Johnson & Wales University-Providence Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Johnson & Wales University-Providence

Tynita

The school has room to improve on student issues. The students need to be able to have a bigger voice than they allow. The things students love are often not taken into consideration and/or removed and then we are left with options we do not appreciate. Dining options have been reduced and they are less favorable. There are nice living options but they are being removed next year. The climate here is that a lot of students don't attend class and are often seen on drugs and alcohol. There are a lot of clubs and activities but attendance are always low. The class size is nice but the professors are often inattentive and very general.

This was my dream school while I was in high school. I fell in love with campus as soon as I got there and really love the atmosphere. The College of Culinary Arts is truly incredible and there is so much to learn. The chefs are so knowledgeable and JWU really feels like a home away from home.

taylor

I believe it's a well developed program but is more focused on it's culinary side rather than the other departments it has as well. It's a very good environment but still need to work on the drug and alcohol problem on its campus housing, and overall I wish that they provided more chances for scholarship.

maria

Johnson and Wales Providence is a great college to attend. It has high class learning facilities with knowledgeable staff. Everyone goes to sporting events and there are plenty events and opportunities to socialize. The food is above average, but of course is still college food. Providence itself is abundant with multicultural cuisine and a large mall. I thoroughly enjoy going to school here!

katelyn

As a whole it's a great school but it could always be better. The faculty here is pretty amazing, especially the Chefs. We are a unique school because we have such a large portion attending solely for the Culinary/ Baking and Pastry degree. Anytime I have a question and email my chef or professor they always respond within a few hours or sooner, even on holiday breaks. The campus itself is so beautiful because the Harborside location is right on the bay and the down city location is right in the bustle of the city. You get the best of both worlds. Its close to Brown University and URI which is awesome because even though our University is relatively small compared to others, it doesn't feel that way. I'm so in love with this school I even became a tour guide to entice perspective students to come here. I'm on my third year here and I've learned more information than I could've dreamed and the hands-on kitchen experience has truly launched my confidence in my pastry skills, especially the required internship my sophomore year. One thing I would love is if they added a down city parking lot for students coming from the harbor side campus for classes because there isn't anywhere cheap for us to park at the moment and taking the bus isn't always the best time-wise.

Sydney

It is a beautiful campus with a wonderful city feel. It isn't too large, but it also isn't too small to where you feel like you know everyone before you even get there. The food could be better considering JWU is one of the top culinary schools in the world, but overall it is pretty all right studying here.

Justice

Johnson & Wales University can be a great school, just not for biology majors. JWU operates on a trimester scheldue where it forces courses that should be semester long into terms. For biology students this just isn’t enough time to grasp material. And if you need help...well tutors are mostly always booked solid. So, you have to rely on professor office hours but, with your already busy scheldule is hard to do. The food on campus is suprisingly dismal, you would think a culinary school would have better options. Now the city of Providence while it appears quaint and beautiful on a brochure. It’s dangerous, there are reports of shootings almost every day. This year the school actually had a lockdown for a shooting that was close to campus. There have been stabbings, shootings, and mugging that we get emails about at least once every other week all year. In summary, I will be transferring to a different university.

amber

Johnson and Wales (PVD) is an great school overall but especially for Culinary Art and Baking and Pastry Arts. The Chefs work diligently to give you the best hands on experience. Johnson and Wales teaches you the necessaities to make it in the industry for your specified major.

Although I have only been at Johnson and Wales for a year, I have definitely grown to like it a lot due to the many opportunities that it gives students. There are definitely a lot of great people I have met through my classes and through other organizations that have made my experience even better.

