Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Claire

Students are very driven to succeed and will work as hard as necessary (which is very hard) to do so, often to the exclusion of social events or adequate sleep.

Dear Past Self: College is very, very different from high school - while you will have much more freedom to choose how to spend your time, you will feel the very real need to devote much of it to studying and learning material for classes. Prepare to study more than you ever have, and seriously use a planner - make a schedule and stick to it, and you'll find that you have plenty of time to get everything done (and get a good night's sleep!). Don't stress too much - four years passes in a flash, and it's better to take the time now to enjoy the little things than to regret afterwards not having done them! Love, Me

Professors are often uncompensated for time spent teaching, so it can be obvious that they would rather be in their research labs.

Victoria

Embodying excellence and integrity in a pursuit of perfection.

Embodying excellence and integrity in a pursuit of perfection.

If success is measured by the people you surround yourself with, I have been engrained into a society of "the best of the best". Unfortunately, all success comes at a price. To describe a Hopkin's student as competitive, or even cutthroat, is a gross understatement. Speaking in class is like walking through a firing squad, each locked and loaded, ready to capitalize on imperfections. Conversations turn into deliberations, casually thrusting sharp stabs at who is more dedicated. While frustrating, you must remain resilient and shift your perspective, as they will challenge you to grow, push, and prosper through adversity.

Keep calm and turn the cartoons on. If you have ever watched cartoons, there is always a hidden lesson to be learned. In Wile E. Coyote, we all know that the Road-Runner is never captured, but is that the main point? Well, obviously not or there would only be one episode! There is constant trial and error, but the one overlooked characteristic is the Coyote's determination. The Coyote faces countless obstacles and boundaries, but never gives up, complains, or gets held back in failure. Rather, he is positive and persistent. If he fails, he brushes himself off, returns to reading his little Acme book, and creates a new master plan. He possesses the greatest amount of drive and willpower. No matter how many times he is electrocuted, run over, set on fire, or pulled off a cliff, he remains resilient. My message for you is to be like Wile E. Coyote! Never surrender and even if you feel like doors are being slammed in your face, never lose hope! Lastly and most importantly, never sell yourself short because the future belongs to those who believe in the power of their dreams. Goodluck!

Channing

Johns Hopkins is a very rigorous school that requires a lot of time and effort but the education that I received as a result is worth it.

They are mostly very nice, people aren't nearly as cut-throat and competitive as I originally thought they would be which is a huge relief.

Honey, there is no need to stress yourself out. You are more qualified for these colleges than you give yourself credit for, you’ll see. College isn’t going to suddenly demand that you solve advanced physics problems or write 50 page long essays. You will have time to explore and grow and learn about yourself and interests gradually because the purpose of undergraduate college is to teach you how to learn about anything and everything. All you really have to do is allow the school to help you, engage in class and participate in clubs or sports whether they are passing interests or deep passions because you have the time and it will pay off in the long run, I promise. And when you feel homesick, just remember that your friends and family are always just a phone call away, ready to support and love you in any way they can because you are not alone and going away to college is never going to change that. Don’t worry, starting this new chapter in your life is going to be more rewarding and exciting than you can possibly imagine.

Carrie

They are very curious and intellectual.

They are very curious and intellectual.

The most important pieces of advice I could ever give myself, no matter what time in my life, are to be true to myself and to love myself. Appearance pride and reputation do not mean as much as I sometimes think they do. No matter which college I could have attended, I have to constantly remind myself that these two pieces of advice will allow for me to become a happier person. I sometimes forget who I am while I'm under peer pressure but the times I do remember, my life is much better and those around me are also affected positively as well. I must be true to myself and everything else can come after that because happiness is motivation and motivation leads to much greater things.

The competitive spirit to do well and succeed make for a tense environment at times

Jacklyn

I'm an only child who grew up in Brooklyn, Ny. As an only child growing up in a rough neighborhood I took always relied on my parents. I was cyber bullied before it became a popular term and I grew up scared with low selfesteem. I made a few mistakes but my first was listening to my mother when she claimed that the SAT's were nonsense . My dad is an EMT for FDNY who can barely pay the bills and put food on the table at the same time, and my mom is a housewife who can't seem to hold down a job. If I could speak to my high school self I would tell her to use her common sense and do the best that she can do. Stop skating along, you aren't going to be a teenager forever. You're going to work a retail job (which you're going to hate), struggle more than you have ever imagined to go to school, and only be able to afford community college. Please Jacklyn, your life is now and you are doing a disservice to yourself and your future.

Brooke

If I could go back to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to not be worried and just relax. Everything will end out working out and stressing out over it will just make you go crazy over the summer and for the beginning of the school year.

Catherine

As a high school student I would give the advice of do not take on too much. Having a plan is important to accomplish what you want in life but taking on too much can be a hindrance. Evaluate the priorities and don’t try to get everything done in one day. Everything will work out, concentrate on the here and now, keep the future in mind, but living in the present. Second don’t care what anyone else thinks about anything, as long as they are productive positive choices. Not caring what others think can be a struggle especially for a high school student. The thoughts people have in high school are not as important as what you think of yourself. The last set of advice I would give myself is to develop very successful study skills. There are more projects, papers and more in depth homework. It is vital to have good study habits in school. The best advice I would give any high school student is to create a well thought out, study plan and schedule and stick to it – no matter how hard it is. That will pay off in the end.

George

Someone who just wants to have a fun time in college and party everyday.

Back when I was a high school senior, my perception of college was this: If I get into one of the greatest colleges in the nation, I'm set. If I succeed just academically, everything would go downhill from there. But college is more than just textbooks and chalkboards. It's about the people, the environment, and the beliefs that the university holds that truely makes the college experience. I've explored many different colleges, and I can say that no two colleges are the same. Some schools are relaxed, some are in great places, some are extremely rigorous. Each college has its own sort of 'aura', and it's that, not just the education, that really shapes you. I'm in a lab more than I am at class because of the importance of research that my university holds. The international feel of my school also broadened my views the world. Putting a rank for a college used to be my standard to rate schools. But I now find that not accurate. College should just be an extension of who you already are. And the college you attend is a decision of who you want to become.

Alexandra

They are ambitious, intelligent, witty, funny individuals.

They are ambitious, intelligent, witty, funny individuals.

First of all, I would tell myself to not worry about picking a major. I would tell myself that it is fine to try out classes in different departments. I would tell myself to relax and to figure out what I liked most. Then, I would tell myself to make the most out of dorm life, that I should try to meet everyone on my floor and constantly keep my door open. I would tell myself that freshmen year is the best opportunity to make friends, and that I need to take advantage of that. Beyond that, I would tell myself to get involved on campus, to join clubs and student groups. However, I would also tell myself not to commit to too many extracurriculars. I would tell myself to form study groups and to study with my classmates on a weekly basis. I would tell myself that the school is one giant support-system, and that I should not worry about struggling in my classes because there are so many people there to help. I would tell myself to relax and to enjoy my college career.

I wish I had known that I would have the time to get more involved in my first semester here. I thought I had to wait to join clubs until second semester, but I could have gotten more involved in my first semester. I was so worried about getting good grades that I only made myself more stressed than I had to be. I wish I had known it was OK to relax.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.