Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

the classes are pretty hard if you're in science. thats probably true anywhere. people will inevitably ask you if you're going to be a doctor if you tell them you're going to JHU, please just get used to it, it really isn't that big of a deal. the biggest controversy involved a fraternity that inadvertently came off racist, but that was over a year ago and thankfully is done with. there is school pride when it come to lacrosse, which is really fun.

I really have enjoyed my time at Hopkins. It has been able to expand my horizons and offer several unique opportunities. The size is just right, large enough that there are still people you haven't met but you can always find a friendly face around. The social life is surprisingly good and there is usually something going on during the weekends. School pride is mainly focused around Lacrosse, but there have been good turnouts for other sports.

Hopkins is a perfect size for anyone who likes seeing familiar faces, but doesn't necessarily want to meet everyone in their class during orientation. It's small enough where your adviser will know who you are, but big enough that you're always meeting new people. It's also pretty convenient to get around without needing a car because there are shuttles running all over the city, as well as the MARC train to DC and other places in Baltimore.

JHU has a gorgeous campus. The buildings are brick and beautiful and the foliage looks beautiful, even in the winter. People are usually impressed that I go to Hopkins (even though they normally assume I mean that I'm in the med school...). I spend most of my hanging out time at Hillel, where I am actively involved (Jewish group on campus). A lot of people hang out in the library, I'm not kidding. Hopkins is really nerdy.

When I tell people I go to Hopkins they ask me what type of doctor I want to be. Just because we have the greatest medical school in America does not mean that's all we have to offer. As an IR major I have access to some of the greatest minds in the nation. Social sciences and humanities are often overlooked because of the great natural science reputation. We're actually top ten for a lot of humanities programs.

Gorgeous campus, particularly at night. Close to major cities on the East Coast, (45 min from D.C. by train, 2 hours from NYC by train) top-notch academics, (our international studies and writing seminars programs are both among the top in the country in addition to all the science-type things one would expect) friendly people.

The best thing about Hopkins is the people. The students are talented and passionate; they are super fun. Everyday, I am amazed at the brilliance of the teachers and what I learn in class. It's really cool to be in a place where outstanding discoveries go on everyday.

Really beautiful in the spring. I think the grading of some of the classes makes things a bit more stressful than they need to be. Mostly, I love it. I sometimes wish there were a bit more to do in the charles village area, but it's still an aamazing time.

I applied Early Decision and can't imagine being anywhere else. I really enjoy being here. That's not to say that some weeks are tougher than others, but I have overall enjoyed my time here.

The best part is being in a city, despite Baltimore being a rough city, there are plenty of great parts to it to discover. I would change the emphasis on research instead of learning if I could, but the emphasis is definetly on research and undergraduates are left to fend for themselves. Learning is not the goal, making money is. Which I don't agree with. The school is small, but it's nice because you get to know people. People always are impressed when they hear I go to Johns Hopkins or they've never heard of it or they refuse to call it Johns Hopkins and ask me if "John Hopkins is a good doctor school". Most of my time is spent either sleeping or in the library. A fair amount of time is spent in the weight room or the gym too. A significant portion of my time is spent in PJs as well (a local bar). Baltimore is a collegetown, however, it is difficult to meet people from local schools and Hopkins is known for being snobby and looking down on local schools, so the people kinda hate us. JHU's administration is really frustrating, they don't seem to care about the students, mostly just on making money. It's something you can't really understand or know about until you arrive on campus and experience it for yourself. If you have a lot of money you may never notice it, but for a lot of my friends they are taking out huge loans to be here and the administration doesn't care that we'll be 200,000$ in debt after four years of undergraduate school. It's not a priority for undergraduates to be happy. It's seen as a privilege for us to be attending THE esteemed Johns Hopkins University. School pride was surprisingly lacking, the majority of students are foremost concerned with their studies. The athletes have a lot of pride for each other, but overall pride is lacking. THe most frequent student complaint is that all the classes assign too much work and the exams are too difficult. It's very stressful and requires a TON of work to do well in classes. People are also very cutthroat. Several friends have had their notes and books stolen from the library.