Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Abigail

Might not be the best choice for a student looking for a college with a big social scene

Armed with the experience of my first semester at college, I would love to visit the high school version of myself and give to her the understanding I have gained about education as a whole. The strength of academic achievement doesn't lie in the difference between an A and an A+, but rather in the connections you can make between the subject matter, your life, and the world around you. So, I would encourage the high school senior "me" not to focus on the perfection of a worksheet, but rather become inspired by the infinite possibilities that are available, even before college, to expand your mind.

The professors and the selection of interesting courses. I like the small campus and how easy it is to get to classes and activities

Rita

Private university with a small-world atmosphere conducive to making friends, high academic standards, and diverse extracurricular activities.

Take it easy academically the first semester, especially if it's pass/fail, but then start studying hard in sophomore, junior, and senior years. It's not a good idea skipping section classes just because it's too early in the morning and the class seems easy, as the professor can be tricky on exams. Have fun making as many friends as possible for social connection and social networking purposes, but don't pursue significant others just because of loneliness. Wait until senior year, at least. Find good internships starting in the summer of sophomore year to help your future career opportunities. Take one language in freshman year and stick with it , either Spanish or Chinese possibly. Ask questions during professors' office hours whenever you don't understand something or visit the TA often because they are really helpful. Don't just take easy classes to get an A but take at least one challenging class each semester. Try to participate in outdoors events like mountain climbing or biking to meet new people and have fun. Find a good Bible study group to keep your faith fresh and alive. Learn to work well with others for studying and having fun.

Someone who isn't at least somewhat serious about academics.

Tara

Keeping up with all of your schoolwork and commitments to other activities. It is easy to not get involved, but it is even easier to get overinvolved.

There are many opportunitites available to Hopkins students while they are current students and even after they graduate.

Knowing what I know now, if I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to worry and that in college I am happy. I would tell myself I have no regrets about the school I chose to attend and that I have made friends with a diverse, talented, and amazing group of people. My knowledge of the transition to college life would prompt me to stress not being afraid to take the initiative to invite a new friend to grab lunch between classes or strike up a conversation with someone sitting nearby. I would tell myself not to worry about the future too much. It is easy to be overwhelmed by the inundation of new information in the first few weeks and intimidated by some of the other students, but it is important to keep the focus on yourself and your own growth as a person. By the end of your first year of college you will look back on the person you were at the start and see how much you have grown for the better since you first unpacked all of your belongings into your dorm room.

Eugene

The high academic standards and the intensity by which students pursue academics makes the environment seem competetive at times, though never cutthroat. This definitely hinders social life, and can make a student's life very stressful.

Trust yourself and your abilities. You will come in uncertain of your standing amongst your peers, especially coming out of a small high school in Idaho, you will quickly realize that you do not have the same credentials as those coming out of highly renown high schools in New York City or California. Everyone will have an adjustment period, so as long as you keep up, you will be on the same playing field as everyone else, and you can do well under those conditions. Make sure to make friends during your first semester while grades are covered, this is not only important for making study groups, but vital when considering the limited social-life available on campus. Finally, diversify yourself. The grades will come and you will be able to do fine, rather than over-stressing yourself over your grades, look to involve yourself in either research, doctor-shadowing, and clubs that will give you a reprieve from the intense academic gauntlet which faces you in the near future.

The lack of a student union. Although the administration acknowledges the lack of social hang-outs on campus, and although they are trying to improve that, there is still no good place on campus for students to hang out. The lone TV lounge on campus (not located in a dorm) was converted to a study lounge. Although the new renovated buildings should have more lounges, it is yet to be seen if this will come to fruition.

Marla

As a high-school senior who was obsessed with Pennsylvania State University, I was convinced that my life was laid out for me. I was accepted in November, my boyfriend was a freshman there, and I was head-over heels in love with him. I had applied to other schools, but I strategically applied to schools comparable to PSU, and schools which were extreme reaches. Everything seemed right, and I thought that nothing would come in the way of my happily-ever-after. Then, I was accepted to Johns Hopkins University in February. Suddenly, reality came crashing down on me. What should I do? Should I compromise my romantic interests in hopes of a promising career further down the line? Would I be happy among the over-achieving students at Hopkins? I wish I could have saved myself countless sleepless nights pondering these thoughts. If I could go back in time knowning what I do now, I would tell that lovestruck girl that she finds happiness in Hopkins. A boy is never worth compromising one's future. She will find the best of friends there, and she fits right in among the students. If I had only known then...

In high school, I went to a public school which centered on nothing but sports. The majority of its attendees were shallow athletes who knew their alphabet and how to count to ten, and not much more. When I came to Hopkins, I was blown away at the fact that theses people actually had brains in their heads, and I could have legitimate, intellectual conversations. I had never in my life been able to have such amazing conversations with people my own age.

When I tell my friends about Hopkins, I mostly brag about the campus and city. Hopkins has a gorgeous campus which is almost entirely made of brick and marble. Baltimore, while known to be dangerous, is an upbeat, exciting city. There is always something to do, from spending time shopping in the Inner Harbor to the aquarium, not to mention the wide array of fraternity parties offered on the weekends. Basically, there is always something to do.

