Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

While the food at Hopkins has drastically improved in the last couple of years, there is a lack of choices. In particular for upperclassmen who do not want to eat in the dining hall, there is only one other eating venue that serves dinner. Off-campus, there are quite a few options and as Charles Village expands it gets better and better. A starbucks, Chipotle, and Coldstone were recently established and there is a Subway and University Market which are both open 24/7. Besides the small problems with the dining menu and venues, the Hopkins adminstration does its best to satisfy the student body. When the students complain, things change. When people complained about paying for the internet, the next year the policy was changed and now the internet is included. We are proud students and President Brody and his wife are campus favorites. They are involved, friendly, and nice enough to live on campus with the undergraduates. Hopkins students are proud, but willing to speak their minds and although they are not the friendliest bunch, if you are outgoing enough you will make a ton of friends and have a great time.

The perfection of the manicured grounds and symetrical mirror imaged buildings, resembles just a sliver of the larger culture at Hopkins. I chose hopkins because it would force me to find my most efficient form and grow to estabilsh myself in a field that would make a difference for society. Hopkins also showed me that you could be uptight person in school, while still having a great time at partys and bars. The student body has a small but interesting community of kids smart, or so good at cheating the sysytem that they could graduate on time and still party.

I love this school because it makes you independent. There is a wealth of resources here in terms of facilities and professors and opportunities,but you have to grab them--and there's a lot of support for that. Students are very independent minded and most come in knowing at least what they want to major in; many already know the ultimate career paths they'd like to take, so think about that in terms of atmosphere. The faculty here interact with the students through the SGA and through smaller,more intimate student forums/gatherings, which is really nice.

Ten years down the road I see myself a succesful plastic surgeon, reconstructing the faces of burn victims and ameliorating cleft lips. My acceptance to Hopkins served as the gateway to my desired future. Hopkins is an oasis for opportunities in medical research, and a deeper and different kind of learning. Here, I cannot survive by simply memorizing. Here, I must truly understand the root of the problem and all of its aspects to solve the problem. Here, I grow into a more cultured individual to better serve the world and live a fulfilling life.

At the end of my freshman year, I was thisclose to transferring, but I decided not to, and I'm really happy I didn't. I wanted to leave because I hadn't made such good friends, and I missed my friends in New York, and I figured I could get more out of a different school. In the end, I decided the amazing academic environment here wasn't worth leaving, and I didn't transfer, and it was a great decision.

Despite the fact that Hopkins is in the heart of Baltimore city, it is very safe and has a peaceful look to it. The undergrad size is perfect and when walking around campus, i believe it is a pretty site. Also, a major reason for deciding JHU is that it is close to home which sometimes I like to go to and relax when I am too stressed out from the competition and workload.

Johns Hopkins offers so many great opportunities when it comes to getting involved. Whatever you interests, whether they are musical, athletic, and especially academic, Hopkins has it. Starting out as a freshman, you are able to apply and join research, labs, and even have the opportunity to work with published and highly esteemed faculty and professionals at the school.

Hopkins is unique from other schools with similar academic reputations because there is very little competition between students for grades. Everyone is very willing to assist others with understanding material, and the atmosphere on campus is one of intense learning but also of cooperation.

I was very intimidated when I applied only because Johns Hopkins University has such a well known name and I knew all of the students and faculty were at the top of the profession, but once I started school, everyone was so nice, friendly, and willing to help me succeed.

There are so many opportunities for success outside of the classroom. Many professionals are guest lecturers in classes and allow students to apply for internships for hands-on experience.