Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Gregory

Students are serious about their studies and will understand if you need to work instead of going out. At the same time, most students are social, so it's not like everyone is always studying. I found this balance of work and play to be satisfying. Probably one of the biggest weaknesses of Hopkins is the food and variety of food. On campus food is fine (quality-wise), but there aren't enough venues. This results in lack of variety and long lines at lunch time. Additionally, many locations don't serve dinner, so the cafeterias become your only option. Additionally, off campus options are pretty limited, which doesn't help this issue.

Overall, the student body tends to be pretty diverse and "normal". There are probably more Indian students (proportionally) than most campuses, but otherwise is a fair representation of races/ethnicities. When I describe the students as "normal", I mean that most people are friendly, decent, intelligent people who wear "normal" clothing. Students don't look like fashion models, but aren't bums either. In general, people aren't super geniuses who have accomplished ridiculous things by age 5; they are average people with above-average intelligence.

While it may be true for some people, most students are not premeds and few are "cutthroat". Most students are happy to help their peers with coursework, even if graded on a curve.

Hopkins academics can certainly be challenging...and there is no grade inflation. However, many students work together and professors and teaching assistants have office hours where they are happy to help you with problems you may have. Most classes are reasonably sized (~20-30) with the exception of intro level math and science classes which can be as large as ~300 students. The physics department is pretty unique in that the teacher to student (majoring students) is much higher than most other departments. In fact, the ratio is probably pretty close to 1 faculty member to each majoring undergraduate student. This means that there are many research opportunities without there being much competition from your peers. Additionally, because there aren't many students majoring in physics, the physics-track courses are small (~25).

There are many students groups that are very active. Additionally, most students are active within at least one student group, which makes for a very lively community. Activities/events hosted by the university can sometimes be few and far between, but there has been much improvement in this area over the years. There isn't much to do in the immediate neighborhood around Hopkins, so most students either have to go downtown or up to Towson (we're pretty much right in the middle of the two). However, the university does provide free transportation for students to get to these places.

Alex

The campus is really nice and it is a good size to get to know a lot of people but not so small that you have to see the same people all the time. Research is emphasized but often difficult to get initially, once you have a lab however, it is easy to get more research experience/ published. Students are really involved in their groups on campus but do not have a lot of schoolwide pride in athletics or other groups.

There are a wide variety of student groups on campus, some are significantly more organized or involved than others. Hopkins is full of overachievers, so those who are intimidated easily would not feel comfortable here. If you are ambitious and self-motivated, you can be successful but you have to pursue opportunities because nothing will be handed to you. Most students seem to be from the East Coast with some from the West and fewer from the middle of the country.

There are a lot of people that fit the typical pre-med/ engineer image but certainly not everyone.

Classes seem to be either really huge or really small but nothing in between. Almost all of the language or upperlevel humanities classes are small and the professors are really involved in the class, but most of the introductory classes and science classes are huge, graded by TA's, and the professors will never know your name. It seems that most Hopkins students use their degrees to get into grad school.

Most of the social scene is based around off-campus frat parties or smaller group activities. Those who live on campus tend to be more social, especially in freshman housing. It is easy to travel to other cities on the train but most people stay on campus or in the surrounding areas. There seem to be more planned activities on campus than students who want to attend them, so most events will either be sparsely attended or packed.

Everyone is pre-med or an engineer that either has no social skills or is really cutthroat. Also, everyone tries to graduate as soon as possible to get out of Hopkins.

The best thing about JHU are the people you meet here. I've met some of the highest quality people I will probably ever find in my life. I think the school size is good (~4000 undergrads) but I wish the classes were smaller and more personal. If people actually know what Hopkins is, they seem to be impressed that I go here (and I am proud of that). Most of my time on campus is spent in my building, whether it's hanging out with friends, t.v., or studying (a lot). There isn't much of a college town but there are things to do if you know where to look for them.

The only student who would feel out of place at JHU is a lazy, dumb student who doesn't care about learning. Most JHU students are from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and California. I feel that most people who go here are from average financial backgrounds, though both ends of the spectrum are found. Most students (at least the ones that are politically active) are Democrats because A. this is Baltimore and B. we're young an idealistic.

