Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

I don't know what the best thing here is, because half the time I hate it here and the rest of the time, it's all right. Spring Fair is pretty fun. Can't think of much at the moment (I'm rather tired). When I tell people that I go to JHU, they are usually fairly impressed. (Unfortunately, this is often followed by the question: "So you're going to be a doctor?") I'm pretty impressed, too, as I still really don't know how the hell I got in here in the first place. I don't think I'm the best person to answer these kinds of questions, but oh well. The campus is very pretty. And the Harbor and Towson Town Center are nearby, which is nice when you have free time. I usually don't unless I force it, but I think that's the case for most people here. Probably at a lot of colleges. I wonder a bit about the ability or wisdom or sanity of the administration, if only because they decided to implement a drastic scheduling change in the middle of the school year. Up through last semester, classes were either MTW, or ThF. And I hated the engineers who could play with their schedules and give themselves four-day weekends. As of this semester, classes are now MWF or TTh, like most other schools. We'd heard about this plan maybe two or three years ago, and then it sort of faded away. So the change was very sudden, and the timing just seems strange to me. But it happened, so whatever.

When I tell people I go to Hopkins, they're like wow, that's a good school. It's nice, but sometimes annoying when people automatically think that all you do is study and that you're probably pre med. I spend most of my time in my dorm, and a lot of that is studying with friends, because thats what we call "socializing" here. There are no controversies here, because no one cares about anything. The student body is apathetic. It's unbelievable. We had a controversy here last year about a fraternity's party, and different groups tried to have demonstrations, but no one showed up. There's also no school pride. No one really goes to sports events. We have the best lax team in the country, and there are still kids that won't go to the games because they have too much homework. And other than lacrosse, people really don't go to any games. I feel like that's my biggest problem with Hopkins: students here don't seem to care about or like the school. The administration is fine.. we don't see them much. We live in a city with a lot of schools, but we don't take advantage of it. People barely leave campus. Mostly this is because you can't get around easily without a car. People are also not very spontaneous, so maybe that's the reason. Everyone always either has too much work on a saturday or thinks they have too much work.

This school has wonderful opportunities for any individual. My favorite thing about Hopkins is that it is very easy to craft your college experience to be whatever you want it to be. The system of distribution requirements makes double, or even triple, majoring miraculously doable, allowing students to pursue diverse interests. Even beyond academics, the student population is so diverse that it is easy to find people to relate to. There aren’t many cliques; even those in different Greek organizations get along well. It also has a small, liberal arts college feel, while still offering valuable opportunities only available at a research institution, like generous research grants. It's also big enough to where students can meet someone new almost every day, but the community still feels tight-knit. While classes can be difficult and stress does accumulate for everyone sometimes, there are still many outlets to have fun that make the college experience at Hopkins very manageable. There are also many ways to relax, like laying on "the beach," a large grassy area at the front of campus on sunny days with friends. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my experience at Hopkins, both academically and socially.

Small private school. You end up seeing everybody you know and getting to know people you don't eventually after a year or two, if you even venture to try. Otherwise, the only excuse for not meeting people is being holed up in your room. My friend circles overlap, but that's just because I spent a lot of time on my social life at Hopkins instead of studying, which you need to do 24/7 if you want to hack it at this school. The most successful kids who come out of here are the ones that are crazy about every academic or extracurricular pursuit they choose. They live and breathe it, and therefore have no use for outside fun. If that isn't you - if you like a little bit of everything at a chillax pace, then don't go here. Hopkins is intense, and it's a struggle just to make it through all four years. That said, if you're crazy intense, and want to be surrounded by like-minded dorks, then this could be the perfect place for your undergraduate career.

Johns Hopkins has a little of something, for a little of the everyone you'll find on and off campus. There is a school of engineering and a school for the arts and sciences, so between the two, there are plenty of classes from which to choose, and many excited classes to take with equally exciting faculty members. Unlike common perceptions of big research institutions, Hopkins has an unbelievably accessible administration, full of eager staff, up to and including the deans, who will help students navigate any and all problems they may come across in their time in Baltimore. In this respect, Hopkins is a truly remarkable place. Sports aren't very big on campus with the exception of Lacrosse, which is huge, thanks to our Division I, National Championship-winning team, that frequently draws a full stadium to its games in the Spring season. It's to get excited about, and Homecoming is an attraction for current and former students alike.

So, JHU, all-around, great university, great experiences; academically challenging, but ultimately rewarding. I've certainly met some people I never hope to lose touch with, I've had some moments I'll never forget, and I've had some classes and lectures that have completely changed my outlook on life. Although I am pre-med, I have tried my best to explore the various disciplines I won't really get the chance to in medical school, including physics, mathematics, and anthropology. Freshman year was absolutely amazing; one of my favorite experiences was living in the AMRs, really living very closely to a group of peers over the course of one year. I've spent a lot of my time at Hopkins as a member of the JHU Muslim Association and the Interfaith Center.. meeting people from my own faith and others which can simulatenously express such diversity and commonality was enlightening.

I think this school is a wonderful place. Specifically, Hopkins allows you to pursue academic interests which makes a unique college experience. As an Applied Mathematics and Physics major, the school's absence of a core has allowed me to focus on my passions. That being said, there are aspects of the school I'd like to change. Specifically, most math and science classes are at 8am and have quite a large lecture size so there seems to be an absence of professor student interaction. I love the fact that going to Hopkins has allowed me to form friendships and close relationships with faculty on this campus.

You get respect for having attended Hopkins. I chose it because it was a relatively small self-contained liberal arts school with the major city amenities and internship opportunities of Washington DC nearby. The environment promoted an informal and friendly atmosphere among professors and classmates. My most memorable experiences were with the friends I made in my freshman dorm. I remember there were always parties, social events and opportunities do those silly and crazy things that you only really do in college.

The best thing about JHU is the people. The students are amazing individuals, and I am inspired and honored to be apart of this student body. It is the perfect size to make a mark with my own passion if desired. If I could change one thing about Hopkins, it would be that students should take no more than 16 credits per semester. Most people react positively when I tell them I attend Hopkins because it is academically a very prestigious institution.

The campus is really nice and it is a good size to get to know a lot of people but not so small that you have to see the same people all the time. Research is emphasized but often difficult to get initially, once you have a lab however, it is easy to get more research experience/ published. Students are really involved in their groups on campus but do not have a lot of schoolwide pride in athletics or other groups.