Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Abby

Hopkins has a reputation academically yet still has a good social side to fit you if you find it. Sports are also good, and it has great proximity to DC.

An overnight visit at a college is a good idea if they offer it; you'll get to see what kind of students go there firsthand and if you would fit in, and having friends is really important--you'll get a good education wherever you go.

Someone who is dedicated to his or her studies and truly wants to learn as much as possible about whatever it is that interests them--there is a lot of opportunity available, especially given our reputation.

I am intending on going into the medical field. In high school I got really good grades and participated in a lot of extracurricular activities and my parents had saved up a significant amount of money for my education, so i could pretty much go to any school I wanted. I talked to many people in the medical profession (from those who went to ivy league colleges to those who went to community colleges) and they all told me the same thing; it matters less what school you go to and more how much effort you put into your education. Although everyone i talked to said the same thing, for some reason i didnt believe them and thought that i had to go to the best of the best schools. I applied to some top-notch schools, and some that werent well known, but that i wanted to go to. in the end i decided on going to a well known school hoping the name alone would advance my career, but i do regret it sometimes. I love my school, but sometimes i think i would have been happier in a more laid back enviornment that catered to my needs.

Most of the professors in the science and engineering departments only teach because they have to to get their research grants, so they really aren't interested in the success of the students. The school is also very clique-y. there is very little focus on the arts, and a lot of people that go to JHU are pretty stuck up.

This school is for very acedemically driven people. A lot of the people here have a hard time making friends, though, because most were homeschooled or went to private school, so if you want to have a social life, you have to put some effort into it. JHU provides some amazing opportunities, but you have to be motivated enough to search them out and follow through with them.

Joy

Sometimes I felt like I'd never find the perfect school for me, but then I realized that when searching for schools, one must learn what you can work with and what you should not compromise. If you know that you work well with a smaller crowd, choose a smaller school, in a smaller city, with less distractions. If you know that you work better in a larger, people friendly environment, then go to a bigger school. Also, just because you might go to a community college, doesn't mean that your education is worth less than anyone elses'. People have graduated from local colleges and have moved on to be great men and women. Use the resources that your college has to offer. If you know that your writing isn't the best, go see the writing tutor. Don't be afraid to speak up to the professor after class for help, or to form a study group with friends. The worst mistake that you can make is to not ask what you think may be a dumb question. No question should be left unanswered. Never stop at the word no, keep striving for what you want.

I go to the music school of Johns Hopkins which is the Peabody Institute of Music. I would say that the worst thing is the fact that I only have the option of hanging out with musicians because of how far away the campus is from the homewood campus. I feel like I am forced to only hang out with musicians and that I am not really able to surround myself with people who are talented in all sorts of areas. I feel left out a lot of the time from having a real college experience.

I like the fact that as we are meeting new people each day, we are networking. These are the people that might get us that job or that big break that we will be looking forward to in the future. And they also may be working with us in the future. It is a very small sort of family environment which can be nice at times and you also never feel like no one knows who you are. Everyone knows who you are, so there should be no reason to be ignored.

Anjali

The campus is great and the academics are top notch

Focus on the program that you are interested in, not necessarily the school.

Johns Hopkins is a unique, beautiful school, where I feel students truly experience college academically and socially, where they are challenged in and out of the classroom, being surrounded by people from all different backgrounds, which give students a real well rounded education.

Finding the right college isn't about going to a college that has the best reputation or is a big name, it is about finding a college that works academically and socially. Before looking at college, try to figure out what sort of characteristics are best for you- small vs. big school, school spirit important or not, greek life, etc. Once you decide, it will be a lot easier to narrow down choices. VISIT VISIT VISIT schools is truly the best way. Walking around campus, you will be able to picture yourself at a certain college or not. Visiting is the only true way to know if the college is right for you, you can't rely on what other people say because what is important to you may not be important to someone else. If it is the right fit for you, you will feel it by the end of your visit. I did- I visited my school when I was 15 and I knew at that moment, that was the place for me. I applied Early Decision and here I am at my first choice happier than ever, enjoying everyday more and more.

I wish I knew more about the classes and majors offered.

