Kansas City Art Institute Top Questions

Tempest

First off, I would tell myself to focus more on planning ahead. Although college seems far off, it'll come before I know it and I need to make sure I've saved up and met all important application deadlines. I'd tell myself to find away to enjoy my last summer at home but not to forget to take care of responsibilities. I would remind myself how easy it is for privileges to be taken away, so don't take things for granted. Also, I would tell myself to stay firm yet respectful about the things I believe in. All in all, the best advice I could have gotten would be to have all that I need planned out early so that the summer before freshman year isn't so stressful, and to focus on having a positive summer.

Natasha

I would tell myself that college is going to be even harder than I thought. I would tell myself that I should have worked a lot harder and focused a lot more in the beginning of college. I should have tried to do more art in my freetime, and because I did not, I regret it. I should have tried a lot harder to go above and beyond. Maybe if i had, I would have been "noticed" faster by other artists.

Rhianna

I would remind myself how special this time is, take classes slower, to be less afraid to reach out to fellow students and faculty for assistance in classes immediately. I would have told myself not to stress my gpa status and liberal arts classes so much. I would say to have more discussions with the students in my major, to make closer connections with the people that will be my future colleagues, and dedicate more of my mental and emotional strain into my art work. I would tell myself that it's worth toughing out school life and my work ethic by following the instruction of my professor closer than I did. I would remind myself that doing things my own way isn't necessarily unique, but just stubborn and not always the most effective way to learn. That even if you get by, you shouldn't worry about losing your own voice in your work that it will always show. I would tell myself that living in a dorm or fraternizing with free time isn't what college is about. In conjunction, to appreciate having my family's support, that financial support isn't better than having them nearby.

Lynn

Don't be so shy. Life is way to short to spend it alone. People aren't as scary as they seem.

Kristopher

College is a pusher, and that is in everyway a reference to force of will as much as it is to the coke vans on Troost. You step in with this general idea of how things are. Then, you actually go through them. Your artistic sensebilities are pushed into overdrive - you purchase higher education for a product of an occasional elated feeling and insomnia. All and good for every negative that entails, but in the end that rush and fall leads to a much more rewarding end - growth. Not simply as an artist, but as an individual, I find myself egged onwards - to the point of dropping - by the reward of completion. Completing work isn't just a grade at this place, it's an added piece of self. Your integrity in the studio increases, along with your standing as an artist in general. Your personality is solidified - you know a bit more about who you are. To me, that - finding who you are in what you do - is the most rewarding experience a person can have.

Saundra

I have had the opportunity to create my own path on my own terms. So far I have enjoyed the advanced way of learning through various websites such as D2L and Imail.

Melinda

When I started my educational journey I was very timid and had no self confidence. This was the results of a dysfunctional marriage. My college experience has lifted my self-esteem and made it possible for me to conquer all sorts of things. .I was terrified of any math classes that I had to attend. When I graduated with my Associates degree of Business Administration I was the main tutor of all the math classes that my college offered to their students. I also have started a course through one of the sites that I interned at to conquer Algebra I, II, and Geometry. I will eventually conquer Trigonometry as well. College gave me the ability to grow in my personal and professional life. I now help friends that are looking to start small local businesses. It has been a very rewarding experience. It has also allowed me to show my 3 children that you can conquer anything that you fear as long as you put your mind to it and face it head on.

I have recieved a greater sense of my limits and what I can do. At first I simply drew how I wanted, but by making myself draw objects I wouldn't normally draw, I've gotten better and have enhanced my own style. I didn't like this at first either, but gradually through these weeks, I've begun to notice a more refined, more complex me. If I had gone any where else, I probably wouldn't have discovered this. If I hadn't attended I probably would've always been drawing how I'm used to drawing and I never would've gotten any better. I wouldn"t begin to understand who I am or why I do what I do.

