Johns Hopkins University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Johns Hopkins University

Simone

Not bad overall.

Vincent

There are many things to love and many things to want to improve at the school, however, for me and everyone else at Johns Hopkins University, this is the perfect place to be. The community and the academics are so important and strong, even if you feel like there isn't a place for you on campus, other people who feel the same way or don't would find you and make you feel at home. There are so many clubs on campus because everyone is passionate about something, whether it comes to the arts, politics, comedy, or just inner-tubing, there is going to be someone else in the school that shares the same interest, leading to a formation of a club. The school has the resources and the confidence to let almost any appropriate club to exist because they understand that curiosity and fun are at the core of any academics. The majority of the community does not come from the Baltimore area, and many are not even from the United States, yet, everyone feels at home when they're here. While our school is sorely lacking because the sports teams, besides lacrosse, are in D3; high pressure academics; and complicated politics in the surrounding region; the school and the community of Baltimore County work together to make the school and the county a pleasant place to work, study, and play. If it comes to a cause that the community cares deeply about everyone will join together in spirit or in person to support a cause. If someone needs help with their homework or just needs an alternative explanation for a complex physics question, there is going to be someone right next door who can help or knows someone who can and is willing to help. So despite the lack of a Hollywood College experience, the academics and the ideology of the students bring us all together into a community of cooperation. It is true that academics are cut-throat and challenging, however, everyone is experiencing the same amount of pressure and the same amount of work. We work because the challenge and the work stimulates us. The lack of a COMMON CORE is liberating because it is just another example of how curiosity and fun are at the core of academics. We are all encouraged to break barriers and pursue our interests, not the interests of an admissions officer or a future boss. Those things come with time and will come from pure curiosity. While our school is far from perfect, and our mascot, the blue-jay, is creatively named Jay, we take pride in our academics and community. The opportunities are endless as long as we aim towards a goal that we set for ourselves, knowing that we will always have a nest waiting for us when we are in trouble or when we want to give back to the community that helped us reach that point.

Anne

I love everything about it. There isn't a school that I'd rather go to! Hopkins is a home away from home.

Kiley

I am very happy with my decision to attend Johns Hopkins University; happy enough to even be a campus tour guide and overnight host for prospective student. The amount of opportunities students have at Johns Hopkins is incredible. Such as study abroad options, labs, internships, amazing professors, and more.

Jimmy

I'm a rising sophomore, and so far, it's been a blast!!! This is school has so many opportunites you'll be blown away. From surgical robots to a famous theatre actor teaching drama classes, you won't miss out on much. Double majors and switching majors is incredibly common here - if you come here, you don't have to make up your mind on what you want to do. I came in a Computer Engineer and had a lot of fun in my classes, but ultimately decided to switch into Public Health. Opportunities in Baltimore are numerous as well. Nowhere else can you participate in political protests in the city where the Freddie Gray incident happened, or where you can walk down Inner Harbor and enjoy the view of the bay. It's a wonderful city, and don't let the horror stories scare you away. As long as you exercise common sense (e.g. don't walk around in dark alleyways after sunset), you will be fine. The people here are some of the brightest and motivated people that you will meet. I've met friends that I consider family now here, and I've only been through freshman year :) You won't lack for things to do with your friends, not with the huge variety of cultural events and performance showcases every weekend. Like any university, it has its downsides. For one, grade deflation is real and the pressure to maintain a high GPA is very real. I've never felt like I'm competing against other students, but rather against an administration that doesn't listen to its students often, and against some of the hardest grading you'll see out there. It's easy to get lost in the library and study 24/7 and forget to do things like sleep, take a walk outside, and talk to your friends. And like most universities, mental health does not get the attention it deserves. The counseling center is great and I've used their services many times, and I highly recommend them, but it still feels like a stigma. But as long as you remember to take care of yourself, you will have an absolutely wonderful time here. And remember, no matter where you end up going, you get to decide what to make of your time. Whether you go to community college, your state university, or here at Hopkins, you have the power to make the most of it. Good luck on your apps!!!

