Johnson State College Top Questions

If I could go back to my senior year when I was looking at colleges I would do things completely different. I chose to attend a small school that is five minutes away from my parents’ house because I was too scared to go away to school. I regret this decision that I made because I am commuting to school and it doesn’t feel any different from high school. Everyone at school is talking about how amazing college is and how much they love it and I wish I felt the same. Because I am a commuter I have had a hard time making friends and fitting in on campus, and if I had decided to go away to a different school I think that I would have had more fun. I would tell my senior in high school self that I should apply to schools out of state and make that jump on my own. It would have been extremely hard to leave my family because we are so close but I could’ve and should have done it.

There are many significant words to be shared with students who are transitioning into college. As a graduating student I would have loved the opportunity to have someone like who I am today, to tell me what the most important aspects of this transition would be. Over the last two years I have focused much of my energy on getting to know myself, and on how to live a healthy life. Growing up in poverty, I became used to the fact that change happens; especially after attending fourteen schools. As I moved into my freshman year of college, I had the idea that it was going to be easy. I worked very hard to get to college and to continue my education, so hard that I thought when arrived it would be just the same as any other time that I had to change to a new school. I believed that the transition was going to be easier on me than any other typical person. However, I was wrong. Confidence is only good when it is true and realistic. It would have been nice going through this life changing event knowing that it was going to be difficult.

Brigitte

I think It's funny because during my senior year in high school I was afraid of attending college because a lot of people told me that is was hard and even the applying for college and getting in part was to much. I was scared all the way until I decided form high school and left for college and saw it for my self. Looking back from know I would tell my self that applying for college and writing the essays was pretty easy and being on campus and experience the college life seemed pretty good and most faculty in college are helpful they help with everything anyone might need. I was proud of my self and I was even happier that I had gotten accepted. I would of told my self to take it easy and everything would be all set.

I have come to understand the flaws and limitations of our society and how it c an be improved for the better. I understand myself and my own disability much better and have come to accept myself and my limitation while as the same time striving to advance myself in my education and career prospects as far as possible.

The most important thing I would tell myself would be to save my money. I was told all through high school that college is expensive, but I never really knew just how much I was getting into. The cost of things not school related is what I usually struggle with; food, entertainment, clothing and necessities are expensive. I wish I had known that I would value my money much more in college than I did in high school. I would also tell myself to apply for every scholarship I could. Now that I am 15 thousand dollars in debt just from one year of school, I realize how much help any scholarship could give me, no matter how small. Even if I start applying now for every scholarship possible, I still have a large debt. I wish I had known sooner that there was something I could do to avoid it.

Liz

If I could go back in time to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to give up. As a senior in high school, I had thought that I wanted to be an artist for the rest of my life, and because of this, had neglected to apply to liberal arts schools. However, as the year?s end grew closer, I realized more and more that I did not want to be a professional artist or an art teacher. This put me in a difficult situation, and forced me to accept that I would be attending a school I hadn?t necessarily applied to for any reason. If I could go back now, knowing what I do, I would tell myself to look forward in time: What did I really want to do for the rest of my life? What would help me get there? I would tell myself to apply to schools with a more serious academic record, to take time in researching my possibilities- but most of all, I would tell myself not to give up. Even when things got tough, even when it seemed like the end- never give up.

Stick to your religion, your morals and get excited! College is sooo much easier than high school because you actually have the drive to achieve there. And don't worry; Keelia and Derek are still around to help you out if you ever need it. Plus you will meet the love of your life there, just like mom and dad.

Kurtis

I would give the advice to myself of making decisions entirely 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} for myself when it comes to school. Also go with my first initial instinct as to which school to go to.

Find a school that you feel very passionatly about, and if you have to resort to a fall back school, do not allow yourself to become content there. Keep fighting and challenging yourself to get the most out of your education and the most out of your school but most importantly keep yourself challenged.

Go where the surroundings are comfortable and nothing out of your own element. Pick a place that gives opportunities to change your plan of study easily and has a much to offer in areas you are looking in to. Don't go somewhere just because others say it's good or a place that your friends are going. Pick a place that has what you want and like.

Visit the campus and do it more than once. If your child is interested in sports or clubs, find someone on-campus who is involved in that particular intrest and see if your child can tag along to an event, game, practice, etc. Once at the school encourage your child to get involved. It's a great way to make great friends. Being involved in something forces you to get out of your dorm room and interacting with other students. If you have a child who is passionate about something that doesn't exist on campus, encourage them to start their own club. No school is going to deny a student the right to start a club. Even at my school we had a Pizza Club: a group of kids who ate pizza and wrote reviews. Anything is possible if you try, and you must try.

