Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Harper

Small private school. You end up seeing everybody you know and getting to know people you don't eventually after a year or two, if you even venture to try. Otherwise, the only excuse for not meeting people is being holed up in your room. My friend circles overlap, but that's just because I spent a lot of time on my social life at Hopkins instead of studying, which you need to do 24/7 if you want to hack it at this school. The most successful kids who come out of here are the ones that are crazy about every academic or extracurricular pursuit they choose. They live and breathe it, and therefore have no use for outside fun. If that isn't you - if you like a little bit of everything at a chillax pace, then don't go here. Hopkins is intense, and it's a struggle just to make it through all four years. That said, if you're crazy intense, and want to be surrounded by like-minded dorks, then this could be the perfect place for your undergraduate career.

They're all pre-med. Which is and isn't true. A lot of the science and engineering kids are pre-med, but there's also a lot of International Relations and Writing Seminars kids who are nowhere near pre-med. Another stereotype is that Hopkins kids don't have much fun. That's unfortunately slightly true. Hopkins is intense, and the territory goes with it. Your idea of fun may not be researching the enzymatic reactions of certain protein receptors on a weeknight, but that's just what some kids do, and is quite common. Nevertheless, even the dorkiest/nerdiest kids (and Hopkins is full of them) find less academic routes to stress relief, including ultimate frisbee, ballroom dancing, and volunteering, to name a few.

The best thing at JHU is that the misfits have a strong community. Those who enjoy docenting at museums, book clubs and vegan food feel persecuted by the polo-wearing majority and by the lack of school funding or support for artistic endeavors. They bond together over that. I would make tuition lower!!! I would also ask for themed housing, like they have at Loyola down the street: German language house, athlete housing, etc. I like the size of the school. I like a small pond. But other people say that it's too small; everyone you hook up with has hooked up with one of your friends...ew. "Are you a doctor?" No. I used to hold court at the Levering coffee shop. People always knew I would be there and would come to find me. But then one of my enemies started showing up there so I relocated. I used to love the Hutzler Reading Room (the Hut) in Gilman Hall, but they are renovating and took out all the books. Now it is just drafty, extremely hot/cold, and there is only one toilet for all 40 people studying in there. I LOVE BALTIMORE SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH. I NEVER WANT TO LEAVE. It is a great place to be young and strange. Did I mention our bike collective? The strange way that Mount Vernon (monuments, gay people) becomes North Central Arts District (train station, more gentrification) becomes African-hair-braiding/Korean-barbeque becomes Charles Village (lesbian dog walkers and Hopkins) becomes Waverly (Kennedy Fried Chicken, dollar stores, black people) becomes Roland Park (rich rich rich) becomes Hampden (poor white people, awesome shopping and lame touristy shopping)? I love it. The administration is kind of a dick. It took us a year and a half to get funding for our club. But some of the deans are lovely. Hmm...Sig Chi's racist Halloween party...the Carrolton Review published pictures of DSAGA and "outed" them...people are frequently dying... There is mild school pride. A lot of people seem to take pride in saying: "JHU: Where your best hasn't been good enough since 1896" but half the schools in the country claim that motto as their own. People have a lot of pride in how unwashed, awkward, throaty and boring their classmates are. Also we have a lacrosse team. Baltimore is unusual. Dance parties in Gilman 500 (under the belltower). The scent of night-blooming magnolia by the library. The first time I went to a warehouse party... People complain about everything.

