Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Connie

As a rule, they are intense. Everyone wants to do well, and there is a huge pre-med contingency on campus, who tend to be a bit more cutthroat than everyone else. For the most part it's not too extreme (no one tries to sabotoge each other's notes), but classmates can be a little bit less than eager to help if you're in the same class.

Don't stress out about it! One thing I've learned in college is that for the most part I don't think it matters where you go! I'm happy at the school I'm attending now, but I'm sure I'd be happy at almost all of the schools I applied to. You'll find a group of people you get along with at probably any school--it just might take some time. Extra curriculars abound at most schools, and again most places offer a wide variety of classes. Pick your school with some care--but don't stress out about it; it's not like there is only one perfect school.

If you don't want to work--don't come to Hopkins. The classes are difficult, but it is possible to do well in them--but sometimes you have to sacrifice weekend plans in order to do so.

Katie

A research university with strong but limited humanties program, and an excellent program for biological sciences.

Don't be limited by rankings or the most "prestigious schools" - it's all about marketing, and the applicant has to look past the marketing and choose a school that is right for them.

The student body is majorly concentrated in the sciences and business. Earth and environmental science courses are limited, and liberal art students are required to take 12 credits of science or math, which is difficult to do because of the difficulty of all the science and math courses. The Humanities and history departments are strong, but small with limited course selections.

Joshua

My classmates are all driven and each one has a unique depth.

My classmates are all driven and each one has a unique depth.

You really have to visit a school, attend some classes, eat some food, and talk to some students to get a feel for the environment. Don't do any superficial investigation.

It is more competitive than I thought it would be, in a friendly way though. Students help each other study and are never cut-throat, but when it comes down to it, I am in a class with 100 other BME's who all got crazy SAT scores like I did (2290), and the class is graded completely on a distribution. Only a certain number of A's are being handed out and you have to really work for it.

Abby

Hopkins has a reputation academically yet still has a good social side to fit you if you find it. Sports are also good, and it has great proximity to DC.

An overnight visit at a college is a good idea if they offer it; you'll get to see what kind of students go there firsthand and if you would fit in, and having friends is really important--you'll get a good education wherever you go.

Someone who is dedicated to his or her studies and truly wants to learn as much as possible about whatever it is that interests them--there is a lot of opportunity available, especially given our reputation.

I am intending on going into the medical field. In high school I got really good grades and participated in a lot of extracurricular activities and my parents had saved up a significant amount of money for my education, so i could pretty much go to any school I wanted. I talked to many people in the medical profession (from those who went to ivy league colleges to those who went to community colleges) and they all told me the same thing; it matters less what school you go to and more how much effort you put into your education. Although everyone i talked to said the same thing, for some reason i didnt believe them and thought that i had to go to the best of the best schools. I applied to some top-notch schools, and some that werent well known, but that i wanted to go to. in the end i decided on going to a well known school hoping the name alone would advance my career, but i do regret it sometimes. I love my school, but sometimes i think i would have been happier in a more laid back enviornment that catered to my needs.

Most of the professors in the science and engineering departments only teach because they have to to get their research grants, so they really aren't interested in the success of the students. The school is also very clique-y. there is very little focus on the arts, and a lot of people that go to JHU are pretty stuck up.

This school is for very acedemically driven people. A lot of the people here have a hard time making friends, though, because most were homeschooled or went to private school, so if you want to have a social life, you have to put some effort into it. JHU provides some amazing opportunities, but you have to be motivated enough to search them out and follow through with them.

Joy

Sometimes I felt like I'd never find the perfect school for me, but then I realized that when searching for schools, one must learn what you can work with and what you should not compromise. If you know that you work well with a smaller crowd, choose a smaller school, in a smaller city, with less distractions. If you know that you work better in a larger, people friendly environment, then go to a bigger school. Also, just because you might go to a community college, doesn't mean that your education is worth less than anyone elses'. People have graduated from local colleges and have moved on to be great men and women. Use the resources that your college has to offer. If you know that your writing isn't the best, go see the writing tutor. Don't be afraid to speak up to the professor after class for help, or to form a study group with friends. The worst mistake that you can make is to not ask what you think may be a dumb question. No question should be left unanswered. Never stop at the word no, keep striving for what you want.

