Manhattan, KS
Kansas State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kansas State University

Paul

My favorite thing about KState is the atmosphere and how the campus is laid out so that everything isn't that far away. I also get quite favorable reactions when I tell people that I go to KState. So this is a respected facility. KState has a great administration for the most part, and many of them are very willing to help you succeed. I would also have to say that KState is very much part of a college town. Aggieville is just south of campus and a pretty short walk from anywhere on campus. There is quite a bit of school pride at KState, and with the basketball team that we had this year it definitely did a great job at complimenting that pride.

KState is a pretty diverse college, and on top of that there are many european and asian exchange students. The students are also quite politically aware and there are visits by top government and civilian leadership positions. This last year we had the defense secretary Robert Gates visit and talk about his position.

No. Although there are some people here from the country, most are from well defined cities across the nation. There are quite a few engineers here, but I would have to say that there is definitely quite a bit of variation among the different majors here as well.

I have a couple favorite classes which are Calc 1 with Professor Moore, and Leadership studies in general. Students are competitive here and there is a mutual sense of camaraderie as far as succeeding in your studies go. Your professors are always there to help and they will work as well as they can to see to your assistance.

I am in ROTC and this requires a great amount of effort and fortitude to do well in. There is also Aggieville to the south which is where all the bars and some of the restraunts are. Faternities and sororities are good places to meet people but I am not part of one at the moment.

That we're all farmers and engineers.

Chris

KSU has a beautiful campus located in the Kansas Flinthills. KSU is the smallest of the big 12 schools but certainly the friendliest as well. K-State is a well respected University. A degree from KSU actually means something, which is more than can be said about most other Kansas colleges and universities. Manhattan is a fantastic town with lots of things to see and do and an awesome college scene with "aggieville" right next to campus. KSU has more pride than any other big 12 school and it shows. If your interested in agriculture, KSU is the number 1 agriculture school, with the best and brightest ag professors in the nation. Don't waste you time or money going someplace lessor.

Probably not a place for radical liberals or eco-nuts athough sustainable agriculture, art, music and philosphy classes are available for those who want them. Most folks are middle class midwestern americans. Politically center.

Kansas State University is a great place. If I had it to do over again I would go back....twice.

There is a large population of students from rural areas, as you would expect from any university in the midwest, however KSU does maintain a good diversity of cultures, majors and political opinions.

Professors were friendly and knew my name even though I may have had 50 or 100 classmates. They were always willing to take time to help me out, even when I knew they were obviously busy. Education at KSU is geard toward you getting a job when you graduate. I still count some of my professors as friends although I have long since graduated. The best class I ever took was a livestock production class (advanced beef) - no boring textbooks - actual tours of livestock industy companies and seminars covering real world topics.

Plenty of greek life and GDI life as well. Athletic events are hugely popular as school spirit runs sky high. Guest speakers include presidents and other world leaders. Bar scene is first rate. Student lounge is a great place for fun non drinking activities. Lots of great restaurants. Manhattan is a pizza lovers dream.

Katie

My favorite thing about K-State is that everyone is so friendly and welcoming. I remember when I visited the school for the first time that everyone was smiling and saying hi to each other. Now as I walk through campus I cannot make it to a class without seeing someone I know and stopping to chat. I absolutley love this aspect of the school because although it is a large university it still has a small town feel to it.

While there is not a huge variety in cultures at K-State, I feel that the KSU student body does a good job of educating the students on diversity. The majority of students at K-State are republican but open to listening to others ideas.

I love K-State. I would NEVER go anywhere else. When I first came to college I thought the phrase "Bleed Purple" was weird but now that I am moving onto my senior I can agree that I "bleed purple" and will for the rest of my life. My heart belongs to KSU!

No, while a lot of students are from rural Kansas there are a lot of students from cities or that are not majoring in agriculture.

My absolute favorite class at Kansas State was Sex and Health with Kelly Welch. I felt that this class was interesting and helped me to learn about the different things that students can go through in their every day life. Not only was it interesting by every class that I have taken with Kelly Welch has been fun and exciting. I feel that the academics at K-State are top notch. The professors actually care about their students and for the most part the classes are small. I think that having small classes helps to make the learning more personal and it is easier to ask questions.