Alexa

Johns Hopkins is traditionally associated with producing good doctors, as it has a good educational system. For example, Dr. Gregory House from the television show House was said to have went to this school.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice for the future I would say that no school will be perfect for you. Don't expect to go there and be happier than you were back home with your friends and family, even though you can barely tolerate living at home. Yes, you will make new friends and they will feel the same pain as you but just try to concentrate on school work and eventually you will get a vacation. Also, do your absolute best to make sure you don't get sick. It's not like high school, it won't help you at all. The best to do that is to get eight hours of sleep each night. Furthermore, being an engineer is incredibly trying and difficult. You will need to work at least 40 hours a week and somehow there manages to not be enough time in a day, so you really cannot procrastinate. This means taking multiple days to study for an upcoming exam because going to extra-help (which you will need) and doing extra problems takes a long time. Although college life is different, you will get used to it.

The most frustrating thing about attending Johns Hopkins is the community that it's located in. Baltimore has a high crime rate. I'm not afraid on campus but even walking a few blocks over can be scary. I prefer not to really go anywhere because of this.

Kevin

My school is academically focused with little school pride.

My school is academically focused with little school pride.

A person should not attend this school who does not plan on working hard. This school is very cut-throat and very stressful.

The most important days of college at the first three days. Within these three days, you will meet most of your friends and make connections that may last a life time. In these first few days I would recommend meeting as many new people as possible. It is much easier to start conversations and find new students with an array of different interests in these first few days. Once the first week of classes start, you stick with the few bonds you have made and may ulitmately have limited yourself to number of friendships that could have formed.

Claire

Hopkins is unique from other schools with similar academic reputations because there is very little competition between students for grades. Everyone is very willing to assist others with understanding material, and the atmosphere on campus is one of intense learning but also of cooperation.

Get ready for the transition to college - it's a crazy one. You're about to be thrust into a brand new world, full of people you haven't met and places you've yet to explore. Give yourself time to get into the swing of things, and don't be too disappointed by grades lower than you're used to - there is almost guaranteed to be a curve by the end of the semester. Seek help if you don't know what's going on, and study the material you cover regularly - you WILL NOT be able to learn it all the night before a test (believe me). On a different note, don't go into college looking for a boy. If you focus on yourself, and make sure you are enjoying yourself even through the craziness that is class, the right boy will find you. If you're focused on finding a boy, you're almost certain to feel less comfortable in your own skin, and that confidence you're lacking is what the men are attracted to. Love yourself, and don't forget to study!

Hopkins is not a place for the faint-of-heart or unfocused. Anyone planning on attending JHU must be prepared to study full-time, and work very hard for Bs. In general, however, any type of person can find a group to join and feel welcomed by at Hopkins - you see all kinds of people when walking around campus, and everyone is very friendly and welcoming (we are, after all, connected by our nerdiness).

Andrew

I wish I had known that the workload would be as heavy as it is. I work harder in college than I did in high school. I have adjusted to the increased workload but it took a semester to get used to.

The academic environment here is great. I can take a wide range of classes and I know that the quality of each of those classes will be great. I also know that I can pursue any academic endeavor and that there will be faculty and students that are willing to discuss the subject with me. Almost everyone I have encountered here takes pride in being intellectual.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself two things. First I would tell myself to try out for the men's varsity soccer team. I regret not trying to make the team here after playing soccer since I was four years old. I believe that being on the soccer team would have allowed me to meet a completely different part of the student body. Also, it would have forced me to stay in shape which is something that I think is important for students who get bogged down with a heavy workload. The second thing that I would tell myself to do would be to apply to private scholarships. Finding private scholarships can be difficult but the potential payoff is great. I did not apply to any private scholarships before or during freshman year and I have regretted not giving myself the chance to earn any. Besides, nothing can make a students' parents more happy than help paying for their college education.

Alexandra

My school is a social mecca; jocks, nerd, poets, hipsters, indiepunk all are able to sit down and talk. It feels like its one hundred percent okay to be who you are here because everyone is so intellegent and able to accept people who are different and value their unique perspective.

If I traveled back in time to talk to myself without the fear that I would destroy the space-time continuum and shatter the fabric of reality, oh goodness, would I have advice for myself! First off, give Mom a hug. She?ll miss you and she made everything possible. That?s right, soon you?re going to sound this preachy; I?m your ghost-of-schoolings-yet-to-come. Appreciate Mom and her dinners, because (believe-it-or-not) you'll miss them. Learn to be a little independent! Do some laundry! You?ll be sorry when you?re clueless whether gray goes in the color or non-color wash. Also, learn how to study. Just wait?you?ll wish you had studying down to a science. I don?t mean study all the time (have fun kid!); I just mean practice the habits your teachers taught (in case you were wondering, they do know more than you). Finally, stop worrying so much! Your SAT scores aren?t the end of the world. You?re at your dream school and guess what? It?s better than you imagined. And you?re still around to give yourself some advice, mahalo.

The worst thing about my school is that even though we are located in a very diverse city the campus isn't all that diverse. It has a great asain american and Indian american population as well as many exchange students from Europe but there is a very limited number of African Americans and Latino Americans. The school would benifit from having a more diverse student population.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.