Johnson & Wales University-Providence Top Questions

Riley

If i could give myself any advice as a high school senior i would say: Dear Riley, Seriously, stop stressing so much. This is such an exciting time in your life, learn to enjoy it because everything else is going to fall into place. Lighten up, learn to lean on those around you, they only want to help and don't worry about working so hard, you will be able to buy a newer car with the money you have saved, and you will be very broke after you do but it will be much better than driving the screaming metal death trap that you did before. Also, take the time to apply for more scholarships, school is VERY expensive. Smile more, it will be a tough summer trying to prepare and adjust for the upcoming year but you will survive it, I promise.

Alyssa

I would tell myself that it is O.K. to be nervous, and that I will, no matter what, enjoy what I am doing. I would also mention to myself to try harder to find a job so I could have started saving money for loans.

marilyn

go foward and pursuit your dreams

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would never miss that opportunity. I would tell myself that it is perfectly okay to not know what I want to do just yet, and not stress too much over it. I would tell myself that college is a great time and a wonderful opportunity. I would tell myself that college will be so different than you would expect, and so many opportunities will come to you. I would tell myself to keep my head up, and keep motivated for you have a long road ahead, but it will be a beautiful journey with exciting changes.

Nathan

The best advice I could give myself, back as a high school senior, is simply to take advantage of everything that you can. Every organization, club, sports team, take advantage of it. Also, get those grades up. Do the best you can, not just so you can graduate, so you can get into a good well respected college. Be careful with your money too, save as much as you can. And remember, time is limited. Once it goes by, you cannot get it back, which is why you have to take advantage of every opptornity you can get. Formulate a plan, and stick to it, and make sure this plan is realistic, and set a path to reach your goals. Also, when you get back from all that military training, do not waste any time. Begin immeditally applying to colleges, and do not get stuck working a job with little room for growth. Just remember, time not utalized is time lost, and you can never get it back. Keep pushing for your goals, be smart with your money, and keep your grades up.

Joseph

Study what you want to, not what your parents would like you to study, it will only put you and your family through undesired debt and a lot of wasted time.

Jho

If I could go back in 2009 and talk to Jho, I would have said to drop Music Theory immediately as an elective regardless of what Mommy and Daddy said or thought. I would have told Jho to speak up and make your voice known. Even though I applied for home Ec and had to forceable drop that class because my voice nor opinion didn't mattered. I would have made stressed it and made it imparative to both parents that I do have a bright and successful future in the Food Industry. Though I never got to fully express my talents in the kitchen because of restrictions. I would have told Jho to go in faith to prepare a delicious dinner in the kitchen and surprise everyone. Regardless of the punishment for preparing dinner DO IT! Convince them, let them believe in the future you aspire and have them support you instead of pushing you over on the side. Now, if that did not work and they still did not believe, emancipate yourself immediately and start pursuing your college degree without their help instead of waiting four years and finally having the courage to do it.

Taylor

Looking back to my senior year of high school, I would have told myself to relax and have fun. I feel as if seniors in high school anticipate, rather than participate. Instead of worrying about the unknown, students should live in the moment and embrace every oppertunity that passes by. These moments are the stepping stones to the future you have always dreamed of. There will be days when you feel defeated and lost, but you must stay determined and remember that every day is a new beginning. Most importantly, you are not alone. Everyone around you is feeling a different mix of emotions, and it is up to you to find the person you can connect and find comfort with. This person, or group of people, will be your anchor for this segement of your life. Enjoy your independence, have fun, and become the person you want to be.

Katelyn

The advice i would give myself is that i really should have tried harder to make better grades to increase my gpa. Even though i had a 3.8 i would have loved to get higher to increase my rank in my class. I would have also applied to alot more scholarships then instead of now.

KElsey

I believe I would tell myself to have the courage to keep my self motivated always, and to never let others opinions bring you down. Hold your head high and do not be discouraged if you are the youngest, going to college a year early may seem like a struggle now but in the future that is a major achievement. You can not accept no for an answer if you are determined push forward always, especially if it will be benefitial to your industry experience and resume in the future. Be aware of your surroundings not all people are as nice as they may seem, you need to always be payign attention to who your friends are and if they are making decisions that you think are okay for you. People change, do not be upset if one friend is not around any more you will find many for friends and jealousy is a virtue that they need to grow out of, which luckily we realized early on, Goodluck and never let someone ruin your hopes and dreams you have potential so let it grow.

