Joliet Junior College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Joliet Junior College

Adell

Everything i have seen is great so far , i am very excited to be a wolf and represent in purple and white. this is a huge next step for me but i am ready to conquer this journey. i know this will be a test but there is nothing i cannot overcome. i am ready

Aja

Joliet Junior College, or JJC as everyone likes to call it, is an in between a college that is not bad but not good either. I will start out with the good side of JJC. The food here is vastly different than when I was in high school. High school lunches were bland and terrible, but JJC’s food is well-done and a vibrant selection for different needs. Some of the teachers here really care about their students. They put as much effort in the classroom to make sure when we graduate in spring or winter, we know what we learned as well as how to deal with the real world. Because of them, I know that I will be alright once I transfer out to a four-year college. These are the good things from JJC, however, I must list off the bad. There are teachers here in JJC that are not all that pleasant and you can tell they are just there for the paycheck. They do not teach the lessons from the book or PowerPoints they have, and as for life lessons? You might as well get those lessons from a counselor, parents, or YouTube. The drug scene at this school can be bad if you are taking art classes or classes where kids are really stressed in. Some would take drugs or alcohol before class, and you can tell they are high or drunk from the way you are looking. It is distracting when group project time will need to be done, and your partner is in la la land while you’re doing most of the work. JJC is a neutral blend of the good and bad, so it comes down on how your experience in the college will be like.

Janelle

Joliet Junior College is a great community college to start your undergrad education. Its classes are small, so there is always some interaction with your professor, and they are also very affordable. It is a community college, so there will be many people who pursue more practical trade or vocational careers, but it does have an honors society and honors program for people who want to transfer to a university and eventually pursue some sort of post-graduate education. The main campus also has several student resources, like job placement services, free tests to determine your major, and access to study abroad programs, that can be very beneficial to students. Since JJC is a community college, there are a limited amount of clubs and organizations you can join compared to a university. Most students are commuter students, so there is not much student activity happening after 4 p.m. Still, Joliet Junior College is a solid community college and a great place for anyone to start their undergrad institution while saving money.

Jordan

When I began my college education, I started at Illinois State University as a Business Major. For few reasons, ISU didn't end up working out and I transferred to Joliet Junior College. Walking in to JJC, I was expecting blow-off classes and professors who didn't care, that was far from the truth. I worked and struggled in my classes and my professors were there to help 100% of the time. They are and were always available to help and gave advice when it was needed. I wish I had started at JJC originally but i'm glad I went for my Sophomore and Junior year. The counselors helped me transition from being a business student to being a Biology education student, they helped me catch up on my course requirements as well. I speak highly of JJC to high school graduates who don't know what school they want to attend yet and to adults that want to go back to school. JJC is an amazing college to be apart of.

Selena

It was a great first step for me because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do, so JJC was very flexible. Not only that, but the counselor there were amazing as well, they helped me go the right direction and helped me stay on the right path. I do wish there was more scholarship opportunities, but I still loved it.

krysta

Attending Joliet Junior College is wonderful! I always feel like I can get in contact with any professor at any time! I always feel safe and know I can make friends easily! The food is great and there is lots to do when not in class!

Christopher

Joliet Junior college may be a community college, but if you're someone who can't afford to go to a four year university, this college is a great start. Tuition is cheaper compared to most other universities, and is a big save in money to get your gen eds out of the way. Just because people mostly go here for their general education, that doesn't you can't get involved. There are just as many activities and clubs to join here than any other college.

Estrella

Joliet Junior College is one of the best community colleges in my area. I have met students from all over Illinois who make an effort to attend JJC because how good the school is. I love the variety of class hour options and class sizes. The professsors are great and are always willing to help.

Advanna

It is just my first year at JJC, but from what I have seen, its nothing to complain about. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. JJC is the right place for you if you want to continue your education, but have no idea what you want to major in. The food is OK, housing is pretty nice, and every now and then they have events that I sometimes go to with friends.

Giorgi

I love Joliet Junnior College. It is oldest and one of the best community colleges a person living nearby need to go. Joliet Junnior College does not look like regular college, it is something special, I never felt that I study in "community college". There are plenty of groups and honors societies to join. Many people are involved in athletics like basketball and go to gym. We have "Makers Lab" where students can print 3D objects. It is one of the best decisions in my life.

Haley

Choosing to study two years at JJC was a great choice for me. There are some great teachers that enjoy teaching. One thing in particular that I enjoyed about JJC were the smaller class sizes. Because of this, it was easier to ask questions and get help when needed.

Jacob

It is a good school, with good professors. The campus is very easy to navigate, and everyone is friendly. The professors are very helpful, and always have office hours. If you cannot meet within the given time, they will work out a time to meet with you. Over all, it really prepared me for a four year university.

