Johns Hopkins University Top Questions

Elena

The typical college student at Hopkins is focused. There are many things to be focused on, but most students here will have some kind of plan or MO that they work towards. Academic fixation is common, though there are people here who bring more than just grades and book smarts to the table.

My classmates are some of the best people I have ever met: They're friendly, clever, helpful, funny, and have become my second family.

Students are very driven to succeed and will work as hard as necessary (which is very hard) to do so, often to the exclusion of social events or adequate sleep.

Channing

They are mostly very nice, people aren't nearly as cut-throat and competitive as I originally thought they would be which is a huge relief.

Carrie

They are very curious and intellectual.

They are ambitious, intelligent, witty, funny individuals.

Margot

My classmates are all extremely intelligent people who are willing to get together for group study, games, or even just relaxing and grabbing a coffe while discussing everything from physics to history to what's the best coffee in town.

The first thing that comes to mind when asked to describe Hopkins students is their commitment. Most students here are very studious and hardworking, and will put a lot of time into doing well in their classes. Granted, there are still many lazy students. While students are committed to doing well, they still make time to unwind. In my opinion, there are not many cliques. I have been able to drift between many different groups of friends easily. Some people do separate themselves based on race, and the athletes generally stick together, but they still mingle with other groups. There is a gap in the economic status of many students, as most students here either pay for their education with significant aid or straight out of their pockets. As such, it can be uncomfortable for students to talk about money. Generally, I think that Hopkins is fairly diverse and laid back. People do not dress especially well, so there is not pressure to look good all the time either. It’s not uncommon to go to class in sweat pants, although many students will dress nicely anyways. Ultimately, I feel that almost any type of person can find a place at Hopkins where they are comfortable.

**

Everybody needs to have the top grades and GPAs or else they will not get into the top medical schools, because a huge majority of the population of undergraduates at Johns Hopkins University are pre-med.

jessie

My classmates are an ecclectic bunch of quirky, intellectual individuals who thrive on challenge and caffeine and are always willing to lend a hand.

Sara-Lee

Students at Johns Hopkins are super competitive and extremely focused on their studies. Hopkins is NOT a party school to say the least. Granted kids still tend to throw parties and venture out to the frats or the local bars every now and then, they still manage to get their 12 hours of studying in beforehand. Students that are more about just getting by and only being social would feel very out of place here. This school is for serious academic students who enjoy intellectual challenges. How students dress varies because there are many different types of students here. But think of normal college campus kids in your head and that is Hopkins.for you. The students come from all over the country and the world and the financial backgrounds of these students also vary. Everyone and their interests and beliefs differ tremendously.

There's a wide variety of personalities and interests represented at Hopkins. There are also so many student groups here which is a really easy way to meet people with similar interests. There aren't many segregated groups at Hopkins: Greeks interact with no-Greeks, athletes with non-athletes, etc.

Most students are from the Northeast or California, and are on the wealthier side. Students are not particularly politically active. Students of all types are accepted here, but there's not a huge LGBT population here, and it's not that diverse. Students interact with each other, but tend to migrate towards people similar to themselves socioeconomically.

There are a lot of very social, normal people at Hopkins. If you are active in the social community, you'll easily create a good core group of friends. There are definitely a lot of anti social people who spend much of their time in the library, but you'll find that they won't have much of an impact on the social life as a whole.

The student body at Johns Hopkins University is incredibly diverse. There are students from all over the world, not just the United States, and there are multitudes of cultures and backgrounds represented. The great thing about Hopkins is that nobody feels left out because of their background. Students tend to be very accepting to differences and welcome them with open arms. What makes Hopkins different from other universities is that there is not a certain type of person that seems to take over the campus. If you are an athlete, there are plenty of other athletes you can feel connected with. If you like to party a lot, there's a place for you with a large social scene. On the other hand, if you prefer to stay in on the weekends, there are plenty of students who feel the same way as well. In this way, Hopkins avoids what I consider a social hierarchy. Everybody fits in to their own niche and nobody is left looking on from an outsider's point of view.

Sydney

The students at Hopkins are all so different. First and foremost, I have met students from so many different countries! I have friends from Bermuda, Italy, Bulgaria...everywhere! Also, I feel like students here are really accepting of all types. I know I personally have never felt discriminated against in any way.