I have met my closest friends through my sorority, Alpha Chi Omega. Greek life at K-State is huge with the majority of the school involved in a fraternity or sorority. While there are a lot of students are greek, life is not only about drinking like most would expect. The greeks are involved in Go Green and making the community of Manhattan a better place. I love the social life at K-State and have found when I go to visit friends at other schools that there is no social life that can compare to KSU!

sarah

I feel that k-state can feel as big or as small as you'd like it to. It was just the right fit for me. The town of Manhattan is big enough to carry the essentials but you can drive from one end of town to the other in about 10 minutes max. This is great with rising gas prices, and you can walk anywhere on campus, they say everything is a ten minute walk or less and thats been true so far for me.

Everyone is fun, relaxed ,and friendly

There is a large majority of students involved in agriculture, but thats how we started, so it only seems natural.

The classes are typically small enough that you can get to know your teacher if you so choose. However, in the majority of my classes, I have had to make an effort to make a relationship with my professors and they have all been more than willing to help. My favorite class Human Body because my teacher, Dana Townsend, dedicated so much extra time into helping her students and making sure we understood/ felt that she cared about each of us.

There are so many ways to get involved at K-State. Greek life is a big part of social life at k-state, a large portion of students participate and enjoy every minute of it. There are also non- greek activities everywhere.

The agricultural stereotype is hard to excape, but I have nothing to do with agriculture and find plenty the K-state can offer me.

Jerry

The students are my favorite part of K-State. All are welcoming, and fun to be around. They are diverse, and bring with them different groups to belong to. The town itself is very open armed to K-State students. They do a lot for the community, and the community does a lot in return.

There are groups for every sort of student at K-State. As stated in the stereotypes, we are often viewed as an agricultural college bordering on extreme conservatism, which is clearly not the case. The students vary more here than any other I've seen. Although race is not the big diversity factor at K-State I will admit. Caucasion students are very dominant, but the non-white students present at K-State have as much available to them in the way of cultural groups, as any other group might. We are very balanced when it comes to left or right sides, we have a good deal of both.

Not at all. K-State is incredibly diverse and caters to all sorts of students

As a freshman, it's difficult to get acclimated to the large class sizes. But luckily the large classes tend to only be for Freshmen and Sophomores. By the time you have your major chosen, your classes shrink, your professors know you quite well, and you feel more acknowledged. Although, I will vouche for the larger class professors, they make themselves available to students outside of classes, making it easier to stand. I took a course on Harry Potter, moreover the impact Harry Potter had on society in general, but it was extremely hard, and absolutely amazing. K-State students often times get hired before they've even graduated. K-State is highly reguarded, and I am very impressed with how students deal with the academic side.

K-STATE FOOTBALL!!!! A big thing here on campus, reguardless of whether or not we're winning that particular season. Tailgating, cheering, student bonding, you name it, football provides it. It also brings the community into the college scene. The dorms tend to leave their doors open, most at least, especially the coed dorms. There is always something going on campus, whether it's a sporting event, something put on by the Union Program Council (they bring in different bands or acts etc.), or something put on by any of the other organizations. Aggieville is the major part of K-State social life. Although there isn't much to do if you're under 21, there are a few local bars that are 18 and over after 9 pm. Kite's, is the coolest sports bar ever, and the place to be when games are out of town. Fraternities and Sororities are... well I'm not involved in them. I have a few guy friends in Frats, but that's about it. They think they're big on campus, and I'm not really a fan of them. Some of them however are amazing groups of people... the tri delts i would suggest staying away from.

That is an entirely agricultural based college and is highly conservative.

I think the best thing about K-State is the people and the atmosphere. It just feels like a big community and people make friends quickly all the time just because it is such an open and friendly atmosphere. I would only change maybe the speed limit going down Claflin...20 mph in the middle of the day kinda sucks sometimes. I also feel like K-State is just the right size because it's big enough to have alot of options on people to hang out with and things to do, but it's not so big that you get lost in the huge crowd of people and don't feel connected.

My experiences have been very positive concerning diversity and acceptance. Even with the stereotype that K-State is a hicktown, I've found that people are not "hickish" or non-accepting of others. Actually, people tend to be very friendly to anyone no matter their race of sexual orientation or whatever. It's a very accepting environment. I'm not really sure what kind of student would feel out of place here.

Go to K-State! It's an awesome school and the town is so unique and it will be an experience you'll never forget. Also, put yourself out there because your college experience will be good or bad depending on if you come in with an open mind and what effort you put into getting to know people and doing new things.

