Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

The great thing about Hopkins is that there are so many different people from all around the world. For the most part, every one is very friendly as sociable. This is especially the case at the beginning of freshman year, when everyone is new to the school. The diversity at Hopkins really enables the students here to experience something that they likely would not have the chance to do at another university. Financial background: middle class to upper-middle class Politics: Depends on who you talk to (there are politically oriented student groups on campus) Future earning: sometimes discuss future plans, including medical school

Honestly, the student body is what makes Hopkins so fantastic. Students here are very diverse-- whether that be religiously, ethically, sexually, or geographically-- and people are quite accepting because of this. Students wear casual clothing and are not predominantly preppy. I am from Europe and have made friends here from all over the world: Pakistan, India, states across the US, other Europeans, Africans and South Americans! There is no 'typical' Hopkins student and I really enjoy that. There is also a large diversity of majors, and only a minority of students are pre-med or pre-law.

During my attendance, I couldn't help but to feel like an outsider, amongst uber-competitive, attention-seeking, pushy, extremely over-achieving mass of students- all scrambling to reach some goal that was unseen by me. But I soon realized that these stand-outs weren't the majority that represented the school- once you get past the obnoxious, pretentious, pushy facade of the school, there is a massive underlying heart of students that are truly caring, hard-working, and making huge differences in the world, without making that loud bang and pop. These are the true leaders of our generation.

Students here take studying and fun very seriously. It is common to hear students say "work hard, play hard" going into the weekend. There is a large Jewish community here, which I personally had no expected. However, the community here is very accepting of an race, religion or sexual preference; not once have I come across someone making fun of anyone for any of these things. The campus isn't as politically active as others although it seems to lean towards the left a little bit. I would also say that majority of the students fall into the middle or upper class.

Overall, the student body tends to be pretty diverse and "normal". There are probably more Indian students (proportionally) than most campuses, but otherwise is a fair representation of races/ethnicities. When I describe the students as "normal", I mean that most people are friendly, decent, intelligent people who wear "normal" clothing. Students don't look like fashion models, but aren't bums either. In general, people aren't super geniuses who have accomplished ridiculous things by age 5; they are average people with above-average intelligence.

I am from India and while I don't consider myself to be the minority, it isn't true that Hopkins is made up of mostly Asians. I know many people outside of my racial group, and am friends with many people from the LGBT groups. There is a tendency of certain racial groups to stay friends with only people of their race, but it really comes down to you taking the initiative to recognize this if it has happened. Students aren't very politically active but overall are most likely to hold Democratic ideals.

JHU has a lot of range in it's student body, which I feel is due to good admissions practices. That being said you can see some trends at times. Most JHU students are middle to upper middle class. There is pretty good relations among the students, though some people in the greek system can be very cliquish. Other than that there is not much student involvement. Most people will be in one or two groups and focus on that. However those tend to be non-activist groups such as literary magazines or the like.

If I were to say, "Hopkins students are ____", any word I put in the blank wouldn't describe everyone at the school, unless I put in the word "unique". There is no "typical" or "normal" Hopkins student: I have a Writing Seminars/Computer Science double major as a friend, and a roommate who entered the school wanting to major in Writing Seminars and is now pre-med and a neuroscience major. I guess the one thing we have in common as a student body is that we all work hard and are dedicated.

I've said this often before but what really impresses me is the diversity of our student body. You will find every type of student here - from athletes to singers to volunteers to artists. It's really impressive. I think the main common thing that stands out though is the desire to help others and the community. There's always some kind of fundraising and volunteering going on and a lot of the students really seem to care about what's going on in today's world.

The only student who would feel out of place at JHU is a lazy, dumb student who doesn't care about learning. Most JHU students are from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and California. I feel that most people who go here are from average financial backgrounds, though both ends of the spectrum are found. Most students (at least the ones that are politically active) are Democrats because A. this is Baltimore and B. we're young an idealistic.