Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Cayla
Johns Hopkins Review

Johns Hopkins Review

I am a freshman at Hopkins this year and so far my experience with the campus resources and people who work here has been not up to par. Some of the people are friendly but overall Hopkins really doesn't show that they care about the students individually. This school is all about making money and keeping a decent image. I am honestly so disappointed by the lack of urgency and customer service they show when attempting to help a student. For example, I came on the first move in day and made an appointment at the housing office to have my bed lofted at 11 am on Tuesday and no one ever showed up. In fact, I went down to the office the next day to ask why no one ever came and they did nothing about it but put me on the schedule for a later date... In my experience if you fuck up on something you should've had done you try to fix it right away I was on the list way before all of the people they did before me and it ended up being really unfair because they came when school started and I had to move all my stuff and it was such a huge inconvenience for a mistake THEY made! Not to mention some of the security guards in the dorms are assholes who don't really care about keeping the campus safe rather than being jerks and making you jump through a lot of hoops for simple shit. Like one of them knew I lived in the building because I had just talked to him about picking up an ID my friend left in my room and it was a quick question so I forgot to bring my J card with me to swipe by the bars they put up right in front of the elevator so since I literally walked like 4 feet away from the bars to ask him a question I didn't think it would be a big deal if I walked in behind someone else who had there card especially considering everyone does it because the bars take forever to go back down and of course he said I couldn't do it and I had to go through a long ass process for getting a card so I could swipe up get my card and come back down to give them the card they gave me. What he did was not securing the building because like I said I not only walked by him a bunch of times but I also just walked through the bars to ask a question and go back to my dorm! I wrote an email to the director of safety explaining how unnecessary and rude it was for him to do that and he apologized to me for the inconvenience. Not to mention, when you first arrive here its almost like not even being in college they treat you like you're at summer camp and have like full day meetings and lectures going on that are apparently mandatory for the entire orientation week. It was so tiring and I didn't even show up to half the stuff because the information was repetitive. Oh and you would think since you pay like $60,000 a year to go here that some of the services would be "free" (not really since the tuition is so high) like printing and copying lol no you have to pay for that and literally everything else...they don't even give you a complimentary T-shirt when you get here. Overall the only things I like about Hopkins are the location, the fact that it is a top university, and some of the people I met.

Elena

A Capella is popular, newspapers and magazines are as well. There is a niche for almost anything that you would like. I'd recommend that anyone at any college try out a variety of groups to find the right one.

The typical college student at Hopkins is focused. There are many things to be focused on, but most students here will have some kind of plan or MO that they work towards. Academic fixation is common, though there are people here who bring more than just grades and book smarts to the table.

Academics are rigorous. There is a lot of work and you will need to put forth a lot of effort to maintain a good GPA. You will have to make a choice about which GPA is acceptable depending on how many other parts of the college experience you want to incorporate.

Gerald

The fact that my school is world known as a good institution. Many employers give great weight to graduates from my school. Additionally, my school has a long history of providing a first-class education to its students.

My advice would be to begin life as a college student with focus and discipline. I would also tell myself to apply to all schools that interested me. Finally, I would tell myself to apply for scholarships.

A person that is not open-minded or open to learning about diverse topics. A person that doesn't want to expand his/her thinking and ability to creatively think about topics, subjects or world events.

Sean

My classmates are some of the best people I have ever met: They're friendly, clever, helpful, funny, and have become my second family.

Use the Pomodoro technique! Use more elaborate mnemonics! Take harder classes! All of this would have prepared you better for the intense academic rigor at Hopkins. You really should practice better studying, find ways to cut procrastination short, and start up a study routine. Otherwise, you may be disappointed. Hopkins is tough as nails and almost everyone I know there is flailing -- don't let this be you.

Personally, I think it's the students. Since I've already described them, I'll mention something else. The next best thing about JHU is arguably the Fresh Food Cafe (FFC). The FFC allows for students to have one of several meal plans. Mine is unlimited, so I can eat at the FFC as much as I want. It has great food that comes from local farms, so it is healthy and delicious.

Maude Theo

Nobody knows you like you do. So do not let outside pressures dictate what you feel you should or should not be doing. Look inward and rely on your internal compass to stay true to your own hopes, desires, and dreams. That is not to say that others cannot provide meaningful life lessons, help and advice, for they can. But you are the master of your own destiny. Set goals, self-evalute, and seek happyness and fullfilment above all else.

