John Carroll University Top Questions

If I had to go back in time, I would make sure that I used all the resources available. I would not take anything for granite and realize the opportunity that attending an institution like John Carroll is an honor. I would also tell myself to be prepared to work hard and study on a regular basis. Finally, I would tell myself to take time to relax and enjoy the college experience. We are only in college for a short period of time and it goes quick. I would also tell myself to surround yourself with the right group of people and enjoy the memories and friendships that you have.

The advice I would give myself, would be more valuable than anything I could learn now: apply for scholarships, retake the ACT, and study until exhaustion. While you may be prepared academically, you are not prepared financially, and the transition will be more difficult with a commute. Be wary of the programs that are given to students from your school district, they will also be invaluable for college life, and college academics. You know your full potential, reach it.

Tatyana

THere is no advice, I went through a culture shock when I got to college and you can't warn any one about that, they just have to experience it.

Janay

After being awarded Life Christain Academy 2013 Salutatorian, I should have just applied to many colleges and scholarships. Not knowing that you need more than just a high school dipolma to be successful made me hit the ground hard. It's hard look for employment that you would enjoy doing with just a dipolma. After high school, education isn't free at all. It's best to stop procrastinating and go ahead and further your education. I waited nine months to decide that i want to go back to school and that was too long but it wasn't my season either. I'd planned to be in the military by now but unfortunately things didn't go as planned. As of now I've enrolled into Atlanta Technical College to be a certified Pharmacy Assistant and EMT/Fire Fighter. Now I choose to turn my dreams into reality. Due to my career goals, this will take up to two to three years to become certified because of the Fall, Spring and Summer Semester and believe it or not I am willing to do whatever it takes to make this journey a success.

Christelle

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to venture into college with an open mind. I would tell myself not to be intimidated by the loneliness I would feel in a city I just moved to, the challenges my thoughts would face from tough professors, or my changing perspective of myself and my field of study. I would remind my twelth-grade self that meeting people like myself—individuals that want to do well for their communities, families, and selves—were friends worth waiting for because they would provide motivation, support, help, and clarity in moments of chaos. I would tell my high school self that the tougher the teacher, the more I would grow, and no matter how weird I, or my changing major turned out to be, my passion for education and love and talent for mathematics would persevere.

If I could go back, I would give myself four key pieces of advice. First, I would tell myself to step out of my comfort zone more in those first weeks of school to better meet people. Second, I would encourage myself to go to more of the campus-sponsored events such as the dances, dinner on the town, and bingo. Both of those pieces of advice would have helped me to meet more people and get more invoved on campus. The third piece of advice would be to buy a hat and a good pair of winter boots. I was not prepared for winter in Cleveland, so this piece would have helped me to keep my feet dry before all the stores were sold out of boots. Finally, while the written roommate agreement is essential for ensuring a good roommate relationship, I would tell myself NOT to include my aversion to “manufactured cheese smells” in the agreement. This piece would have saved me much ridicule and good-natured teasing in the long run. All-in-all, while my transition to college was not a bad one, these pieces of advice would have improved those first months of college.

Spencer

Having just completed my first semester at college, my advice to my high school self would be simple - don't be afraid to meet people. I went to public schools, and I literally grew up with my classmates. The kids in the drop-off line at preschool were the same ones walking across the stage with me at graduation. Being thrown into a new environment, at a new school, in a new city, I was nervous about finding a new group of friends. But I discovered that those first few days at college that everyone is in the same boat. I may be really nervous about sitting next to a random person in the cafeteria, but that person might not know anyone else they're sitting with either. It's an awesome opportunity to have a clean slate and to meet people without fear of wedging in to an established clique - to meet people that might someday turn out to be your best friends.

I would tell myself to truly visit every school possible.

I have always pushed myself even harder than my parents push me to do my absolute best in school. If I had the opportunity to give myself advice, I would remind myself that college is where one goes to school because one wants to further their education, not because they are required to go. Instead of stressing out about the differences between high school and college, I would encourage myself to look at how similar they will be for me. Because I was always my own motivation in high school, college will not be such a huge transition. I also know that college is a lot more competitive than high school, because everyone has their own desire to be there. Therefore, I would encourage myself to simply do my best, not compare myself to other students, and keep in mind that I should do all that I do for my own benefit. There is no point in wishing I had done what anyone else has done because they are in a different situation. I am very proud of all I have accomplished, and I would not change anything that I have done to make it to this point.