Some self-segregating goes on. The black community is really tight, and they have lots of student groups, activities, and faculty mentors to promote friendships and support. But I think a lot of not-black people think the black kids are a bit off by themselves. Also, kids who speak Korean or Chinese at home sometimes stick to themselves. Many gays bemoan the gay scene. DSAGA is mad incestuous so those not lucky enough to find luv on campus look to the real world (there is many a gay bar in Mount Vernon, many a lesbian at the farmer's market). Not a lot of poor kids. A few really rich kids. Quite a disturbing number of really spoiled kids, not matter what their parents earn. Kids who are paying for their own education, no matter what their parents earn. Can't think of who's out of place...maybe a fashion model. I look around the room and EVERYONE IS WEARING BLUE JEANS UGH GAG ME. Jeans and tee shirts, polos, pea coats rule. However, there's always someone wearing a suit. There is always a boy with braids, a girl wearing loud tights, someone who buys all her clothes in Free P Star in the Marais in Paris...and these people are generally admired, and talked about in a reverent way. Four tables! Dining Hall! Freshman! That means they are loud, pimply, and are throwing food at each other while trying to flirt. They are all eating fro-yo. They are Jewish. The Jewish kids are making fun of the Chinese kids for going to tennis camp. The Indian kid laughs awkwardly. The sole white Catholic girl is whining about missing her cat, who lives in New Jersey. A boy from Wisconsin uses an ethnic slur. Everyone has a nickname denoting their state of origin, religion or ethnicity. They are from Maryland, New Jersey, and California. Lots of East Coasters. Upper middle class, whatever the hell that means. No one cares about anything. There are about five people who have an active orientation, and they are mixed. Yes, all the damn time. Half think they'll be poor, half think they'll be rich.

Baltimore also has a lot of free museums!!!!

There are boring people but I don't associate with them. I have lots of fun here. Baltimore is one of the best cities in America, HONESTLY!!! Baltimore beats Washington, DC and Paris, France (two places I have lived) for community, defiant spirit, local celebrities, weirdness, local music, etc. We have an anarchist coffee house, a farmer's market, a Lithuanian dance hall, warehouses, intimate concert venues, and, best of all, the experimental music festival High Zero every year. Hopkins students are very varied. There are many depressed people, many competitive people, people who cry at bad grades, people who are autistic, people who do not have adequate communication skills, people who sit in their rooms all the time. There are outgoing people who are in the library all the time and are very committed to the ten volunteer activities they head. There are kids who drop out to do coke, suicidal kids, kids who drink bourbon from hip flasks and play in loud bands. We tend toward political apathy. There are very few Catholics. Frequently at the library a big table is speaking Korean. Anime is popular.

Yes, every single one of my professors has known my name. I love almost all of my classes. That is because I take mostly Writing and English classes. Right now I am obsessed with this tiny 3-person seminar. I love every single one of my writing workshop classes; my teachers are so wise. Yes, it is pretty commong. I only try to be friends with people who can, on occasion, have intellectual conversations. Not all the time, (because frequently we talk about food, or sex, or complain) but lots of times when we're drunk we discuss Deleuze, Abstract Expressionism and Henry James. Also the scientists love to battle the Near Eastern Studies kids. Some are, yes. When it's LSAT time, I want to hide, and avoid all future lawyers like the plague. But it's bad form among more normal people to EVER discuss GPAs and to some degree board scores. I love the Writing Seminars department. My teachers are AMAZING critics of my work and everyone else's work. Dave Smith has a Pulitzer, Alice McDermott is superfamous, Jessica Anya Blau is getting her first rave-review novel out this May...they are so fantastic. My classmates are mostly dumb. There are about 3-4 good writers per year. The 100 other people are just blobbing around, trying to "express" themselves and write about New York, teen pregnancy scares, and successful media personalities going through complicated divorces. Um, yes. I used to spend too much time with them, to the point that I spend time more reliably with professors whose classes I wasn't even taking than with my "friends." We have coffee, that's pretty much it. I really like them. No core, take some science classes, some b.s. social science classes, then the rest as you please. JHU seems to think that after graduation, Arts& Sciences kids are only capable of becoming a) Consultants b) Finance workers. There is, like, one class geared to either of these occupations. No one ever says, "You'll need to know this for a job" in class (well, except in really practical classes, like Social Statistics or Computer Fluency). I want to become a social worker and the school has nooooooo resources for that. I don't blame them, though. With writers especially, learning is for its own sake.

