Kalamazoo College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Kalamazoo College

Kalli

Go to K if you want a great connections, and a education. You will be stressed. The food will suck. In the beginning, you might even wonder, WHY DID I EVEN COME HERE? But, slowly, you will never be able to imagine yourself anywhere else. Every tool you could possibly imagine is here for you to succeed, if you choose to take advantage of it. Your professors will know you, leadership opportunities are abundant, and there are amazing opportunities for professional experience and development. The rigor and difficulty of K, taken holistically, is what makes it such a transformative experience.

Tamara

It's a great school academically but don't really foster a college experience. It's fairly boring and not a lot to explore. College is a time to find and discover yourself. Kalamazoo is not the school or place to do so. The lack f things like a variety of campus organization and a very dull town is the cause of this.

Christian

A small college amidst plentiful culture in a very safe location. Extremely liberal, it is hard to be unaffected by the general liberalism of the campus. This creates either a mindless protester of every issue, lacking independent thought; a backlash of conservativism; or thoughtful individuals with the ability to think for themselves, with understanding for numerous issues. Exceptional science program and language departments, incredible international student and study abroad potential (with aid), and intellectual rigor make this college a ground for shaping brilliant, self-driven graduates and future employees.

Erin

Kalamazoo College: Kalamazoo, Michigan Undergraduates: 1443 Famous for: tennis, study abroad What? Yes, we know. This is an odd combination of characteristics. "K" is a college smaller than your average suburban high school located in a town with a name that better belongs on a old-timey jazz chart than an actual map. But this is just the tip of the iceberg of K College anomalies. -Unlike most colleges, our academic year is divided into trimesters (which confusingly are called quarters) and those are divided into ten weeks. You will be hard pressed to find any current student who knows the real date. -We have no Greek life, but in a school this small, why would you need it? -We live in the shadow of a much larger institution, Western Michigan University, and the strangest thing about this is that if no one told you, you wouldn't even know it. -There is not a party culture. There is likely to be one campus party per weekend night, and all of this is organized on a Facebook page. Yes, a Facebook page. -We go all in for social justice. Kalamazoo College is the first institution in the country to have a building built specifically for advancement of social justice. All of this is to say that Kalamazoo College does not provide the average college experience. However, this is what I love about it. When I arrived on K's campus, I felt like I was already part of a community. There are some downsides to a school as ridiculously small as this, such as fewer majors, fewer classes, and pressure to study abroad. On the whole, though, K is a welcoming place where you will get a rewarding, rigorous education. And that is all I could ask for.

Courtney

Overall, I am extremely happy with my choice in this college. I have found my passion, chemistry. Have built so many amazing friendships and connections through this school. I ended up joining the varsity swim team my sophmore year and was welcomed into the team with open arms. All of these experiences have been slowly preparing me for the rest of my life, showed me what I wish to become and how I wish to carry myself.

Sydney

Kalamazoo college is a great university! The academics are challenging; however, when the work is put in, the results are great. Everyone is very friendly and approachable! The school is small enough where you recognize almost everyone's face. The campus is a great size! It doesn't take that long to walk to classes (this is especially nice in the winter). Overall, I would recommend checking out Kalamazoo College.

Ty

I truly love this place. The class size is perfect to make sure that each student can interact with the professor and get what they need to learn. We're a rigorous school with dedicated students and professors that can be some of the coolest people you've ever met. The weekends do get pretty crazy, though, because we don't have much time to party during the week. The trimester system is great for really exploring classes outside of your major, as well; and 10 weeks fly by when you're working through our course load. It has its problems here and there, but I know that I couldn't have thrived anywhere else the same I have at K.

Karen

As a student who is from a city unlike Kalamazoo I feel welcomed by not only the school but my peers and professors. I enjoy how connected everyone is and how everyone helps each other and tries to improve one another. Even as a student who experienced culture shock there are little things that this school does to make me feel at home.

Rosella

Kalamazoo College offers a personalized, liberal arts education through small class sizes and a small campus feel. K professors are accessible and approachable. K students can get a well rounded education that will help them to adapt and excel in various professional fields.

Jillian

Kalamazoo College is very small which is both a good and a bad thing a times but it does allow for students to create strong relationships with their professors who are always available and willing to help. It is also incredibly expensive which is only outweighed by the education you receive. Everything you learn can be applied to things outside of your class or major and is heavily built on communication.

Audrey

I am overall extremely thankful for the gratifying experience of receiving a higher education at this institution. Never in my life did I see myself attending a higher education from a private liberal arts college. I am entering my senior year graduating an entire year early. It would not have been made possible without the help of Kalamazoo College professors, who both stand as a mentor, and educator for all students. The small classroom size fosters a more conducive environment for students who want to get the most out of their education while having a great relationship with their professor.

Jacob

Excellent school. Was very impressed with the school, facility, and the football program. The school size was comparable to my high school. Small student to facility ratio. Looking forward to seeing the financial aid package that will be offered. It's currently my #1 school. Go Hornets.

Jamison

My overall opinion of Kalamazoo College is that it's a great institution that truly helps prepare for the next step of your life, rather it's going to graduate school or going into the field of the degree you have obtained. Kalamazoo College offers a unique opportunity that many universities and colleges can't offer. For example, every student that attends K College has the ability to go study abroad and see things that college students wouldn't normally see Another unique opportunity that K College gives it's students is the networking system that you can build with alumni that are in a particular work field that you'll like to one day be in. For example, as aa football player we are partnered with alumni that has played football and are now in the work field that we will like to be in one day. Overall K College is one of the top institutions in the United States that truly prepares and gives you confidence to take that next step in your life after college.