I would give myself the advice: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! I was recruited for the honors program after my freshman year at JCU. After getting over the stereotype of "bookworms, nerds, etc" I enrolled in the program, and it was the best thing that happened to me during my college career! It challenged me in ways I had never imagined and I gained not only a tremendous education, but the personal confidence that the knowledge I have can never be taken away from me. Know that your education teaches you to creative problem-solve & you will be able turn the status quo upside down. As a young working professional I now desperately crave the challenge of graduate school. I know that it will give me the power to become a leader in the workforce, and gain more power to steer my career path. The more education you have, the more power you have to control your own destiny and the opportunity to help others. Lastly, you can lose your friends, your family, your home, or your money but the one gift you will have no one can ever take from you is your EDUCATION!

Janel

Live in the present. When we attend college, we can get so focused on future plans and possibilities. Who am I? What do I believe in? What career should I pursue? What are my passions? These questions are important, but should not be your exclusive focus. Utilize the opportunities you have right now. Looking forward can be so blinding, we can stop seeing what is all around us. Do not limit yourself to the activities that fit into your "plan." Step an inch outside of your comfort zone— you may be surprised by the outcome. Attend those events you are not sure about, take a class outside of your major, talk to people beyond your group of friends, and challenge your own beliefs with new experiences. Life does not need to be prescriptive; it can be dynamic and ever-changing. Define your path by your experiences now, rather than by the choices you make to accommodate your future.

DEANNA

If I could go back in time I would have stayed in school . Life is so hard without employable skills and no certificate or degree. Times are financially hard,and a degree can take you far in this life. Without a degree it is hard to finacially take care of my children. We often go without ,I am so embarassed that I can't take cae of my children. Christmas is especially difficult because we have no gifts ,but we do have food. I have sacrificed taking care of relatives children . In doing so I was not able to take care of my education. Now I find it almost impossible to take care of my own 2 boys. My children and I are hurting because I did not complete college before I decided to have children. It is not easy being on Welfare,or S.S.I.. My life would have been much easier for my children if I had only stayed in college as a young girl. I am proud that I went bact to school,this is my 5th semester. I need help,I can barely pay my rent at times,and my things are in thepawn shop.

Aime

I would tell myself to get two summer jobs and to stick with them leading up to college. My finances are poor due to the school's enviornment and constantly increasing tuition.

Hailey

I would definitely tell myself to calm down and stop stressing. For me, choosing a college was a huge decision that really strained my relationship with my parents. I was and still am coping with anxiety, and I really wish I had known that everything was going to work out. I would tell myself how incredible the experience is and how fun it is to be on my own. I would also encourage myself to apply for more scholarships and try a bit harder to actually do well. I didn't realize then how expensive college is and how many little things are involved in the process, especially since I live out of state and have to pay to fly home. Finally, I would tell myself to study more and try to retain more information from my high school classes. Enrolling in Calculus II as a Freshman and trying to remember the Intermediate Value Theorem is not fun, and I feel class would be a lot easier now if I hadn't been passing notes during the last few months of senior year.

vernica

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, the first thing that I would say is "you are ok, just the way you are." I would tell myself not to be intimidated by anyone's looks, money, intelligence or any other quality that I did not feel that I had, because everyone grows at their own pace, and that eventually, I would come into my own. I would tell myself to focus on my core classes during my first year and not to worry about impressing anyone. That eventually, I would realize that being a doctor was not my calling. I would also tell myself to be open to other people's lives and points of views. It is a big world and you can become better by not restricting yourself to what is normal to you. In a nutshell, I would explain to myself that college can be very challenging so, make sure that I watched what I ate, exercised, disconnected unsupportive friends and family and focused solely on campus life and getting my degree.

Desmond

Work harder to make it in this life. John Carroll was the perfect choice for me.

Carmin

Well, i actually always wanted to attend school and study to be a pharmacy tech. it was pretty hard before to start but now i just want to start and im so excited, the only thing i need is to get at least some money so my school could be paid off in full and i wouldnt have to worry about it.

Juneann

So far the I have gained many new friendships. Also I have gotten a whole new look on the world from my college experience the school is so diverse and multicultured that I have learned alot already only in a few weeks. i feel as though the education and moral values that this school teaches me will help me prepare for my future as a doctor and make me a better person.