Visit

Kate-Lynn

College is a time to learn about your self, and others. I ask two things; parents, let your kids make mistakes while they still have you as saport, and students, take chances. If you have the opertunity to do something, then you need to do it. College only happens like this once for you, and if you don't make the most of it while you have the chance, you'll regret it in the future.

laura

Go and see the view....its so worth the view

Carolee

I would tell them to look around for the best options, tour each college thoroughly, and go to whichever one offers the most financial aide.

Christabella

College can be whatever a person chooses for it to be. WhenI chose to come to Johnson State College, I made a promise to myself that I would get involved, stay involved, make myself a campus-name, and get straight A's. Since I had clear goals in mind, I was able to achieve all of that and get accepted to medical school. Now, I'm at the University of Miami Medical School and I couldn't be happier with my preparedness.

Edward

Don't go to a college just because it has a good name and don't pursue a career just because it is considered "acceptable." Go to the place that fits you best and once your there pursue what you really love. Because in the end that is all that really matters.

Do not go on anything other than acedemics and placement ratio. With how horrible our education system and economy are, it isn't about making friends and being part of all the clubs. It is about making it out with decent grades and a good job.

Byron

This is a great school. You have to make your own choices here; you can be the party animal, the book worm, the worker, etc. Do what makes you feel right.

I would encourage parents to enourage their child to attend a community college as the costs are lower and the education similar to most other colleges. Also, prepare your child well for college and make sure they will be financially stable throughout their years attending. Check in with your child but don't put too much pressure on them as college in itself causes enough pressure for the students.

Selecting the "right" college for yourself or your college-bound kid is essentially impossible. Too many high school graduates are ready to assume that their college pick will be right for them. The best advice I can give is to not put all your eggs into one basket. Know that if you go to that college and the first month or so you feel like it just isn't coming together, give it till the end of a semester or a year. Finish whatever credits you are taking so it is not a loss. If it just feels wrong after that, it may never have been the "right" school. However, attempt to stick it out for a year, it will help immensely. Basically, know that the initial selection process is not everything--there are unforseen factors that come with living away, etc. In the initial selection process, try to interview as many students from the school as possible--and NOT the ones that are paid to say that school is great (aka tour guides). Do a little soul-searching. You want to find a place that not only supports you academically, but also attends to your comforts and social desires.

Know where you want to be, and what kind of atmosphere you will be entering into.

Najat

Let thier kids decied where they would be most happy. Dont force them into a school that they dont want to go to. Travel and visit ALL the schools your child is thinking about going to. That was the deciding factor for me.

Jim

don't bother applying unless you actually visit the school but i wouldnt even bother applying awful teachers and nothing to do very depressing campus as well

tim

never let anything get in the way of the college of your dreams. never sacrifice what you need from a college, because chances are there is a college out there with exactly what you want. take a lot of time in deciding where you want to o, and start looking early. you have to remember that this is a decision that will affect you for the rest of your life, and you should never make any haphazard decisions. find the school you love, and try harder than ever before to get in because this school is going to make a world of difference.

Go to class...it seems like a simple concept, but many freshman don't go, because no one is there to tell them to go to class.

Shane

Don't be afraid to be yourself. Get out there and have fun.

Do you research, ask questions, think carefully before making your final decision.

Amaryillis

It seems as if the biggest thing stopping students from pursueing their greatest dreams and goals is the cost of education. The best advice I was given before attending an insitution was not to worry about money now, but the quality of your education, and despite that advice, I still went with the cheapest institution, and am now regreting it. Obtaining the best possible quality of education should be the greatest determining factor when searching for schools. If it is in your heart... do it! Not only that , but you will find that paying more for a college will positively influence what you learn, how your learn, and not to mention the quality of entertainment and activities around you. Generally, higher priced schools put more into extra-curricular activities, sports, and not to mention their food program (which makes a substantial difference)! Get out there and experience all that you can from social events and activities to taking all different kinds of classes regardless if they are a part of your major. Think about it, this experience only happens once in a lifetime if not all for some so make the best of it !

samantha

It's okay to transfer! Sometimes the school that you thought was going to be the school of your dreams can turn out to be very dissapointing, never stay if you're unhappy the best thing to do is transfer. It's not as hard and scary as one might think.

Martina

FInd somewhere that you feel comfortable. If you arent than you wont learn or enjoy the experience you are saposed to if you are not happy. If you are someone that needs a lot of one on one go to a small school it may not be as creditable as harvard but you will learn more and suceed.

For all the students and parents out there who are about to enter their first college year i'd suggest finding a school that makes you happy and offers what you want to do. Pick a major that you truely enjoy, because your going to be doing it for the rest of your life. Get out there and join sports and clubs, dont be afraifd to try something new. Rememeber that school comes first and everything else will still be there when your done all your school work. Just remember to have fun and enjoy what your doing. College is a great time for students, so have a great time.

Henry

My advise is to use the college searches that are out on the internet today. They are extremely helpful. And once you have found some schools that you are interested in, you should visit the all atleast once. The visit to the school is suprisingly important.