Tom

There were three reasons I went back to school at 37. One, to finally get the piece of paper that said I was professional, two, to stay current on design and three, to get out of the rat race and the machine like design for the corporate world that says, "here's my vision, now help me make it happen." I have loved my first year in design school because they have helped me to find what is my vision and how can I make that work. What I feel now is not how can I do what other people want but how can I do what I want to do, produce what's in me because there's a lot of stuff in there! It's been so refreshing to be in a community of people who want you to succeed for the sake of yourself, not anyone else.

Laedan

First off most importantly, I want to say that if I could go back in time, that would be AWESOME!. ok, now the question.. hmm I think the most important thing to try and get used to for me are all the expenses. There's tuition, gas, food, materials, gas,more food,leting your friend borrow some money for a bag of dorritos from the vending machine!. I would go back and tell myself to start saving up early as soon as i started my senior year, get a job and work my butt off. Yeah, i thought i wouldn't have time to work in highschool, but now seeing how busy I am in college, I see I had plenty of time in highschool, that I should have taken advantage of, but being the procrastinator that I am, i put off applying for scholarships. So i had to kill myself everyday of the summer applying. I ended up getting enough scholarships to pay my first year, but if I would have started earlier, i would have plenty extra scholarship money for those extra expenses. So this year i've started my scholarships early, including this COOL one! Thanks alot!

In high school I was very much secluded from others and easily intimidated. Moving to a college away from home, gong into a feild which I loved, but was also intimidated by, terrified me completely. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say to get out of my shell and stop being scared of everything. I was worth more than the quality of my artwork, and I could easily make friends who would stick with me and prove to be a wonderufl support. College isn't as frightening as I was expecting, and critiques are only temporarily scathing. A bad critique does not mean I'm a bad artist, but that there is so much for me to obtain. I would tell myself not to be scared to accept and learn new things, for my shell was art, and not it has expanded and changed me for the better.

Don't be afraid to experience college life to it's fullest; it is a fun, unique, and incredibly time in your life that will be over before you know it. Be prepared to be completely responsible for everything about your new life: your food choices, the complete freedom of activities, making sure schoolwork gets done, and keeping track of finances. You are an adult now - no one is going to take your hand and help you take baby steps! Be open to the unexpected and the unusual; you never know who might be your new best friend or what might be your new favorite activity. Explore everything the campus and the city that is your new home has to offer. Meet people outside of the school. At college, it isn't only about how you grow academically - it's also about how you grow as an individual. Know that you are going to change, but that it's alright. Don't spend all your time alone in your dorm room studying, but don't stay out every night partying. Balance yourself, and soak up everything you can before it's over and you're on your own!

Cydney

While in highschool make sure you figure out a practical method for note taking. I have found that taking notes during a lecture is extremely beneficial to my learning experience. Usually someone cannot immediately absorb everything you have learned, thus the process of taking notes and going back to them in the future helps refine your knowledge of a certain subject.

Norris

Do not procastinate becuase it perpetuates. This is what I would tell my highschool self after seeing it happen to myself and others in there first year of college.Once your giving an assignment jump on it until its finished. If you wait until the last minute your entire schedule will be out of whack. It'll be like that for a couple of weeks if you have alot of classes. It will cause you to handle one class lukewarmly. Before you start your year off evaluate why your going and your aspirations. This willl you give you the will power to drive up those up hill slopes in the middle of the semester. Where ever you are staying get a picture of your aspiration and tape it to your door . I have a appliction for Nike becuase I want to be an athletic clothing designer. Your inspiration maybe something you promised to your mom or to honor some one dear to you thats passed. During your Christmas break you should also revive yourself, think back when you were a kid zealous about whatever it is your going to college for.

If I was able to go back and give myself schooling advice I would be very thankful. I would tell myself to work hard. Go to school more and get better grades. I would stress that deadlines won't change because you think they should. Start early on searching for the right school. Think about your future. Make sure to apply for scholarships early. For the most part be prepared.

