others that is not only exhibited in the service projects in which the students lead and participate, but also throughout the campus itself in acts such as holding doors for everyone.

If I could go back, I would give myself four key pieces of advice. First, I would tell myself to step out of my comfort zone more in those first weeks of school to better meet people. Second, I would encourage myself to go to more of the campus-sponsored events such as the dances, dinner on the town, and bingo. Both of those pieces of advice would have helped me to meet more people and get more invoved on campus. The third piece of advice would be to buy a hat and a good pair of winter boots. I was not prepared for winter in Cleveland, so this piece would have helped me to keep my feet dry before all the stores were sold out of boots. Finally, while the written roommate agreement is essential for ensuring a good roommate relationship, I would tell myself NOT to include my aversion to “manufactured cheese smells” in the agreement. This piece would have saved me much ridicule and good-natured teasing in the long run. All-in-all, while my transition to college was not a bad one, these pieces of advice would have improved those first months of college.

The weather is the worst part. While the snow itself is not too bad, the duration of the winter and amount of wind and snow can be wearing on everyone.

Spencer

John Carroll feels very friendly compared to other schools. It seems like everyone knows each other, and the professors really seem invested in their students. Students are treated as people, not numbers.

Having just completed my first semester at college, my advice to my high school self would be simple - don't be afraid to meet people. I went to public schools, and I literally grew up with my classmates. The kids in the drop-off line at preschool were the same ones walking across the stage with me at graduation. Being thrown into a new environment, at a new school, in a new city, I was nervous about finding a new group of friends. But I discovered that those first few days at college that everyone is in the same boat. I may be really nervous about sitting next to a random person in the cafeteria, but that person might not know anyone else they're sitting with either. It's an awesome opportunity to have a clean slate and to meet people without fear of wedging in to an established clique - to meet people that might someday turn out to be your best friends.

The small size means that I have much closer interactions with my professors. Some of my friends at big state schools never even met their professors, while at John Carroll my history professor got the entire class tickets to a pre-screening of a new, relevant movie and then offered to pick anyone up who needed a ride to the theater.

John Carroll University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.