Johnson C Smith University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Johnson C Smith University

genesis

My experience at JCSU was a bitter sweet nightmare. While being at the school helped me network, make connections and perform at different opportunities I feel as though the staff did not fully support and have the students back. I am passionate about both music and being a fashion designer. However, because JCSU doesn’t have a fashion major I decided to major in music business. The music department could not get organized. None of the professors were on the same page and in fact a lot to the students that I started out with during freshman year who also majored in music ended up changing their major to IDS or communications because the music department was so unorganized. The cafeteria was one of the worst things on campus. It closes at 7pm which made it hard during the night time for students to eat if they had to go to work or had nighttime classes from 5-7 pm. Every time I ate in the café their meat would never be fully cooked. There were times where my friends and I ended up sick, throwing up or even develop bumps around our mouths because the dishes were cleaned poorly. The living conditions at JCSU only has about two-three dorms that are safe to live in. The others are filled with mold. There’s this one dorm on campus that has such a high content of mold that when you walk into a person’s room you are instantly hit with mug temperature. You feel cold and sweaty at the same time because the air is so moist. One of the worst things about this school is the disrespect that a lot of students endure from professors and the faculty. I have been in choir for the past two years at JCSU and the choir director must be one of the rudest teachers I have ever met in my life. There are voice recordings from students who have recorded the director saying rude and nasty things to the students. Students have even taken those recordings to the president of the school but because she is good at her job he doesn’t say anything but defend her. She attacks our weight, if we don’t pick up on the music as fast as she would like she yells at us about how we need to get off the slow bus and hop on the fast one, or say that we must have skipped taking our meds today. Now I know what you’re thinking. If choir is so bad then why go back? Why do students keep going back to the class? Well, for two reasons. I love to sing, I love music. That is what I want to do with my life so I refuse to allow someone to take that passion away from me. The second reason is because the director gives us scholarships which almost every student needs. So, we feel trapped almost. There are times that the choir director gets upset at us and talks about students who aren’t in the room. She is quick to throw their financial situation out there when another student financial situation is none of my business. She throws the fact that she has given us scholarship money in our face to get us to follow her directions that are even in the syllabus. The last thing that she said to us on the last day of class was that when she’s sees us again in the fall semester we all need to be 20 pounds lighter. Luckily for me I will not be returning to her in the fall. Because of my overall experience I have decided to transfer to Howard University during the fall. I applied to Howard my senior year in high school and I was rejected but I applied again last semester, my sophomore year, at JCSU and I was accepted. This is why I need this scholarship. Not only am I finally going to be able to go to my dream school but I feel as though it is going to be a completely different experience then JCSU. I am really looking forward to this new chapter in my life where I will be able to major in both music and fashion.

DeLaya

I love my HBCU. It a family friendly environment where we know everybody. Where we know what going on. You can always get help with your home work and as question. People are here to help you not fail you. You are a face with a name not a face with a number to it. Your teacher get to know you as a person. I love my JCSU.

Aliyah

Overall I really love JCSU because it feels like a second home. I enjoy going to the classes because the teachers are focused on your best interest. I am actually trying to get more involved in campus activities for possibly a better experience since it is only my sophomore year. I am excited for whats to come!

Reneasha

My overall opinion of Johnson C. Smith is just like any other college campus. It is what you make it. Granted I never wanted to attend a HBCU, but I blocked out the fact that it is an HBCU with the goal of me finishing what I started in obtaining my degree.

Christian

Johnson C Smith University has the ability to be a true premier school. I enjoy the small atmosphere but it is lacking in retaining students, providing true academuc assistance, and providing funds for students who truly need it. The housing and campus food must change. The Univeristy will need to move to a No-Smoking Campus. There is small support, but it should be a campuswide support that supports everyone. It saddens me to see students transfer because they are not happy with the overall campus. They feel betrayed. I chose to stay because I want to make a difference as a Golden Bull.

Charnell

My overall opinion of Johnson C. Smith University is that it is a small campus so you are able to get that one on one attention and help from your professor. they have tutoring labs on certain days for every subject. I think Smith is still a working progress but it’s good. They just need more of a variety of professors to choose from.

Brianna

My overall opinion is that I love the school once I visited it and I can't wait to attend.

Ja'sha

Johnson C Smith University is an excellent school. There are many different activities to be involved in. There are also many opportunities for jobs and futures. They offer a wide variety of majors and the professors are always there for their students. The atmosphere of Johnson C Smith University is great. I would recommend it to all students looking to enjoy their college experience whilst gaining helpful knowledge on how to survive in life outside of academics.

Overall I love that school. It's not to big and not to small. The professors make sure you have the information required they don't just keep going. They have a lot of school pride. Everybody knows everybody at my school. We are very active and we live for sports.

Sheila

The faculty is open-minded and generous to help a person with their education. Counselors are willing to help a student to continue their education and find help when needed. They have reasonable housing for on and off campus students. The food is excellent in the Koko Moe's Coffee Shop and Faculty Cafe. Students are allowed to buy food from the Faculty Cafe also.

Felicia

My overall opinion of Johnson C Smith University is it a great learning institution. It provides education, self awareness, and allow you to have, or create your own voice in society. It prepares, and train you the career you have decided to embark upon.

jalijahwon

It’s a great experience and the people are great. You have to very involved or you be lost. You will easily fit in because it is just like a family atmosphere. Also the teachers are great and very knowledgeable in their field of study. You must learn to network with other people.

Jamal

I will be a freshman and they have already made me feel welcomed. Looking forward to becoming a Smithite. The campus is the right size for someone like me. I know that I will be in the right hands with the professors and the access that I will have to them

Liyah

Johnson Smith University is a place where people go to find a path in life, to make new friends and to obtain new experiences. I wanted to attend this school for the fall semester but I didn’t get accepted. I am familiar with people there so I would blend well. P.S. being a LUVABULL IS MY GOAL

Sallie

It’s a very open community. Very accepting and they have many opportunities for you to meet people from all around the campus in different departments. they allow you to get to know the people in your class with many activities going on around campus.

Ty'Neijah

Johnson C. Smith is a historically Black college. There is always different activities or events that are being held either on or off campus. The students are always so welcoming and friendly. The school/community is like a family; everyone supports everyone and is always there when you need a hand. If you are far away from home and you are not used to the weather or being at a predominately-black school then it can be a culture shock. Johnson C. Smith is a HBCU but there is a mixture of all type of different races and cultures that go here. I love this school because it is smaller than other colleges, so it gives you a chance to get close with your professors and form a close bond with them. The dorm rooms can use a little improving on them but they are working on fixing them so they can be a better living area for the students. The food is not the best but if you like, high school food then you will like this food as well. Overall, I love the school and would not choose no other school/college.

Deonte

I love my HBCU. It’s very rewarding to attend such a historically life learning institution . The learning environment is very educational as well as knowledgeable. I’m pleased with my choice to attend this fine I establishment. I enjoy all of my experiences thus far.