I don't think these are accurate. There are more Ag students but that's just because the Ag school is so big here. There are tons more different types of students and alot more diversity than some people expect. There are things to do all the time so I never find that I'm bored.

At K-State for the most part I've had professors that know your name unless the class is a lecture style classroom with a larger amount of students. Even with a few of the lecture ones though, I've had professors that still remember the majority of the students names after awhile. My favorite classes are the Social Work classes I've taken because it is interesting because it's my major. But, a really interesting teacher to get is Kelly Welch who teaches FSHS classes like Human Development. She makes it so interesting and she's HILARIOUS.

That it's all a bunch of Ag students and that it's a hicktown or that it is boring compared to KU just because it isn't the "big-city" feel of Lawrence.

On campus there are of course sororities and fraternities to get involved in, however there are many other ways to get involved. Just living in the dorms provides a bunch of friends and activities. I lived in Moore and my floor because very close and almost 2 years later, the majority of us still are good friends and my 2 roommates for next year are both from my Moore floor. I would recommend if you are a girl and want to make a lot of new friends not to live in Ford Hall just because I've heard from almost every other girl who's lived there that people don't really leave their doors open or socialize much probably because it's suite-style. Even if communal bathrooms don't sound great, it actually is a good thing and being in a co-ed, communal dorm myself, people on my floor left their doors open all the time and we even sang in the showers to our "communal" radio.

Andrew

The campus is well laid out, and people are generally friendly. The buildings are sometimes old, but renovations to the interior bely the beautiful exterior that many hold. The town can seem small, but there is everything a college student needs to survive. Students hold lots of pride in K-State, and Aggieville is fun from Thursday to Sunday.

The campus is hardly diverse. I felt like I had entered the Blue Valley district upon first reaching K-State. LGBT issues are rarely discussed widely, but said students definitely exist on campus. Many students I've encountered fall either into the categories of suburbanites or farmers. Not much exists in between. Also, most students in the Engineering curriculum come from well off families. The political sentiment on campus is mostly right wing, with a recent protest for concealed carry on campus proving that point. However, small groups of students like myself do fall into the more liberal category.

Though success in football and basketball seems fleeting at times, the school is successful in many other sports. All the rest of said stereotypes ring mostly true.

Despite large lectures for major classes, the professors seem genuinely focused on teaching undergraduate courses. Many stress their office hours and help sessions, and smaller recitation classes provide a very personal experience. The average grade in many classes and on tests is a C, and getting an A in many classes is an accomplishment. The range of classes offered is huge, both in the areas of extracurricular classes and within each major. The engineering college at K-State is widely regarded as very successful. With an expansive set of buildings and ample funding, the programs draw high schoolers from all over the world. However, the number of females in the programs is relatively small, with Electrical engineering being one of the worst offenders. However, upon completion of the programs, students genuinely seem to be ready for a real job.

More farmers, less diverse campus, not successful at sports, but an excellent school for engineering and agriculture

Dorm life in general can seem fairly seclusive. On most floors, people leave their doors close and rarely socialize. However, on my engineering cluster floor, the environment is much more positive. Most of this is the work of our RA's. Athletic events are hugely popular at K-State, with the largest examples being football and basketball. The dating scene is OK, though nice restaurants are in short supply. Parties are extremely common on Friday evenings, as the dorms seem almost like ghost towns. Frats and sororities are common and popular, as many are wet. There are campus provided activities for the evenings on weekends, but not many people attend them.

Jenny

Kansas State is just that Kansas State. It is an amazing school that cares about the students. The students who attend Kansas State have a large amount of Student Pride. On football weekends you will find a large majority of the student body over at the football stadium tailgating waiting for that weekends game to begin and just enjoying time with their friends. During basketball season students will line up hours before the games begin to get courtside seats to cheer their mighty wildcats on. Our students have also started their own scholarship fund called Kansas State Proud which includes scholarships available for the students funded by the students. Our administration tries really hard and our current president has really turned the school around from what it was in the past to a thriving college campus. They try to provide us with the best oppertunities possible including guest speakers coming to campus who we would not get to hear and or meet otherwise. Recent speakers include President George W. Bush, and past President Bill Clinton. As far as places to hang out on campus we have the Student Union which is like any other college union has food, games, and fun. We also have the Library which is huge and a great place to meet up for group projects and or study for tests. The Library even has a coffee shop available so you don't need to leave for those late night coffee breaks. Dorm life for the incoming students is always fun. The Resident Assisstants try their hardest to get new students plugged in and involved with welcome back events and floor meetings and compititions. It is always nice on those early mornings not having to worry about cooking also with the cafeteria just a hallway away from the dorms, and right on the way to class.