Alyssa

it was a good school and it was close to home. Teachers were very nice and helpful.

Amy

I was an older student who went back to complete my Associates Degree many years later. I did not get involved in all the student activities but there were plenty available. The campus is clean and safe, I never felt afraid. All the professors I had contact with were great and always available for help or questions. There were plenty of ways to have fun on campus and also to be involved in clubs or sports or study groups.

Matthew

Joliet Junior College is the first choice for people in the area. The faculty are exceptional and I've built lasting relationships with multiple professors. Beside the academic challenge it brings, the Honors program gives students an opportunity to go outside the school and broaden their intellectual horizons through various class driven field trip excursions. I was extremely impressed with the art scene present at JJC. The massive gallery was always full of artwork from visiting artists, high school art shows, and even our own student show. Our theater program prepared and hosted stunning plays and performances through the year. However, it is an accurate statement to say that the amount of time and effort students invest into their own academic journey here at JJC will directly influence the quality of their educational experience.

matthew

Joliet Junior College is a great place to grow and develop as a student to really develop your skills as an adult post high school. The faculty here are very friendly and helpful and seriously want to see you succeed and will help you in any way possible.

Joliet Junior College is a great school. The staff is extremely helpful and continually strives to push students to do better. I waited a couple years after high school to embark on my educational journey, and found myself overwhelmed with the options available to me in regards to schools. However, there were multiple teachers, students, and counselors who walked me through the process and simplified it for me. I am so glad I enrolled at this college.

Araceli

Overall I would say that Joliet Junior College is a good school. However, I believe that the staff has a great impact on how individuals view the school. For the most part, the staff is great at helping students and giving them advice and feedback.

Kari

I took 3 years to get my associates degree. It was a pretty great school. Most of my teachers I had no issues with. There were only a handful who I had any sort of issues with. The good ones definitely made up for the bad ones though. Overall, I had a good 3 school years at JJC.

Julizza

Its a great school that has a wonderful, willing, and helpful staff that will assist a student with whatever they need. The school is affordable and has teacher that have taught at major colleges and universities, I feel that I am receiving the same education as students that may be paying more at other colleges or universities.

Olivia

It's alright. The homework load is a bear, but I can get through it. The teachers are generally helpful, although there have been several teachers who were either unhelpful or just bad at their jobs. It's a junior college, so I don't have to worry about housing or a meal plan, and the classes are fairly affordable.

Emma

Joliet Junior College is a great community college to go into right out of high school, or even if your starting to go back to school. The school offers many different areas to get your degree in and prepares you immensely for transferring to a different university. Joliet Junior College provides great education at a reasonable price. From all the clubs and activities to participate in, you can always find a friend when your at Joliet Junior College. I wouldn't wish my first years at college anywhere else, this community college has prepared me to move on to further my education and has made me an even better student than I could've imagined.

Eric

Good place to start college career

Timea

Being a first generation, non-traditional student, I was aware that if I wanted to pursue a higher education I need to be persistent and determined to achieve my career goals. However, I would not be at this level in my education without the amazing staff and professors of Joliet Junior College. I am about to finish my freshman year with a 4.0 GPA; it would not have been possible without the help of my professors; all of them - without exceptions - were willing to help me outside of class whenever I needed clarification about something. The ladies at registration and financial aid are very knowledgeable​, and they go ab​ove and beyond their duties to help the students. I also need to mention the staff at the testing center because their kind words ease the extremely stressful feelings of testing. I feel very grateful to be a student of Joliet Junior College.

Valerie

I think JJC is a great community college that gives great opportunities for students who are looking to transfer after 2 years of studying at JJC. Some students do come through to either finish degrees or to gain experience. I believe that after my 2 years at JJC I will be prepared​ to continue on to a university to finish my degree.

Sydney

I love Joliet Junior College. JJC actually gave me an opportunity to go to college because I wasn't ready to go off to a university yet. I wanted to stay close to home and wanted to afford it. JJC gave me those opportunities. In school I am always accompanied with the great staff who always are available and are there to answer my questions. They have a great library with a silent room so I can study well. The one thing that also is a plus is that they have great on-campus food and it saves me time from leaving campus and getting food somewhere else. Joliet Junior College is a great college and is I wouldn't have chosen a better choice to start off my college experience.

Kwadwo

Overall opinion of Joliet Junior College is that it allows students who do not know much about college expenses and teachers are willing to help students in the careers and goals. Joliet Junior College also allows to have transfer into a four year university. Many students attend Joliet Junior College for a two year Associate Degree to transfer into a four year university.

Kara

I really enjoy Joliet Junior College. It was a great start for me. The atmosphere, the food, the students, teachers, classes, all of it was great. I wish I could stay longer. My teachers were always helpful and caring about every student. Students all seemed interested in learning and meeting people.