Pre-meds love service groups! Greek life keeps growing. There are a lot of really subversive sorority girls. Thoroughfare magazine publishes fiction, poetry, art, video, etc. on CD format and on the Internet. We begin every meeting by making jokes about K-Pop and Youtube. I don't know; I don't go. I will go to a lacrosse game drunk this year, though. People don't date. A lot of people don't have sex (!!!), but just make out. All my friends have serious SOs. Long distance is popular. The dorm became best buddies for a while but that faded away. I met my current best friend when his friend who had a crush on me brought me to an awkward, pretentious video-watching in his dorm and my BFF and I got into a fight about shoegaze. I met my other friend because I had a rabbit pelt on the first day of orientation and other people thought it was gross but she thought it was cool. I met other people at Writing Seminars readings. I'm writing a paper! I'm thinking about going to therapy! I AM ALWAYS AWAKE AT 2AM ON TUESDAY! If it were Monday, I might be sobering up from drinking beer with redheads, but if it's a Tuesday I'm writing a paper for Queer class and writing obsessively in my journal. My roommates are sleeping. WE HAVE A LIGHTING OF THE QUAD! IT IS GREAT! THERE IS FREE HOT COCOA!!! Lacrosse games are tradition. Normal-cool people go out at LEAST once a weekend. Some Writing Seminars kids or affiliates have been known to drink seriously and do drugs five nights a week. Some people NEVER GO OUT. I don't know how they live, though. I guess they're really important. I was opposed to them, but I have quite a few Greek friends. I danced at the Lithuanian Dance Hall with a bunch of JHU kids and the woman who runs the bike collective and the dude who runs the anarchist book store / coffee house. The next day I had RAINN hotline training and was super tired so some writerly friends and I had a quiet craft night where we watched basketball, drank wine, ate cheese and designed tee shirts. OH yeah, I should mention that International Relations girls LOVE wine and cheese parties. Like no other. There is one happening all the freaking time. Also costume parties. Go to a concert, have a dance party in a campus building, play dress up and take photos, write love notes and hand-deliver them, go to the Charles and see a movie, um...do homework. I THINK I HAVE ANSWERED THIS QUESTION ALREADY.

JHU, like U Chicago, is "where fun goes to die." Supposedly, everyone here is pre-med, all our parents are doctors, and we're ridiculously competitive. Everyone not from New Jersey or Maryland is from California. Baltimore hates JHU, but we own half the city so they can't do much about it. The City Paper is staffed by Hopkins. The Hopkins Press publishes the writing teachers who otherwise would not find a publisher. Baltimore is a horrible city. Everyone here is depressed and the Counseling Center is always clogged. Student Health can do nothing for you if you're not pregnant. In certain circles, JHU kids, especially the 19-year olds, are seen as parasites on the city's real night life.

Lorie

All of the students at JHU are passionate about studying and learning. I think that the administration could treat its students better. The size of Hopkins is just right. People ask me if I am going to be a doctor when I tell them I go to JHU. I spend most of my time in Cafe Q the coffee shop in the library. I think that the administration often overlooks its students and seems not to care about them.

Most students are from New Jersey. The first week you are at Hopkins it feels like every other person you meet is from New Jersey, however, this is not true.

While Hopkins is an intense school, students often collaborate on work, studying, and other projects. Students are also almost always willing to help each other.

Most of my classes are small so all of my professors know my name. I have a lot of favorite classes, one of them was Feminist Epistemology taught by one of my favorite professors Maura Tumulty, it is one of the only classes where I was always disappointed when class ended. We had interesting readings, stimulating discussions and Maura was accessible for any questions and helped explain the difficult readings we sometimes had. My least favorite class was Micro Economics. It was a huge lecture at 9am mtw=awful. Students study a LOT. Be prepared to work hard if you go to Hopkins, it is just a fact. Students are competitive, but mostly only for themselves. Yes students have intellectual conversations outside of class; it just happens when you throw a lot of smart students with different interests into the same environment.

There is a scene for everyone on Campus. Whether you would rather spend your nights studying with a friend for a midterm, sharing a coffee and dessert, going out clubbing, going to a football game, dancing at a frat house or just hanging out and watching a movie with friends, there is a scene for you.

That it is very cut throat and that there is a ton of work. That students don't get along with each other and are only trying to get ahead.

Natalie

This is a wear-sweats, read books, weekend-frat-party nerd kind of school. People are generally laid back, not too outspoken, a little bit cliquey, but nice.

