John Carroll University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for John Carroll University

Alexis

I have mixed feelings about John Carroll University. First off, I truly love how small the classes are. All of my professors know my name and they have gotten to know me as a person, not just a student taking classes. Similarly, the professors at John Carroll care deeply about the success of their students; most of them are very flexible and willing to adjust to students’ needs. Additionally, they are always available during office hours to give students the help and attention that they deserve. John Carroll also offers a wide variety of academic programs from which students can choose. While all of the programs are reputable, the Boler College of Business has an even greater reputation, especially in the greater Cleveland area. Aside of academics, the religious landscape of John Carroll is particularly notable. I do not strongly practice any religion, so the emphasis on the Catholic faith can be a bit off-putting. On tours, the guides claimed that the religion was never overly pushed. My personal experience disagrees with that, however. Perhaps this is not a big deal if you are a devout Catholic, but as a non-religious person, I often feel out of place at John Carroll because of its religious landscape. Finally, I really enjoy the suburban area in which JCU is located. The historic neighborhoods are truly charming, which makes for some lovely walks around the outskirts of campus. However, if you are looking for a more traditional “college town” feel, I do not think that JCU can deliver. For me, JCU’s location is the perfect balance because it is located in a safe suburb, though it is still very close to downtown Cleveland.

Marija

I love my school! I am a commuter, and love that I can still feel a part of the community even though I don't live on campus. My professors are great and are always available, and I know that I am getting a great education from a wonderful private institution!

Gurnit

As with anything, you have to take advantage of the opportunities given. There is plenty of opportunity to join clubs, get involved on campus and attend events. Students are kept informed regularly through email alerts detailing current events on campus and general need-to-know info. Professors (in my experience) are more that willing to help if reached out to. The curriculum in general is rigorous and aimed to make us as well rounded as possible. This often means that along with core classes pertaining to one's major, other humanities classes and electives are mandatory. This is sometimes annoying because some of these courses don't always feel relevant. That being said, JCU is a good school. Employers actively seek out JCU graduates, having faith in the academic excellence that JCU prides itself in. The alumni community is also very involved in the school and are willing to help students through networking in securing internships, jobs

I love John Carroll. I think it is a beautiful place and it is very safe. I do pay a lot of money to go here though and that is pretty hard for me because I am paying for college alone, but they do provide a lot of scholarship opportunities.

Ruthie

John Carroll University is a good school. Each department has their own plus and minus; just like any other University would. Overall, I really enjoy Carroll. The cafe food is awful, but that is the only majorly bad thing that I could say about the school. The business school is amazing and their teachers are awesome. They have been in their fields for years and know what they are talking about.

will

When I started at John Carroll I was infatuated with the schools architecture, but then I met the students and they all seemed relaxed and care free. they all were easy to talk to and I think that is the reason I fell in love with John Carroll University, Not to mention the grounds creepers are awesome with a smile on their face daily.

Keegan

John Carroll is a very great school all around. I chose Carroll because the Boler School of Business is ranked top 30 nationally. I love the small atmosphere, especially when it comes to class sizes, classes can range anywhere from 5 people to 50 people at most. There are roughly 3,200 undergraduate students and competes on the NCAA Division III level. Carroll isn't a huge party school, but Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays are always a great time. Highly recommend.

Caitlin

John Carroll University is a good school that provides students with a lot of opportunities. It is extremely dedicated to service, with service sites all over Cleveland. Small class sizes lead to more personable academics. The classes are fun and engaging. The only downfalls are financial aid is not helpful and the food gets old.

Kyle

John Carroll University is a great place to go. The Boler School of Business is amazing. Besides that all the academic departments are staffed with excellent professors and they are always open for casual conversation and advise. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a small university and a great Catholic, Jesuit atmosphere.

Sean

John Carroll is such a beautiful, unique small liberal arts school in University Heights, Ohio. Since it is a small school, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved and do research etc. which is great. However, everyone knows practically everyone on campus which can be a blessing and a curse. Overall, I am so happy with my choice of being a blue streak!

Andrea

John Carroll is a wonderful university. Sure, the food and housing are not great, but the people sure are. Generally, the students here want to learn. They are engaged and the professors are superb. The Boler School of Business is very difficult, but the students who make it through are greatly rewarded in life. Great school.

John Carroll University is not just a place for its students to learn, but also a place its students call home. With a beautiful brick campus and lush green quad, JCU attracts people who can--without exception--be described as friendly. Known for holding doors and passionate involvement in service, the students of John Carroll create the homey atmosphere for themselves. Adjustment to college life couldn't be easier at JCU!

Chane

From the first time I visit John Carroll University I knew this was the place I wanted to further my education. Everyone is so welcoming. It was my weekend stay with some of the football team that sealed the deal for me. Not only did I know this was the college for me, but my mother felt the same way as I did about John Carroll.

Haley

I adored my time at John Carrol while visiting. The environment was lively and inviting. The campus was beautiful all around, inside and outside. I particularly liked that there was much to do outside of campus, but it also appeared students were extremely active in the corridors too. The staff and advisors were helpful with my endless questions after touring as well.

Kylie

The school lacks a verity of languages and priorities business fields. It is a Jesuit school, but it does not come up too often. The Office of Student Accessibility is great but the campus its self leaves a lot to be desired in disability accessibility. There were a lot of high schoolers duel enrolled there.