Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Ryan

JHU has a gorgeous campus. The buildings are brick and beautiful and the foliage looks beautiful, even in the winter. People are usually impressed that I go to Hopkins (even though they normally assume I mean that I'm in the med school...). I spend most of my hanging out time at Hillel, where I am actively involved (Jewish group on campus). A lot of people hang out in the library, I'm not kidding. Hopkins is really nerdy.

Hopkins is a pretty WASPy campus. I went to New York for a weekend, visiting friends at NYU and Rutgers, and then came back to Hopkins, and it struck me how the student bodies had very different looks. Hopkins is definitely preppy, and people care how they look. There aren't that many black students on campus, and they seem to stick together. There are a lot of Asians, and more Asians than you would think who are actually immigrants. Students seem pretty wealthy to me, but compared to other top 15 universities, Hopkins gives pretty good financial aid, so the student body is probably not as wealthy as that of the other schools. The student body is pretty liberal, but 1. lazy, and too focused on doing well in school to really focus on anything else 2. I think it's a much more conservative campus than others I've visited.

At the end of my freshman year, I was thisclose to transferring, but I decided not to, and I'm really happy I didn't. I wanted to leave because I hadn't made such good friends, and I missed my friends in New York, and I figured I could get more out of a different school. In the end, I decided the amazing academic environment here wasn't worth leaving, and I didn't transfer, and it was a great decision.

To a certain extent. It depends on the major. The science kids are much more cutthroat and competitive. And there are a lot of socially awkward, nerdy kids on campus.

Classes are amazing. There is no core, and the requirements really aren't bad. Besides for major/minor requirements, you have to take 12 credits of science-y stuff and 12 credits of W (writing intensive) classes. My favorite class so far has been History of Africa from 1800 to Present. Dr. Sara Berry is amazing. In general, I've found that in the humanities, people are taking classes for the sake of learning, not for the career, which I definitely agree with.

Lacrosse is really big here, though I haven't been to a single game. I met my good friends through Hillel- the best way to make friends is to join activities. Fraternities are sororities are really big. Because Hopkins is not the most social campus, the way many people make friends is putting themselves in social groups to meet people. Baltimore has a pretty solid music scene, so a lot of people go to concerts on the weekend. The Baltimore Inner Harbor is also gorgeous.

People think we're all huge nerds, really competitive and studious, and spend all of our time in the library.

Kelly

You get out of it what you put into it, pick a school that you will feel most comfortable at. Challange yourself so you don't get bored, but only take on what you can.

That 70% of my time outside of class would be working on school work (or sleeping)

That it is so research oriented. Sometimes it is obviously that the professors are there for their research and don't really care about teaching. This happens less and less as professors teach courses related to their research, i.e. this happens most in general intro courses.

ashley

Tough academically, professors expect the best, very demanding and competitive in the classroom.

As a recruited student athlete, I was given this amazing opportunity because the coach believed I could bring discipline and focus to the team. I thought college would be easy since I aced everything in high school, but I found out quickly how demanding an institution like Hopkins is. Expect the first year to be difficult both academically and psychologically. Do not be afraid to ask for help. Do get involved and try new things. Clubs and sports are a great way to meet new people that can help you along the way. Understand that it requires excellent time management skills and do not put your school work off. The most important factor to remember in your college experience is that it lasts a very short time so make the most of it and enjoy yourself. Take classes that interest you, surprisingly you'll do better in them. The major does matter in some fields, but more importantly it is grades and fulfilling yourself as a person. Be realistic in what you hope to accomplish and wake up everyday and tell yourself just how lucky you are to be given the opportunity you have before you!

Knowing it is a highly regarded academic institution yet small enough to get individual attention.

chris

social desert. high pressure. academically overwhelming. nothing to do, nowhere to go, no one to go with. The pressure to study is so high here that no one ever does anything else but study. seriously. No memorable spring break trips, no fun trip to new york. The most that ever happens is friday or saturday night (choose one) at a club or so, but even that is rare (few times a year, if that). otherwise, top tier education, a high profile name that'll get you anywhere, and a small cozy campus.

having fun is the problem for students to solve. having a opportunity at a job later is the problem for parents to solve (by getting their kids into school)

(copied from above) social desert. high pressure. academically overwhelming. nothing to do, nowhere to go, no one to go with. The pressure to study is so high here that no one ever does anything else but study. seriously. No memorable spring break trips, no fun trip to new york. The most that ever happens is friday or saturday night (choose one) at a club or so, but even that is rare (few times a year, if that).

Take the time to go to the school and visit. Walk around campus, check out the library, walk into a lecture hall, visit a dorm, etc. Do you research as a family and pick the school that best suits the student!

Diversity, professors, challenging

Connie

As a rule, they are intense. Everyone wants to do well, and there is a huge pre-med contingency on campus, who tend to be a bit more cutthroat than everyone else. For the most part it's not too extreme (no one tries to sabotoge each other's notes), but classmates can be a little bit less than eager to help if you're in the same class.

Don't stress out about it! One thing I've learned in college is that for the most part I don't think it matters where you go! I'm happy at the school I'm attending now, but I'm sure I'd be happy at almost all of the schools I applied to. You'll find a group of people you get along with at probably any school--it just might take some time. Extra curriculars abound at most schools, and again most places offer a wide variety of classes. Pick your school with some care--but don't stress out about it; it's not like there is only one perfect school.

If you don't want to work--don't come to Hopkins. The classes are difficult, but it is possible to do well in them--but sometimes you have to sacrifice weekend plans in order to do so.

Katie

A research university with strong but limited humanties program, and an excellent program for biological sciences.

Don't be limited by rankings or the most "prestigious schools" - it's all about marketing, and the applicant has to look past the marketing and choose a school that is right for them.

The student body is majorly concentrated in the sciences and business. Earth and environmental science courses are limited, and liberal art students are required to take 12 credits of science or math, which is difficult to do because of the difficulty of all the science and math courses. The Humanities and history departments are strong, but small with limited course selections.

Joshua

My classmates are all driven and each one has a unique depth.

My classmates are all driven and each one has a unique depth.

You really have to visit a school, attend some classes, eat some food, and talk to some students to get a feel for the environment. Don't do any superficial investigation.

It is more competitive than I thought it would be, in a friendly way though. Students help each other study and are never cut-throat, but when it comes down to it, I am in a class with 100 other BME's who all got crazy SAT scores like I did (2290), and the class is graded completely on a distribution. Only a certain number of A's are being handed out and you have to really work for it.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.