University Heights, OH
John Carroll University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend John Carroll University

Rita

Its size and location provide a unique experience for students. It is small and suburban, yet allows students to stay connected to the city of Cleveland. They get the benefits of living in a nice community with all the opportunities offered by businesses such as the Cleveland Clinic. Students have access to internships in their field of study without having to deal with the hustle and bustle of city life/

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself that college is the time to really figure out what you enjoy doing. It is a time to learn how you do on your own and what pursuits in life you are passionate about. While it is always important to keep those who support you in mind, it is still your life for you to decide what you would like to pursue. Also, some of the more difficult things turn out to be the more rewarding. As we are in an economic recession, it is also very important to make practical choices. For example, perhaps you love philosophy it may be difficult to find a job with that degree. As such, be sure to pair it with a field of study that will give you a future. Most importantly, this opportunity is a gift that only happens once so be sure to climb every mountain, explore every option, and take chances (based on logic and reason).

Someone who is comfortable in a small school setting. John Carroll is small and inviting, but for someone to truly be happy they must be comfortable recognizing the majority of people in their classes and in the dining hall. While it is open to other faiths, being Catholic makes it easier to practice your faith as it is a Jesuit University.

julia

i would tell myself that no matter how fun life seemed to be without an education isnt worth it. once your old enough to understand that you couldnt get anywhere with out proper education its sometimes too late to act on it.

Robyn

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would first tell myself to charish every day you have with your high school friends now because things do change when you get into high school. I would tell myself that you are going to be feel the worst homesickness that you ever felt in the first two weeks of college, but it will all get better and in fact that homesickenss will make you a stronger and more independent person. I woudl tell myself to go out and talk to everyone you can in the orientation activites. I would also tell myself to get really close with your floormates because that is definitly your family when your in college. I would tell myself that the work load is going to be hard at first but just take a deep breath and you will get through it one assignment at a time. The most important thing I would tell myself is to keep on smiling and alwyas be true to yourself. Thank you.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is the type of person that doesn't want to get a good education and have fun in the process. This university has a good combination of fun and a hard learning environment. I have met some of the most fun and interesting people at this university and have learned so much so far and I am only a sophomore. I can't wait to see what the next two years has in store for me at this university.

Pauline

I would tell her to research more colleges in the Midwest in order to have more colleges to choose from. I had chosen John Carroll University because I felt that living in the Midwest would be an interesting change of environment for myself since I have lived in the East Coast for most of my life. I would also tell her to not take schoolwork too seriously, to study more than to devote time to homework. I have found that tests and quizzes are more important than homework for a majority of my classes.

Victoria

My school is a Jesuit Catholic University that puts a strong emphasis on justice and service to those who need it most and is known to instill this in many of their graduates.

The main advice I would give myself would be to not be so hard on yourself and just try to stay organized. When you start college you realize a whole new meaning to time managment. At John Carroll the more invovled you get, the harder it is to just put things off or to not be organized. At the same time I would also remind myself while organization, grades, and invovlment are all important, they are not worth the stress you are going to put yourself under. College is also supposed to be a fun time in your life, so do things, be busy, but do not let it ruin you. So breathe, have fun (responsiblity), and give yourself credit for what you accomplish. And believe me high school self, you will accomplish great stuff. Pray. Give yourself Tori time. Love your young life.

The best thing I consider about my school is the size because you get the personal attention that is so important when you are in a difficult class. Just as classes should, they get small and intimiate for most majors as they get higher in their concentration. It is alot easier to be noticed and to ask for help when you are in a more close knit learning enviroment rather than a large lecture hall. Also, it is harder to be absent, and no one notice it. Which I believe is a good thing.

If I could go back to high school and give myself any advice about college there would be a few things I?d say. I would say befriend everyone because everyone has something to give. Every person that you meet will have an impact on your life. Your friends are your handpicked family so have a lot of them. Open yourself to new and exciting things but of course work hard. It?s so important to work hard in class and take the time needed to study so you can have fun later. Take every day one at a time. There are going to be some challenges but it will only make you a stronger individual. Everything truly does happen for a reason for better or worse life does go on. It?s what you do with those challenges that make you a stronger person.

The type of person that shouldnt attend John Carroll is someone who doesnt want to work hard. If you dont work hard you wont make it at any college.

The most frustrating thing about John Carroll is the amount is costs to attend. I am struggling in paying for an education that i want to much to be from John Carroll i couldnt imagine going anywhere else.