Charley

Charley I know we think we know alot, if there is some advice I can give you it is to put those hours in studying for exams. Make sure you do homework and write papers as soon as you can to prevent cramming leading to lower grades. Do not take this education for granted you have one shot and you need to stay focus and out perform those around you. You will make plenty of friends along the way and have some fun but do not stray from the path and always be planning ahead and stay organized.

Alexa

Get yourself out there! Be more adventurous in getting a job. Knowing which field I wanted to be in and knowing that it is a field that surrounds us all, should have fueled me to get a job that would give me more valuable experience within the industry. The restaurant industry is all around us, as are bakeries. I easily could have used that to get a job where I would have had more hands-on experience cooking or baking, instead of working behind the counter in a very basic food-court job and merely frosting cupcakes. Also, to keep in touch with my high school teachers beyond my first year of college. I loved a lot of my high school teachers and valued their help and opinions. Unfortunately, after my freshman year of college, I seemed to move on completely and forget about them. I wish I had kept in more contact with those that had really helped me, because those are valuable references for character and personality with much more time in the relationship than those that I will have formed at college, despite that they are industry professionals. Lastly, don't be so worried and anxious.

Natassia

If I could go back in time to my high school self, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to do more community service. Here at Johnson & Wales University, I have joined a sorority Delta Phi Epsilon, and we are always helping to give back to the community. Now that I have been a part of it, I realize how rewarding it is to help people who have less than me. In high school I had many opportunities to do community service, and I didn’t always take them. I believe that if I would have done more community service in high school, I would have had more opportunities to get money for college through scholarships. Another thing I would tell my high school self would be, to get more involved. In high school I was on the basketball team, but when the season was over I didn’t really do things around school. Now I would tell myself to go run for Class President or join the National Honor Society. Something with a leadership role, because I know I was capable of doing it, I was just too lazy to do it back then.

Kristen

Looking back on my education, experiences, troubles, successess, social life and more, I would give myself the most advice on education. Before I came to Johnson & Wales I had a strong passion for baking and pastry arts in the culinary arts field but I never really knew where the major would take me. After completing my Associates degree and studying abroad at a French pastry school, I never would have thought that I would change majors. I found my love in the culinary industry and in dietetics. I think that it is important to research something that you are really passionate about before going to college in order to save money and really take advantage of the education you are given when you get there. Starting out as a commuter saved me a lot of money and I would advise to start saving for loans as soon as college begins to avoid finance troubles like my current situation. I would also tell myself that a social life isnt just created from living on campus and partying. A social life is created from friends that want to have a great time with you and appreciate who you are.

As a college student, I have learned quite a bit about making friends, learning new things, studying hard, and pushing myself to the limit. As a high school student, these were things that I knew that I would encounter in the future. However, the main thing I did not expect to encounter was a change of heart. I have changed my major three times thus far, and if I had known to follow my heart, I would not have had to change majors so many times. If I could give advice to high school students, it would be this: follow your heart and pursue your dreams, no matter the cost. Life is too short to learn to do something you are not passionate about. Find something that you are passionate about - truly passionate - and pursue that passion with an undying desire to become what you want to become. Never quit. My favorite quote is by Confucius and it reminds me everyday that I can do anything, no matter how long it takes me, "It does not matter how slow you go, so long as you do not stop." The best advice I could give is to never give up.

abigail

If I could go back in time as a high school senior I would have told myself to save more money! It is really hard trying to pay for student loans and currently I am working two jobs to get myself through college as well as being a full time student. It is really stressful to work so much and be a full time student because I feel as though I have to work that much harder to keep my grades and GPA high so that I can get as much scholarship money as possible to help fund my education. I also would have told myself to get some more retail experience, it is so important to have experience in the field that you want to go into because it helps you get a job. Lastly, I wouldve told myself to not fear success, always put yourself out there and take a chance on reaching for your dreams no matter how far fetched they may seem to you at the time. Being turned away is part of life but the juice is always worth the squeeze, so take the chance.

