Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

The student body is pretty diverse, although I have heard complaints that many people disagree. There are a lot of multicultural events on campus, a lot of religious groups, and even groups for sexual diversity. Overall, I would say that JHU is pretty accepting of diverse people and opinions whether this diversity be about race, religion, LGBT, or socioeconomic. Most students dress pretty casually to classes often wearing Hopkins gears and sweatpants. There are some fashionistas who go all out each day, but people are pretty much dressed in jeans, sweatshirts, and jackets. While some people are preppy, it is by no means an unoffical uniform for the students. People are pretty nonchalant with their clothing choices, but typically leaning towards the trendy side. Stuents come from all sorts of backgrounds some come from prep schols, some from public, and many are international students. Students are politically active when it comes to national elections, but as a whole, the campus is mostly moderate. There exist a campus group of republicans, democrats, libertarians, and independents. This year the College Democrats will be debating the College Republicans, which should be very interesting and many hope this will become a tradtion. While the campus is moderate, as a whole it is more liberal than conservative. There is some separation among the diverse groups on campus and can be seen in the dining hall, but overall as long as you are outgoing you can meet people and make friends. The Hopkins community is slightly detached and passive, but when it comes to lacrosse season everyone goes out to the Homewood field to rally around our National Champions. The boys and girls soccer teams, along with the boys baseball team also draw crowds, as Hopkins is one of the best teams in the divison. The boys waterpolo team is one of the best Divison-Three teams and overall is one the top twenty waterpolo teams in the country. Students are ambitious and set the bar high, but do not dwell on the details of their future incomes.

Some self-segregating goes on. The black community is really tight, and they have lots of student groups, activities, and faculty mentors to promote friendships and support. But I think a lot of not-black people think the black kids are a bit off by themselves. Also, kids who speak Korean or Chinese at home sometimes stick to themselves. Many gays bemoan the gay scene. DSAGA is mad incestuous so those not lucky enough to find luv on campus look to the real world (there is many a gay bar in Mount Vernon, many a lesbian at the farmer's market). Not a lot of poor kids. A few really rich kids. Quite a disturbing number of really spoiled kids, not matter what their parents earn. Kids who are paying for their own education, no matter what their parents earn. Can't think of who's out of place...maybe a fashion model. I look around the room and EVERYONE IS WEARING BLUE JEANS UGH GAG ME. Jeans and tee shirts, polos, pea coats rule. However, there's always someone wearing a suit. There is always a boy with braids, a girl wearing loud tights, someone who buys all her clothes in Free P Star in the Marais in Paris...and these people are generally admired, and talked about in a reverent way. Four tables! Dining Hall! Freshman! That means they are loud, pimply, and are throwing food at each other while trying to flirt. They are all eating fro-yo. They are Jewish. The Jewish kids are making fun of the Chinese kids for going to tennis camp. The Indian kid laughs awkwardly. The sole white Catholic girl is whining about missing her cat, who lives in New Jersey. A boy from Wisconsin uses an ethnic slur. Everyone has a nickname denoting their state of origin, religion or ethnicity. They are from Maryland, New Jersey, and California. Lots of East Coasters. Upper middle class, whatever the hell that means. No one cares about anything. There are about five people who have an active orientation, and they are mixed. Yes, all the damn time. Half think they'll be poor, half think they'll be rich.

There is a large asian presence on campus, both from the States and abroad. Another large portion, and often overlapping, is the nerdy, academia-devoted, and socially awkward student that never leaves the library/stops studying. This leaves the "Hopkins 500", or the '500' students at Hopkins that are considered somewhat socially normal and that enjoy going out. This portion of students is actually larger than 500, but the number has a certain ring to it and was established to communicate the relatively small size of the social scene. Within this '500', greek organizations dominate. Even though Hopkins overall doesn't have a HUGE level of involvement in greek organizations, when compared to just those students in the Hopkins 500, the portion involved in greek organizations is very large. Hopkins draws strongly from the tri-state area (New Jersey, New York, CT) as well as PA. Many students either attended reputable public schools (generally in wealthier areas) or attended private school. All Hopkins students are smart, whether they choose to communicate this outwardly or hide it behind borderline alcoholism. As a result, the vast majority of students are extremely focused and driven on obtaining their career or personal goals in life. This atmosphere can be motivating in a certain sense but also overwhelmingly stressful, as everyone puts so much pressure on themselves, and Hopkins is already such a difficult and challenging place to thrive.

