Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Jason

Johns Hopkins Carey School of business is a well structured, challenging and unique program. The majority of professors are knowledgeable and dedicated to their students; however, like any university, Johns Hopkins is guilty of employing professors who do little more than read PowerPoint slides. The curriculum provides a solid base for students with little or no academic or business experience. I recommend Johns Hopkins to potential MBA students.

Vincent

There are many things to love and many things to want to improve at the school, however, for me and everyone else at Johns Hopkins University, this is the perfect place to be. The community and the academics are so important and strong, even if you feel like there isn't a place for you on campus, other people who feel the same way or don't would find you and make you feel at home. There are so many clubs on campus because everyone is passionate about something, whether it comes to the arts, politics, comedy, or just inner-tubing, there is going to be someone else in the school that shares the same interest, leading to a formation of a club. The school has the resources and the confidence to let almost any appropriate club to exist because they understand that curiosity and fun are at the core of any academics. The majority of the community does not come from the Baltimore area, and many are not even from the United States, yet, everyone feels at home when they're here. While our school is sorely lacking because the sports teams, besides lacrosse, are in D3; high pressure academics; and complicated politics in the surrounding region; the school and the community of Baltimore County work together to make the school and the county a pleasant place to work, study, and play. If it comes to a cause that the community cares deeply about everyone will join together in spirit or in person to support a cause. If someone needs help with their homework or just needs an alternative explanation for a complex physics question, there is going to be someone right next door who can help or knows someone who can and is willing to help. So despite the lack of a Hollywood College experience, the academics and the ideology of the students bring us all together into a community of cooperation. It is true that academics are cut-throat and challenging, however, everyone is experiencing the same amount of pressure and the same amount of work. We work because the challenge and the work stimulates us. The lack of a COMMON CORE is liberating because it is just another example of how curiosity and fun are at the core of academics. We are all encouraged to break barriers and pursue our interests, not the interests of an admissions officer or a future boss. Those things come with time and will come from pure curiosity. While our school is far from perfect, and our mascot, the blue-jay, is creatively named Jay, we take pride in our academics and community. The opportunities are endless as long as we aim towards a goal that we set for ourselves, knowing that we will always have a nest waiting for us when we are in trouble or when we want to give back to the community that helped us reach that point.

Maddie

I have found a good niche at this school and have made it work to my needs. I think Hopkins has made an extreme effort to tailor itself to a variety of students. The administration does not always respond to its students needs in a timely or effective manner, but with the more recent student protests, the administration is giving students more power to affect campus policies. Students rely too heavily on Greek life to socialize, but with the newly enforced strict regulations on Greek life, it's slowly dying. Academics come first, but students either work collaboratively or alone. There is no peer sabotage when it comes to grades; kids are too busy and overworked to be cutthroat. Students are engaged with the community; the Hopkins administration is comparatively not.

Anne

I love everything about it. There isn't a school that I'd rather go to! Hopkins is a home away from home.

Jimmy

I'm a rising sophomore, and so far, it's been a blast!!! This is school has so many opportunites you'll be blown away. From surgical robots to a famous theatre actor teaching drama classes, you won't miss out on much. Double majors and switching majors is incredibly common here - if you come here, you don't have to make up your mind on what you want to do. I came in a Computer Engineer and had a lot of fun in my classes, but ultimately decided to switch into Public Health. Opportunities in Baltimore are numerous as well. Nowhere else can you participate in political protests in the city where the Freddie Gray incident happened, or where you can walk down Inner Harbor and enjoy the view of the bay. It's a wonderful city, and don't let the horror stories scare you away. As long as you exercise common sense (e.g. don't walk around in dark alleyways after sunset), you will be fine. The people here are some of the brightest and motivated people that you will meet. I've met friends that I consider family now here, and I've only been through freshman year :) You won't lack for things to do with your friends, not with the huge variety of cultural events and performance showcases every weekend. Like any university, it has its downsides. For one, grade deflation is real and the pressure to maintain a high GPA is very real. I've never felt like I'm competing against other students, but rather against an administration that doesn't listen to its students often, and against some of the hardest grading you'll see out there. It's easy to get lost in the library and study 24/7 and forget to do things like sleep, take a walk outside, and talk to your friends. And like most universities, mental health does not get the attention it deserves. The counseling center is great and I've used their services many times, and I highly recommend them, but it still feels like a stigma. But as long as you remember to take care of yourself, you will have an absolutely wonderful time here. And remember, no matter where you end up going, you get to decide what to make of your time. Whether you go to community college, your state university, or here at Hopkins, you have the power to make the most of it. Good luck on your apps!!!

