Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

Overachievers.

diverse

Nerds.

...I can't think of any experience that stands out here, because pretty much everyone gets along. That's my experience. I do remember that once, a classmate said he'd been verbally abused for being Asian (which is strange, considering the high percentage of Asians here), but that was an anomaly. Students of every subgrouping interact with every other one. Just go to a party. Out of place? Students like me...but students like me would feel out of place anywhere, because what my problem is extreme shyness. Well, there's something else, too. I grew up in a place that was extremely white - that is, in elementary and middle school, the only Asians were me and my younger sister. So it was a bit of a culture shock for me to come here and see all these other Asians. And I have only a very rudimentary knowledge of Korean, so I feel a bit awkward when other Koreans (usually fluent) assume that I can understand them. But that isn't really a big deal. I'm no fashion guru, but I think it's pretty safe to guess that what people here wear are what most people in college wear. Jeans, t-shirts, sweats, etc., with a flavoring of, honestly, just about every style there is.

The first thing that comes to mind when asked to describe Hopkins students is their commitment. Most students here are very studious and hardworking, and will put a lot of time into doing well in their classes. Granted, there are still many lazy students. While students are committed to doing well, they still make time to unwind. In my opinion, there are not many cliques. I have been able to drift between many different groups of friends easily. Some people do separate themselves based on race, and the athletes generally stick together, but they still mingle with other groups. There is a gap in the economic status of many students, as most students here either pay for their education with significant aid or straight out of their pockets. As such, it can be uncomfortable for students to talk about money. Generally, I think that Hopkins is fairly diverse and laid back. People do not dress especially well, so there is not pressure to look good all the time either. It’s not uncommon to go to class in sweat pants, although many students will dress nicely anyways. Ultimately, I feel that almost any type of person can find a place at Hopkins where they are comfortable.

I think JHU is very open to all different types of people. There aren't as many minorities as I thought there would be, however there are some. Most students wear jeans and a polo to class, as the majority of Hopkins students are wealthy upper class. The four tables in the dining hall are: the athletes, the black kids, the asian kids, and a table of sorority/fraternity kids. People don't "mix" well, groups are created and then boundaries aren't crossed. A lot of students are from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Maryland. A lot are from California too. The majority of students are really wealthy, as they wouldn't be able to afford to go here if they weren't. It's not really a good school for you unless you're really poor so you'll get lots of financial aid or you're rich and don't need it. It's not geared for middle class students. Yes, it's a constant in conversation that someone will bring up the "i'm going to be your boss/make millions of dollars". Politically it's split between republicans and democrats. It's not really a concern, as most people are trying to get better grades.

When I was at JHU, homosexuals and African Americans seemed to me to be marginalized. But I have no idea if that's the case today. Asian Americans seemed to be very visible. Generally speaking, it was a very conservative campus. There was an abundance of pearls, polo shirts and j. crew but among various groupings, there was still quite a bit of cross over just because the school was so small. I doubt there would such mixing in a large university, such as Columbia, Harvard or Berkeley, for example. Students mostly ate with their housemates as the freshman housing system really promotes comraderie. Students don't really talk about how much they will earn one day. Most are focused on their classes and interestes, and assume jobs and earning potential will fall into place.

There are a wide variety of student groups on campus, some are significantly more organized or involved than others. Hopkins is full of overachievers, so those who are intimidated easily would not feel comfortable here. If you are ambitious and self-motivated, you can be successful but you have to pursue opportunities because nothing will be handed to you. Most students seem to be from the East Coast with some from the West and fewer from the middle of the country.

The student body seems to mesh well. There are not too many "cliques" and racial groups are not always known to "stick together". It is a very diverse campus, and my experience has been that I have friends from all different backgrounds. There is a group for any type of student out there -- thus, I do not believe sort of student would be neglected.

Hopkins is very diverse. Not just in the sense that there are many races, places, and religions represented on campus (although that is true), but people have very different attitudes, hobbies, interests, etc. The only thing "typical" of Hopkins students is that they are driven to do well.