Hopkins 4K for CANCER!!!!!!! Give them money!!!!!

Some professors know my name, and if you're a teacher's pet in a big lecture class, everyone will know your name because they'll all be annoyed with you. My favorite class here I took first semester as a freshman. It was Intro to Human Physiology and the professor was amazing and the class was non-stop interesting and fun. Competitive doesn't come close to describing how studious some of the kids are here. I'm a bio major, though I would have preferred to be a French major. The education at Hopkins is geared towards learning for its own sake. If you want to just get by, don't come here.

The most popular groups on campus are the fraternities and sororities. I'm involved with the Student Art League which is a brand new group on campus that was formed because there is an obvious lack of art on campus (we don't have enough funding, enough classes, enough facilities, etc.) I find the dating scene to be somewhat limited because lots of people who go here are Asian (not my type), frat brothers (not really my type), or waaaay to nerdy for me. I met my closest friends last year because we all lived in the same house in AMR II - Clark. People definitely party every weekend - work hard, play hard. Last weekend I did the first 3 performances of the musical Pippin and went to a cast party on Saturday night. Off campus I go to D.C. just to enjoy the city, go to the Inner Harbor, go to restaurants, shop at Cloud 9 or Urban Outfitters, etc.

We're all nerds and cutthroat students (at least regarding the premeds).

Ben

Hopkins is an awesome location, a beautiful campus in the heart of a city, which allows so much opportunities if you take the initiative to get off campus and explore. Many people complain about Baltimore not being a good city but they are just whiners who havent put themselves out there enough. Everyone here is weird and awkward in some way, which makes for a lot of hysterical situations. However, you cannot be the kind of person who is easily upset by people who have no idea how to handle normal social situations, as this happens a lot. Brush off people's oddities and lack of common sense and you'll be fine.

Any kind of student can be found here at hopkins, although the large majority of them are hardworking people who also like to have fun and go out on the weekends. There are people who study all weekend long, and people that party all week long. Every extreme is represented, although most students adopt a "work hard play hard" attitude here

We are definately all weird and awkward. . . a large number of people are socially retarded, but the cutthroat aspect of Hopkins is only felt as much as you let it affect you. Study hard get good grades and no one else matters.

The pre-med classes are gigantic, but that's just the way it has to be. To compensate, much individual and group help is offered that students often do not utilize to its biggest potential (like free drop in tutoring), but is always available.

Much of freshman life revolves around frat parties, which quickly get old for most students who move onto other social activities such as finding things to do around baltimore

Everyone is socially retarded and awkward, we're all a bunch of cutthroat asians who sabatoge each other's school careers to get ahead

Gene

One of the best things about JHU is how easy it is to get invovled in anything you may want to do. The campus is small enough that they are happy people are willing to participate in whatever and big enough to have a wide range of activities. If you want to do research you can. If you want to learn how to build a set you can. If you want to get involved it is only a matter of walking down to the CSC (the center for social concern). The walk won't be long because the campus is so small so a 15 min walk would get you anywhere. The campus is also a gorgeous brick and marble with cherry trees so the walk would be pretty. The JHU administration is fabulous. They are constantly trying to improve the happiness of their students.

If one is looking to be involved in a religious organization, one can easily do so no matter what their religion is.

The teachers are extremely willing to chat with you about class or even just life in general. Professors encourage you to come stop by so they can get to know you. My favorite class so far was a history seminar where everybody regularly participated. At the end of the semester the professor invited us over to his house to hangout and consume lasagna. The academic requirements are extremely flexible so you are not bogged down by needless core classes. I talk an extraordinary intersession class called Concept of Mind which blended both a neuroscience and an anthropology view of the mind and what constitutes it.

There are constantly speakers coming to visit. Even in the so called un-social dorms there is constantly people in the hallways.

that we are needlessly competitive

Cody

Hopkins is a great school with some smart people at it. However, there is little emphasis put on being well rounded. It is necessary to take it upon yourself to make all you can out of your college experience. No one at Hopkins is going to tell you how to get involved on campus, rarely are you just going to walk outside and be able to get into a game of football on the quad (technically on the freshmen quad sports aren't even allowed.) There is a reason for the no fun stereotype, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Hopkins is a rather white-washed prep school student body. This is probably because many of the minority students will only interact with members of their own minority and what is left is a lot of rich kids who went to prep school. The fraternities are all alike, the best diversity you will get in an organization is through shared interestes, such as athletics or Residential Life.