Nathan

I am conviced that it is one of the best university in the country where value for money is achieved.The quality of the resource produced after is really high and one of the best on the labour market.The food and oncampus accomodation are really superb

Kolbi

The Johnson & Wales Univeristy Providence Location houses two campuses; Downcity and Harborside. The Downcity campus is in the heart of Providence, surrounded by five other University's. The city style campus brings convince, culture and night-life to students. The Harborside location provides a traditional closed-campus feel on the beautiful riverfront of the Providence River. Johnson and Wales Univeristy in Providence has a diverse student population, tolerant community, and experiential and career-oriented learning is the core of the curriculum. There are over 120 differing clubs and organizations spanning from Anime club to Fraternity & Sorrority life. There are more than 11 different dinning options and 13 unique residence Halls. The campus is almost entirely student run. JWU is a real community and the Wildcat Way expands across all locations creating OneJWU. Anyone who walks on campus will be taken back by the friendly, inclusive atmosphere. JWU focuses on providing the total guest experience to everyone,The Wildcat Spirit IS everywhere!

megan

I have only spend a little while in providence but it was such a amazing experience. Everyone at the school was so upbeat and positive, everyone was very friendly, I felt safe and there was never a dull moment. I am not a attending student yet but in a short four months I will be a fresh me and I can officially say I am a wildcat at the Johnson and Wales university in providence Rhode Island. I couldn't even being to explain how excited I am to start school. I've worked so hard to get here and I'm literally counting down the days and saving every penny to go down to School.

Savannah

Small classes, easy to reach professors, great programs for certain majors, most housing is nice. Dining food is poor, 1.5/5 stars for danger, do not feel very safe in the city. Providence is an industrial type city but there are some places to shop/eat. Campus is spread out and there is a busing system to different locations throughout the city. People who go here are not very proud of the school.

Hailey

JWU is a great school. Regardless of its sometimes bad food, the teachers are always available and helpful. We don't have school on Fridays at all and there is always something you can don on campus. Campus is always holding events that you can win prizes at as well. Don't be afraid of the cold weather either, its perfect for movie marathons in your dorm!

Sara

There re two separate campuses in Providence, one being right in the middle of Downtown Providence. This downcity campus is in a great location and close to many shops and restaurants, however, it is very spread out and does not give off the traditional campus vibe. There are many activities to get involved in within and around the school, but many students enjoy the social life more. Overall Johnson & Wales is a terrific school which focuses its curriculum around career based and hands on learning. With small class sizes, students receive a more personalized education that will allow them to succeed in the business world.

Jonathan R

Most of the professors and courses are great. There is a heavy inclusion of experiential learning. The food isn't as great as you would expect and the rooms could be better, but the school itself isn't that bad. I do prefer the graphic design program largely because they prepare you for the real world.

Matheu

Overall, I have really enjoyed my time so far at Johnson and Wales. The academic classes are fun and moderately challenging and most of the professors are really great. Outside of class, I enjoy the very diverse and welcoming clubs and organizations that are on campus. The faculty and admins are really cool and I would certainly recommend attending this university if it has the major you want and if you want to live in a medium sized city like Providence.

Ja-Niera

I transferred out so that should tell you something lol. But if you are a hospitality or culinary student, this is an amazing school for you. Just not STEM majors. This also maybe be a good school for business majors but there are definitely better schools. Does a lot of career prep but the academics suck.

Rahelin

I love Johnson and Wales it has been my dream school since I was thirteen years old. I have always waned to visit campus and when i did i fell in love right away. Every time i am on campus with my friends i never want to leave. I remember going to the first student orientation, i had so much fun there with the other kids. Even though i was older than them they didn't treat me any different. The food there is great and i love the customer service there. I never have a bad day at school, I have a bad day when it pouring and i forget my umbrella. But overall i love, this may seem wrong to say but I am a commuter which means i live off campus. I wish i lived on campus but due to not having enough funds i couldn't afford it. But i rather go to the campus everyday than go to my part time job. I just love the atmosphere and the people there, they are so welcoming and supportive. They are like my family, wildcat forever.

Tanasia

I like the way classes are. You get to take you academic classes alongside your major classes as soon as you enter. I just wish the RA's would do their jobs and that the school wasn't so expensive, actually the room and board cost more than my tuition and each school (school of business, culinary art, etc) has a different price.