Eliza

Students here take studying and fun very seriously. It is common to hear students say "work hard, play hard" going into the weekend. There is a large Jewish community here, which I personally had no expected. However, the community here is very accepting of an race, religion or sexual preference; not once have I come across someone making fun of anyone for any of these things. The campus isn't as politically active as others although it seems to lean towards the left a little bit. I would also say that majority of the students fall into the middle or upper class.

Connor

There is a large asian presence on campus, both from the States and abroad. Another large portion, and often overlapping, is the nerdy, academia-devoted, and socially awkward student that never leaves the library/stops studying. This leaves the "Hopkins 500", or the '500' students at Hopkins that are considered somewhat socially normal and that enjoy going out. This portion of students is actually larger than 500, but the number has a certain ring to it and was established to communicate the relatively small size of the social scene. Within this '500', greek organizations dominate. Even though Hopkins overall doesn't have a HUGE level of involvement in greek organizations, when compared to just those students in the Hopkins 500, the portion involved in greek organizations is very large. Hopkins draws strongly from the tri-state area (New Jersey, New York, CT) as well as PA. Many students either attended reputable public schools (generally in wealthier areas) or attended private school. All Hopkins students are smart, whether they choose to communicate this outwardly or hide it behind borderline alcoholism. As a result, the vast majority of students are extremely focused and driven on obtaining their career or personal goals in life. This atmosphere can be motivating in a certain sense but also overwhelmingly stressful, as everyone puts so much pressure on themselves, and Hopkins is already such a difficult and challenging place to thrive.

If I were to say, "Hopkins students are ____", any word I put in the blank wouldn't describe everyone at the school, unless I put in the word "unique". There is no "typical" or "normal" Hopkins student: I have a Writing Seminars/Computer Science double major as a friend, and a roommate who entered the school wanting to major in Writing Seminars and is now pre-med and a neuroscience major. I guess the one thing we have in common as a student body is that we all work hard and are dedicated.

The great thing about Hopkins is that there are so many different people from all around the world. For the most part, every one is very friendly as sociable. This is especially the case at the beginning of freshman year, when everyone is new to the school. The diversity at Hopkins really enables the students here to experience something that they likely would not have the chance to do at another university. Financial background: middle class to upper-middle class Politics: Depends on who you talk to (there are politically oriented student groups on campus) Future earning: sometimes discuss future plans, including medical school

Trisha

Students who go here are really great! They are all pretty easygoing and welcoming! Especially if you are a freshman, EVERYONE is in the same boat- you are all trying to get to know one another and everyone is really social!

Ariel

Hopkins is among the most diverse schools in the country. You will find people from a variety of different countries, states, and backgrounds. It's a great environment here and it's nice to branch out and meet people from different places than where you grew up!

Ruthie

The student body is very diverse, and there are a ton of international students. I agree with another reviewer's statement that the students here tend to self-segregate, but people aren't so clique-y that they aren't accepting of people from other backgrounds/lifestyles. The majority of students are politically aware, and there's a decent mix of left- and right-leaning groups. Even though there are a lot of prep school/private school kids, people don't usually talk about money and the overall student body isn't really preppy. Generally, everyone is really friendly; I remember, even as a pre-frosh (admitted student/pre-freshman), upperclassmen stopping to ask me if I needed help getting anywhere. It's really easy to make friends with upperclassmen through clubs and classes, and there isn't a "pecking order" or hierarchy among the different years like there is at other schools.

Samita

While there is a large minority population here, Hopkins is very adamant in teaching you that diversity comes in many different shapes, sizes, and perspectives. There are students of different races (and a wide array of cultural student groups to prove this, and a multicultural student center that supports minority students), different religions (brought together by the Interfaith Center), and different sexual orientations (you may join student organizations and talk with professional staff who are openly gay, learn in Queer Theory classes, as well as help LGBT communities through community service initiatives). There are people all along the spectrum of socioeconomic status. Yet, you don't feel ostracized because you are different. Hopkins works to show that a different perspective is a valuable one, and I think the students here actively agree.

Honestly, the student body is what makes Hopkins so fantastic. Students here are very diverse-- whether that be religiously, ethically, sexually, or geographically-- and people are quite accepting because of this. Students wear casual clothing and are not predominantly preppy. I am from Europe and have made friends here from all over the world: Pakistan, India, states across the US, other Europeans, Africans and South Americans! There is no 'typical' Hopkins student and I really enjoy that. There is also a large diversity of majors, and only a minority of students are pre-med or pre-law.