Jennylee

DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD TELL MYSELF. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO DO YOUR ASSIGNMENTS WHATEVER THEY MAY BE BECAUSE YOU WILL REGRET IT. I HAVE SEEN MANY STUDENTS REGRET PUTTING IT OFF AND THEN HAVE TO SCRAMBLE TO GET THE WORK DONE. I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. TIME IS ANOTHER BIG ISSUE. LEARN HOW TO MANAGE YOUR TIME WITHOUT OVERDOING IT BECAUSE IT REALLY HELPS CUT BACK ON YOUR STRESS LEVELS AND KEEPS YOUR MIND WORKING PROPERLY. STUDYING IS ANOTHER BIGGIE. BE SURE TO STUDY 110% OF THE TIME WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN CLASS, BUT THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS STUDY THE MATERIAL JUST LEARNED RIGHT AFTER CLASS BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT BY DOING THIS, STUDENTS RETAIN MORE INFORMATION THIS WAY...I LEARNED THIS IN MY INTRO TO PSYCHOLOGY COURSE. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!!! BELIEVE ME THE PROFESSORS ARE NOT JUST GOING TO GIVE YOU AN "A", YOU HAVE TO EARN IT AND IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF WORK YO DO SO, SO DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED AND WHEN YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO EXTRA CREDIT GO FOR IT!

Christopher

The school's size allows for a level of intimacy that the other schools I considered did not offer. Yet it never feels too small; there are always things to do or places to go to get away from one part of the campus.

I would tell the high school senior version of myself to be more relaxed about the process. With such obstacles to face as time management and harder classes, as well as the social aspect of meeting new people everyday, the experience seems quite nerve wracking as you go into it. But having already gone through all of that, I would tell myself not to panic or stress and just try my best and work hard. Things have gone extremely well for me after making the huge adjustment to college life and I would explain that to myself then, as I recall being terribly worried all summer about it. I would also encourage myself to be more open with people around me during the process. I found after a little while that talking to other students and faculty made life a lot easier. Students are all pretty much going through the same thing and that is a very important thing to know: you are never alone. People, especially advisors, are very understanding about the difficulties of adjusting to a radically different lifestyle and workload unlike anything we'd ever faced ibefore. Talking to others made a large difference in my experience.

The economy had forced a lot of cutbacks at the school and staff has been among those. I am attempting to double major in history and english and with so few history classes being offered right now it may be impossible to accomplish. I know many of my friends are facing similar difficulties with scheduling and getting required classes out of the way for their majors in many varying fields. The core curriculum is so rigorous that it only adds to the difficulty of the situation.

Howard

What's unique about John Carroll is that it offers a direct hands on experience for people in the communications programs. I'm involved with the radio station at John Carroll, and John Carroll gives myself along with other students the opportunity to broadcast sporting events, and the radio station also gives students the opportunity to have their own music shows as if they are actual DJ's on a commercial radio station. John Carroll also offers real life experience with the school newspaper, "The Carroll News," which gives hands on journlism work to prepare students for journalism careers.

The advice I would give to myself is to simply be ready to work very hard! As my Freshman year at John Carroll came on the horizon in the fall of 2008, I had no idea that college was going to be as much work as it actually is! I have never worked harder in my entire life for my first three semesters at JCU, but it has been well worth it as I am carrying a 3.84 GPA thanks to the work I've put in at John Carroll. Based off of everything I've just said, I would tell myself back in high school to be prepared for a lot of hard work! And in order to work very hard in college, the advice I would give to myself would be to have an open mind about everything in college, and to always be on top of assignments by never procrastinating! I would finally tell msyelf to have fun, and enjoy the next four years, because no matter how stressful it may be as far as academics and keeping your grades up may be, all the hard work will be worth it in the end after graduation!

Kara

The school is best known for the business school . It also known for the academically challenging courses and majors.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself a lot of advce. First off I would tell myself that it is important to make the right decision based on what I want to do with my life. Choosing the right school is so important. I would also tell myself that it is important to meet with the professors and get a tutor if something is not registering or making sense. They are here to help and many people do not use them as resources to do better and learn more. I would then tell myself to just be confident and belive in yourself! That is what will get you far!

I wish I had known that the business school was very successful. I am a communications major and I would have minored in business if I would have known sooner.

John Carroll University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.