Juniata College Top Questions

Ichiro

I think that Juanita is a great school to go to if you like the feeling of a small campus. It helps especially Freshmen year because it keeps you from being too overwhelmed and gives you more of an opportunity to reach out to advisors and other forms of help so that you can succeed in college.

Erika

I love Juniata. I felt at home as soon as I stepped on the campus. The professors are welcoming and helpful.

Hannah

Juniata has wonderful traditions. Toward the beginning of the Fall semester, we have Storming of the Arch and Mountain Day. Storming of the Arch is a rite of passage for Freshmen and all Rugby players. The Freshmen who wish to participate line up in front of "The Arch", a brick arch located in Cloister, the oldest residence hall, on the quad. Then through a series of ten unsuccessful trials, the Freshmen attempt to run through the Arch, which is guarded by the merciless male and female rugby teams. Some students get very creative with costumes and evasive efforts. No one has gotten through to this day. After you've stormed, as an upperclassman you can also defend the arch against the freshmen. The hype about Mountain Day begins around the second week of classes. It's a day when classes are randomly cancelled and everyone has the opportunity to spend the day at Raystown lake enjoying the lovely weather. At 5am, students on the "wake-up" committee run through the hallways in dorms, banging on doors and blowing air-horns around campus. Then students go back to bed until it's time to head to the lake! Remember, tomorrow is always Mountain Day!

Jen

Though you might hear students grumbling about the small size or the rural location, overall, Juniata is a very warm and welcoming campus. Everyone knows everyone, and students are generally friendly. Professors are open and inviting, and you get the impression that they care about you as individuals.

Laura

Juniata is good for people looking for a small school. It is not a party school, and not a lot of exciting stuff happens, so it is best for people who want to study. The biggest complain that students generally have is the food at Baker Refectory. The people are nice, and the professors are generally very helpful.

Kayci

I absolutely love my college. I think it is the perfect size. Yes it is a very small school (approximately 1600 students). However, if you are okay with the small town atmosphere, Juniata is has so many opportunities available to the students. Since the school is so small, the class sizes are also small as well. There are no more than 20 students in all my classes. My professors know me personally and I get special help whenever I ask for it. This is a major advantage I think Juniata has. I was walking down the sidewalk one day and professor I only had once from freshmen year said hi to me and even remembered my name. Of course you'll always have that one "off" professor or faculty member, but 97{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of all the administration is extremely welcoming, friendly, and would do anything for you! I find the image of our school varies. For people that do not live in Pennsylvania, a lot of out of state people say "Juniata? Where/what is that??" But then on the other hand, I have also heard of people in Minnesota who never went to our college talk about how great Juniata is! I am from central PA so all my friends know about Juniata. Everytime I talk about Juniata they always say, "Oh yea you go to that 'smart' person's school." I just find it funny that we are referred to as a smart school whereas Penn State would not have that description necessarily. Overall, Baker food is always questionable, the small classes are fantastic, Women's field hockey, basketball, and volleyball are the sports you should go to, and east is the place for your average Saturday night parties. And that's all you need to know about Juniata.

Kelly

I love this school so far. I have attended Juniata for a little over a year, and I still enjoy it here very much. One of my favorite things about this school is how nice and helpful both faculty and students are. Everyone is very friendly. It is also usually very easy to get in touch with professors, although this does vary depending on the professor. The administration is typically helpful, although once again it varies depending on which individual you talk to. Although this is a small school, I think the size is just right. I tend to prefer small class sizes though. Despite the small size, there is a great variety of classes, albeit less than many large schools. The surrounding town of Huntingdon is very small, but there a couple of nice places there to check out. For restaurants, I highly recommend Standing Stone Cafe and Boxer's. There isn't a real student hang out spot on campus, so I usually hang out in my room or in a friend's room. The library is also a great spot to study, and there are usually several classrooms open for studying too. There are only a few complaints I have. Many students say that the cafeteria food leaves a bit to be desired, and I tend to agree. You can usually find something decent enough to eat though. The wok line is a good choice if you are patient enough and can cook a little. The vegetarian options are also starting to improve slowly. I will always remember the people I met here, as I have already met some great friends here. I highly recommend this school, especially if you prefer a small rural environment, just as I do.

Kelly

I love this school so far. I have attended Juniata for a little over a year, and I still enjoy it here very much. One of my favorite things about this school is how nice and helpful both faculty and students are. Everyone is very friendly. It is also usually very easy to get in touch with professors, although this does vary depending on the professor. The administration is typically helpful, although once again it varies depending on which individual you talk to. Although this is a small school, I think the size is just right. I tend to prefer small class sizes though. Despite the small size, there is a great variety of classes, albeit less than many large schools. The surrounding town of Huntingdon is very small, but there a couple of nice places there to check out. For restaurants, I highly recommend Standing Stone Cafe and Boxer's. There isn't a real student hang out spot on campus, so I usually hang out in my room or in a friend's room. The library is also a great spot to study, and there are usually several classrooms open for studying too. There are only a few complaints I have. Many students say that the cafeteria food leaves a bit to be desired, and I tend to disagree. You can usually find something decent enough to eat though. The wok line is a good choice if you are patient enough and can cook a little. The vegetarian options are also starting to improve slowly. I will always remember the people I met here, as I have already met some great friends here. I highly recommend this school, especially if you prefer a small rural environment, just as I do.

Mary

Juniata is the perfect size school for me. If it were any larger I would be pretty overwelmed. One thing in particular that I love about JC are the traditions that they instill. We have Lobster Fest, Mountain Day, Storming of the Arch and many others. This is what makes campus life so interesting and fun. There seems to be a lof of school pride, but I think if our football team was better there would be a lot more. It is a beautiful campus full of historic buildings.

Caitlin

Juniata is a fantastic liberal arts college. It’s small, personal, and friendly. Students are dedicated to their work and do well. The science programs are strongest and most popular. Acceptance rates into medical school are some of the very best in the country and Juniata has had students receive impressive scholarships including numerous Fulbright scholarships. I am so indebted to Juniata. I love this school and I think it’s such a wonderful mix of people. I also believe college is what you make of it. Being at Juniata you are surrounded by students who have that same mentality and strive to take advantage of all the programs and opportunities offered. One of my favorite stories to tell about Juniata is how the school helped me start my own business. As an entrepreneurship major I was really excited by the programs offered by the colleges own business incubator. The incubator, JCEL, give seed capital money to students interested in starting their own business ventures and offered advice, counseling, and space to students. As a sophomore I was in the process of creating an artisan hand painted picture frame business. At the time I originally wanted to put the wood frames together myself and needed access to the chop saws and work space in the art lab. For insurance purposed I wasn’t allowed to use the saws unless I was enrolled in a class. So to get around the loop hole my art professor created a one credit work study for me called ‘The Art of Presentation’ and basically spent an extra hour of her busy week in the studio with me helping me with my frames. She even had a spare set of keys to the saws made so I could get in and work whenever I wanted to. Tell me someone would do that for you at Penn State. I don’t think so. There are countless other examples in different departments of professors who have gone out of their way to help students. At Juniata people want you to be successful and will do everything in their power to help you.