Allysa

I've said this often before but what really impresses me is the diversity of our student body. You will find every type of student here - from athletes to singers to volunteers to artists. It's really impressive. I think the main common thing that stands out though is the desire to help others and the community. There's always some kind of fundraising and volunteering going on and a lot of the students really seem to care about what's going on in today's world.

My classmates are helpful, intelligent, outgoing, and most all of great people to be around.

During my attendance, I couldn't help but to feel like an outsider, amongst uber-competitive, attention-seeking, pushy, extremely over-achieving mass of students- all scrambling to reach some goal that was unseen by me. But I soon realized that these stand-outs weren't the majority that represented the school- once you get past the obnoxious, pretentious, pushy facade of the school, there is a massive underlying heart of students that are truly caring, hard-working, and making huge differences in the world, without making that loud bang and pop. These are the true leaders of our generation.

My classmates are diverse in every aspect: ethnicity, personality, studiousness, major, interests, and others - that means there's a friend by my side for whatever mood I'm in, and it gives campus life flavor and keeps things interesting.

The friendliest most talented group of people I have ever met, who are able to relate to eachother with out and pretension or self importance.

People who like to relax, are easy going, and are not as nerdy as commonly expected to be.

Nerds.

mary

asian, driven, hard workers. they're nice, but have their personal goals on their minds. it's hard to make good friends.

Ahra

diverse

My classmates are hardworking to the point of the obsession, unfriendly, and competitive.

Therese

My classmates are all motivated, innovative, and focused.

People at this school are extremely focused and competitive, sometimes competitively so. There are nice people, but the overall attitude is one of intensity, and there is sort of a general unfriendliness and isolation that is experienced here.

Yuan-Ping

Very nice people that are open as long as you are.

They are a bunch of losers.

Isatu

Sweet, friendly and are willing to share notes if they are close with you. Some are very snobbish.

Overachievers.

Self-focused and sheltered.

Hopkins is a pretty WASPy campus. I went to New York for a weekend, visiting friends at NYU and Rutgers, and then came back to Hopkins, and it struck me how the student bodies had very different looks. Hopkins is definitely preppy, and people care how they look. There aren't that many black students on campus, and they seem to stick together. There are a lot of Asians, and more Asians than you would think who are actually immigrants. Students seem pretty wealthy to me, but compared to other top 15 universities, Hopkins gives pretty good financial aid, so the student body is probably not as wealthy as that of the other schools. The student body is pretty liberal, but 1. lazy, and too focused on doing well in school to really focus on anything else 2. I think it's a much more conservative campus than others I've visited.

Ewa

Education focused.

Connie

As a rule, they are intense. Everyone wants to do well, and there is a huge pre-med contingency on campus, who tend to be a bit more cutthroat than everyone else. For the most part it's not too extreme (no one tries to sabotoge each other's notes), but classmates can be a little bit less than eager to help if you're in the same class.

My classmates are all driven and each one has a unique depth.

Logan

When I was at JHU, homosexuals and African Americans seemed to me to be marginalized. But I have no idea if that's the case today. Asian Americans seemed to be very visible. Generally speaking, it was a very conservative campus. There was an abundance of pearls, polo shirts and j. crew but among various groupings, there was still quite a bit of cross over just because the school was so small. I doubt there would such mixing in a large university, such as Columbia, Harvard or Berkeley, for example. Students mostly ate with their housemates as the freshman housing system really promotes comraderie. Students don't really talk about how much they will earn one day. Most are focused on their classes and interestes, and assume jobs and earning potential will fall into place.

Jerry

People are pretty accepting here. Moreso than I found in high school, where if you weren't like everyone else or didn't try to be, you were "weird." There's a lot of individuality here and a lot of diversity if you're into that, but it's not mandatory. There are a lot of people who make friends with people who are exactly like them and that's fine, too. Again, you make it what you want.

I think that the student body is diverse and on the whole very respectful of each other, but I know that there has been some tension in the past year/s with regards to people feeling insulted and targeted, racially. I feel however, that most people are not insulting, and respect everyone at the school. I think the kind of student that would feel out of place at JHU are those who don't have very much interest in academics, since I feel that most students do place a high priority on that, and the school can be quite competitive at times. Most students wear jeans to class, but many girls often wear dresses, skirts and sometimes more comfortable clothing. Most JHU students are from the east coast and mid-west, I would say, and I would say that there is a mix of financial backgrounds but that most people come from middle-class families. I think that students are politically aware and active, especially during the current primary season and elections. I think the students are predominantly left, but there is also a more right-wing presence on campus.