Luke

If I could go back and give myself advice as a high school senior I would have told myself to start researching school early and don't be afraid to take that leap out of your comfort zone. When deciding, 3 years later, to apply to an out of state school, I took that leap and it was the best decision I have made in my life thus far. It was somewhat accidental but I could not have planned it out better myself, it has truly been the experience of a lifetime thus far and I have and continue to learn more than I ever imagined. I can not wait to get out and see the world and implement my learning in to something that will truly make a difference.

?You are a strong, intelligent, and talented woman?don?t give up on yourself, and don?t lose focus.? Out of all of the words I could possibly say to myself, I find this small phrase to be the most pertinent. The transition into college was a difficult one, and lacked positive reinforcement. I had little support from my family, my peers led me to distraction, and my employer acted as if the two days a week that I dedicated to school in my personal time off was burdensome. Even though I passed my first semester of school with a 3.8 GPA while making the Dean?s List for Academic Success, I lacked the confidence due to the lack of moral support I experienced, as well as the motivation to keep at it when I was simultaneously burdened with term papers and paying my own bills. Had someone said to me then the advice I would?ve given myself, I might have pursued my education sooner, rather than shift my focus to my career. In the end, nothing can be more important to success than faith in one's self.

Hailey

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to step up my game and be more studious in my general education classes. Also, since I was currently taking several fine arts classes, I would inform me to push myself a lot harder and challenge myself more with my work. I would let myself know that I should study about and work on my use of the basic formal properties of art such as composition, line, material, subject, etc. I would tell myself to branch out and experiment with more materials, compositions, and subjects. I would also definitely let myself know that doing some life-drawing exercies would help as well. Overall, my intended message to myself would be to basically dive head-first into my art, and push myself above and beyond my limits.

Don?t let anyone else talk you into what you should do about your future. You know yourself better than anyone else. There is no need to rush into college if you don?t have it figured out yet. Go to community college for a few semesters. Take classes in all the different things you are interested in. You may end up wanting to do something completely different then what you thought to start, and you don?t want to waste a lot of money finding that out at a costly university. You save money if you take your basic classes at the community colleges. Do A LOT of research. Pick five top schools, and apply to them all. You want to see what kind of scholarships they offer you. Talk to the admissions councilors over the phone too. Don?t be afraid to ask them questions. You are NOT bothering them. It?s there job! They want you to go to their school! Also, apply for scholarships!! Even apply for the ones you don?t think you?ll get. The more money you can get for school, the easier your life will be when you?re out of it.

Esmeralda

I would advice my self to go to a community college first. Although I love my school it is so expensive and I really can not afford it. That is the only thing I would advice.

I could have used some more maturing and preparation throughout highschool. Without a doubt, the first thing I'd discuss with myself is the intense change of moving, losing touch with close friends, and the harsh financial concerns that come with first moving out and away from your family. Following that up, I'd mention that I should study graphic design and contemparary art considerably before entering colllege. The knowledge isn't required of our school, but having the fore-knowledge would certainly influence the portfolio I submited to KCAI. Finally, I guess I'd have to remind myself to breath. The workload our school puts on our students is intense, and it's easy to lock yourself up in your appartment or studio and work around the clock. I'd have to remind myself to live life, and get connections out there in the world.

I would tell myself to get ready. Get ready to work and to work hard. It's not going to be as easy as high school. At college, you don't have a week to get a painting or other project done. I would tell myself about the deadlines that I have to meet and complete with exceptional progress every time. Yeah, I would tell myself that I could have fun, but homework and school comes first. And, I would tell myself that I can't just try to get something done. I have to apply myself and DO it. There is no trying. I could not stress that enough to myself. Because that is the main thing that I need to stress on. The dream cannot become a reality unless you work hard and stop at nothing to pursue it.

Terry

I would tell myself to remember to always be openminded of other people and their ideas. I would tell myself that every person has the same potential, no matter who they are or where they come from. I would remind myself to treat others the way I want to be treated. I would encourage myself and others to constantly take risks: you only live once. At the same time, it is important to remember where you are and why you are there, and to be responsible.

