Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

Some of my favorite classes were in international politics and taught by SAIS professors visiting the undergrad campus. The level of energy and impressive caliber of the international relations department as well as its recognition around the world were major factors in my choosing it as a major in my junior year. Education at JHU is geared towards finding what interests you. For the students who really want to find that passion, the opportunities are there.

My major (Anthropology) is misunderstood, even at a prestigious university like Johns Hopkins. So it has become my impromptu crusade to educate everyone I meet that while Archaeology IS a BRANCH of Anthropology, it does not cover the entire field of Anthropology. But other than that I love my major. The department's requirements are really flexible, which allows me to take almost all the quirky, off-topic classes which interest me.

Classes seem to be either really huge or really small but nothing in between. Almost all of the language or upperlevel humanities classes are small and the professors are really involved in the class, but most of the introductory classes and science classes are huge, graded by TA's, and the professors will never know your name. It seems that most Hopkins students use their degrees to get into grad school.

i've loved classes here, i've had really great professors, and i absolutely believe that, at least in the non pre-med world, students can have as much or as little interaction with profs as they want - it's their choice to benefit from the great minds teaching here.

Its all about reaching out to professors. They are there --and most want to help.