Millicent

lacrosse, preparing students for graduate of future endeavors, hardcore, competitive,

Parents support your child and be there to remind them not to panic or be afraid of college. Try not to impose your opinions, listen and make suggestions. Parents talk with your kids and really understand what they think they might want to pursue. There are so many resources out there, so use it to your advantage and try to find schools that will best fit your child. Also, take time out to go visit the schools just to make sure the atmosphere is right for your child. For students, remember that you should be afraid of moving on to a different stage in life. It might seem scary, or difficult, or the process might seem to take a long time, but remember there are many rewards when you have a college degree and you might not see or know what it is until after you graduate or maybe even sometime after that. Remember its going to be your school, so choose the one that will benefit and fit you the most, not what will fit someone else. Remember for those couple of years, you are only those ages once, so make sure you enjoy life during that time also.

not enough diversity, no school spirit except for lacrosse, not enough on campus housing for upperclassman, not enough places for students to get lunch,

Big School, small school, average class size, who knows what it all means as an applicant? I had no idea how any of that mattered when I applied to schools. I applied close to home, but not too close, and that was my stipulation. Maybe you'll get involved in the paper, maybe you'll play basketball everyday, who knows? College is going to change the way you think: not as in politically or socially, but how you think. If you're willing to open up your mind and accept that college is a great tool conceived to produce adults, you will succeed. You have to work hard for your own sake. You need to take care of business on your own terms. It is this limbo, where you get to stretch your legs of adulthood without really worrying about things like supporting others, that truly make a college experience. You will enjoy yourself. I didn't get into my first choice, and you might not either, but every twist has been a lesson, and it will be those adversities and how you deal with them, which provide your true college education.

A proactive person should attend hopkins. You have to love yourself and love what you're doing, whether or not you know what either is yet. You will work hard, but the key is to do things that you enjoy, so a ten page paper is a chance to show off your skills, not just a drag. Hopkins breeds success, likely because it is difficult at times. It has made me a better person, and it can make you a better person, it you're willing to be open.

I wish I had known that everyone, everywhere has trouble fitting in at school, especially during the first few weeks. Good friends aren't in the picture, and you're petrified and/or depressed. This applies to all schools, and most people. I was able to harness my individuality and push for a change in the mindset of the average hopkins student. This advice is for all freshmen, not only hopkins'.

Brandon

I would recommend that students look through college brochures with the parents so everyone will be on the same page when it comes to applying to those schools that are appealing. There are a few things that should be carefully looked over when choosing a college. First, tuition is by far the most important factor becasue it can have major affect even after graduating, what with loans and all. So, look into scholarships, grants, and any type of financial aid that will lower that tuition bill because it can stand in the way of registration and graduation. Second, location affects tuition and independence. A person who attends school out of state will learn to be independent quite fast when they realize they won't be bale to run home as they please. Third, majors and minors definitely need to be well examined and chosen. When deciding what career to go into, it is important to pick the right major(s) and/or minor that will transition properly into graduate school, medical school or the job market. College is probably the most important time of an individual's life because it allows growth mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. So, choose wisely.

The best thing about attending Johns Hopkins is the reputation that it has throughout the world. I enjoy all my fellow students who attend Hopkins and can easily relate to me intellectually. It has always been my desire to live and study along others who have the same academic and career goals as I do. The high quality of education that I am receiving now plays into the reputation that Hopkins has, and therefore, is the best thing about my school.

A person who keeps to himself/herself and doesn't like to interact with others will have a difficult time staying socially in tune. There are times to remain to one's self, but there are many opportunities to get to know the people who are at school with you.

Tim

Hopkins is missing a lot of things like school spirit and pride, but people here complain too much.

I think it was important to visit and schools and spend time with students away from parents and meet-and-greet events. By doing this I got to see the negatives that were not advertised. The most important thing that defined my college experience is that I got what I put in. I joined a fraternity, a varisty sport, and other groups to have a better time and I never took school work to the extreme that other students here did. My best advice is to know who you are and where you will succeed. I imagine its easy to make friends and enjoy life at a big school and it might be a little harder if you attend a small school that does not fit you. Try your best to know where you'll succeed and try your hardest to make memories wherever you go.

Its a small school so its easy to get involved and succeed in groups.

Finding the right college is about finding yourself and your likes and dislikes. First, sit down and figure out what your passions are. Then see if if that lines up with your career goals and look for schools to aid you in that. If undecided, that only means you have more opportunity to explore many different subjects until you find your true calling! Look into different types of programs, but not just academic- extracurriculars are just as important! Also think about the location and size of the campus- are you more partial to urban life? Do you like a small, closed campus? These are all important factors when choosing the right school for you. As for making the most of your college experience.. get out there! Meet a diverse group of people and join clubs. Focus on your academics but don't kill yourself. It's all about balance.

it's got the best pre-medical program in the nation and also is a leading research university. it's the #12 top university in the nation.

great campus, perfect size, good opportunity for research

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.