Chanel

I have learnt to become more independent and how to live away from home. I have matured.

Charolette

I learn how to be more independent and responsable. What you put into your college education is what you get out of it. I want to also show my kids that no matter what obstacles you are faced with you can over come them. When I first entered college after high school I had my first child, my main focus at that time was to provide for her, therefore i left college to get a job. I was a child that was raised on welfare, and in the projects. I want to get my child a better look at what life had to offer her, and a different enviorment. If I had to start all over I would have stayed in college. Currently I say it not to late, therefore Im ready to complete what I started.

My college experience has been very rewarding and different. I have learned a lot, and not only about academics, but also about myself and the world around me. It showed me that anything is possible and the world is full of chances to achieve beyond anyones imagination as long as you work hard.

My college experience thus far has really helped me to findout what kind of person I truly am. When you are put in a situation where there is noone there to tell you what you should or should not do you are really able to find out what kind of person you are. Theey say the definition of character is how you act when noone is watching and I believe that is true especially in college, because noone is watching. I found out that I have a strong character and can make decisions on my own. The value of that lesson alone has made my first year of college a great experience for me. I cannot wait to see what my next three years have to offer in terms of growth and development as a person so I can become someone of exceptional character outside of college in society.

My college experience taught me how to be more independent and to find out things by myself. Throughout my high school schooling I have always had my parents are my sisters so going to college gave me the chance to find out what I could do on my own. I have also learned how to better my time management skills which helps with juggling extracurriculars, a job, classes, and homework. Responsibility is another big quality that I got out of my college experience because I have to keep job and get certain paperwork in for my programming board position. Throughout highschool the advisors usually walked you step for step but in college it is your job so you have to do it yourself. Living on campus has helped me live in a community with people I have never met before. I have made some really good friends that will probably stay friends after college. Finding a strong group of people that will help me whenever I need it or someone to just laugh with during stressful times is a great thing that makes the college experience well worth it.

Amelia

I would tell myself to get more involved in campus activities. Even though it is hard for me to step out of my box and be outgoing since I am naturally a shy person, I would have benefitted more if I would have started getting involved early. I will definitely use this information for graduate school and in the workplace in the future. Also I would tell myself to work harder. While I am not displeased with my grades because they are necessarily "bad", I know if I were to only put in slightly more effort, I could have done better. I am proving that this semester by working hard and hoping to get all As.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would aware myself of alot of bumps in the road ahead. I would make more study time and less play time. I would encourage myself to engage in more school functions and clubs that could possible make myself more well round in a variety of feilds. I would insist apon not being so late for school so much because it brings apon bad habbits for the future, for when it really matters. I would tell myself that I have one more year to bring up my grades to get into the best college I possible can the first time around and not a two years after gradution.

Katerina

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say these 3 things: Make sure you figure out financial aid awards first while choosing a school, make sure you know what you want to study is a good choice to transition into a lifestyle, and get involved - start your own club. With these three things in mind I would be able to choose a school that would have both excellence in academia as well as financial aid award benefits that match estimated need. Choosing what I would want to study and seeing myself in that future tense I would know where and with whom I'd like to associate with and create a change in that field instead of floating around for 2 years until you have to declare a major. I would do more soul searching and take interactive tests to find out my strong points before hand. Lastly I would start my own club with something I love and that the school may not have, like chess. Chess teaches the art of strategy and that what you do with your time is important. If you put effort in you get results.

Alise

If I could go back in time, there are a few pieces of advice that I would give myself. First of all, I would pay better attention in my math course because it would have greatly helped me in my college math class. In addition, I would have worked harder on my writing assignments. These papers would have been good practice for the numerous papers I have to write in college. Also, I would have told myself to get more involved right away in school. I would have liked to join the clubs and extracurricular activities right at the beginning of the semester. I probably would have had an easier time meeting new people and making connections for my future. I feel that if I would have made these choices, my first semester in college would have been a little easier for me.

Rita

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself that college is the time to really figure out what you enjoy doing. It is a time to learn how you do on your own and what pursuits in life you are passionate about. While it is always important to keep those who support you in mind, it is still your life for you to decide what you would like to pursue. Also, some of the more difficult things turn out to be the more rewarding. As we are in an economic recession, it is also very important to make practical choices. For example, perhaps you love philosophy it may be difficult to find a job with that degree. As such, be sure to pair it with a field of study that will give you a future. Most importantly, this opportunity is a gift that only happens once so be sure to climb every mountain, explore every option, and take chances (based on logic and reason).

julia

i would tell myself that no matter how fun life seemed to be without an education isnt worth it. once your old enough to understand that you couldnt get anywhere with out proper education its sometimes too late to act on it.