There are many people like that, but there are plenty of people who are active on campus and do things. The best part about people who stay in their room or the library all day is that you never have to see them.

Depends on your major, if you take Civil Engineering courses then you will know your professors very well they will know you and there will be great interactions between student and professor. If you take econ, not so much. The larger the major the less likely you are to get to know any of the professors.

Hopkins Baseball is by far the greatest social organization on campus. There are a million baseball players and they all like to get out and have a good time. Often overlooked the D-III sports program at Hopkins is highly competitive nationally and the athletes are much more approachable than the D-I counterparts at Hopkins. The athletic community at Hopkins is very tight knit, but more importantly very open to meeting and embracing new people.

They are all nerdy Asians who sit in their room and study all day.

Lane

JHU is really not as bad as some (majority of) students say it is. For example, I've heard a lot of complaints about campus food both in the Sodexho and Aramark eras, but from the bottom of my honest heart, IT IS FINE!!! You can choose to eat as healthily as you wish, as frequently as you wish, all under your budget. JHU has many resources to prepare people to go to graduate studies or get a job. But one has to look for them actively in order to get the right service. Recent controversy: Halloween party incidence last year. I think the administration went overboard to suspend the kid for a year and a half. I would have much preferred giving him some community service tasks, which would serve to dissolve the mutual misunderstanding of what is a culturally appropriate message. I was glad however to find both sides' perspectives publicized well on the web.

I see a lot of sweat pants and t-shirts, sometimes pajama bottoms, in class, which one of my friends disapproves. I'm getting used to it b/c I tend to think of this as a nationwide mod. I went to several campus Christian ministries at the start of my Freshman year, and I found many of them to be somewhat not as open to "finding the sacred in the secular" as I wished them to be. For instance, I read novels like Beloved by Toni Morrison in high school and found them to be rich with moral questions for modern followers of Christ. But when I brought up the idea of a Christian book club, people tended to think of reading spiritual enrichment books written by Christians for Christians, and refrained from mentioning any canonical names. We all find our own niches at JHU. I became close with many students with international backgrounds, myself being one. I also clicked well with grad students in my lab and TAs from classes.

I am writing to represent Japanese Student International (JSI).

I am speaking only from my observation.

I've heard some tough comments about TAs not speaking fluent English, but I've never had trouble understanding international TAs, and if I did, I was always able to go to them after classes to discuss things until both of us came to term. Maybe I'm a little biased because my native language is not English and I've had experiences with many accents. But then ppl should utilize ppl like me more. I like how you can be as active as you wish in class. Some professors will know your name and sincerely help you out if you contribute positively to class. That's how I got the Lab Manager job at Language Acquisition Lab - I volunteered to be a foreign language consultant in one of Dr. Geraldine Legendre's classes, and eventually she was impressed with both my work there and my grades. When I decided to take a year off to apply to med schools after graduation, I was looking for something academic but not too stressful to do. She spent a night thinking and decided to create the position especially for me. She & her husband Dr. Smolensky, also in the Cog Sci dept, even invited me & a visiting scholar to their Thanksgiving dinner b/c they knew we were far apart from our families. We cooked everything together and had a hearty evening. Too bad the couple's leaving for sabbatical next year.

Dorm doors are closed most of the time, I guess because people use them as study rooms or just spend most of the time outside, esp. in the library, and don't want their stuff stolen. That's reasonable. I actually didn't get to meet one of my closest friends until the Senior Week at graduation. But finding a great friend through socialization wasn't really on my priority list while I was a student - I'd rather get a respectable grade, get to help other people study by tutoring them, and get involved with volunteer / community service activities. That's how I met people and I was perfectly happy not spending additional time with people. I met my sweetheart in Terrace while dining with other church friends. We were both of similar international backgrounds and we spoke 3 common languages (almost) + the language of BME, so we had a lot to share. I am indebted to him for introducing me to Student Technology Services, one of the greatest places to work on campus. Through training at STS, I spent a lot of time drawing and designing digital art for student websites. I became so passionate in it that I would spend whole weekends at it. Naturally I had a lot to share with my fellow digital artists and programmers at STS. STS was indeed a very comfortable place to be: the director Debbie Savage might be a little intimidating at first, but she made sure everybody was on their feet. STS really worked as a team.