Alexandra

Joliet Junior College has provided me with a good college experience. The program I am in is one of the best in the country and I can say I am proud to be able to attend. My professors are very intelligent and provide excellent lectures that engage you and keep you wanting to learn. I find they are enthusiastic and truly care about your progress. The best part is being able to study with our program animals. Taking a exam while also being able to pet a dog is truly therapeutic. I also like that we have our own area in the school that is locked and can only be accessed by students and faculty. This makes me and other students feel safe and secure while we are in a classes. Another great thing is that campus police are watching over the parking lot while night students are going to their cars to drive home after a long day. Overall JJC is a great community college that accounts for the safety of the students and staff.

JENNIFER

It is a great school offers many. The Professors are always available and reliable when needed.

Marley

i really enjoy the school, the teachers really care about their job and they really want every single one of their students to succeed and be the best student/person they can be. I always feel safe on campus. the food is good and there are plenty of art and theater opportunities and a number of clubd to join so every student can be involved.

XiaoZhen Grace

Wonderful school. It is right off the expressway, majority of students live off campus and commute to school, faculty and staff are easy to talk to, tuition and class costs are fair, and an excellent choice to save money for an associates degree before transferring. Joliet Junior College offers a plethora of career paths and degree programs. There are plenty of clubs, organizations, and events to partake in such as transfer college and job fairs, club recruiting days, student appreciation days, volunteer activities, holiday events, leadership seminars, and so much more. There are also amazing people in Office of Student Activities who will help you get involved on campus and off campus.

I wish I had known about JJC sooner in my academic career. You get amazing experiences and education for the price. Every professor I have had there has been accessible, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable about the material. I feel like I get more out of my experiences and classes at JJC than I did at my 4 year university. If you're stuck at class all day, no problem. The buildings are really nice and well kept. There are plenty of places to sit and wait for your next class, grab something to eat, or study. All the staff and the facilities themselves support student learning and success.

Nathan

Overall, Joliet Junior College provides a comfortable environment to take classes in. There are plenty of places to hang out and get work done and the facilities are pretty nice for a junior college. All of my professors were very good and the classrooms got the job done reasonably well. Overall a solid A.

Amanda jasmine

It’s great here so far I love coming and I like my teachers. The campus is nice I like the curriculum

Tyler

I attended Joliet Junior College for 4 semesters and it had some positives and some negatives. Some of the positives were that teachers cared about the students not only with their grades, also with their home life. Attending a junior college is usually because of the lack of money the student or family has, especially in and around the poor area of Joliet. We are very lucky to have JJC. With that money struggle, comes with more problems that are happening at home, such as abuse, parents always working, or violence. The teachers would sit and talk with the students about what is going on with their home lives so that they can focus on their grades more. Another positive is that it is very affordable, and easy to get to because the main campus is right off I-80 expressway. The last positive is that there are multiple campus's around the chicago suburb area! There is one in west Joliet, Downtown Joliet, Frankfort, Plainfield, and Romeoville. Now on to the negatives about the school. The first and most important negative is that the employees that run the admission, student accounts and payments, and financial aid offices do not have a clue what to do. They read off a script and learn from watching other employees. You can see many students getting stressed out when trying to communicate to the employees about what is wrong, and they just do not know how to respond with the correct answer. Another problem was that there are usually not enough classes or enough spots in the class to sign up. Sometimes there are only 2-3 classes with 20 seats in each class for a whole semester. That is a huge problem when you have a college of 10,000 plus students. The final negative is that there is not enough parking. If you come later in the day you're probably going to end up walking for about 5 minutes to class, so be prepared. Overall, Joliet Junior College is a great college to go to for students that want to save money while getting an education. I recommend this college to any student who is struggling financially.

Tyler

Joliet Junior College is a very inexpensive way to get your general education credits out of the way. It is very convenient for people that are not financially set for a four year university. The school overall is very clean and safe with uniformed officers always visible from inside on the third floor to the center of the parking lot. The classes sizes are very excellent. If you liked a high school class size of between 20-30 than this school is right for you. Every school seems like its the best fit for you but colleges come with a few down falls. The few down falls to Joliet Junior College is the food is expensive. It is very tasty but it will cost you four bucks for a cheese burger. I can go to McDonald's and get four chicken sandwiches for that price. Second, the teachers that are well set for a subject can teach it very well and thoroughly and others make you become your own teacher. Sometimes it seems like they just find random people and give them a teaching job. The last down fall is the drive, driving back and forth everyday from home is very time consuming and a lot of mileage on your car. I wish there was on-campus living but its a community college so people don't expect much and if you are looking for sporting events this is not the school. JJC has sports but are not very popular or fun to watch. Other than that, this school is good for getting general education credits out of the way or that one class you need to redo in order to move on.