College is an entirely different ballgame than high school was. There's a lot more freedom, which is amazing. The biggest change for me, was that I got to pick which classes I wanted to take (instead of just being told what needs to be taken for each year). As a result, I ended up taking a lot of classes that I enjoyed, but that weren't practical. Our generation has it tough - unemployment is high, and so there's a lot of competition for every single position. If I could go back and talk to myself again, I would advise myself to take more classes that really would make my resume pop when applying for internships and jobs. This isn't like high school - you really want to take classes that will help you in the real world.

The education you get is second to none. All of my professors were incredibly intelligent and talented in their fields and seemed to really care about their students. None of them ever assigned me "busy work" either. Every assignment directly contributed to my education.

Johns Hopkins is a research institution, which means that most of the grants and funding is for research and research only. That means that there's very little money left over for anything else. It's difficult to get money from the school to start clubs. Being in Baltimore, which is a very hard city to live in as a student since it's dangerous, you really need the institution to support extracurriculars. Hopkins doesn't, and the administration doesn't seem to care about the happiness of its students at all.

Melody

Johns Hopkins University is an elite university for the driven student who wants to excel despite a plethora of challenges, which include, but are not limited to, strong competition, lack of social life, and living in a dodgy neighborhood.

After excelling in highschool, the dream to study at JHU finally came into fruition. Unfortunately, these high achievements gave me a false overconfidence. During my freshman year, I was struggling to balance volunteering, research, and schoolwork. I was not succeeding the way that I expected to. However, I wasn't initially willing to cut out extracurricular activities from my life: it has always been important to maintain and pursue interests that lie outside the classroom. The shock of my grades made me recognize that something had to change. I reprioritized schoolwork, and temporarily cut out personal commitments. I made a promise that I would return to my extracurricular activities when I could achieve a balance between academic rigor and a rich personal life. I recommitted myself to school. I wasn't used to asking for help, but instead accustomed to succeeding on my own. I needed to put my pride aside and seek outside help. I learned that asking for help is a vital skill that doesn't portray weakness, but rather signals a willingness to collaborate and share opinions. With support, I developed stronger study habits and raised my GPA. I learned to tackle my schoolwork with greater humility.

The most frustrating thing about attending Johns Hopkins University is the amount of work you must put into the coursework, which may not be reflected in your final grade and GPA. It is necessary to sacrifice so much just to remain average at this school, since everyone that attends is highly intelligent and strive for the same end goal. It is especially frustrating for pre-medicine students since you must compete with the best students who are all trying to apply to a limited number of medical schools.

The program was primarily online.

The program was primarily online.

Anyone that is willing to work hard and it passionate about what they are studying. One must have good work ethic and focus.

Dear Meg,As my young adult years unfold, I am still undecided what exact path I should follow, yet I have discovered the one aspect of life you cannot live without; RISK! To understand what I mean, you must consider the following quote, "With great risk comes great reward." In the years since graduating from high school, I have pushed myself to take tremendous risks that have frightened me to the point that I almost quit and crawled back inside my shell of comfort. However, through my perseverance and determination, I tackled the obstacles that accompanied those risks and have only felt more rewarded. I now have amazing relationships with people I would have never been friends with before and have been privy to experiences that have changed me for the better. Overall, I have become a stronger and more inspiring person and realize that in order to develop further I must continue to take risks in every aspect of my life. As a result, my advice to you, a younger version of myself, is to take large and small risks, day in and day out, in order to make yourself the best you that you can possibly be!

Darius

Apply to more scholarships. Apply to everything as early as possible. You can skip a few high school obligations in order to prepare more for your future.

Everyone here is a genious at something. Being around other smart people will encourage you to grow academically. Not only are these people insanely smart, but they also have healthy social lives.

The work is very difficult. But hey, college is supposed to be a challenge.

Breevahn

I would tell myself to get involved in all those clubs and extracurricular activies offered on campus! Learning in the classroom is one aspect of education but getting out there and getting your hands dirty is what really leads you to your path. I think about all the clubs that sounded really interesting that I didn't get involved in because I thought I didn't have time and was too focused on my studies. Looking back at it now, so many college graduates are lost in their paths and passions because they did not take the time to explore what their heart was calling them towards. Those experiences are what allow you to refine you passions. I would study what you love, not what you think will make money. Go out on those weekend trips with campus clubs because that is where you will meet people on the same wavelength of life as you and it will feed and stimulate a part of your intellect that a classroom cannot.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.