Kansas States Student Body is very diverse. We have many different student groups and populations from HALO which is a Hispanic leadership organization to a Gay, Bi, Transgender, Progressive Fraternity. For students who are looking for Religious Organizations there are many groups that meet over the week, from ones that have small group meetings in the dorms to groups that meet off of campus. I feel that no student would feel out of place at Kansas State University. We have such a diverse population. We have students from all over the world who call Kansas State home. Coming from all different backgrounds and financial situations. We have students who are from the big city of Kansas City (the largest city in "Kansas"), down to students who grew up on farms and in other countries.

The farm school is false. yes we do have a agriculture division of the school as well as a Rodeo team, but that doesn't make us a farm school in anyway. We have students from all over the country and even the world that attend Kansas State. True, The students at Kansas State are very friendly. It is hard to walk across campus and not have people to smile at or say hi to. If you need help with something other students are more than happy to help and the faculty will go out of their way if you need some extra help in classes. Also there are so many different activities to get involved in it is easy to meet people when first starting school and make new friends. The next one is False. Yes the school is in Kansas but that doesn't mean there is nothing to do. Manhattan is a pretty large town and there is a shopping mall in town for the girls who like to shop, and there is also stuff to do around town, We have pillsbury crossing which is a creek that is popular for cookouts and hanging out on Hot fall and Spring Days. We have Tuttle Creek Resivor where there is a boat rentel place for spending the day out on the lake. For those who are looking for some night life we have Aggieville which is a strip of bars, and clubs and resteraunts to hang out at . Some are only 21 and over, but others will let you in if you are 18. We also have a movie theater, mini golf course, and other activities can be found around town.

Classes seem to be a necessairy evil when it comes to college. Of course the lower level academic courses are going to be larger in lecture format but there are also recetations for the large classes that have a smaller class format. Also even though the classes in lectures are large for low level the teachers still know you and what to help you. As you get into higher level classes they tend to get smaller and once you are in your major courses you will have the same teacher over different classes which is always a postivie as you can truley get to know your teachers. The most unique class i have taken is Field Experience where i got to go and spend time in a grade school classroom two days a week. This really helped me to understand if my major was for me, as well as it was an enjoyable break from the "normal" class. Kansas State does want to gear you towards getting a job after college. They will help you to find internships and host job fairs throughout the year to help you find that job when it is time to graduate and move on from that college education.

That it is a "farm" school. That Kansas State Students are friendly! That its in Kansas, there is nothing to do in Kansas.

Cassie

I had alot of trouble with K-State's administrative offices. They are very disorganized, and although teachers are very apt to help you out and treat you as an individual, the offices treat you as a random number. They're very excited to see you come there, but once you're there and they take your money, they treat you as a number.

There is a huge Greek Community, but you can get along just fine not being a part of it. Most of the campus is overwhemingly preppy looking, but everyone is very friendly. I've yet to meet someone at K-State who wouldn't help you if you needed it. And surprisingly the student body is more liberal than you would expect. Everyone's political opinions are welcome there.

Professors are generally very intellegent and easy to talk to if you need help. But K-State is historically bad at making their math classes huge. They offer smaller once a week classes, but they are taught by TAs who sometimes don't care, or don't speak English. Math Classes should be taken elsewhere unless you excel at Mathmatics. All the other classes I took, I liked and enjoyed.

There is a preppy/agricultural stereotype. The Greek Soroity/Fraternity life is huge there. Also there is a idea that the whole campus is concervative in political views.

Andrew

For me the best thing about KSU is the interaction I have with other people. The relationships I have formed through involvement in groups and organizations at Kansas State are unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Although KSU is mostly white, there is a sizable popluation of orientals. Many of them are married and/or do graduate work.

I feel known in my department and appreciated in my college. Students have a positive attitude and a good work ethic to go with it, and the professors foster intellectual growth.

The Greek social atmosphere is awesome. Kansas State does a great job of encouraging interaction and making events fun for Greeks.

Kansas State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.