Victoria

Love hopkins!

Abiodun

Although I am only in my first semester of freshman year, I can say with confidence that Johns Hopkins University is where I am meant to be. It's not always peaches and sunshine, but I think that's the beauty in the school. There are stressful times and there are fun times. An aspect of Hopkins I really cherish is the fact that all students are so passionate about various things, be it their major, their hometown, or our country's state of affairs. It breeds an environment of constant learning outside of the classroom about cultures, identities, and struggles of students, faculty, and staff. There are times when you feel like you're almost in a bubble of sorts, shielded from the outside world because of how secluded the campus is in the city of Baltimore, but there are plenty of ways to get off campus, most of these being free! I am thankful to attend such a great institution where I have already made life-long relationships and formed great habits for success in the future.

Cayla

I am a freshman at Hopkins this year and so far my experience with the campus resources and people who work here has been not up to par. Some of the people are friendly but overall Hopkins really doesn't show that they care about the students individually. This school is all about making money and keeping a decent image. I am honestly so disappointed by the lack of urgency and customer service they show when attempting to help a student. For example, I came on the first move in day and made an appointment at the housing office to have my bed lofted at 11 am on Tuesday and no one ever showed up. In fact, I went down to the office the next day to ask why no one ever came and they did nothing about it but put me on the schedule for a later date... In my experience if you fuck up on something you should've had done you try to fix it right away I was on the list way before all of the people they did before me and it ended up being really unfair because they came when school started and I had to move all my stuff and it was such a huge inconvenience for a mistake THEY made! Not to mention some of the security guards in the dorms are assholes who don't really care about keeping the campus safe rather than being jerks and making you jump through a lot of hoops for simple shit. Like one of them knew I lived in the building because I had just talked to him about picking up an ID my friend left in my room and it was a quick question so I forgot to bring my J card with me to swipe by the bars they put up right in front of the elevator so since I literally walked like 4 feet away from the bars to ask him a question I didn't think it would be a big deal if I walked in behind someone else who had there card especially considering everyone does it because the bars take forever to go back down and of course he said I couldn't do it and I had to go through a long ass process for getting a card so I could swipe up get my card and come back down to give them the card they gave me. What he did was not securing the building because like I said I not only walked by him a bunch of times but I also just walked through the bars to ask a question and go back to my dorm! I wrote an email to the director of safety explaining how unnecessary and rude it was for him to do that and he apologized to me for the inconvenience. Not to mention, when you first arrive here its almost like not even being in college they treat you like you're at summer camp and have like full day meetings and lectures going on that are apparently mandatory for the entire orientation week. It was so tiring and I didn't even show up to half the stuff because the information was repetitive. Oh and you would think since you pay like $60,000 a year to go here that some of the services would be "free" (not really since the tuition is so high) like printing and copying lol no you have to pay for that and literally everything else...they don't even give you a complimentary T-shirt when you get here. Overall the only things I like about Hopkins are the location, the fact that it is a top university, and some of the people I met.

Alexa

Great School, better fit for me that i could even have imagined :)

Carissa

It's JHU, what's not to love? No, seriously. Even though I'm in the Graduate program, my husband works for JHU and they are very proactive with just about everything from student safety to extracurricular activities. The campus is gorgeous and you couldn't find a better location - right next to the Baltimore Museum of Art, a few miles from downtown Baltimore and tourist attractions.

Sophie

I really like the student body of the class. People are very diverse and open to new ideas and perspectives. The science department is amazing, such as the BME and public health program. The campus food is okay. It’s not the best since they keep on reusing the same menu. The students are very politically active, which I love. I think there is a disconnect between the student body and administration which I hope to see change over my time here.

Sophie

I'm a student at Johns Hopkins Peabody Conservatory. I really love it here, the professors are wonderful and I get lots of training for dance. The connection between Johns Hopkins and Peabody is amazing! They work really hard to make sure that students at Peabody are able to take classes and possible major at Johns Hopkins.