Asked at the student health center about STD rates on campus. Her answer? "Not too high....people are too busy studying."

To an extent. Students here generally want to do well, and there are students who are dedicated to their work, but there are also JHU students who are the complete reverse of the stereotype.

Its all about reaching out to professors. They are there --and most want to help.

Lacrosse is famous. Guest speakers are great --though turnout isn't necessarily always high. Spring fair every year is great. Fraternities and sororities are a great way to get into social circles. There's a great movie theater, The Charles, near campus and a creperie next door that is a fun alternative to drinking on a Saturday night.

Studious, competitive, antisocial.

Andy

JHU is a great school, not too big though at times it can feel pretty claustrophobic depending on your social circle. Most people don't have much to say about JHU when you tell them you go there aside from "Oh? Are you going to become a doctor?" which gets really tiring. Also you have to constantly hear it being called "John Hopkins" or even worse "John Hopkin". Aside from that they also never really know where in the country it is. I, myself fall into the studious type with tendencies to slack. I often find myself spending 12 hours plus on campus for classes and studying and often times pulling all-nighters stalking the halls of the library. Though other times I will skip classes and go out partying on a Wednesday. Baltimore has a large array of clubs and bars so there is usually something for everyone, though getting around town can be a hassle if you don't want to constantly pay for cab fare. As there is a split in the types of students at JHU there is also a split in school pride. Lots of kids avoid school functions and things which some say JHU is well known for (read: Lacrosse) and in general no one really goes around yelling "YEAH HOPKINS!" unless they are in a team or good friends with them. Mostly people at JHU have one thing on their minds, which is graduating unscathed. JHU is competitive and very demanding. The competition is not particularly vicious as rumor has it, but you will work a lot regardless of your major (though some question that, as I would to but I'm not here to point fingers). Though the disparity of work does show up often, as the engineering school students occasionally call the Arts and Sciences students "Arts and Crafts majors". This isn't completely fair as some engineers do almost no work while some neuroscience majors are the most studious people on campus. The most annoying part of JHU is the lack of many things you'd expect on a college campus, its size limits what it has. There is no 24hr cheap good food place on campus, you have to go off campus (though really the walk isn't too far) and even at that the few 24hr places there are in the area get old fast. LIkewise there is only one location to study that is open 24hr. The area around JHU is also not the college friendliest place in the world, there are often many noise complaints and Baltimore has a law that two in a certain period leads to your house being closed so it is a big issue. The school doesn't do a great job of defending students and as we are also not very organized aside from the few committed students nothing gets done about it.

JHU has a lot of range in it's student body, which I feel is due to good admissions practices. That being said you can see some trends at times. Most JHU students are middle to upper middle class. There is pretty good relations among the students, though some people in the greek system can be very cliquish. Other than that there is not much student involvement. Most people will be in one or two groups and focus on that. However those tend to be non-activist groups such as literary magazines or the like.

The problems with some of these stereotypes are they are true, though it all depends on who you make friends with. There are a large group of kids that spend most of their time studying as well as any fun time they do have playing video games or something of the sort. Though, there is also a group that is big into the bar and club scene and do actually go out and party. There are also the 'artsy' kids who go to concerts in the area, art shows, etc. It really depends on what crowd you enjoy being with most. Most students hate JHU and Baltimore in general the first few years and some never stop hating it. Others fall in love with the city, which can drastically change how you enjoy JHU as a whole. JHU is really want you make of it.

Most classes at JHU, once past the intro classes that are typically 100 or more students in size, are fairly small. Some will be no more than 20 students, and many not more than a dozen. Professors learn your names and if you want will interact with you as often as you'd like. That being said, some aren't friendly and some are immensely friendly. The fact that professors are so invested in their classes they expect a lot from you, and most of them being as small as they are you can't skate by easily. Class participation happens a lot, though often times it ends up being simply two or three (sometimes more) people talking and asking questions while everyone else is silent. Some people discuss things outside of class, though some don't like to mix social with academic. I don't spend much time outside of class with my professors personally, though some students do. JHU education is interesting in that the general requirements are minimal. There are no general classes and the few requirements you do have can be filled by any class you'd like that meets the requirement. The departments do have stricter policies on requirements, however those are always geared towards what you need to be a successful student in that major. This gives people a lot of options as to how they build their degree, and it's a great system. The only draw back is students are mostly left to their own discretion about what to take and typically without a good plan someone can easily have to stay an extra year.