Alicia

My advice to my high school self would be to get involved on campus right away. I was hesitant to get involved on campus because I was a commuter. I felt that I couldn't make connections with people who lived on campus; I was wrong. In the middle of last year, my freshman year, I learned that all I needed to do was be myself and do what I loved instead of being shy. As I became involved, the more I made friends and learned things about myself. The friends you make in college are the ones you will have for a long time after. Getting involved is great, but schoolwork is always number one. By doing study or homework groups you hang out with fun people and get work done to keep your GPA up. That would be the best advice I could give to my high school self- get involved, be yourself, and keep your grades up!

morgan

If I were able to go back in time and tell my high school senior self what I know now, I would simply say; no matter how hard it gets, don't forget to smile, there's always tomorrow. I have gone through a couple rough patches before attending college and also in the beginning. Adjusting to this new life was difficult for me, especially since I was so close to my family and friends from back home. Starting this new life, being surrounded by a million different places in a town that you are not familiar with isn't easy. The main thing that got me through my rough days was smiling and reminding myself that there is always tomorrow and that everything changes. I had no idea that I would be where I am now. I couldn't be happier with the decision I have made and the friends I have chosen. I would remind my high school senior self that struggles do not stay, they get replaced with good times.

Kelli

There are three things that i would go back and tell myself if I could;they include ignoring the people that make fun of me, to sign up for more clubs, and to have more me time. I was made fun of in high school because i have a shaking disorder called Dystonia,which is asscoiated with parkinsons. In high school people used to start rumors that i was on drugs because of the amount of shaking i did and the way i talked. The next advice i would give myself is to sign up for more clubs because i am more social than i used to be in high school, and i think communciation is a key part of being a successful. The last thing i would tell myself is that there is more to make more time for me. I would do this because now i believe that there has to be a balance in helping others and time for yourself.

Banjery

Everything you do in college will reflect towards your dream job or goal you have in life; so take it seriously and don't slack off.

Erin

After being in college for about 4 months, I have learned a few things about my self, my school, and college life in general. Moving all the way from the west coast to the east was not an easy thing for me, and it has been really hard not seeing my family the whole time. My advice to high school seniors is this: you will be homesick at some point, but if you go to school for something you love, that will distract you from it. There is also a lot more responsability, freedom and accountability in college. My best friend here thought missing a few classes wouldnt matter, but at the end of the trimester he found out it made his grades drop too low and he had to move back home. Your parents aren't here, and teachers most certainly won't treat you like children, so all the homework, studying and attendance is on you. Of course there are parties in college, and you're free to go to them, but once they start getting in the way of your classwork, you need to reevaluate your reasons for coming to college in the first place.

Michele

Do the scholarships ahead of time, work as much as possible, and have fun with what you do. The world is full of surprises, listen to those that are wisest and keep an open-mind.

Alia

I would advise high school seniors to take their time gathering as much information about career opportunities as possible because choosing a field to major in is a huge decision! They should really take the time to think about what they feel passionate about because that is a good indication of what area they will enjoy and most likely excell in. By doing this "senior year homework" students could save alot of time, money and energy. Senior year has a way of sneaking up on high school students and overwhelming them, so I would suggest that students step back and reflect on what it is they feel they could see themselves doing for the rest of their lives before time runs out! But most of all I would suggest they make the best of their senior year and highschool experiences because before they know it they will be moving on to bigger and better things!

James

The biggest thing that i would relay to my past self would be to focus more on your studies and less on socializing. Friends may leave your life but your academic performance decides the fate of the rest of your life. Another thing that I would make apparent the fact that whenever you get an assignment start on it whenever you have time so there is less work to do closer to the deadline. I had numerous projects that I did not start on until the day before the deadline so be aware that whenever you have free time work on the paper or project given to you. For the lresidential side of college the only advice that I have is get to know your roommates because they are living with you for the entire school year.

I would tell myself to seek more academic help, even if you have good grades, and just want something proofread,. I would also tell myself to figure out what things you would actually use while living at school versus what you think you might use.

Marisa

The advice that I would give myself is to put more effort and own my work. To be more specific, if I am going to hand in an assignment, stand by it 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. I wish I had put more time and integrity into my work in high school and it also would have made doing college papers a lot smoother.