Robyn

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would first tell myself to charish every day you have with your high school friends now because things do change when you get into high school. I would tell myself that you are going to be feel the worst homesickness that you ever felt in the first two weeks of college, but it will all get better and in fact that homesickenss will make you a stronger and more independent person. I woudl tell myself to go out and talk to everyone you can in the orientation activites. I would also tell myself to get really close with your floormates because that is definitly your family when your in college. I would tell myself that the work load is going to be hard at first but just take a deep breath and you will get through it one assignment at a time. The most important thing I would tell myself is to keep on smiling and alwyas be true to yourself. Thank you.

Pauline

I would tell her to research more colleges in the Midwest in order to have more colleges to choose from. I had chosen John Carroll University because I felt that living in the Midwest would be an interesting change of environment for myself since I have lived in the East Coast for most of my life. I would also tell her to not take schoolwork too seriously, to study more than to devote time to homework. I have found that tests and quizzes are more important than homework for a majority of my classes.

The main advice I would give myself would be to not be so hard on yourself and just try to stay organized. When you start college you realize a whole new meaning to time managment. At John Carroll the more invovled you get, the harder it is to just put things off or to not be organized. At the same time I would also remind myself while organization, grades, and invovlment are all important, they are not worth the stress you are going to put yourself under. College is also supposed to be a fun time in your life, so do things, be busy, but do not let it ruin you. So breathe, have fun (responsiblity), and give yourself credit for what you accomplish. And believe me high school self, you will accomplish great stuff. Pray. Give yourself Tori time. Love your young life.

If I could go back to high school and give myself any advice about college there would be a few things I?d say. I would say befriend everyone because everyone has something to give. Every person that you meet will have an impact on your life. Your friends are your handpicked family so have a lot of them. Open yourself to new and exciting things but of course work hard. It?s so important to work hard in class and take the time needed to study so you can have fun later. Take every day one at a time. There are going to be some challenges but it will only make you a stronger individual. Everything truly does happen for a reason for better or worse life does go on. It?s what you do with those challenges that make you a stronger person.

Jennylee

DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD TELL MYSELF. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO DO YOUR ASSIGNMENTS WHATEVER THEY MAY BE BECAUSE YOU WILL REGRET IT. I HAVE SEEN MANY STUDENTS REGRET PUTTING IT OFF AND THEN HAVE TO SCRAMBLE TO GET THE WORK DONE. I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. TIME IS ANOTHER BIG ISSUE. LEARN HOW TO MANAGE YOUR TIME WITHOUT OVERDOING IT BECAUSE IT REALLY HELPS CUT BACK ON YOUR STRESS LEVELS AND KEEPS YOUR MIND WORKING PROPERLY. STUDYING IS ANOTHER BIGGIE. BE SURE TO STUDY 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} OF THE TIME WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN CLASS, BUT THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS STUDY THE MATERIAL JUST LEARNED RIGHT AFTER CLASS BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT BY DOING THIS, STUDENTS RETAIN MORE INFORMATION THIS WAY...I LEARNED THIS IN MY INTRO TO PSYCHOLOGY COURSE. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!!! BELIEVE ME THE PROFESSORS ARE NOT JUST GOING TO GIVE YOU AN "A", YOU HAVE TO EARN IT AND IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF WORK YO DO SO, SO DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED AND WHEN YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO EXTRA CREDIT GO FOR IT!

I would tell the high school senior version of myself to be more relaxed about the process. With such obstacles to face as time management and harder classes, as well as the social aspect of meeting new people everyday, the experience seems quite nerve wracking as you go into it. But having already gone through all of that, I would tell myself not to panic or stress and just try my best and work hard. Things have gone extremely well for me after making the huge adjustment to college life and I would explain that to myself then, as I recall being terribly worried all summer about it. I would also encourage myself to be more open with people around me during the process. I found after a little while that talking to other students and faculty made life a lot easier. Students are all pretty much going through the same thing and that is a very important thing to know: you are never alone. People, especially advisors, are very understanding about the difficulties of adjusting to a radically different lifestyle and workload unlike anything we'd ever faced ibefore. Talking to others made a large difference in my experience.