Wen

The advice I would give my highschool senior self is to forget about everything taught to me during highschool. You only need to retain the materials from 5th grade down to function in society. Prepare yourself to specialize in your major and make room for the dense material.

If I could speak to my pre-college self I would say this: Julie, you know that you are a social person. Friendships and relationships are very important to you, they always have been, but don't let them determine your study habits. When something fails in your social life, and you are upset, you are going to feel inclined to lay around, watch movies, just relax and tell yourself to take it easy. I would like to inform you that this is not the best medicine. It won't make you feel better about how you made a drunken fool of yourself Friday night, or how your boyfriend dumped you. The one thing that will always get your back on your feet again, 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the time, is going to studio. Being productive. The hardest part is getting out of bed and actually getting there, but once you do, you begin to feel like yourself again. You will feel strongerand more confident, and at least the academic aspect of your life won't slip in addition to everything else. When everything feels horrible just get up, put on your favorite outfit, grab a cup of coffee, and begin sketching.

Adriana

I would tell myself to study harder because I did not have good study habits and I have had to work extra hard to bring up my GPA from a few classes where I partied instead of just doing the homework. A few more hours a week would have saved me so much time and helped me qualify for a lot more scholarships!

"HEY! Art is great, but you love math, you love science, you love to read and to write, why are you looking at going to a school that only offers you one of these passions? You have a tendency to make up your mind about something and shut every thing else out. When you start looking at colleges, this is the worst possible mind set you can have. Look at some schools you normally wouldn't expect to go to. Look at schools that are not specifcally art oriented. You desire an education in so many different things and yet here you are, looking at only one type of school with only one type of education to offer. Don't limit your possibilities. And as much as it hurts to say this, listen to your mom, she actually has some good input."

marc

This is a difficult question, one that has plagued mankind for thousands of years. When I first considered the question, a torrent of moments from my life flooded my consciousness. My brain began to take on water like a ship lost in a wayward storm. If I could go back I could warn myself about my past relationships, I could know what school to go to, what major to stick with, I could tell myself to spend more time with my grandmother because the next time id see her she would be in a casket. Naturally it was difficult to come up with an answer, but I feel I have found it. If I could go back in time I would tell myself nothing. Because it is our failures, as well as our successes that make us the people we grow up to be. As much as I want to go back and warn the wayward youth I used to be, that wayward youth I still am; I know that facing my failures and learning from them will teach me more than avoiding them. We cannot promote backwards thinking we must look forward, and affirm life with no regrets.

Kayleigh

Don't pay for your first year out of pocket. It was a decission everyone around me support, but it was one of my biggest mistakes. Accept the loans you can Freshman year, so that no matter what, you can continue to your edducation after your Sophemore year. The Financial Aid office won't really help you out very much, so it's better to start early with loans, so you can carry on through the next four years. Also, don't skip class, no matter how tempting, unless you're really sick. Just push yourself to your limits and beyond to achieve an artistic dream you've had since childhood. Sleep on weekends, work as hard as you can through the week, and never fall short of the best. Don't take the easy way out, because there's nothing to learn down that path. Never tell yourself you're fighting through art school to prove your family wrong, but to prove to yourself that you can do anything. Don't get cocky, but don't sell yourself short, either! And never, EVER forget that your family is only a phone call away.

Zoe

Be involved and active in your own experience. Going to college is not a given or a right--it is a special opportunity, one that only lasts a short amount of time. The experience is what you make of it. This is why being involved and active--from your choice of which college you attend (by visiting beforehand and talking with students and faculty), to using resources and facilities to their fullest is very important. Remember that you are surrounded by people that care about the same things you do--both students and faculty--and that this is a rarity. Be involved in campus activities. Take work study jobs. Attend events. Volunteer. Make attempts to not only develop friendships with classmates and faculty, but also administators and staff members. These people are there for you and they have information and life experience to share. Do not complain about the way things are on your campus--ask questions and a seek understanding about the bigger picture. This will help you to figure out not how your school can change to enhance your experience, but how YOU can change to enhance your own experience. And finally: go to class always.