Victoria
Great school

Love hopkins!

Great school

Love hopkins!

Alexa
JHop Rocks :)

Great School, better fit for me that i could even have imagined :)

JHop Rocks :)

Great School, better fit for me that i could even have imagined :)

Simone
Go Hop!

Not bad overall.

Go Hop!

Not bad overall.

Cayla
Johns Hopkins Review

Johns Hopkins Review

I am a freshman at Hopkins this year and so far my experience with the campus resources and people who work here has been not up to par. Some of the people are friendly but overall Hopkins really doesn't show that they care about the students individually. This school is all about making money and keeping a decent image. I am honestly so disappointed by the lack of urgency and customer service they show when attempting to help a student. For example, I came on the first move in day and made an appointment at the housing office to have my bed lofted at 11 am on Tuesday and no one ever showed up. In fact, I went down to the office the next day to ask why no one ever came and they did nothing about it but put me on the schedule for a later date... In my experience if you fuck up on something you should've had done you try to fix it right away I was on the list way before all of the people they did before me and it ended up being really unfair because they came when school started and I had to move all my stuff and it was such a huge inconvenience for a mistake THEY made! Not to mention some of the security guards in the dorms are assholes who don't really care about keeping the campus safe rather than being jerks and making you jump through a lot of hoops for simple shit. Like one of them knew I lived in the building because I had just talked to him about picking up an ID my friend left in my room and it was a quick question so I forgot to bring my J card with me to swipe by the bars they put up right in front of the elevator so since I literally walked like 4 feet away from the bars to ask him a question I didn't think it would be a big deal if I walked in behind someone else who had there card especially considering everyone does it because the bars take forever to go back down and of course he said I couldn't do it and I had to go through a long ass process for getting a card so I could swipe up get my card and come back down to give them the card they gave me. What he did was not securing the building because like I said I not only walked by him a bunch of times but I also just walked through the bars to ask a question and go back to my dorm! I wrote an email to the director of safety explaining how unnecessary and rude it was for him to do that and he apologized to me for the inconvenience. Not to mention, when you first arrive here its almost like not even being in college they treat you like you're at summer camp and have like full day meetings and lectures going on that are apparently mandatory for the entire orientation week. It was so tiring and I didn't even show up to half the stuff because the information was repetitive. Oh and you would think since you pay like $60,000 a year to go here that some of the services would be "free" (not really since the tuition is so high) like printing and copying lol no you have to pay for that and literally everything else...they don't even give you a complimentary T-shirt when you get here. Overall the only things I like about Hopkins are the location, the fact that it is a top university, and some of the people I met.

Elena

A Capella is popular, newspapers and magazines are as well. There is a niche for almost anything that you would like. I'd recommend that anyone at any college try out a variety of groups to find the right one.

The typical college student at Hopkins is focused. There are many things to be focused on, but most students here will have some kind of plan or MO that they work towards. Academic fixation is common, though there are people here who bring more than just grades and book smarts to the table.

Academics are rigorous. There is a lot of work and you will need to put forth a lot of effort to maintain a good GPA. You will have to make a choice about which GPA is acceptable depending on how many other parts of the college experience you want to incorporate.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.