Howard

The advice I would give to myself is to simply be ready to work very hard! As my Freshman year at John Carroll came on the horizon in the fall of 2008, I had no idea that college was going to be as much work as it actually is! I have never worked harder in my entire life for my first three semesters at JCU, but it has been well worth it as I am carrying a 3.84 GPA thanks to the work I've put in at John Carroll. Based off of everything I've just said, I would tell myself back in high school to be prepared for a lot of hard work! And in order to work very hard in college, the advice I would give to myself would be to have an open mind about everything in college, and to always be on top of assignments by never procrastinating! I would finally tell msyelf to have fun, and enjoy the next four years, because no matter how stressful it may be as far as academics and keeping your grades up may be, all the hard work will be worth it in the end after graduation!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself a lot of advce. First off I would tell myself that it is important to make the right decision based on what I want to do with my life. Choosing the right school is so important. I would also tell myself that it is important to meet with the professors and get a tutor if something is not registering or making sense. They are here to help and many people do not use them as resources to do better and learn more. I would then tell myself to just be confident and belive in yourself! That is what will get you far!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are so many things I would tell myself. The first thing I would tell myself is to worry about me first, not anybody else. I would tell myself to relax more and just have fun and take it one day at a time. Worrying too much about the future will cause me to miss things in the present, that I should savor everything I have when I have it because nothing lasts forever. I would tell myself not to get to down when things don't go as planned because still nothing lasts forever, and things will get better eventually.

Joanna

Be sure to take your student to as many colleges as you can, but be sure that you only guide their choice, rather than force a school. They need to enjoy the enviornment and have the opportunity for great academics. Be open with the your student and let THEM talk, find out what they want most out of life and what type of enviornment they see themselves in (ie. big greek life, city atmosphere, big/small, etc). Allow your child to experience college while they can, but be sure they don't ruin their grades. Emphasize the importance of traveling abroad and potentially studying abroad. The influence we as Americans have on the world is important, but we need to let the world show our youth who they are, and let them appreciate what the history of the world east of us has to offer.

Don't worry about reputation or the prestige of the school. CAREFULLY choose what fits students/parents best according student's interests and where they can succeed best academically, but who can offer them the best well-rounded college experience - one where they leave with confidence in themselves academically, but have great memories to cheris - but most importantly- have matured into a more - well rounded young adult and have been given the tools to succeed in the workplace, in graduate school, and beyond - without breaking the bank!

Greg

Make sure you visit the campus numerous times and meet with students who are not paid to be hosts and guests. They will only tell you what they want you to hear and not what you need to. Get to know other students and professors before making any decissions. Also ask what plans the school is planning in the near future that may change the cost of tuition in the near future or during the time you would be attending.

evan

find the right fit for you. thats all that matters. the rest will fall into place

Don't just look at the credentials of the school but also take a look at the type of students on campus and type of students it attracts. If your looking at playing a sport in college, make sure you like the school first as a lot of students at small schools stop playing after a year or two of sports.

To parents, as a current college senior who has been through many ups and downs in my college career, I offer you the following advice. When helping your child decide, encourage him or her to choose the school where they know they will be motivated to take all the necessary steps to succeed like, showing up every morning, homework every night, and handing work in on-time. Choosing a school is difficult, but finding a school that meets the needs of a student is relatively easy as long as positive motivation is attached.

I would say to make sure you really research the schools you are looking at. Be sure to see if it matches your ideas about the types of people you want to go to school with, the overall mission of the school, and academic focus.

Make sure you visit the campus and make sure you feel really comfortable on campus. You'll be spending a lot of time there, and college becomes your home away from home, so you really want to feel safe and accepted for the person you are.

Visit as many schools as possible and try to get a feel for the area and the people that are at the schools you visit. Do not go to a school because your friends are or because you want to play a certain sport, go to a college that you like and that offers your intended major, because friends come and go and you never know what can happen to you in a sport.

Staci

Make sure you research what kind of class room atmosphere the student would be more comfortable. Also pay attention to what extra-cirricular activites they are into to make sure that they have a campus that fits them.

Go where you feel comfortable.

When it comes to finding the right college the best suggestion I can make is to look at a number of different colleges. College visits are essential, it is impossible to find the rightr college without seeing it first hand. To make the most of a college experience it is imperative to get involved in as many campus activities as possible.