Be open to change and new possiblities. Do not try to plan everything out because things change. Don't be disillusioned about the college utopia. Do more research about the schools before committing. The surrounding area has a huge impact on the quality of life so if the area surrounding the school is not satisfying chances are the school won't be either.

I would tell myself that relationships are not as important or necessary as one might think. Not having a girlfriend/boyfriend is perfectly fine and allows one more space and time to focus on academics and make successful arrtwork that will make one fell happy about their path in life. You don't notice this until it's too late! Never allow someone like a significant other take you away from your college career. I would also stress the importance of reading books to further your knowledge! It is so easy to be taken by the internet and partying, but they are not as important as school work/ Finally, I would tell myself to become more involved in extra-curicular activities because they keep you busy with work that is, usually, benefiting the school and/or the community. These activities also provide a meaning for life, they help you feel good about being an artist and a part of the world.

Alejandro

The best advice I could give myself is to relax, and not let all the pressure get to you. The transition is not as hard as it seems. College is actually a lot easier to adjust to than high school was. Your going to a place where more people understand you and are interested in the same things. Save up some money though, living on your own isnt as easy as it looks.

Mackenzie

I would love to go back and talk to myself knowing what I know now. As a highschooler I thought I was just fine, sitting back and letting things just kind of happen. Trying to get into an art school was harder than I thought, there are so many extra things to prepare just to apply. If I could go back I would tell myself to wakeup and stop procrastinating. I have realized how much money it really takes, expecially going to a private art school. I would tell myself to save up from working over the summer, to apply for scholarships until my fingers fell off, and to save up every penny I could get my hands on. I would also tell myself to pack more food before I leave for school. Ha, let's just say the cafe food isn't the best, even compared to highschool food. Although at the time I thought I was doing a good job and getting ready to make the big move, I wish I would have tried a bit harder. Not only to help myself out but, to help my parents out financially.

Gaining knowledge empowers you and enriches you. Be brave and believe in yourself, you can do it. You are not alone, there are people there to support you, to help you and to encourage you. They want you to succeed. You will be challenged and through your successes, you will find your strengths. It's not all fun and games, but the rewards are worth the effort. You will find other people who think like you and who enjoy learning. You will establish relationships that will be long lasting. You will also be given the opportunities to contribute to the community by sharing your experiences with others and you will learn through that. Every thing you learn is something you walk away with, that no one can take from you. It will give you the tools to continue learning and to find successful positions and social situations that you find satisfying. You will always know that if you change your direction, you will have the recources to prusue your new interests. You will gain confidence through your educational experience. Your opportunities for advancement will increase with continued education as well.

I never knew college was an option for somebody like me. I come from a family with a hardworking blue collar mentality. I knew in my heart that I was meant to do something with the visual arts, but I lost my mother and my motivation when I was 16. I didn't start pursuing my dream until I was 25. Recieving the gift of education has helped repair my damaged soul. I would tell that young girl that she has important work to do, and to transform her pain into empowerment. You can feel the weight of your past, but don't let it crush you as you begin this jouney. Small goals lead to bigger unimaginable plans as you anxiously anticipate your future. Most importantly don't forget to live in the present. This is your life, stop waiting for it to start. Stay unique and create your own happiness in ways that are conducive to the life you want to live. You will make mistakes and you will make bad decisions; however don't live in fear of those failures. If you give it everything you have, and keep strengthening your character you will never fail.

The future will happen regardless of whether you think you're in control of it or not; there is no reason to stress. All you can do is do your best right now. If you think you've done enough work, work some more. If you think you're at your limit, think again. Success, in the end, is only sweet because of all the sweat that came before it.

Dominique

Take AP courses. Enroll in extracurrical activities. Support the community. Work harder at school.