Lilia

Overall, this school is great. There are chances to socialize with people, the campus is beautiful, and the classes are interesting. The academics are not the greatest. Yeah, you learn a lot, but you also sacrifice a lot of your free time and extracurricular activities. On a Friday, you are more likely to be spending the night in the library instead of out.

Maya

Good. It is very academically focused and sometimes gets too competitive academically but overall very hard courses. Baltimore food is amazing and the FFC has its good days and bad days. Overall a good school that my friends loved attending a few years ago.

M

While I attended Hopkins, I participated in Greek life and several admissions student groups. The lectures and laboratory classes were rigorous; I will never forget my organic chemistry practical which at the moment seemed like I was on a reality show similar to "Survivor". Greek life on campus does help you balance the intense work load with fun activities. These activities range from community outreach, event planning for philanthropy, and mixers with other greek organizations. The greek life at Hopkins is unique, because it really serves to connect you with students with completely separate interests in academics and extracurricular activities. I helped organize orientations and regularly gave campus tours, where I honestly described my experiences. At Hopkins, class sizes are large in introductory courses-with the exception of writing courses, but as you reach your junior and senior year, class sizes begin to shrink and focus on discussion. Hopkins has recently made major upgrades to their on-campus study areas. Brody Learning Commons completed in 2013 and Gilman hall completed just a few years prior to that, have added some great study spaces. On-campus housing is available freshman and sophomore year, but not guaranteed you junior and senior year. The University does their best to connect you to buildings nearby. I would really suggest visiting campus, it is the best way to find out if Hopkins is the best place for you.

Roxanna

very stressful environment and demanding academics but it provides great opportunities to its students

Russell

Johns Hopins is such a good school as it offers many activities to do inside of school. You get to explore and discover many new things daily that will amaze you. I currently visited Johns Hopkins and it just fascinate me by how many things it has too offer. This is ultimately my dream school!!!!!!!

I feel more "at home" as an online master's student at JHU than I ever did during my time as an undergraduate at URI. All my classmates are highly intellegent, easy to work with, and always willing to help with career questions. Most of my professors have bent over backwards to help their students become better environmental science and policy students and I have formed great relationships with them as well, despite lack of in-person interactions.

Kathryn

Johns Hopkins has a good reputation, but I often find myself questioning the caliber of the program I am currently enrolled in. I recognize that my program is part-time, and geared towards working professionals, but the intelligence and work ethic of my fellow students often makes me question whether my eventual degree will truly have the clout I am hoping it will. At times, it is hard to see myself as little more than a cash cow.

Jason

Johns Hopkins Carey School of business is a well structured, challenging and unique program. The majority of professors are knowledgeable and dedicated to their students; however, like any university, Johns Hopkins is guilty of employing professors who do little more than read PowerPoint slides. The curriculum provides a solid base for students with little or no academic or business experience. I recommend Johns Hopkins to potential MBA students.

Ailsa

I love this school, however the social scene is a little challenging. Joining a sorority, though I didn't want to at first, definitely helps this. Academics are extremely rigorous. Saying this, the professors are very accessible and want you to succeed for the most part.

Morgan

For those interested in the STEM majors, this school is perfect. There are humanities programs as well, but they are not as significant here. Classes are generally very difficult and professors tend to load the work. There are plenty of resources to help out, from advisors to tutoring programs and more.

Maddie

I have found a good niche at this school and have made it work to my needs. I think Hopkins has made an extreme effort to tailor itself to a variety of students. The administration does not always respond to its students needs in a timely or effective manner, but with the more recent student protests, the administration is giving students more power to affect campus policies. Students rely too heavily on Greek life to socialize, but with the newly enforced strict regulations on Greek life, it's slowly dying. Academics come first, but students either work collaboratively or alone. There is no peer sabotage when it comes to grades; kids are too busy and overworked to be cutthroat. Students are engaged with the community; the Hopkins administration is comparatively not.