The largest groups on campus are mostly academic, service or ethnically oriented. The sports teams, although popular, are not the biggest group of students, at least from my perspective. Academics plays a big part, so much so that many things are pushed aside. The dorms can be a area for a lot of interaction, if you are very social. However not everyone is social and some people do on occasion develop a small and close knit group of good friends. For most people the dating scene is fairly barren, once you are a sophomore you tend to meet everyone you will ever hang out with at JHU, so you either end up sleeping around or committing to one relationship or two. Though my view could be skewed as someone that has a small group of friends and relatively unsocial. Since campus is small and if you do plan on being social you tend to see the same people again and again a lot branch out into the city and meet locals, though that isn't a wide spread thing. Most nights are quiet, spent studying or just watching a movie with friends in someone's apt. Other times parties or bar hopping. There are some events that everyone looks forward to, such a Spring Fair and for some Lacrosse season.

The major stereotype about JHU is that it is where fun goes to die, and that JHU students are a bore and very competitive.

Ryan

When I tell people I go to Hopkins, they're like wow, that's a good school. It's nice, but sometimes annoying when people automatically think that all you do is study and that you're probably pre med. I spend most of my time in my dorm, and a lot of that is studying with friends, because thats what we call "socializing" here. There are no controversies here, because no one cares about anything. The student body is apathetic. It's unbelievable. We had a controversy here last year about a fraternity's party, and different groups tried to have demonstrations, but no one showed up. There's also no school pride. No one really goes to sports events. We have the best lax team in the country, and there are still kids that won't go to the games because they have too much homework. And other than lacrosse, people really don't go to any games. I feel like that's my biggest problem with Hopkins: students here don't seem to care about or like the school. The administration is fine.. we don't see them much. We live in a city with a lot of schools, but we don't take advantage of it. People barely leave campus. Mostly this is because you can't get around easily without a car. People are also not very spontaneous, so maybe that's the reason. Everyone always either has too much work on a saturday or thinks they have too much work.

The biggest problem with JHU is that no one is here to experience college for its own sake. I mean, I know everyone goes to college to get an education. But at Hopkins, it's different. Everyone, at one time or another, (and for most people, its half the time or more) has asked themselves why they don't go to a fun school, why they don't go to a social school, why they don't go somewhere the kids are relaxed, or want to have a good time, or care about something other than academics. We all come up with the same reason: we came to Hopkins because we think it's going to get us to where we want. It will get us into med school, to law school, to that big investment banking firm. The point is, no one is here to enjoy "the best four years of your life". That's not what it is. Don't come here if you want college to be those best 4 years. I'm not kidding. It just simply won't be. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, and I'm happy here. But the kids here are different. They are here because college is a means to an end. For a lot of people, college is an end in and of itself. College is an experience, a time to have fun and figure out who you are. I don't think Hopkins offers that part of the college experience.

Honestly, for a large portion of the student body, they really are. You have to look hard to find people that want to have fun. And even when you do find fun people, we're different here than other schools. You spend a majority of your time studying, no matter who you are. Then you have the people who choose to spend all of their time at the library, and there are far too many of those.

I love my classes. I'm an IR major, and we have some incredible professors. I took Contemporary International Politics, an intro level class, with Professor David, and it was the best class I've ever taken. He would lecture for an hour and give us so much information, but it was completely organized in a way that made it really easy to follow, and was interesting. I worked so hard for that class, and there was so much reading, but it was all stuff that I wanted to read. And you have to respect it when a Professor has been giving you well-respected journal articles to read all semester, then halfway through you get assigned an article written by him, and you listen to your next lecture and know you're hearing from an expert on it. You can see your professors if you take advantage of office hours. Intro level classes are usually 100 person or more lectures. My least favorite class was Intro Chem. The science professors that teach intro classes hate teaching, don't care about teaching, and teach straight from the book. Then you get the professors that can't really speak English. People do participate in class. Students study ALL THE TIME.

