Juniata College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Juniata College

Aine

Cheyenne

Went to school here for my freshman year but transferred. Beautiful campus with a rigorous academic program. Only cons were that nothing ever happened on campus and the nearest city was 2 hours away and that there was an incident of domestic violence that the school failed to address.

Alanna

Juniata College is an extremely small college. It is smaller than my high school. There are about 400 students per class. It is located in Middle of Nowhere, PA surrounded by farms and mountains. The fanciest place to eat in town is at Hoss's Steakhouse (which doesn't serve alcohol so don't go there for your 21st birthday.... not as fun as I would have hoped...) However, there is a Walmart, Weis, McDonalds (just renovated very nice), Wendys, Taco Bell, Burger King (just built next to Walmart), and many family diners. So if you're a city slicker it's going to be a huge adjustment for you. There are many places to go hiking and experience nature. But enough about the town lets talk about the school. Juniata College has the friendliest and most down to earth students and professors that I have ever met. The professors really care about your well-being and want you to learn the material. When something happens in the country or the world (ex: mass shootings, unwanted presidents, etc...) the professors take the time to have an open discussion in class to address any questions or comments students have and make sure all their students are emotionally well. Also, if you're in the environmental science or wildlife majors, Juniata has a field station on Raystown Lake where you can take classes, conduct research, embrace the outdoors because it is further into Nowhere, PA (15 students per semester). The class sizes here aren't that bad either. The largest class sizes you will have will be your freshman intro classes like Biology and Chemistry (maybe like 50-75 students?? No more than that). In my upper level class there are 7 students (including me, I'm a senior environmental science major btw). Now the food. I will be honest. It's not the best, but it's doable. We have many coffee stands in different buildings. We only have 1 dining hall, but some of the coffee stands serve breakfast and lunch. The dining hall just got renovated and we have a new vendor, so they're trying. Some days the food is delicious I'm about to gain the freshman 50, and some days you might want to starve (I'm a picky eater so this may not help so much, but I do like meat and it's deliciousness depends on the kind). But there is a variety of things served on the menu (burgers, pizza, deli, salad & soup bar, etc...) Okay so housing, not the best, but it's what you make it. You have to share a room with at least 1 other person in all dorms except for 1 (mainly juniors and seniors live in it). We don't have A/C in all buildings and all dorms have community bathrooms except for 2 buildings. But, our facilities staff are the best! I mean they are on it, I am a germophobe and those bathrooms are pretty darn clean. I mean still wear your shower shoes, put toilet paper on the toilet seats, and don't eat food off the floor. If Juniata excels at anything, they excel at having a ton of extracurricular activities. We don't have a greek life, but we have mannnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyy clubs, you name it. We have clubs ranging from academics to charity to video games to biking to Pokemon to archery to hunting. Honestly, you name it we probably have it. There are also many research opportunities in numerous majors (however we call them Programs of Emphasis). I personally did research on box turtles (recommended only for those that can handle being peed on and hissed at- 12/10 very sassy). Now time for what you've all been waiting for....*drum roll*...... Night Life! I personally am not involved in a lot of partaying (if that's how the cool kids say it), but from people that do they say it's good. People usually only go out on the weekends not so much during the week. For those 21 years old, there is a bar that has a karaoke night, very entertaining. For those who do not partake in those types of festivities, there are dry events held by Res Life and other clubs. There's movie nights in the pool, stress busters during midterms and finals, trivia nights (Disney jeopardy was harder than you think, and I consider myself the experts of the experts), and other things. There is a nerf club on Saturdays in the larger academic building, it gets pretty intense. One time I walked in the building and was forced to put my hands up when they realized I was a "civilian" and let me go. Overall Juniata is a great school, and you should at least check it out. We have a diverse group of students (surprisingly a lot of international students want to come to the middle of nowhere) and a lot of out of state students too (including myself).

Alyssa

I love Juniata! The class sizes can run large and disability services leave something to be desired, but those are my only complaints. The people are very helpful, and professors are always around. They are even willing to meet outside of their office hours if your class schedule conflicts, which is not often the case at other institutions. My advisors, students here have two, are helpful and genuinely concerned about my progress. Finally, there are a large number of study abroad programs to choose from, which is amazing for me as I love to travel! Plus, study abroad is affordable as it is the same price as tuition. I am glad I chose Juniata!

Joseph

Juniata College is the perfect school for me. It's program for my major is very extensive and hands-on. My fellow classmates are all very outgoing and kind, and I immediately made friends with so many people after I began school here. The faculty is very helpful when it comes to explaining topics in the classroom, and are very approachable outside of the classroom.