Chiara

Coming to Johnson and wales university as a freshman back in 2015, I had no idea what to expect. Everything felt new and strange to me. Now as i approach my junior year i feel right at home at JWU. I attribute this to the variety of activities on and off campus. Not only are there hundreds of clubs to join on campus, there are plenty of restaurants, theaters, and shopping malls throught out the city of providnce. Most importantly JWU is a great school because of its academics. The class sizes allow teachers to be able to reach students where they are in their academic career, which is very important. Teachers, chefs, and Professors are also very available. Those things and more are just some of the reasons Jwu is a great univerity,

Tiara

A beautiful campus, filled with amazing people and a great environment for students. There's a lot to do around campus that you won't be bored. Including a movie theater, a mall, gyms/ workout facilities and other things. I can not wait to attend this fall.

Andreya

Johnson and Wales is a good college to attend in the Providence, RI area. It has its faults such as the location which is in the midst of the city and surrounded by clubs. The only problem that I can see with this location is that drunken people that can be loud. The only other inconvenience that I see for this college is that some teachers that make it hard to learn the curriculum.

Kasey

Johnson & Wales is a great career focused school. If you're there to learn about your major its great and they don't waste a lot of time with you Gen Eds. Professors are amazing but the campus is pretty seperate between culinary and everyone else.

Holly

Average university for average people.

Christina

Johnson and Wales University has great chefs and many resources. It is a great university to start my culinary career. All of the chefs have amazing backgrounds and many truly care for the students. It is truly amazing how many connections you can make just by attending JWU. A little expensive though...

Amber

Johnson & Wales University is a great school filled with opportunity. I have only been there for one term and I really feel like it was a fantastic choice. The professors I have had are understanding and always there to lend a helping hand, even if it is something that is not related to their class. The food is amazing. There is a variety of services available to students, some of which I have utilized, that are extremely helpful. For example, there is the writing lab that can be found in the library. The writing lab is a place where students can go for help on any project. Whether it is finding a topic for their paper or having someone read through a marketing case, the students working in the lab are always willing to help. One of the best parts of JWU for me is the Commuter Den. It is a hangout spot for all students, but it caters to those that commute to campus. The Den has its own events, such as the Have Less Stress day, where another worker from JWU visited and had students make stress balls! It is a lot of fun and a very comfortable place to just relax between classes, or even get some work done. Being a commuter does have its downside, however. I am a very open person, but I struggle to be the one to start the conversation. It is difficult for me to make friends, especially when most people already have friends on campus that they can see at any time. It also makes it very tough to be involved with activities. All of my professors tell me to be involved with clubs and activities on campus, but I can’t when I can’t physically be on campus. It is a huge struggle and I wish that more could be done about it. Overall, though, this is a fantastic school. I can’t wait to continue to pursue my college education at Johnson & Wales University!

Maggie

I am very pleased with Johnson and Wales University-Providence. Overall, the academics are very good. Although, I didn't have a positive experience with Residential Life, it was okay, but not the best. Everything else I absolutely love, and I would never choose a different school to attend!

Madison

I moved to Providence from a small town in California without visiting first. I wish that I would have toured the campus and had the opportunity to speak to current and past students before I made the decision to move 3,000 miles away and take out student loans to make attending Johnson & Wales a reality. Things to know: Providence is NOT safe, walking around the city alone or after dark is dangerous. Culinary students attend the Harborview campus and non-culinary students attend the Downcity campus. Downcity is not an actual campus, it's spread throughout city streets, which makes it more dangerous. On-campus housing is dirty, loud and packed. Off campus housing can be tricky to figure out. If you are not a culinary student, your education is probably not worth $50,000. If you are culinary, it's a great school. The culinary program is intensive and has great chefs teaching the classes.

Katalyna

It is a very diverse school. The mall is just about a 5 minute or 10 minute walk from the school. There is bus shuttles as well , if you have a class in another campus. They have jobs fairs that help you find a job, work study, or internships. Some kids made it to television shows as well. The security is very high at this school , which is a good things. They offer many sports as well as dance classes, martial arts, and self defense. There are so many opportunities at this school , it,s hard to miss.