That we're all nerds and geeks.

Andy

When I tell people I go to Hopkins they ask me what type of doctor I want to be. Just because we have the greatest medical school in America does not mean that's all we have to offer. As an IR major I have access to some of the greatest minds in the nation. Social sciences and humanities are often overlooked because of the great natural science reputation. We're actually top ten for a lot of humanities programs.

Fashion at Hopkins can be described as lackadaisical. Most people end up wearing Hopkins gear. This is either out of school pride or do to the fact that they have recieved too many free t-shirts and now have to do something with them.

Campus is absolutely beautiful. Come and see it the first week in April when the trees bloom.

No. Students work hard but they are not out to get each other. Hopkins students are hardworking but not evil.

Professors know my name and I have several that I could ask for recs. My favorite is Professor Thornton who invites me over to his house to go over my term paper topics. It's a nice walk through a residential neighborhood and then I get to discuss politics with a former foreign service officer.

Theater productions usually have pretty good showings (depending on how good the advertisements are). There are a lot of opportunities for the inexperienced to participate. Theater is relatively low key with lots of student written pieces produced. This means lots of chances to get cast.

Smart. Over worked, cut throat.

KJ

So, JHU, all-around, great university, great experiences; academically challenging, but ultimately rewarding. I've certainly met some people I never hope to lose touch with, I've had some moments I'll never forget, and I've had some classes and lectures that have completely changed my outlook on life. Although I am pre-med, I have tried my best to explore the various disciplines I won't really get the chance to in medical school, including physics, mathematics, and anthropology. Freshman year was absolutely amazing; one of my favorite experiences was living in the AMRs, really living very closely to a group of peers over the course of one year. I've spent a lot of my time at Hopkins as a member of the JHU Muslim Association and the Interfaith Center.. meeting people from my own faith and others which can simulatenously express such diversity and commonality was enlightening.

Josh

Hopkins is a school that is a good fit for a lot of people. It is a medium sized school with about 4,400 undergrads. You get to know a lot of people on campus, especially in your year, but it is big enough where you can meet new people every day. It's an impressive school with lots of majors ranked in the top 10 in the country, even outside of the natural sciences and engineering. It has stuff for everyone.

Hopkins is very diverse. Not just in the sense that there are many races, places, and religions represented on campus (although that is true), but people have very different attitudes, hobbies, interests, etc. The only thing "typical" of Hopkins students is that they are driven to do well.

The stereotypes are completely false. Hard working is the only one that is true, but JHU students are not overworked. Most of the time before a test people are taking advantage of group study and help each other out. There is plenty to do on and off campus that is fun. Hopkins students know how to find a way to relax after schoolwork.

Classes are usually larger earlier on, but in most humanities classes (which are taught seminar style) and upper level classes, the size gets smaller. As a 2nd semester Freshman, I am in 4 out of 5 classes that have under 15 people in them. Professors get to know you and can help you. In these smaller classes, class participation is usually a big part of it because the professors want to make sure that students are learning material that they can use by communicating it to others. There is pre-professional advising on campus, but most of the learning is done for learning's sake.

The only sport that is huge on campus is lacrosse. Other sports are well represented and well attended, but nothing brings out Hopkins spirit like lacrosse season. Other than sports, there are lots of performing arts groups that are fun to go to. Big name speakers come to Hopkins to give speeches. Greek life isn't huge here on campus, but it does constitute about 25% of the undergrad population. It's there if you want it, but if you don't that's cool too. There is a lot to do for fun in the area including exploring Baltimore's different villages, taking a trip to the Inner Harbor, or watching a movie at The Charles Theater. If Baltimore isn't enough for you, DC is only a short train ride away.

People say Hopkins students are cutthroat, hard working, and antisocial. Also, people think it is a place where there is no fun.