I go to the music school of Johns Hopkins which is the Peabody Institute of Music. I would say that the worst thing is the fact that I only have the option of hanging out with musicians because of how far away the campus is from the homewood campus. I feel like I am forced to only hang out with musicians and that I am not really able to surround myself with people who are talented in all sorts of areas. I feel left out a lot of the time from having a real college experience.

I like the fact that as we are meeting new people each day, we are networking. These are the people that might get us that job or that big break that we will be looking forward to in the future. And they also may be working with us in the future. It is a very small sort of family environment which can be nice at times and you also never feel like no one knows who you are. Everyone knows who you are, so there should be no reason to be ignored.

Anjali

The campus is great and the academics are top notch

Focus on the program that you are interested in, not necessarily the school.

Johns Hopkins is a unique, beautiful school, where I feel students truly experience college academically and socially, where they are challenged in and out of the classroom, being surrounded by people from all different backgrounds, which give students a real well rounded education.

Finding the right college isn't about going to a college that has the best reputation or is a big name, it is about finding a college that works academically and socially. Before looking at college, try to figure out what sort of characteristics are best for you- small vs. big school, school spirit important or not, greek life, etc. Once you decide, it will be a lot easier to narrow down choices. VISIT VISIT VISIT schools is truly the best way. Walking around campus, you will be able to picture yourself at a certain college or not. Visiting is the only true way to know if the college is right for you, you can't rely on what other people say because what is important to you may not be important to someone else. If it is the right fit for you, you will feel it by the end of your visit. I did- I visited my school when I was 15 and I knew at that moment, that was the place for me. I applied Early Decision and here I am at my first choice happier than ever, enjoying everyday more and more.

I wish I knew more about the classes and majors offered.

Millicent

lacrosse, preparing students for graduate of future endeavors, hardcore, competitive,

Parents support your child and be there to remind them not to panic or be afraid of college. Try not to impose your opinions, listen and make suggestions. Parents talk with your kids and really understand what they think they might want to pursue. There are so many resources out there, so use it to your advantage and try to find schools that will best fit your child. Also, take time out to go visit the schools just to make sure the atmosphere is right for your child. For students, remember that you should be afraid of moving on to a different stage in life. It might seem scary, or difficult, or the process might seem to take a long time, but remember there are many rewards when you have a college degree and you might not see or know what it is until after you graduate or maybe even sometime after that. Remember its going to be your school, so choose the one that will benefit and fit you the most, not what will fit someone else. Remember for those couple of years, you are only those ages once, so make sure you enjoy life during that time also.

not enough diversity, no school spirit except for lacrosse, not enough on campus housing for upperclassman, not enough places for students to get lunch,

Big School, small school, average class size, who knows what it all means as an applicant? I had no idea how any of that mattered when I applied to schools. I applied close to home, but not too close, and that was my stipulation. Maybe you'll get involved in the paper, maybe you'll play basketball everyday, who knows? College is going to change the way you think: not as in politically or socially, but how you think. If you're willing to open up your mind and accept that college is a great tool conceived to produce adults, you will succeed. You have to work hard for your own sake. You need to take care of business on your own terms. It is this limbo, where you get to stretch your legs of adulthood without really worrying about things like supporting others, that truly make a college experience. You will enjoy yourself. I didn't get into my first choice, and you might not either, but every twist has been a lesson, and it will be those adversities and how you deal with them, which provide your true college education.

A proactive person should attend hopkins. You have to love yourself and love what you're doing, whether or not you know what either is yet. You will work hard, but the key is to do things that you enjoy, so a ten page paper is a chance to show off your skills, not just a drag. Hopkins breeds success, likely because it is difficult at times. It has made me a better person, and it can make you a better person, it you're willing to be open.

I wish I had known that everyone, everywhere has trouble fitting in at school, especially during the first few weeks. Good friends aren't in the picture, and you're petrified and/or depressed. This applies to all schools, and most people. I was able to harness my individuality and push for a change in the mindset of the average hopkins student. This advice is for all freshmen, not only hopkins'.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.