Abigail

How to describe Juniata College and the experience of those who attend there is a complicated question, recently posed by the college itself during it's re-branding last year. Many students, including myself find it hard to articulate the sense of community and fellowship experienced by alumni and current students. The close knit community, variety of clubs and activities, and educational opportunities that Juniata has to offer are one of a kind. The small town that surrounds Juniata often becomes a part of the college and the Juniata lifestyle, providing an outlet of activities to participate in outside of campus. The small campus currently struggles with the amount of incoming freshmen and the lack of housing available, posing a frustration for many students. The dorms themselves are not air conditioned, and need to be updated to accommodate everyone. Sudexo, the company that provides the school with meals for the students does it's best to accommodate everyone, though they falter with the lack of options they provide. The academics and intellectual conversations to be had outside of class are what you would expect from any college. They engage and challenge each student to reach their full potential, while also showcasing different world views. The teachers are always available during their office hours for a chat or can be reached anytime through email. Though Juniata college struggles in the areas of campus housing and the meals they offer, they are making an effort to find solutions to these problems. They are a college that shines in their academics, clubs, and sense of community that they provide to each and every student.

sarah

Juniata College is a great college. It's a very community and academically based school. Most people here are really nice and chill. There are always going to be “those people,” but that’s happens wherever you go. everyone has their own friend group, but most people know each other and have a general respect. which is better than most schools in my opinion. The academics are great and the professors are very caring and helpful if you need it. I have only had an issue with one of the faculty members. At juniata you are not just a number. The work is hard like any college, but the hard work pays off. With juniata's POE system, students are allowed flexibility in what they want to learn. For a small school, there is a lot of variety of classes you can take. It's a small town around here, so unless you or a friend have a car it kinda sucks but juniata's activity board and the clubs usually plan events for students on the weekends. if you need to go to Walmart or something though, you can usually find someone to take you so it’s not that big of a deal. There are some places in walking distance though like the cliffs and some cafe's. i never get bored though because jab always has activities, but they might not be everyone’s thing. The weekends are kind of a hit or miss, there are parties basically every Saturday at the east dorms. they can either be really good or really bad. Friday nights are pretty quiet, its just kind of a movie and card game kinda night. The clubs here are okay if you find what you like. Im in the gaming club and its pretty fun. The dorms are okay. It could definitely be worse. most of the ra's are really nice. the rooms are okay but it gets really hot in the summer and early fall because there is no ac, but I think that’s an issue at most schools. the traditions here are really fun too. the food is okay, but is pretty inconsistent. it’s typical college food. it might be better than some schools, though. the staff there are super nice and know your name. juniata provides a nice amount of services like counseling. Juniata really cares about you as a student. I suffer from an anxiety disorder and juniata is very accommodating. I’m able to have an emotional support cat in my dorm! I am glad I chose to go to school here. It was my first choice. Mostly everyone here is so quirky and fun, it really is a special place. Yes, there are people who think they are better than everyone else but I realized that it happens at literally every school. I’ve made a really good group of friends here so that’s all that matters. However, I don't think it's for everyone. There is no greek life and not a huge school, so if you are looking for that then you probably wouldn't like it. The small class size is nice because everyone knows each other, but also word goes around quickly. Juniata can be unorganized and annoying at times, but I know I picked the right school for me. This school is great for you if you are outdoorsy and looking for a personalized education! I think everyone should at least check it out.

Madison

Everyone on campus is very friendly and interested in getting to know each other. Class sizes are small which allows students to know their professors and participate in class. This also allows professors to get to know students and are always willing to help students.

Amily

A perfect home away from home, Juniata College felt like a perfect fit ever since I first step foot on campus. Now a semester in and feeling like an official student, this school is still a wonderful place to be, even with the lacking food services.

It is a great school for a very specific kind of person. It is small and individulized. Juniata is a school for people who like lots of things and come to find their direction and path through the great education here. The food is pretty good, and the parties are ok, but Friday nights are pretty boring here. There is not a lot to do in town but Raystown Lake is nearby!

Dallas

Juniata College is a small campus that allows for great class sizes, giving each student an equal opportunity to learn and succeed. The community feeling that is present on campus is unlike anything I've experience elsewhere. It has the perfect combination of athletics, art, education and fun.