Bridget

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would tell myself two things. One, to live at home. I say this because I live close by and it costs a great deal more to live at school, when it is unnecessary. I made friends all the same when I moved home and saved money. Two, I would tell myself not to stress. I worried about not fitting in and doing poorly. It is easy to fit in when you put yourself out there and try to make friends. I also accomplished more in college than in high school. I found my niche for things and have been able to do very well for myself. I would make sure I understood all of the stress is only going to drive me crazy, when in the end, college is the best thing for me.

Nathan

If I could go back in time and give some advice to myself when I was in high school, I would tell myself three things. First, I would tell myself to work as often as I could. Why? Because College is expensive, and once college starts, it is hard to find time to work. The more money one makes before starting college, the less time he will have to spend worrying about money. Second, I would tell myself to start thinking about a degree path as early as possible. If one spends ample time planning his degree, then he will save time by not taking classes that will not count for his degree. Finally, I would tell myself to do my best, and not slide by on my classes. The reason for this is that classes tend to build on previous classes. If someone does not master his current classes, then he will be lost in his future classes. In conclusion, I would tell my high-school-self to work hard, carefully plan my degree, and do my best in my classes.

Breanna

A lot of people would say that they would change who they dated and how they looked, and if maybe they did better in school. But for me I would go back and be a better sister. Yes this might sound odd but my sister is my world and also my twin. She's smart and beatiful and a all around good person. In high school I was all about myself and how popular I was that I forgot that my sisters always been my friend and by myside. She makes me laugh and smile everyday. I live 5 and a half hours away now and she still supports me and makes being homesick a lot more easier. Thank you

Desiree

You can buy a car worth thousands of dollars and it may last you a good half a decade and even more if you take care of it. Eventually though, you'll have to get another. Your education will cost you thousands of dollars, but I guaruntee it will benefit you for the rest of your life. Continuing your education is going to be extremely beneficial to you when you finally obtain that dream career you're so passionate about. When you start college you're going to be living in a gym, and it's going to be rough but you'll be okay- you become more humble because of it. When times get rough-and they will, think of that future you want so badly and why you've come so far, why you've fought this hard. Oh and- get your core classes out of the way your first year, just trust me on this one. Remember that it doesn't matter what you can do when you're fresh, what counts is what you do when you feel you can't go on anymore- that's when you see what you're made of.

Dominique

I would make sure i was prepared for this because coming into all this collage life I wasn't expecting any of this. I would tell my self to really think before I make any discions, I would tell myself not to be so worried bout making friends because everyone is friendly over here. I would remind myself that this is a big step in my life and to try my very best on everything . I would tell myself that this is the best decision I will make, and a way for me to start a new life and grow up just like I dreamed.

Kaylin

I would tell myself to work hard because it pays off. Don't get so caught up in the high school drama because once you graduate non of it matters. Take the EEP oppertunity because you will do well. Be friendly and outgoing, but mystery is also good. SUprise people with your smarts, don't be that person who s a know-it-all.

Jaryn

Hey there Jaryn! So college is just as good as you thought it would be. The people are nice, you have a great group of friends, and you're doing good in class. Just stay focused and don't forget why you're there like some people have. It might be tough at first to stay away from home and sleep in a room with strangers, but you'll get used to it..and mom will pick you up every weekend to let you make her a nice home cooked meal. Don't let any peer pressure get to you because you're doing great and some people just don't have the same passion and desire to succeed that you do. You're doing as good as mom could've hoped and you'll be proud of yourself, I promise. It will all work out.

Tyler

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself that the work load is much more difficult and that I really need to deticate myself to my school work in order to do well. Also I would tell myself not to worry about making new friends because in reality everyone is in the same boat regarding moving away from their home friends. In other words everyone begins on a new fresh page in life so just do the best you can and you will make friends and succeed.