Nhung

As a student from sunny California, moving to the brittle cold Northeast was a crazy decision. From only being here for a few months, I have learned that the cold is brutal. I would have never imagine the cold to be so harsh, however I have never seen snow in my entire life until I moved across the country. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't have moved, but I soon learned I made the right decision. Coming to JWU I have been able to learn a trillion life lessons that I would have never learned anywhere else. Yes, it's hard, but I wouldn't want it to be any other way. I have to support myself through college and JWU has made it possible for me to achieve my dreams.

Johnson and Wales University Providence is a school in a great location with very unique opportunities for students. The focus on experiential learning means you get real time working on your craft and profession whether it's at an internship or with a study abroad program. A feeling of professionalism is also fostered among both staff and students.

I have had some amazing experiences here at Johnson & Wales but most of that is due to the people that I've met. Living on campus has been amazing and allowed me to meet so many more people than I would have and has really helped me break out of my shell. The worst part of JWU is the student financial services office. Most people in this office are uncommunicative and not very helpful to their students (there are a few exceptions).

Aman

My overall opinion of johnson & wales is that its a good school to attend and get your degree in because the teachers at that school actually care about all there students being successful for the future. I also love how they give us a lot more opportunities than just culinary.

Melissa

Johnson & Wales University- Providence has always been my dream school. I will be majoring in Culinary Arts- Baking & Pastry Arts. I visited the campus twice so far, once for an open house and the second for orientation. JWU staff and students are very friendly and happy and I feel welcomed in the school. I can't wait to start in the fall and experience it.

emily

Johnson and Wales was amazing I can’t wait to start there in August 2018

Adelina

Culinary labs are only nine days each but you really learn a lot in a short amount of time. The chefs are extremely helpful and make themselves readily available to us. For a culinary school there should be more food options and the food should be of higher quality.

Veronicka

So far I think that it's a great option for undergraduate studies. The community is really great, and I love the city. I like the fact that we take classes pertaining to our majors in our first year unlike other schools. And I especially love that we don't have school on Fridays!

Tiffini

This school is very efficient with providing as many resources as possible to help students succeed. Also advisors are always accessible to help guied you with your course selections. Johnson & Wales has lower tuition and the option to rent, buy or have virtual access to books.

Shelby

I love going to school here. It has been my dream school since I was in middle school and I'm so happy I came here. Although there are things that could be improved I am still really happy with my decision to come here. The professors and chefs are very helpful. My classes are a lot of fun and even challenging at times.

Elyssa

Johnson and Wales has been my dream since I was a junior in high school. The day I received my acceptance letter I cried many tears of joy. Now that I have attended the school, I can proudly say it's still my dream. The campus is beautiful, the professors care about your success, and the students become a family in the lab courses. Whenever anyone tells me that they're interested in JWU, I tell them to try to anything they can to go here.

Geneva

When I first visited Johnson and Wales, I knew this was the school I was going to attend. I first fell in love with the scenery the most. At first I debated on whether I should leave home for a college to travel 249.8 miles far. But eventually, I came to my scenes and JWU has been the best decision I've made to pursue my culinary education, hopefully to be in the food industry someday. With Johnson and Wales being such a diverse university, I am also able to interact with people from different backgrounds. Having two totally different campuses in providence has its advantages as well. There is the down city campus, which can be very lively in the evening; including all of the nightlife areas and restaurants. And the Harborside campus which is students friendly with social events that brings the student body together. With the school being so interactive, they make it easy to contact your financial and academic advisers who are here to help solve your problems. I know this due to the fact, they are here because they want to see you succeed and further your path in your career no matter you're majoring in. For anyone who is looking into Johnson and Wales Providence I highly suggest to check it out.