Jenna

Although Juniata is a small school, there is a variety of activities and if you get involved you will never be bored. Everyone is friendly and you are constantly interacting with new people. The food is not the best, however you can get creative in order to make the best of it.

Anna

I absolutely love Juniata College. It is a great small school where academics are taken seriously. It's not about memorizing the material but truly learning it. Although there may not be Greek life there is so many other opportunities on campus. The school is right near Raystown Lake and has a field station on the lake students can live at for a semester. This is very important for my major and I can't wait to see what else this school holds.

Rebecca

I have an individualized Program of Emphasis, Juniata's answer to majors. We have plenty of "designtated" POEs but a pretty big population choose to combine 2 or 3 areas of study and work with lots of different professors. I love being able to build relationships with so many professors and staff members, through both my course work and extra curriculars. It's so easy to get involved and get leadership positions. I am on the executive board of our Activities Board and work with student government, and have two jobs. I get to meet so many people and I love this opportunity. You can't walk across the quad, especially on good weather days, without running into people to say hi to. When it's nice out, you'll pass so many people sitting in hammocks or out on blankets, or playing frisbee or volleyball. Huntingdon is a beautiful town, and the longer you spend exploring the tiny area, the more you fall in love with it.

Martin

Juniata College is inclusive as possible for a college campus. Juniata makes sure that everyone is involved and everyone is succeeding in their academic endeavors. While this determination to see students succeed may turn away some less talkative prospective students, like myself, it isn't as bad as it seems... it's actually extremely helpful. The small class sizes and nice professors make me feel like individual, instead of being part of a group.

X

I love it. I've met great people here and have enjoyed the rigor of the classes.

Carrik

Juniata College is an absolutely exceptional school for academics and student life. The class sizes are small and the professors genuinely care about students. We feel safe enough to leave our bags at the door to the cafeteria. Neither I nor any of my friends have never locked the door to our dorms and it hasn't been a problem or made us worry once. There are plenty of clubs to join with no Greek life because the school thinks that they encourage partying too much. There are still parties on campus on the weekends, but these are generally held at a distant part of campus so that students who do not wish to participate will not have to deal with the loud noise and intoxicated peers. Overall this is a school with strong morals and high expectations for its students while also not expecting them not to act like young adults who can enjoy alcohol responsibly.

Erica

Juniata College is like home to me. I believe that this is the best place for me to succeed academically and personally. There are so many chances for opportunities and experiences at Juniata. The whole campus is friendly. The professors are amazing and always willing to meet even if it has to be outside of office hours and are open to conversation. Overall Juniata is one of the best higher educational facilities that anyone can attend. I truly love the campus and the whole atmosphere. The college also helps with transitioning from high school to the college level. Definitely my best choice and recommendation for anyone looking for a college to attend.

Juniata's environment is very unique and is perfect for some people but doesn't meet everyone's needs. It is a small, close-knit campus, but close-knit in the sense that there are lots of cliques. The academics and study abroad opportunities are honestly what makes it better than competing Liberal Art Colleges, and the professors are absolutely phenomenal. The administration has taken away a lot of things, such as off-campus housing, over the past year, and more often than not, their motive for decision-making is financial. The campus is quite beautiful, with lots of outdoor activities to participate in when the weather is nice, but what makes it more unique is the dynamic between the college and the town that it's located in. Huntingdon, PA is a very conservative and "in the middle of nowhere" kind of town, while Juniata is a college that attracts both liberal, conservative and "in the middle" students. This creates a very interesting and sometimes frustrating social atmosphere for the students, especially in such a sensitive and ever-changing period of time.

Ella

I just completed 4 years at Juniata College. Overall, the class size is good, with around 30 students in a classroom. It's super easy to reach out to the professors during class and even outside of classes. The campus food is just ok, they are improving though. However, there is a BIG problem that is happening for international students. JC introduces itself as no racism, but there are so many racist people, even some professors, and staff. They don't care about what international students say and the staff at JC are bad. They are extremely racist! If something happens to an international student and it's because of them. They will blame it on the international student. If you are an international student, please reconsider! The image that JC has built is just fake. I don't understand! Racisms happen everywhere at school.

Summer

It is amazing! Very community based and welcoming. They have something for everyone. Academics and classes are spectacular. Lots of awesome traditions that leave something for students to be excited about. Cares about mental and physical health along with academics.

Aaron

It's a good school for me. I have ADHD and they provide good support. I really like my classes and the professors. I am impressed with the sciences courses. I love my music study. I like my group, but It can be hard to get to know people, because they are a little aloof.