Netanya

It is a great school with not only an exceptional academic program, but the class size and professors really make it so that you feel special and get the attention that you need. The campus is beautiful, with the Beach there is always a grassy place to study, or take a nap.

Ann

It is a great academic institute. The professors are phenomenal, and the class sizes are small enough where everyone participates and knows each other, but big enough that if you have an off day you don't have to contribute to the conversation. The financial aid can be a bit of a nightmare to navigate with them, but I suspect that it's the same everywhere.

I love Johns Hopkins University overall. It is an inclusive campus, with much to do. The high expectations for academics keep me focused and disciplined, in a great way. The food is above many other college campuses I've seen as well. Definitely a wonderful school!

Danielle

I attend the East Baltimore campus, which is the Bloomberg School of Public Health. The campus designers have done an incredible job incorporating the values of public health into every aspect of the building. From the food and dining options to the lighting and open study spaces, the East Baltimore campus truly embodies public health initiatives that are being taught in the classrooms. The faculty is extremely approachable and the educational material is not only applicable to my career, but also my daily life. I look forward to each new class and have already seen so much value in the material that I've learned.

Travis

I think this school offers amazing opportunities academically and in research. There is really nothing you can't study here and it is very easy to find hands on experience in various job fields. The staff and faculty work to great lengths to prepare anyone who wants to learn for the world beyond. The student body, however, is not quite so open. Many social groups do not interact with each other and there is an sense of unnecessary rude behavior between peers that stems from what some people make an all out fight for success. Any student looking to attend the school should be prepared for this but should also know that it is also easy to find people who share your interest and will help you out. It just takes effort and you can't expect it from any passerby.

Tiffany

The intellectual level of everyone around is astounding, and the opportunity to access high caliber academics is abounding. However, the debt accrued at this university is possibly drowning. The professors amaze. The students are never in a daze. The work is hard, and learning how to have a good work-life balance is always part of the craze. There are long nights of study and weekends of fun, but all student must learn the importance of showing themselves some love. This school might be for you if you are artistic, scientific, or intellectually gifted. Acceptance to this university is a privilege; yet saved for those who seek to serve globally and locally. The atmosphere is diverse with some buildings so old that they are possibly cursed. The food is bland, the culture amazing, the students hard-working, the number of clubs and activities dazing. The streets are busy, the police always on alert; just don’t be caught outside alone at night (that could hurt). Be smart. Be safe. Dangers exist, but it’s a city like any other city on the country's list. The gym is small. The library immense. The campus historic. Coming here for the medical opportunities just makes sense. You can witness surgeries, walk in the art gallery, study 24/7 in the library, shuttle downtown, hang at the pubs, or volunteer anywhere and show this artistic city some love. The pros are many. Some cons exist too, but overall attending Johns Hopkins University has been my dream come true. So, research the website, ask the students, call the advisors, and visit the city because the wrong fit in college is too often a pity. The best fit for you will be the best college you see, within the budget you have, that offers the experiences you need.

Dhruva

Overall, Johns Hopkins University provides a welcoming environment for all its students. Filled with many activities to do on and off campus you will never get bored. While it may be known for its superior academics, we all are ready to represent our school on game day!

Ann

It is extremely intimidating during

Tyra

JHU has tremendous research opportunities for undergraduates, top-notch researchers and professors from all over the world, and great flexibility for students who want to study lots of different things. Hopkins of course is reputed for its phenomenal medial school, but it is also home to the #1 school of public health, ties with Harvard for its school of education, has a great International Studies program, and many other wonderful departments in engineering, humanities, and the social and natural sciences. Students study hard here (sometimes to excess) but for those who wish to get a great amount of learning out of their undergraduate career, Hopkins is a good fit. As a plus, the campus is well-sized and beautiful.

Ben

JHU is a wonderfully diverse university, with a legendary academic standard. I chose to pursue a graduate degree here, because of the helpful atmosphere and care for the students. JHU makes you feel right at home, with professors that truly understand you values and motivation.

