Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Glenn

College is one thing in life people look back on. college gives you the oppurtuity and freedom of doing things and living your own life. and also its good to go because it teaches you about independance. what I have gotten out of my college experience is that you are responsible for doing your own work, you have to be motivated everyday to come to class, and if you get help early and making that connection with your teachers can pave the way for you to graduate in the next few years. it is valuable to attend because you get the benifit of doing things you love to do and to pursue the degree you want in the major of your choice.

Natalie

To fit in at Hopkins everyone needs a little bit of nerdyness. If a student does not describe themself as a nerd in any way, (be it sciece or humanities) then they might have a harder time fitting in there. Also if they are not a somewhat competitive person or willing to push themselves they might have a harder time excelling at academic classes and getting involved in clubs.

Academically, I have boadened my horizens by taking challegeing and intriguing corses. It has made me more knowledgable , think critically, and express my self better. Besides academic knowledge, I have learned many life skills and people skills. I have learned how to be independant and selfsufficient as well as get around and live within a big urban area. I am far away from home and have had to rely on only myself for taking care of classes, to handeling illnesses, and day to day life. I have had to advocate for myself and had to take the iniative to go and see professors. The whole experience has been valuable to me because I have had to preform at a higher academic level and cope with challeging courses, as well as adapting to new environments. Further, I have met many different and intersting people and have learned to get along with them even if we do not see eye to eye on everything. I think it has been a valuable experience for me, because I have not only matured, but have developed key skills that i can continue to use later on in life.

Rose

It has a lot of opportunities and are available to anyone who is willing to step up and take them.

College was definitely a time of learning, not just academic but about all the other aspects of life that makes life so interesting and unpredictable. Not only did I get preparation for continuing my academic career but I also made some life-long friends and experienced many new things along the way. College was also an important stepping stone between high school/life at home and emergence into a true adult life. The independence at college was something exhilirating and scary at the same time. After learning to adjust to life without supervision most of the time, it makes it that much easier to continue living an independent life and become "real adults" after graduating college. College was full of ups and downs, lots of life lessons, lots of last-minute studying, and is an experience that can never be matched.

Someone who is looking for a medium-sized school, urban area. You should be self-driven and be able to balance a social life with academic stress.

During my attendance, I couldn't help but to feel like an outsider, amongst uber-competitive, attention-seeking, pushy, extremely over-achieving mass of students- all scrambling to reach some goal that was unseen by me. But I soon realized that these stand-outs weren't the majority that represented the school- once you get past the obnoxious, pretentious, pushy facade of the school, there is a massive underlying heart of students that are truly caring, hard-working, and making huge differences in the world, without making that loud bang and pop. These are the true leaders of our generation.

JHU is best known for its science, writing, international relations programs, and is very well endowed in research related to the medical field. Though to many, it is known as a school for brainiacs and high-strung pretentious private school brats (and many times it is), JHU was the place where I learned about acapella, my love of sneaking into off-limits high towers, how to speak your mind, how to dig deep for answers, and how to rely on peers and mentors for help, even when my ego didn't allow me to. It was my fodder for growth.

College was not what I expected, and I am not where I expected to be once I graduated. But one thing I learned is that college is an oasis of resources and if you're truly smart, you'll learn to drink as much from it during your time there. College is that bubble of support- financial, academic, and otherwise- that you will have a hard time finding once you're out in society on your own. It taught me to jump on an opportunity, and not waste time by dawdling for a better option, when you might not get it later. When you're crossing a desert, it's not smart to stand around with your arms crossed, saying you'll wait for the next oasis which might have cooler water. You have to learn to drink when you can, and take what you can for the long-run... College does have all the hand-holding you need to get through, but if you're truly looking for that passion, that long term satisfaction, you learn to step it up and become the decision making adult you need to be to get farther.

Julia

Dear High School Self, You?ve been accepted to college! But where to go from here? I can help. First, don?t be afraid to leave home five thousand miles behind. Your family?s just a phone call away. Next, since you have this amazing opportunity, take advantage of everything! Apply for research positions as a freshman; you?ll be surprised by the results. Don?t forget to explore the surrounding city: Baltimore has excellent seafood restaurants. High school has prepared you well for the academics. Know your weaknesses and plan ahead, accounting for procrastination. Meet people! Here, your friends basically become family. You?ll make new memories: whether it?s going to watch a meteor shower at 4am, having your first snowball fight, or preparing a Thanksgiving feast (turkey stuffing from scratch included!) Don?t ever feel pressured to do anything. You can have fun at a party without drinking and get high on happiness itself. So you still want to join Doctors Without Borders and take on the weaknesses of the health system? College is the stepping stone. You won?t have a lot of time to look back because many changes are coming ahead! Love, Future Julia

I wish that I had known not to listen to the stereotypes and negative comments often found on the internet about every college. Mine was stereotyped as a place where everyone would be willing to sabotage others to get ahead, but that is far from true! I'm glad I didn't indulge these rumors too much and let them affect my decision heavily.