- Students can be hard to approach for people with non-mainstream points of view (but who is not anyways?) - People somehow all know the right places to go to find e.g. researches, advisors, volunteering opportunity, but they don't always share their info too readily. - We all respect each other's privacy, so you can be as open or shunted as you want.

Devon

I think the administration is too invested in creating an environment that donors and alum find appealing as opposed to taking up actual student life issues. There is a desperate undercurrent of wanting to mimic and be in the same league as the Ivies and as a result so many opportunities are missed to define and distinguish Hopkins as its own unique place. Advising is inaccessible and some advisors are downright rude and may actively dislike students. Students are allowed to leave Baltimore with absolutely no concept of the place in which they've lived or any sense of the social deterioration happening around them. It fosters a sense of entitlement and distance from a city that could benefit greatly from the talents of the student body.

I think Hopkins is generally conservative and some might say segregated. The student body is fractured into different interest groups and as a result events are poorly attended by those not already familiar with the group sponsoring it. People are middle class to very wealthy.

1. Not entirely. 2. No. 3. Not entirely.

Class participation in the humanities is encouraged and I've found professors to be approachable as well as brilliant. We could do with a few more forward thinking folks but for the most part professors are outstanding. I think there is a great deal of intellectual discussion outside of class -- since everyone carries around the nerd stereotype no one feels "uncool" flexing their intellectual muscle.

Students in freshman dorms leave their doors open. Doors in other dorms can't physically stay open. I met my friends through activities. Some people party all the time, some never. Frats are important freshman year and sororities just don't make sense. Why anyone would rush is beyond me -- there are no houses, no parties and generally nothing worhtwhile associated with sororities.

1. Everyone is nerdy. 2. Everyone is going to be a doctor or at some point wanted to be a doctor and failed. 3. People are too competitive.

Shawn

My favorite part about Hopkins has been the opportunity I have had to work at the hospital. The ease of getting to the Medical campus and the opportunities I have gained from it have been amazing. I would encourage the school to try to increase levels of school spirit. If there was a designated day off from classes to just bond with other students - maybe a day during a lacrosse game - that would be amazing. It is slowly becoming a college town. There have been many great stores and apartment buildings popping up.

I am from India and while I don't consider myself to be the minority, it isn't true that Hopkins is made up of mostly Asians. I know many people outside of my racial group, and am friends with many people from the LGBT groups. There is a tendency of certain racial groups to stay friends with only people of their race, but it really comes down to you taking the initiative to recognize this if it has happened. Students aren't very politically active but overall are most likely to hold Democratic ideals.

American Red Cross - JHU Chapter

There are a large number of pre-meds but this is not a bad thing. The school is only competitive if you make it competitive. I have never faced a situation where I felt that people were trying to compete with me to make me look bad.

Some professors know my name and some don't. You really have to make an effort to get to know your professors in big science classes. I love that there are no required classes to take here and that a lot of my major classes overlap with my outside interests like psychology. (I am a Biology major)

Alpha Phi Omega - community service frat which is very popular Lacrosse is very popular Freshman usually keep dorm doors open I am involved with the American Red Cross JHU Chapter and we had the opportunity to host the National Youth Convention this yera.

Everyone is a pre-med and everyone is very competitive.

Meagan

It's a beautiful campus, that's the first impression. And Baltimore is a wonderful city to live in. Yes, you have to have common-sense, just like in any city, but Baltimore (despite it's murder-rate) is a welcoming, quirky city that you'll love to get familiar with.

Generally friendly, though a little spacey at times.

My major (Anthropology) is misunderstood, even at a prestigious university like Johns Hopkins. So it has become my impromptu crusade to educate everyone I meet that while Archaeology IS a BRANCH of Anthropology, it does not cover the entire field of Anthropology. But other than that I love my major. The department's requirements are really flexible, which allows me to take almost all the quirky, off-topic classes which interest me.

We're all pre-meds who are holed up in the library w/o sunshine.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.