Suyeon

There's no doubt that the workload here can be a bit overwhelming at times, but the smaller class sizes and encouragement to partake in team activities allow for increased collaboration amongst students, which in turn leads to better personal connections being built within the entire student body.

Ese

Johns Hopkins is an established university that never ceases to take my breath away whether it is the beautiful campus, the students who are so passionate, or the teachers that strive to lead them. The school and its people constantly makes me strive to be better.

Alpha

I love this school very much. As I am only a freshman, I haven't experienced the full breath of what Hopkins has to offer. However, I can definitely vouch for the rigorous academics, intelligent students and staff, and very passionate aura that is to be found on all parts of campus. I am excited for what they next few years at Hopkins will have to offer!

Gloria

Johns Hopkins is an incredibly multidimensional school, with lots of opportunities everywhere. Instructors are well-qualified and resources outside of the classroom are abundant. However, there is an excessive amount of pressure to succeed. Talk of GPA's can become stressful after a while, however, it is what you make of it.

Sachin

It's a phenomenal place. I'm pre-med, and I have more than enough opportunities available. Want to do research? Ask a professor. Want to volunteer? Apply for the hospital. Want to take fun classes? Decide your career path. Need help? Help is everywhere. Anything you want to do you can do. I love it here.

Joshua

I love the school. The campus and professors are great. The advisers are very helpful. My major is a little tough but its not too bad. Also the campus is very pretty. If you are thinking about applying I would definitely visit the campus. The dorms are really nice too.

Josh

Johns Hopkins University is a great academic school with many different opportunities for its students. However, I feel that they sometimes put too much emphasis on research and academics, creating an overall culture where everyone feels the need to be studying all the time.

Seyvonne

Johns Hopkins is an intellectually stimulating school that stretches the boundaries of its students. Students are held to high academic standards and are encouraged to participate in numerous extracurricular activities and volunteer. Many students do research on campus or on the medical campus and are actively involved with clubs of their passions. Overall, it's a great campus to learn and grow.

Ronish

I loved my entire experience at Hopkins. Right from day 1 till the last day has memories that I cherish. I loved the classes and discussions that we had, loved the pre or post classes discussions with my classmates and friends, and professors were always ready to help us. PS. I am MSF graduate.

Rahze

The Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University strives to cultivate an environment in which "aspiring artists with the skills to pursue professional careers in music and the education to become leaders in the cultural life of their communities". By offering access to the highest ranking professionals in related fields, and boasting the internationally acclaimed reputation of JHU, in many ways, Peabody meets that mark, and exceeds it. However, the institution is far from perfect. Every day, Peabody students work in order to make Peabody a more inclusive, more diverse, and more well-rounded institution. By creating student lead organizations like the Black Student Union and PRISM (an organization modeled after the GSA), Peabody we demonstrate our commitment to social justice and positive change that includes all people of disadvantaged and marginalized identities. THIS type of environment, coupled with the world class instruction of professors, is what makes Peabody great,

Olivia

This school is a well kept and very nice overall seem like very support and caring people for the most part and student are well taught and taught to professors are kind and well informed staff as well are kind and supportive and give a great run down of everything and expectations overall I love the school and its vibe

Alesandra

I was there in an academic program for high school students who are interested in the medical field. The cafeteria food was amazing. The campus felt very safe. It was a beautiful and clean campus. I enjoyed my stay and am considering Hopkins as a college of my choice.

Ariel

Johns Hopkins is without a doubt a phenomenal school. The school's dedication to research and their willingness to let undergrads have a place within research programs is also astounding. On top of that, the school's lacrosse team is very impressive.

Johns Hopkins University is an excellent opportunity and allows its students to learn in all aspects of their days. Beyond the classroom there are countless opportunities to join activities and find peers with similar interests. Overall it is a wonderful experience and is the place to move on to the next stage of your life.

Roger

Johns Hopkins University is world-renowned in research. When I think of Johns Hopkins University, I think of Henrietta Lacks and her immortal cells. She inspired me to major in Biotechnology with a focus on regenerative cells and Stem Cell research.