Aniya

As a high school senior going into Johnson and Wales I would definately motivate myself to be open-minded and slower to making assumptions about people, I think its very crucial to go into freshman year of college knowing that you are now surronded by people that look different, talk different and that were even raised different so being open-minded can help you learn something new and make great friends for the future. I would also want to tell myself to stay true to who I am despite my new found freedom I wouldnt want regrets.

lindsey

Spring begins and our class room dynamic starts to change. Our classes went from learning to preparing for high school. All of our teachers talked about how hard it would be. Five page papers, no excuses, detention and loads of homework. Needless to say I was terrified, even more so since I would be going to Worcester technical high school. This was a school you had to apply to and hope to god you got accepted, it was the Ivy League equivalent of our high school choices. As an honors student I did have quite a bit of homework but it was nowhere near my daunting expectations. So when that four springs later came around and once again the dynamic changed we as a class were seasoned pros, or so we thought. They once again told us how hard it would be but this time we made the mistake of ignoring that advice. I went into my freshmen year of collage thinking it would be easy and fun and once again my teachers were over exaggerating, but this time they weren’t exaggerations. So if I had the chance to go back I would tell myself to pay attention.

Yazmyn

If could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior I would first tell myself to relax. As a senior, I was so stressed out about how college life would be and how difficult it would be to live on my own. It really was not so bad because I did make life-long friends even though I have moved away from them. Second, I would tell her that she is going to need to buckle down when she gets there and that, although she has no parental supervision, school is still her number priority and she needs to remember that and not get caught up in all of the freedom she will gain all at once. I would tell her that it will be very easy to lose herself in all of that freedom since she has not had much in high school. but she needs to stay strong and focus and it will all work out in the end. Even though I have been through all of the downs, I found my path because of those downs. I am now chasing my real dream because of that failure.

Be open to meeting new people

Lou

Back in high school, I was very goal oriented. Grades were not a problem, I took all advance courses and studied more towards science classes, and Nursing School was my “big plan”. What I did not consider was the financial portion of it. Besides giving advice to myself, First, I would like to ask, why are you not saving any money? I forgot that money was tied along with school, and I would plan a great and amazing plan, though I would forget. So, my second question is, how do you get there with no money? Yes, you worked through high school, but that was money used for fun, and being cool. Well, being cool is not important anymore. So, the advice that I would have given myself along with the two questions is, save as much as possible. It is a wiser decision to save it towards your “big plan”. High schools and colleges do not always talk about costs, tuition, and other financial needs, so it is easily forgettable. Even if money is a problem, do not let it stop you from your “big plan”. There are great options to help, and use them to your advantage.

Elena

JWU is know as America's career university because its curriculum incorporates the career objectives of its students and the needs of industry. It doesn't matter what path you choose studing business, culinary arts, hospitality, technology or arts & science, through dynamic hands-on experiences and exciting courses, you will get the knowledge, training and skills you need as you explore your full potential. Their teaching staff dedicated to help each student mee their personal and professional goals. Many of our instructors also have years of industry experience, which they incorporate into everyday classroom studies. Education should be important to everybody. Any freshmen will have wonderful experience at JWU. The summer before your junior or senior year, our Career Explorations program lets you spend time at JWU trying a career on for size. JWU has 4 campuses in 4 states. Beyond the campus, each dynamic city has its own blend of culture and events, from music and professional sports to recreation, shopping and dining. No matter what kind of student life experience you’re looking for — big or small, east or west, mountains or ocean — you can experience it at JWU.

Erin

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to break out of my shell and be more social, and to get more involved in extracurricular activities. During my first year at college, I was shy and afraid to talk to people. Making friends is not easy when you sit alone in your room all day! The school had so many different activities to get involved in, but I did not take advantage of that and I feel like I missed out on socializing and just plain fun! In addition to that, I would tell myself to calm down and go with the flow. I was a nervous wreck being away from home for the first time, which did not make it any easier to settle in.

Mary

I chose to go to Johnson & Wales for their Early Enrollment Program, where high school seniors can attend school as full-time freshmen and simultaneously complete credits that are required to graduate high school. I wanted to explore an education in culinary arts as to act upon the intrigue that I had for it without putting myself back a year if it was not for me. Fortunately, I fell in love with both the program and the university. I have acquired astounding quantities of information, and I have had the privelegde to work in the industry with professionals as mentors. I have developed the drive to make a decision for the career path that I want to take in life. Looking back on all that I have gained from attending school at Johnson & Wales, I would suggest to myself, as I entered the program, that I embrace the uncertainty I had and channel that feeling into an eagerness to discover. I would tell myself not to be bashful from the benefits it will yield and I would remind myself to be patient, to avoid discouragement at the slighter signs and to open my mind to let my potential future in.