I think that the student body is diverse and on the whole very respectful of each other, but I know that there has been some tension in the past year/s with regards to people feeling insulted and targeted, racially. I feel however, that most people are not insulting, and respect everyone at the school. I think the kind of student that would feel out of place at JHU are those who don't have very much interest in academics, since I feel that most students do place a high priority on that, and the school can be quite competitive at times. Most students wear jeans to class, but many girls often wear dresses, skirts and sometimes more comfortable clothing. Most JHU students are from the east coast and mid-west, I would say, and I would say that there is a mix of financial backgrounds but that most people come from middle-class families. I think that students are politically aware and active, especially during the current primary season and elections. I think the students are predominantly left, but there is also a more right-wing presence on campus.

The student body at Johns Hopkins University is incredibly diverse. There are students from all over the world, not just the United States, and there are multitudes of cultures and backgrounds represented. The great thing about Hopkins is that nobody feels left out because of their background. Students tend to be very accepting to differences and welcome them with open arms. What makes Hopkins different from other universities is that there is not a certain type of person that seems to take over the campus. If you are an athlete, there are plenty of other athletes you can feel connected with. If you like to party a lot, there's a place for you with a large social scene. On the other hand, if you prefer to stay in on the weekends, there are plenty of students who feel the same way as well. In this way, Hopkins avoids what I consider a social hierarchy. Everybody fits in to their own niche and nobody is left looking on from an outsider's point of view.

I see a lot of sweat pants and t-shirts, sometimes pajama bottoms, in class, which one of my friends disapproves. I'm getting used to it b/c I tend to think of this as a nationwide mod. I went to several campus Christian ministries at the start of my Freshman year, and I found many of them to be somewhat not as open to "finding the sacred in the secular" as I wished them to be. For instance, I read novels like Beloved by Toni Morrison in high school and found them to be rich with moral questions for modern followers of Christ. But when I brought up the idea of a Christian book club, people tended to think of reading spiritual enrichment books written by Christians for Christians, and refrained from mentioning any canonical names. We all find our own niches at JHU. I became close with many students with international backgrounds, myself being one. I also clicked well with grad students in my lab and TAs from classes.

The student body is very diverse, and there are a ton of international students. I agree with another reviewer's statement that the students here tend to self-segregate, but people aren't so clique-y that they aren't accepting of people from other backgrounds/lifestyles. The majority of students are politically aware, and there's a decent mix of left- and right-leaning groups. Even though there are a lot of prep school/private school kids, people don't usually talk about money and the overall student body isn't really preppy. Generally, everyone is really friendly; I remember, even as a pre-frosh (admitted student/pre-freshman), upperclassmen stopping to ask me if I needed help getting anywhere. It's really easy to make friends with upperclassmen through clubs and classes, and there isn't a "pecking order" or hierarchy among the different years like there is at other schools.

While there is a large minority population here, Hopkins is very adamant in teaching you that diversity comes in many different shapes, sizes, and perspectives. There are students of different races (and a wide array of cultural student groups to prove this, and a multicultural student center that supports minority students), different religions (brought together by the Interfaith Center), and different sexual orientations (you may join student organizations and talk with professional staff who are openly gay, learn in Queer Theory classes, as well as help LGBT communities through community service initiatives). There are people all along the spectrum of socioeconomic status. Yet, you don't feel ostracized because you are different. Hopkins works to show that a different perspective is a valuable one, and I think the students here actively agree.

Hopkins is a pretty WASPy campus. I went to New York for a weekend, visiting friends at NYU and Rutgers, and then came back to Hopkins, and it struck me how the student bodies had very different looks. Hopkins is definitely preppy, and people care how they look. There aren't that many black students on campus, and they seem to stick together. There are a lot of Asians, and more Asians than you would think who are actually immigrants. Students seem pretty wealthy to me, but compared to other top 15 universities, Hopkins gives pretty good financial aid, so the student body is probably not as wealthy as that of the other schools. The student body is pretty liberal, but 1. lazy, and too focused on doing well in school to really focus on anything else 2. I think it's a much more conservative campus than others I've visited.

Students at Johns Hopkins are super competitive and extremely focused on their studies. Hopkins is NOT a party school to say the least. Granted kids still tend to throw parties and venture out to the frats or the local bars every now and then, they still manage to get their 12 hours of studying in beforehand. Students that are more about just getting by and only being social would feel very out of place here. This school is for serious academic students who enjoy intellectual challenges. How students dress varies because there are many different types of students here. But think of normal college campus kids in your head and that is Hopkins.for you. The students come from all over the country and the world and the financial backgrounds of these students also vary. Everyone and their interests and beliefs differ tremendously.