This year, the freshman class was definitely overenrolled over capacity. While the school did try its best to accomodate everyone, there are still quite a few examples of stressful living situations (forced triples in very small rooms.)

An excellent pre-professional advising department that sends out wonderful reminder emails and updates.

Think about it hard. Make sure you consider everything; look at the city, at the extracurriculars, the teachers, the campus. A student needs the right combination of all these things to get the most out of their college years.

There isn't that much opportunity to really get to know your instructors.

Victoria

My classmates are diverse in every aspect: ethnicity, personality, studiousness, major, interests, and others - that means there's a friend by my side for whatever mood I'm in, and it gives campus life flavor and keeps things interesting.

I've always known that college would be a time of great transitions. All through high school, I worried about how I would handle those changes. Would I be able to successfully balance fun and studying? Would I be tempted to drink or do drugs? How competitive was the school environment REALLY (not that "all our students are equally brilliant!" speech they give on campus tours)? If I could talk to the seventeen-year-old-me, I would reassure her: you'll be fine. Your parents have brought you up to make the right decisions, and you're not as naive as you're afraid you are. Your study habits are not the worst, and you'll make plenty of friends. There's a reason you've been accepted here, and it's because this school thinks you belong and thinks you can handle the pressure. You're supposed to make mistakes, just like you're supposed to grow from them. You won't come out of college unchanged, but you WILL make it out unscathed. So don't sweat it, enjoy senior year, and have confidence in yourself. You know what you're doing.

I wish I had known that I'd be alright: it would have relieved so much worry!

Keyana

To put it in simple terms, and to be brief as 100-words...if y ou are lazy then this university is not for you..well not any university is for you. if you enjoy procrastinating, slacking off, partying replaces studying in your vocabulary...then Johns Hopkins University is not the school for you.

Johns Hopkin University allows Freshmen students the 'luxury' of covered grades the first semester, however, this hurts the students more than it helps them. Students begin to think that it is ok to slack off, procrastinate, and not manage their time because 'grades really do not matter'. But it is frustrating to get back on track for the next semester when you have been given a great luxury that teached you nasty habits.

Dear Keyana, I have ventured into the future and seen all the obstacles that may drop into your path. This is a letter to help you prepare and teach you how to conquer those stumbling blocks. First off, covered grades do not mean grades do not matter, because they very much do. You need to stay concentrated on school and your goals at hand. Secondly, and I'm telling you this because I've seen the future and I want you to succeed, dont let your social life become a priority over school and your goals. You are an intelligent young lady, but goals are much more important than having fun. And oh, talk to all your professors; they know what they expect on exams and work, you dont. Manage your time better, and no procrastination, IT NEVER WORKS!!!. You will succeed, Keyana from the future

Hey Steph! I know you've been having a rough year but I'm here to help make the next one great. I've finished one semester (you're going to be a Hopkins Blue Jay!) and I have lots to tell you. First, you are going to be one of the only commuters. It'll be difficult in the beginning but you'll adjust quickly - your friends and family will always support you; just because you don't live on campus doesn't mean you can't bring the fun of school to you. Second, go out of your way to meet new people - teachers and peers. They want to make your college experience great, you just have to let them. Finally, don't let your differences discourage you or lower your self-image. Instead, embrace what makes you unique, like living at home with a mom who makes great dinners that your friends will love (especially compared to the cafeteria food), your childlike curiosity, and your passion for the elderly. All of these qualities will help you explore the myriad of opportunities at your fingertips and prepare you for your future. Enjoy senior year - see you again soon!

The worst thing about my school is that they assume all incoming freshman are going to live on campus. I had to formally request to be a commuter who would live at home with my family. There aren't that many programs or activities geared toward commuter students, making it much more difficult to get involved in extracurricular activities.

I wish I had known that there are hardly any freshman commuters and that unless the first semester teachers aren't the greatest as intro classes are huge. This makes it difficult to ever know your teachers on a more one on one basis or even clarify confusing information.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.