Karen

Dearest Me, Hello from 2012 from the woman you will become. Yes, I'm that old. 30's have been the best years of my life! We're the same size. That's way cooler at my age We both start college this fall, too. No, I mean literally. Alright, I went once before but I'm going again. I'm the adult completing the degree you are starting. I bet you expect to tell you what to avoid so you don't leave school, but I'm happy with our life story. Actually, you decide to travel the world 2nd year. Thank you! So don't change, but thise tweaks are all things I wish we'd done freshman year : be active, go listen to guest speakers, take Calculus, study Socratic discourse, declare writing as a major, take classes from visiting professors, learn web programming, stay in touch with high school friends, Mom and Dad actually know alot, and stop worrying that people think you're weird. They do. You are. Everyone is. Embrace this whole experience: freedom, oppportunities, challenges, and learning Enjoy the journey. Don't wish your life away. Carpe Diem All the Diem. Stay silly, Me

Louis

When it comes to college experiences, the first three things that come to mind are that it takes a great deal just to get into college, that you have to apply yourself to succeed, and that people at the college level are more adult than they were in high school. As a high-schooler, my days involved everything but homework. Now a college sophmore, I spend several hours a day studying, and getting that acceptance letter in the mail wasn't easy either. That said, I wish that I could go back and say to myself "Louis, you should take more time with your studies so you will be better prepared for what college classes are like. It will make your first year a little bit easier." and "Take things like pushing for higher grades and college entrance exams seriously, and apply early to as many colleges as possible. Your chances of acceptance will increase significantly." Finally there are the bullies for whom I was always a target in high school. To that effect, if I could, I would advise my former self that people are more respectful in college and that I could look forward to a great experience.

Leslie

It is never too late, but don't wait. I know, just graduating from high school that you may not want to go straight to college. You may want to get a job or go for a acting career. They say that time flys, well when you arn't doing anything it seems as if time just stands still. I guaranteed you that college won't be as difficult for you if you go now than it will if you decide to go at the age of 30 with a child. There are so many advantages for attending college out of high school such as your parents/ parent support. Now I don't know about you but trying to pay all the bills and go to school isn"t easy. The time spent working a job that you don't enjoy could be spent studying for something you do enjoy. Not having to worry about a baby sitter, you dont have a child yet! Your skills, such as Math and Biology. Things that you study in High School are still fresh in your brain when you go to college, allowing you to move forward and not go back 15 years.

Mary

Look at other universities, think more about what you'd enjoy studying and how many careers you could do with that degree.

Alexis

Do not procrastinate, and make sure you stay on top of your school work at all times. never slack off and never leave things for the last minute

Lianne

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to concentrate on my future career from the very beginning. I would encourage myself to complete as many internships as possible to get the experience and to build my resume. With the job market the way it is, experience in your field is necessary when applying for jobs after graduation. I would also tell myself to take school seriously and take as many credits as possible in the beginning so during the last two years I am able to take less credits and work to start paying off college loans. The sooner I start paying off my college loans, even as little as $50 a month, the more it would benefit me after college.

Alicia

I would tell students to choose a school based on there major and what they want to do. Dont choose a school just because your bestfriend is going there or because you know you can slack and drink and party all of the time. Being a senior in highschool that's all the student wants to do when they leave.Especially leave there parents house and go and have fun. College isnt about the fun though. Yes you make close friendships, but at the same time youre there to start your career. You need to focus and figure out what you want to do because four years will fly by just like highschool did. That's your life your going to ruin if you don't choose the one that's right for your career.

Jamia

If was able to go back in time I would tell myself to become more organized that way we I get into college I would have a set plan for organization that would aid in my B+ to becoming A’s. Also I would have told myself to take advantage of taking college credits that way I would have a free term to take more internship. Most importantly I would teach myself how to persevere and never give up, because encouragement is always good. Also in college it is very important to encourage yourself on a daily basis.