J

A major department in any university is the Financial Services Office. You can call multiple times on the same day and get many different answers depending on the number of people you speak with. You can physically visit the Financial Services office and deal with the same issue. There is NEVER any consistency. Everyone will give you different answers and frustrate you to the point of flipping out. And, to top it off the staff who are supposed to help you (with an already stressful part of any college experience) will give students attitudes when you call out their inconsistencies. When you want to make a complaint, you are transferred to Monica who conveniently is never in her office. Even if you leave a voicemail she never gets back to me. In other words, this department at JWU’s Providence campus will never change because the inefficient, inconsistent, and unprofessional staff that form this office will never be held accountable for what they do to students who are paying thousands of dollars to the university each trimester. Avoid all these issues and go to another university. I unfortunately learned my lesson way too late. Please learn from my mistakes choose a different university that values its students and holds staff accountable.

matthew

I am an incoming student, but I have spent the last year and a half attending the orientations, and wrestling clinics they have had. Its a great school with great athletic complexes. I look forward to living on campus the first year. Providence is a very safe and quiet city. Nothing is too far away and their are many extra curricular activities for students to do. Their are many great restaurants for the parents to eat at. Boston is only 45 minutes away and Newport is only 20 minutes.

Daniel

I transferred here from Johnson and Wales, and even though my classes have not started yet, I already like the atmosphere better than at Johnson and Wales. If I had the option of going back to when i was choosing between the two colleges, I would chose New England Tech every time.

Alexandra

I am more than happy with my decision to attend Johnson & Wales University. You get the feel for city life and campus life all at one school , with incredible students, faculty & staff.

Daniel

Everything about this school made me want to Transfer to New England Tech

kiara

Johnson and Wales is a very open school that provides students with plenty of resources especially when their looking for their field of work. Career services that assist with resume development and many teachers with advice for job opportunities. We hold on to the energy and spread it around and make sure all students can be involved in the eventful life at JWU. Overall the school gives great experience to those looking for a good college, especially in culinary and other business detailed jobs.

Jacqueline

Johnson and Wales University has a very diverse atmosphere. There are many students from various countries who present the opportunity for others to learn about it. The university offers an array of extracurricular activities, as well as activities hosted by RAs, student council and the student involvement network so there is usually something going on. In addition to this, there are several choices for activities off campus, such as shopping and trying the cuisines Providence has to offer. The professors are helpful for the most part, especially in my area of study. Many of them provided office hours and were incredibly helpful in guiding students. All of my Psychology professors were experienced, knowledgeable and were not afraid to push us out of our comfort zone. This aided me in being prepared for my field when I began internship, as well as exiting feeling more confident in my abilities and a sense of accomplishment. There were some in my general education classes that were not as helpful, however, and expected the students to do all of the course work 100% independently. Although psychology students are only able to take general education courses while studying abroad, many of the majors, especially those who study culinary, hospitality and business have a vast amount of opportunity. Students are able to study abroad every year if they would like. Johnson and Wales also offers career fairs at least a few times a year. Unfortunately, those who are in smaller programs such as myself did not have as much opportunity to attend these since most were not catered to our majors, but the professors often brought professionals from the field in so we could learn more about it and network. Providence also offers many opportunities for volunteering/interning in my field since they are so rich with mental health agencies. The students are very welcoming and friendly. My experience with living on campus was great. The only issues I encountered were the quality of some of the residential halls and on campus housing is not guaranteed after the first year. I never lived off campus, but most people I knew enjoyed that experience and found places that were a very close commute to class. The campus food is not the best, but some of the dining halls are in the style of convenience stores, so there are other options such as sushi, sandwiches and frozen dinners that students can purchase with meal swipes. For the most part, Johnson and Wales has several strong aspects. The only main issues are financial aid and the Student Academic Center. For those who are first years, the financial aid is great, but then decreases over the years. In my experiences, I relied heavily on scholarships and loans in order to attend my last two years of college. I also found the Student Academic Center to be very unhelpful or to not know the answers to questions I had. This means I often had to figure out the answers myself, or seek aid from other resources. While I had a great experience at this school, Johnson and Wales is not a good fit for everyone. It is important to visit the campus, research the programs and decide which aspects are most important to the individual.

Lydia

I feel the school is great for hospitality but doesn't provide good food for a primarily culinary school. Overall I feel this school is great but you need to know this is the school you want to go to with the major you want because I feel its a waste of money if you come to figure out if your into it or not.