Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

JHU, like U Chicago, is "where fun goes to die." Supposedly, everyone here is pre-med, all our parents are doctors, and we're ridiculously competitive. Everyone not from New Jersey or Maryland is from California. Baltimore hates JHU, but we own half the city so they can't do much about it. The City Paper is staffed by Hopkins. The Hopkins Press publishes the writing teachers who otherwise would not find a publisher. Baltimore is a horrible city. Everyone here is depressed and the Counseling Center is always clogged. Student Health can do nothing for you if you're not pregnant. In certain circles, JHU kids, especially the 19-year olds, are seen as parasites on the city's real night life.

- Students can be hard to approach for people with non-mainstream points of view (but who is not anyways?) - People somehow all know the right places to go to find e.g. researches, advisors, volunteering opportunity, but they don't always share their info too readily. - We all respect each other's privacy, so you can be as open or shunted as you want.

A stereotype at Hopkins is that we are all cutthroat people that will do anything to succeed. Yes, we are dedicated and driven students. I have NEVER encountered anyone who tried to make me fail so that they could do better. In fact, I have done a lot of work in groups where people definitely try to help others understand the material.

It is a common belief that everyone at Johns Hopkins is pre-med. Another related belief is that everyone is cutthroat, and will go to extremes such as hiding books in the library, stealing notebooks, and refusing to help others in order to secure a good grade.

That all kids that go here are pre-med. Completely false! As a matter of fact, International Studies is the most popular major here. There is a vast array of majors as well, from Political Science to Writing Seminars to Public Health.

Work-aholics, full of Asians, no one parties, everyone is/wants to be a doctor, the students are rich, the professors don't care about the students only their own research

1. Everyone is nerdy. 2. Everyone is going to be a doctor or at some point wanted to be a doctor and failed. 3. People are too competitive.

Everyone is socially retarded and awkward, we're all a bunch of cutthroat asians who sabatoge each other's school careers to get ahead

The major stereotype about JHU is that it is where fun goes to die, and that JHU students are a bore and very competitive.

People think we're all huge nerds, really competitive and studious, and spend all of our time in the library.