Juniata College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Brea

I'm not sure.

Ichiro

I think the stereotype for the students at this school is that given the location of Juniata, many of the students will be ignorant or perhaps different from students from other areas of big cities, etc. However, this stereotype is far from accurate. All of the students here are very open to ideas and are from all different kinds of places.

A Stereotype that is held of Juniata students is that we are very studious to the point where we are so concerned with our studies that we don't have time for any other activities. Juniata's academic rigor depends upon the department. Many students strive for excellence academically, but that does not mean that these students don't have time for anything else. I've found that many Juniata students are very well-rounded. Students who are brainy also engage in clubs and music. The plethora of interests among students forces individuals to properly manage their time.

Jen

The stereotype of Juniata students is that we are all a bunch of hippies or a bunch of science nerds. Though there are plenty of both on campus, there are also a wide variety of other people at this school.

Stereotypes are for high schoolers. Freshmen come in thinking that stereotypes are still a part of school culture and behave as such. Oh silly freshmen. Sure there are science kids and rich pre-med students, but college is about becoming an individual

Kayci

A major stereotype would be that Juniata Students are all science nerds and spend every second of their time studying chemistry and biology. Although there is some truth to this (haha), the students at Juniata balance their studies and social lives very well I believe. When we need to get work done and study, we are in the computer labs and empty classrooms until the Juniata College Public Services kick us out at 2am. There have been multiple times I have been up studying that late and was asked to leave because they lock the buildings up at around 2am. However, on weeknights that we don't have work, you can get together with your friends and do whatever. Additionally, when the weekends come around, East and house parties are always the way to go.

Kayci

There does not seem to be much of a stereotype of Juniata students, since most people haven't heard of the school. People who have heard of the school seem to think of students as studious and academics-oriented, which is largely accurate. People also often comment about how friendly everyone here is, which I also noticed right away. We are also known as being bad at sports, which is not necessarily true for all sports, although it is accurate for some. We do have 2 excellent volleyball teams though. One general stereotype about the school as a whole is that there isn't anything to do here. This isn't really true, since there are a couple of decent restaurants in town and the campus does make an effort to have plenty of things going on. Some weekends are a bit slow activity wise though. Juniata isn't known to be much of a party school, although the parties are there if you look for them. Overall, I find Juniata to have a pretty diverse body of students personality-wise. There is someone for everyone to hang out with here, despite the school's small size.