Athlete

The best part is being in a city, despite Baltimore being a rough city, there are plenty of great parts to it to discover. I would change the emphasis on research instead of learning if I could, but the emphasis is definetly on research and undergraduates are left to fend for themselves. Learning is not the goal, making money is. Which I don't agree with. The school is small, but it's nice because you get to know people. People always are impressed when they hear I go to Johns Hopkins or they've never heard of it or they refuse to call it Johns Hopkins and ask me if "John Hopkins is a good doctor school". Most of my time is spent either sleeping or in the library. A fair amount of time is spent in the weight room or the gym too. A significant portion of my time is spent in PJs as well (a local bar). Baltimore is a collegetown, however, it is difficult to meet people from local schools and Hopkins is known for being snobby and looking down on local schools, so the people kinda hate us. JHU's administration is really frustrating, they don't seem to care about the students, mostly just on making money. It's something you can't really understand or know about until you arrive on campus and experience it for yourself. If you have a lot of money you may never notice it, but for a lot of my friends they are taking out huge loans to be here and the administration doesn't care that we'll be 200,000$ in debt after four years of undergraduate school. It's not a priority for undergraduates to be happy. It's seen as a privilege for us to be attending THE esteemed Johns Hopkins University. School pride was surprisingly lacking, the majority of students are foremost concerned with their studies. The athletes have a lot of pride for each other, but overall pride is lacking. THe most frequent student complaint is that all the classes assign too much work and the exams are too difficult. It's very stressful and requires a TON of work to do well in classes. People are also very cutthroat. Several friends have had their notes and books stolen from the library.

I think JHU is very open to all different types of people. There aren't as many minorities as I thought there would be, however there are some. Most students wear jeans and a polo to class, as the majority of Hopkins students are wealthy upper class. The four tables in the dining hall are: the athletes, the black kids, the asian kids, and a table of sorority/fraternity kids. People don't "mix" well, groups are created and then boundaries aren't crossed. A lot of students are from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Maryland. A lot are from California too. The majority of students are really wealthy, as they wouldn't be able to afford to go here if they weren't. It's not really a good school for you unless you're really poor so you'll get lots of financial aid or you're rich and don't need it. It's not geared for middle class students. Yes, it's a constant in conversation that someone will bring up the "i'm going to be your boss/make millions of dollars". Politically it's split between republicans and democrats. It's not really a concern, as most people are trying to get better grades.

The idea that all hopkins kids are awkward is very true. Even the "normal" kids are awkward. it's hilarious and at the same time depressing. The idea that all Hopkins kids do is study can be verified by going to the library on a Friday or a Saturday night to find that more students are there than at the local bars. However, those kids who do party, party hard. The kids who attempt to make Hopkins more like the traditional college experience we are told about (you know, parties, making friends, drinking, having fun, crazy stories) exist, and most of them know each other because there aren't that many of them compared to the 5000 undergrads. Most of them are either athletes or involved in greek life, or both. Lots of undergrads are premed when they arrive at Hopkins, but not as many stick with being premed or an engineering major, for 4 years. Many switch to Econ or IR, which are easier.

None of the professors I've had for any of my classes know my name. My favorite classes were labs, because I like working hands on. Grading for labs sucked, but the actual procedures/experiments I enjoyed. Least favorite class was organic chemistry. 300 person lecture with a professor who didn't teach well, great experience. Students study all the time. There are easier majors that don't require it, however with any math/science/engineering/premed degree to get straight b's (if you are smart and didn't work hard, got straight a's in high school, good numbers on the sats, etc) i'd say 2 hours a day MINIMUM. Yes students are competitive, it's not an environment condusive to learning, the stress is on one-upping your neighbor to get ahead, so that's how it goes. The engineering department is supposed to be amazing, and for research it's great, but for undergraduate learning I cannot stress enough how little emphasis is put on actually learning. Cheating is a HUGE problem on campus, as students are expected to succeed however they can. JHU is definetly geared toward making lots of money, learning is irrelevant as is helping other people.

The stereotypes are that all Hopkins students are awkward. There are a lot of Asian kids, which doesn't really matter, but it's a stereotype and it's true. Another stereotype is that all Hopkins students do is study. Another stereotype is that all Hopkins undergrads are premeds.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.