Philip

When you get there it's not about the the grades. All of high school is about making the numbers to prove yourself to to colleges, parents, society. College is for you. Apply youself as best you can and then go beyond that. College, and especially art schools are about gaining personal knowledge and motivation, and perfecting a skill that many do not have. Apply yourself to the work. What you do reflects who you are in both the academic world and beyond. Apply yourself to life. What you get out of college is what you put in. Live your life during college as if all depends on college. Apply yourself socially. Those around you in school will be the ones you can rely on to vouch for your work ethic later in life. In everything you do in college, apply yourself.

If i were to go back in time i would really love to find a school exactly like KCAI with a 5 year undergraduate plan. this is based on how fast time goes while using my time wisely. as an artist most of what i wanted at that time was to be a painting major and with the 3-d infrstucture that i now posses its still not too late to do so. i wish i would advise myself to work hard during the summer to own a truck so that i may travel when necessary. many of my studies have to do also with off campus visits to buying materials and supplies in creating things that i need, if i were to go back i would really love to plan these four years well. also to know how far i was traveling to incase my parents would ever visit; since I've been here my family has not visited or made an effort to see where and what im studying but it worked out having a few months to go. i also wished to 4/5 of my tuition would be inscholarships or better. thank you

kat

Kate, do not worry about anything. You'll make friends in no time. Your family will support you all the way. Keep studying and don't slack off because once you start it's hard to get back on track. Classes are going to be fun as long as you pay attention and study. Do not be afraid to speak up in class, you're not interrupting anything; your teachers like it when you ask questions.

Stay on the exact same path you are on now becuse you have an amazing colleg experience.

Shane

If i were to go back in time and give myself advice, it would be to not let myself get so distracted by relationships. I would tell myself to be married to my major and not allow myself to be distracted by being in a relationship. I would also tell myself to start saving my money and not spend it on lavish thigs, because every bit of money i've made goes to this school and leaves very little for living essentials, and loans are not the most friendly of things a couple years down the road.

I would have told myself that if I really want to go to college make every single day the best. Don't party so much that it effects your school work because it really isn't worth it at all. I would say, be yourself and do only what you feel like you want to do. Don't get in any serious relationship that will efffect your school work. Also, don't think anything is the end of the world, take a deep breath and move forward. Have fun and call your parents, don't lwait for them to call you. Don't sign anything that you havn't read or completly understand. Lastly, think ahead to the future, if you don't you will be left in the past.

casey

Study harder and make high school worth more, be more out going and more studious. Apply for as many scholorships as possible, college is expensive. Learn more in/about life, its okay to take some risks, and go for your dreams there's no better time than now.

Lydia

It's more important for the student to be completely happy with the school they are attending than for them to be at a school that will guarantee them success, that's cheap, or close to home. If a student is interested in the arts, parents should support their desires.

Go with what you want to do and talk to financial aid, don't let money limit where you want to go. Apply for FASFA and even if you have to take out some loans to make ends meet, and good education at the right school that will bring you the best career options is well worth it and will pay itself.

It isn't about the location, do not hesitate to attend where you think you may not be accepted, it makes your experience stronger and that of your peers. Look at a smaller size to get a larger impact, do not be afraid of departure from the familiar or departure from comfort. Take the best deal and only the best. Counter in what you are looking for in the curriculum not the location. College is what you make it, it's about your mindset and your ability to focus. They can't do all the work, you have to meet them halfway. The college or institution gives you the tools and knowlage, you have to work with it, it doesn't do everything for you.

Vist the college you want to go to before you agree to go. and but open and honest with everyone.

Make sure you find a college where their name doesn't matter as much as the quality of the student's learning. Make sure it has a workload you can handle and make sure to still have a social life in the process. It will only make your time at college harder if you don't have any friends to support you. While you should do your work as much as you can, never forget to have fun and, if you're having a hard time with a project or assignment, take some time to break and relax so that you can finish it with a clear mind. If you're having problems with a class, hunt down the teacher and make sure to talk to them and find out what can be done to keep your grades going well. Also look to any help the college provides so that there is someone else to help you out if you are lost on what to do or are feeling crummy. Never give up on your goals and don't let anyone push you around or force you out of them, not even your professors.